PDA

View Full Version : Papelbons wife "felt" threatened in NY

Run Gardner Run
07-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon blamed the New York media for creating a firestorm that resulted in his pregnant wife being threatened on Tuesday.

Papelbon
MLB.com reported that during a red carpet parade for the All-Star Game that went down Sixth Avenue in Manhattan, Papelbon and his wife Ashley were bombarded by insults from fans.

"I feel like I needed to be in a bullet-proof car," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "My wife is pregnant and she's getting her life threatened. It's stupid."

Papelbon had said that he would welcome closing out the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium even though its the home field of Mariano Rivera.

"I've said from the very beginning, since two days ago, and talked to Tito [Red Sox manager Terry Francona] about it, I said, 'I want Mariano to close.' I understand what it's about to pay your dues in this game and what it's about to put in your time," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "If you were to ask me, of course I wanted to close. That's my competitive nature."

Papelbon said he was shocked when he saw a New York Daily News headline that read "PAPELBUM! Red Sox reliever says he, not Mariano, should close tonight's All-Star Game."

"That was an easy headline for that [newspaper] to say, 'Yeah, Papelbon said he wants to close.' Yeah, of course I do," Papelbon said, according to the site. "That's my competitive nature. But I'm stepping away and saying I don't need to close."

Papelbon told MLB.com that he was so disturbed by the parade incident that he didn't even care if he pitched on Tuesday.

"Your family gets involved like that and you're trying to enjoy an experience with your family, and you have a wife who's pregnant who doesn't feel safe riding in a red-carpet event, you know what I mean? How would you feel?" Papelbon said, according to MLB.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/news/story?id=3491135

Nickday
07-15-2008, 10:55 PM
New York fans were classless pieces of ***** for this Allstar game to visiting players of all teams.

Run Gardner Run
07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Well when you provoke them, they will say ****. The guy was throwing the ring in their faces. And Papelbon isnt the most truthful guy "My dog ate it"

Petertherock
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Yankees suck plain and simple. But really, Red Sox fans are no better...back when I was in my insane years and actually was a Yankees fan I was in Boston and had some Red Sox fan try to light my Yankee jersey on fire.

Run Gardner Run
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
You were a Yankee fan, and now a Red Sox fan? Did you happen to change your mind in 2004?

Petertherock
07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
You were a Yankee fan, and now a Red Sox fan? Did you happen to change your mind in 2004?

Actually, I was a Red Sox fan all my life. Then I changed to a Yankee fan as my act of rebellion against my family and then when I got over that stage in my life I went back home to the Red Sox.

Davey24
07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
The cocky moron deserved every boo he got walking off that mound tonight. He runs his mouth saying that he should close the game instead of Mo, and look what he does, blows the lead for the AL.

Petertherock
07-15-2008, 11:07 PM
The cocky moron deserved every boo he got walking off that mound tonight. He runs his mouth saying that he should close the game instead of Mo, and look what he does, blows the lead for the AL.

In case you didn't see the game is was Navarro that blew the lead. If Tito had left Tek in there this wouldn't have happened.

Davey24
07-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Now we need a comeback. I was actually quite happy when Drew hit the HR to tie it. For one night, we are on the same team. AL dominance must continue, and Mo should get his chance to close it out.

Davey24
07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Awesome!! Damn is that Longoria good. Lets get one more in and win this one.

Petertherock
07-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Well the bad thing is Tito was stupid and used all the players so the advantage goes to the NL. What happens if someone gets hurt now? I sure wouldn't want to make the call to have a pitcher play a position in this game.

Nickday
07-15-2008, 11:24 PM

what about the boos, while he was PITCHING? those were pointless- the CHEERS as the run scored?! i'll LAUGH MY *** OFF if the yankees make the WS and get swept because they lose homefield advantage as they cheer the NL runs. CLASSLESS face it, New York fans lost ANY and ALL class they MIGHT have had at one point. You dont root for the PLAYER, you root for the TEAM, and jonathan papelbon is on the AMERICAN LEAGUE TEAM

Petertherock
07-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Yankee fans know they won't get any higher than 3rd place so they don't care about losing this game.

Davey24
07-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Thats what I'm talking about! Strike em out throw em out. Now lets win it for the AL

Petertherock
07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Rivera is going to blow this one.

Petertherock
07-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Nice DP!!

Davey24
07-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Phew, that was wayyyy too close. Not sure why Young didnt have that one.

Davey24
07-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Lol, is Uggla a little leaguer? Grounds into DP, then those 2 E's

Davey24
07-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Oh come on, bases loaded no outs and they cant hit anything but weak choppers...

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 12:04 AM
The AL Sucks!

Davey24
07-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Lol, I'm just laughing at how bad that inning was and how clutch Tejada just was

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 12:19 AM
The umps suck!

Davey24
07-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Omfg!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
These umpires are showing why we need instant replay. They suck and they are NL umpires obviously.

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 12:26 AM
I will grant that the play at the plate was really close. But the play on second base wasn't even close. He was safe by a mile because he missed the tag. We are going to lose home field advantage because of a bad call by a stupid umpire.

Davey24
07-16-2008, 12:46 AM
This game is just something else..

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 12:56 AM
This is a historic game. We might end up having to forfeit the game if we get to Kazmir.

striker1130
07-16-2008, 01:01 AM

Man what the hell do you want from a young closer who is about to experience an All star game. Even though i, as a Red Sox fan, think the ball should go to Mo in this situation, I am happy he said that. how would you feel if you were in his situation. Of course he wants the ball. He wants to play. If he didn't want to close out the game i would wonder why the hell he is playing in the MLB. You just sound like an idiot calling him cocky and a moron. He did exactly what Mo what have done when he was younger and even what he would probably do now. GO PAP!

Shaiza
07-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Man what the hell do you want from a young closer who is about to experience his first All star game. Even though i, as a Red Sox fan, think the ball should go to Mo in this situation, I am happy he said that. how would you feel if you were in his situation. Of course he wants the ball. He wants to play. If he didn't want to close out the game i would wonder why the hell he is playing in the MLB. You just sound like an idiot calling him cocky and a moron. He did exactly what Mo what have done when he was younger and even what he would probably do now. GO PAP!

third actually, i believe...

and davey, please shut up. You have no clue to what you are talking about, it's pretty funny to read some of the posts you put up. It's the most immature **** I've read in a while.

striker1130
07-16-2008, 01:05 AM
oh yea...forgot he was in the last two, thanks. But the point is still the same

gcoll
07-16-2008, 01:07 AM
This was all much ado about nothing. And just shows you how people can't think.

The New York media can control how the New York fans view certain players.

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 02:48 AM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080715&content_id=3137998&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

During Monday's All-Star media day, Papelbon told reporters that it was in his competitive nature to want to close the final All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium, even if Yankees closer Mariano Rivera was the popular choice. Papelbon said during the same interview that he would completely understand if manager Terry Francona went to Rivera, considered by many to be the best closer of all time. And later in the day, he told a reporter from The Boston Globe that Rivera should close.

But when Papelbon was eating breakfast on Tuesday at the team hotel, he noticed someone reading a New York Daily News with the back page headline, "PAPELBUM! Red Sox reliever says he, not Mariano, should close tonight's All-Star Game."

Even still, Papelbon didn't realize what it would be like for his wife, Ashley, who is due with the couple's first child on Dec. 31, during a seemingly innocent parade.

"I've said from the very beginning, since two days ago, and talked to Tito about it, I said, 'I want Mariano to close.' I understand what it's about to pay your dues in this game and what it's about to put in your time," said Papelbon. "If you were to ask me, of course I wanted to close. That's my competitive nature. I'm not going to back down from anything. That's not what the ... [newspaper] said. It was an easy headline for that [newspaper].

"That was an easy headline for that [paper] to say, 'Yeah, Papelbon said he wants to close.' Yeah, of course I do," said Papelbon. "That's my competitive nature. But I'm stepping away and saying I don't need to close."

The experience had so soured Papelbon that he claimed he was no longer interested in how Francona would use him in Tuesday's game.

"I don't really [care] anymore," Papelbon said. "If I don't even pitch, I don't care."

Clearly, what bothered Papelbon more than the actual story -- and even the headline -- is that his wife's All-Star experience was soured.

"Your family gets involved like that and you're trying to enjoy an experience with your family, and you have a wife who's pregnant who doesn't feel safe riding in a red-carpet event, you know what I mean? How would you feel?" Papelbon said.

This goes to show you what scum bags Yankees media and their fans are. New York tabloid crap at it's best and the Yankee fans who have an IQ of less than 10 fell for it hook, line, and sinker and showed their true colors by threatening a pregnant woman just because she is married to a rival teams player.

Yankees fans are a disgrace to baseball and they deserve to finish in last place. But it was sweet revenge seeing a RED SOX player get the MVP at Yankee stadium as all of the Yankee players were in the dugout watching because they didn't do a thing during the game.

gcoll
07-16-2008, 05:26 AM
This goes to show you what scum bags Yankees media and their fans are
No it doesn't.

Run Gardner Run
07-16-2008, 05:44 AM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080715&content_id=3137998&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

This goes to show you what scum bags Yankees media and their fans are. New York tabloid crap at it's best and the Yankee fans who have an IQ of less than 10 fell for it hook, line, and sinker and showed their true colors by threatening a pregnant woman just because she is married to a rival teams player.

Yankees fans are a disgrace to baseball and they deserve to finish in last place. But it was sweet revenge seeing a RED SOX player get the MVP at Yankee stadium as all of the Yankee players were in the dugout watching because they didn't do a thing during the game.

Actually Yankee fans (myself) wanted Drew to win the MVP because he actually deserved it. So because the guys PR agent told him to retract his statement so he didnt seem like a 100% toolbag its on the NY media? He said what he said, and reporters reported it. Just last week a Red Sox fan killed a Yankee fan. Does that make Red Sox fan a disgrace to baseball? No.

And the Yankee players didnt do anything? The only Red Sox player that did anything (and they had 6) was Drew.

Pedroia- 0/1
Youkilis- 0/2
Manny- 0/2
Papelbon- 1 run in 1 inning
Drew- 2/4 2 RBI 1 BB

Jeter- 1/3
Rodriguez- 0/2
Mariano- 1.2 innings 2 hits 0 runs

So before you **** on players for "not doing anything" check the stats

gcoll
07-16-2008, 06:12 AM
So because the guys PR agent told him to retract his statement so he didnt seem like a 100% toolbag its on the NY media?

Pretty much. You seize on an out of context statement, from a larger interview as a way to rile up the fans.

They really do control what people think. I mean.....the reason Yankee fans dislike A-Rod so much is almost entirely media driven.

Raidaz4Life
07-16-2008, 07:01 AM
I can't say I blame the poor girl but you can't just say yankees fans are classless. All teams have classless fans but that doesn't mean they should be the sole representation of the fan base as a whole.

Yeah it does seem like the yankees have just a few more than everyone else but what else can you do but make frivolous and meaningless threats when your $200 million dollar team can't perform on the field and is slowly wasting away to their hated rivals and a young team that before this year was not ever relevant.

Just make sure you keep it classy guys and don't say anything that the rest of us would not like to be associated with (Boy does it suck being a Lakers fan on PSD with the kind of representation we get)

ZHawk1123
07-16-2008, 08:25 AM
WHAT!?! New Yorkers always show exemplary class!

I can't believe this

Run Gardner Run
07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
I can't say I blame the poor girl but you can't just say yankees fans are classless. All teams have classless fans but that doesn't mean they should be the sole representation of the fan base as a whole.

Yeah it does seem like the yankees have just a few more than everyone else but what else can you do but make frivolous and meaningless threats when your $200 million dollar team can't perform on the field and is slowly wasting away to their hated rivals and a young team that before this year was not ever relevant.

Just make sure you keep it classy guys and don't say anything that the rest of us would not like to be associated with (Boy does it suck being a Lakers fan on PSD with the kind of representation we get)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07072008/news/nationalnews/bat_snit_crazy_118830.htm

instreetlight
07-16-2008, 08:58 AM
why shouldnt he want to close the game? that's his job isn't it? he wouldn't be any good at it if he had any doubt that he was the right person to do it. and, lest we forget, papelbon's WIFE had nothing to do with her husbands comments, yankee fans have two more series at the stadium to boo paps, leave his wife out of it.

p.s. can ppl in ny stop pretending the daily news is a real newspaper please? thanks

lil'papi
07-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Papelbon has a lot to learn. He should just take the high road and agree with whatever the media says. He will be loved and respected. (national media)

Tell them Rivera is the greatest EVER. Then go enjoy the parade. You don't have to tell them you are competitive dumbo we KNOW that , they know THAT.

We all know the NY media is classless. The sheep that follow the media's lead is also sad. Boston media can be stupid too. They just are easier to get called out. (smaller group)

Media guys for the most part are ok. The ones that never played sports kill me. Like Maddog Russo never played a day in their lives. ....he then calls out guys... he couldn't hold their jock straps.

Papelbon is getting big for his britches imo. I love the guys ability too. This year though he has lost a little focus it seems. More about him than team.

NYY fans that act like that are clueless sheep. :rolleyes:

Davey24
07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
We all know the NY media is bloodthirsty and ruthless, and I'm sure Papelbon knew this as well. He should have known better than tio stir the pot by saying "oh I should be closing this game, its my competitive nature, blah blah blah". Like someone else said, we all know you are competitive, and we all know you would ideally like to close. There is no need to stir the pot to the NY media, which will only work against you. As we saw, they immediately threw that quote onto the front page of a tabloid and created a bit of extra hate in NY. So yes, it is very wrong that any player should be insulted or threatned during an all-star game or event, but the guy honestly brings it upon himself with his big mouth. He may be a superstar closer, but he has alot to learn about humility and when to keep his mouth shut. It would do him alot of good in the future and save him alot of trouble.

tc2deuce
07-16-2008, 09:48 AM
just what I expected...I know the NATION would boo the yankee players to a certain extent>>>>tie game and paps gets booed! Embarassing to those true Yankee fans that love the Yanks but also respect the game!:clap:

PHX-SOXFAN
07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
classy NY fans!:clap::clap:

Get all up in arms about honoring the past and take people's words out of context, nice.

Then threaten someone's pregnant wife, very nice!

It doesn't surprise me one bit and I'm actually glad they acted this way. Paps and the sox play better when they feel called out. Besides, their in the position of power in this rivalry anyway.:D

Joba Is Legend
07-16-2008, 11:35 AM

This is a great post. When I heard about what happened, I decided to cross into enemy territory to see the reaction of fans. As a life-long Yankee fan, I am embarassed by what happened. Boo the guy all you want, but NEVER threaten a man's family. I don't care how big of an idiot Papelbon is (and he is an idiot!), no one should've done that. So before you all "bash" the Yankees, their fans and the NY media, please realize that this was only a FEW moronic fans with no brains. I enjoy the rivalry, but this crossed the line!

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
This is a great post. When I heard about what happened, I decided to cross into enemy territory to see the reaction of fans. As a life-long Yankee fan, I am embarassed by what happened. Boo the guy all you want, but NEVER threaten a man's family. I don't care how big of an idiot Papelbon is (and he is an idiot!), no one should've done that. So before you all "bash" the Yankees, their fans and the NY media, please realize that this was only a FEW moronic fans with no brains. I enjoy the rivalry, but this crossed the line!

If Paps is an idiot then Joba is a friggin' moron.

You do realize Paps never said he SHOULD close don't you? He said he WANTED to close and then added "But I completely understand if Tito has Rivera close since he is the best in the game." You Yank-me's fans believe anything that is in print don't you?

Raidaz4Life
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07072008/news/nationalnews/bat_snit_crazy_118830.htm

Lol calm down I wasn't saying they do I was just saying that it just seems like they do since

1. We are rivals so all we hear about are the bad things the other does and

2. The yankees have far more fans than the average team therefore odds are they will have more classless fans but I guarantee we have just as many and if we started threatening a yankee players pregnant wife or even the player himself I would be furious because that is wrong at all levels of competitive sports. I don't care who the player is they should have the right to play for whoever they like without worrying about the safety of their family because some fans don't like them.

I can understand a little heated exchange if we were actually in a series with each other but for christ sake it was the all star game we were on the same team. I admit I was cheering for Arod and Jeter and hoping Rivera didn't give up any runs but that doesn't make me any less of a fan than the fans making threats

ccugrad1
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Here is the thing: I am a Marlins fan and yes, I am not a big fan of the Phillies, Braves, Mets, and Nationals. But at the All-Star Game, I was hoping every Phillies, Braves, Mets, and Nationals All-Star put every ball in play for a hit because it would have meant homefield advantage for the Marlins if they made the World Series.

Yes, the Yankees and Red Sox are hated rivals. But on July 15th, the All-Star Game, they should have been cheering for one another to get every National League batter they faced out. To cheer against Papelbon for giving up the lead shows me the Yankees don't care about having 4 of 7 games, should they make the World Series, at home.

Card&Al
07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
I was actually hoping for an NL win last night. With a WS sweep, the Sox have had to win in on the road...I'd like to see them win it at Fenway ;)

goldglove212
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM

thats tottally unneccasry he didnt blow the lead navarros throw was god awful theres no need to bring peoples families into it especially a PREGNANT woman this is supposed to be a fun time for players and there families

ccspence8
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM

I guess you were watching a different game then all of us.

I never knew you could score on a sac fly from CF when your standing on 2nd base. OH WAIT that's right the catcher ****ed up and threw the ball away allowing him to score on a sac fly from 3rd base. ****in ******.

ccspence8
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
The All Star game really did show how Yankee Stadium is. A bunch of *** hole Yankee fans booing Red Sox players who actually contributed to the game.

I loved how they were booing Drew when he won MVP. Believe me they weren't chanting DREW.

The highlight of the night is when Yankee fans were chanting OVERRATED to Papelbon. And then he strikes out Uggla. Shut them up and then they have the nerve to boo him when he strikes out David Wright.

I guess we won't have to worry about Papelbon being a Yankee. Especially when Yankee fans will be crying about having no closer when Mo is gone.

CBON9
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM

You do realize Paps never said he SHOULD close don't you? He said he WANTED to close and then added "But I completely understand if Tito has Rivera close since he is the best in the game." You Yank-me's fans believe anything that is in print don't you?

What Joba have to do with this?

You do realize that Papelbon made that "understanding" statement at the end of the interview don't you? That was after he had the chance to think about what just came out of his mouth.

"If I was managing the team, I would close," Papelbon said. "I'm not managing the team, so it don't matter."

"After his 50-minute media session, Papelbon backtracked on his statements, telling the Boston Globe that he had had a change of heart after answering questions on the subject for the better part of an hour.

Papelbon grabbed the Boston reporter's tape recorder, held it to his mouth and said, "This is Jonathan Papelbon, closer of the Boston Red Sox. Mariano Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."

And please don't bucketize all Yankee fans as "classless". I lived in the Boston area for 8 years, and there isn't much difference between a die-hard Yankee fan and a die-hard Boston fan when it comes down to it. Honestly. There are good ones and there are idiotic ones. Unfortunately, Papelbon's wife happened to be sitting amongst idiots. No one should go to an event like that and feel threatened.

Run Gardner Run
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM

At least we dont cheer for teams when they win. You admitted to being a Yankee fan and then Boston fan. That is the definition of Bandwagon. Oh, and how is Joba a moron? Oh because of the fist pump? You mean the same thing K Rod Papelbon and 90% of other relievers when excited? At least Joba doesnt wreak havoc in the dugout like Papelbon when he loses a game.

Oh and he said IF I WAS MANAGER I WOULD CLOSE. So yes he basically said he should close.

Rosh
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Those fans were freaking IDIOTS yesterday. I was happy for Pap when he shut up the "Overrated" chanters with a strikeout. Plus, his comments about Rivera were completely overblown...in the article he was very respectful to Mariano.

Run Gardner Run
07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Those fans were freaking IDIOTS yesterday. I was happy for Pap when he shut up the "Overrated" chanters with a strikeout. Plus, his comments about Rivera were completely overblown...in the article he was very respectful to Mariano.

That was AFTER his PR agent told him to retract his statement.

And they were chanting Overrated because he gave up a run. And like you have never chanted overrated to Jeter at Fenway :rolleyes:

U1timateCubsFan
07-16-2008, 05:16 PM

And they were chanting Overrated because he gave up a run. And like you have never chanted overrated to Jeter at Fenway :rolleyes:

This whole thing is overblown. I mean it's pretty stupid to threaten a pregnant woman...no matter the circumstance. I'm not saying that what Papelbon said was right or wrong but the way Yankee fans retaliated was uncalled for.

btw Rosh is a Cubs fan in case you didn't know

Run Gardner Run
07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
This whole thing is overblown. I mean it's pretty stupid to threaten a pregnant woman...no matter the circumstance. I'm not saying that what Papelbon said was right or wrong but the way Yankee fans retaliated was uncalled for.

btw Rosh is a Cubs fan in case you didn't know

Is there any proof that his wife was threatened besides his word?

This is the same guy that said his dog ate the WS clinching ball:rolleyes:

quiksilver2491
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM

I don't think you read the whole thing, or your obviously ignoring part of it. He called Mariano "the Godfather of all relievers" in the SAME interview that he said he wanted to close, unless his PR agent and him have a telepathic bond then I don't think he was getting any advice there. Of course he wants to close the game, he wouldn't be a closer if he didn't. Then again what else do Yankee fans have to talk about when there team is sitting in 3rd behind a team of 25 year olds and their most hated rivals :rolleyes:

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 05:26 PM
hey guys, i was looking at trade rumors and stumbled onto the forum, so i thought i would register. being a red sox fan, i would like to defend papelbon, because he is my favorite player besides pedroia. however, i don't believe that is possible here, seeing that the whole situation could have been avoided if papelbon had just defered to rivera at the beginning of the interview instead of at the end. but he is very thick headed. that's what i like about him haha. :D once the tabloid came out, we all knew that the new york faithful was gonna jump all over the guy, it's just the way things are. the fans overall didn't bother me. what did bother me was the small group of classless jerks who threatened mrs. papelbon. regardless if she was pregnant or not pregnant, it is just plain wrong to threaten a family member for what the player says. and in response to run gardner run, the overrated chants came before he gave up the run, a run which was unearned by the way. and we chanted "nomah's bettuh" when jeter came up haha. :D

Rosh
07-16-2008, 05:30 PM

They were chanting 'overrated' BEFORE he gave up the run. And no, I haven't chanted 'overrated' to Jeter at Fenway, because, I'm a Cubs fan, and I don't really care.

And he had interviews with reporters BEFORE his PR agent told him to retract the statement which praised Rivera. The only reason his agent told him to retract said statement was because it was being overblown by the media.

Run Gardner Run
07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
When you say you would close over THE greatest closer of all time in Yankee Stadium "blah blah blah" (Papelbon) if he were the manager then he deserves everything he gets from the media. The kid (yes he's a kid) doesnt respect greatness when he sees it

Run Gardner Run
07-16-2008, 05:44 PM
No one is denying that the kid has talent and should close for his team, but he is whining because of the reaction THAT HE BROUGHT ON HIMSELF. What does he expect in NY? This isnt Arizona where it would have been ignored, this is NY, where Yankees legneds are practically Gods, and Mariano is among them. Its not like Mariano is having a bad or even decent year. He is having arguably the best year for a closer. He doesnt have the most saves because he hasnt had the chances to. He is perfect on the year. Only him and Lidge can say that. Papelbon may have 3 more saves, K Rod may have 10 more saves, but they also have 4-5 more blown saves where Mariano has 0. Papelbon doesnt deserve the 9th inning spot in the AL or NL for that matter this season. If he cant understand that then why does he say anything.

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
run gardner run has a point, and we all agree that papelbon brought this on himself, but let me just ask you this: how would you feel if an article was published about you and only the negative parts of it were emphasized? i'm sure you would feel just as upset and slighted as papelbon did. i mean, he shouldn't have said anything at all, but to be fair, he did call rivera the godfather of all closers and said that tito would give the ball to rivera regardless of what papelbon thought about it. and the daily news chose only to emphasize the other part where he expressed his desire, emphasis on desire, to be the one closing the game. i know you love rivera and the yankees, but put yourself in pap's shoes for just a second and think about how you would feel, because i'm sure its not good. furthermore, i don't think you should say that papelbon doesn't deserve the ninth inning in the all-star game, because in my opinion anyone who made the team deserves it. it is, after all, and ALL-STAR team.

gcoll
07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
When you say you would close over THE greatest closer of all time in Yankee Stadium "blah blah blah" (Papelbon) if he were the manager then he deserves everything he gets from the media. The kid (yes he's a kid) doesnt respect greatness when he sees it

But he has made other comments (even before this interview) that speak glowingly about Rivera. Even in that interview, he called Mariano "The Godfather of all closers" or something like that.

And of course Mariano is the best closer of all time. I would want him in the game, shutting the door. But I wouldn't go swimming at his house afterwards, that's all.

mmmdelish
07-16-2008, 06:43 PM
No one is denying that the kid has talent and should close for his team, but he is whining because of the reaction THAT HE BROUGHT ON HIMSELF. What does he expect in NY? This isnt Arizona where it would have been ignored, this is NY, where Yankees legneds are practically Gods, and Mariano is among them. Its not like Mariano is having a bad or even decent year. He is having arguably the best year for a closer. He doesnt have the most saves because he hasnt had the chances to. He is perfect on the year. Only him and Lidge can say that. Papelbon may have 3 more saves, K Rod may have 10 more saves, but they also have 4-5 more blown saves where Mariano has 0. Papelbon doesnt deserve the 9th inning spot in the AL or NL for that matter this season. If he cant understand that then why does he say anything.

its sad when fearing for your life is what you expect when your in new york

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
its sad when fearing for your life is what you expect when your in new york

well said...haha :D

jcs88
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Being a New Yorker and a Yankee fan, I will admit that New York fans are tough and very volatile, so you really have to watch what you say. Just remember what happened to John Rocker, I mean that guy was seriously not safe being in New York back in 2000. Maybe the fans overreacted to Papelbon, but Sox fans have to understand that he is very hatable from a Yankee standpoint. When you're on the Red Sox with that kind of attitude and you say something stupid like he did, you have to expect to get hell from Yankee fans, that's all there is to it.

HighVelocity
07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
What did Papelbon and his wife expect from the Yankee fans? The Yankees have the most intense rivalry in sports with the Red Sox. Red Sox fans would have done the same thing if given the chance to. You can't blame the Yankee fans. Papelbon is stupid in the first place for bringing his wife along with him. Did he expect Yankee fans to greet him and his wife with open arms after what he said about closing the All-Star game? What did Papelbon and his wife think...They were going to attack them? This shows that Papelbon doesn't really know the intensity of the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry.

SocksPhan
07-16-2008, 08:46 PM

Apparently 50,000 morons got tickets to the game last night. Im sorry, but fans with any grasp of the game and the importance of the event would not have been getting all caught up in anti red sox chants on the last All star game played in perhaps the most hallowed park in all of sports...and they should have cheered Francona for choosing girardi...it was a nice gesture on his part..Girardi had no business being there over much more deserving managers...It was a just pathetic mob behavior all day in NY...its too bad they really missed the chance to show they have class...

SocksPhan
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Pap had a good inning if not for the throwing error. two K's and a fly out to center..if not for the throwing error...there was nothing he could do...he was gonna get booed no matter what...even if he struck out the side

SocksPhan
07-16-2008, 08:50 PM
But he has made other comments (even before this interview) that speak glowingly about Rivera. Even in that interview, he called Mariano "The Godfather of all closers" or something like that.

And of course Mariano is the best closer of all time. I would want him in the game, shutting the door. But I wouldn't go swimming at his house afterwards, that's all.

OOOHH - that was a cheap shot....I wonder if anyone caught onto what you were referencing

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 09:50 PM
What did Papelbon and his wife expect from the Yankee fans? The Yankees have the most intense rivalry in sports with the Red Sox. Red Sox fans would have done the same thing if given the chance to. You can't blame the Yankee fans. Papelbon is stupid in the first place for bringing his wife along with him. Did he expect Yankee fans to greet him and his wife with open arms after what he said about closing the All-Star game? What did Papelbon and his wife think...They were going to attack them? This shows that Papelbon doesn't really know the intensity of the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry.

my friend, you have to be kidding me. are you sure you don't want to retract any of the statements that i put in bold? how exactly is papelbon stupid for bringing his wife along with him? do you know how many other players brought their wives, if they were married, with them? there were alot of players who brought their young children, wives, and other family members with them, not just papelbon. and yes, i think that papelbon and his wife did indeed think that they could have been attacked...there seemed to be a select group of moronic and borderline psychotic fans in that crowd. the bottom line is that it doesn't matter how intense the yankee fans are about the rivalry. it is only a game, and we should never forget that. please think about what you say before you end up sounding ignorant next time you post.

jcs88
07-16-2008, 11:08 PM
my friend, you have to be kidding me. are you sure you don't want to retract any of the statements that i put in bold? how exactly is papelbon stupid for bringing his wife along with him? do you know how many other players brought their wives, if they were married, with them? there were alot of players who brought their young children, wives, and other family members with them, not just papelbon. and yes, i think that papelbon and his wife did indeed think that they could have been attacked...there seemed to be a select group of moronic and borderline psychotic fans in that crowd. the bottom line is that it doesn't matter how intense the yankee fans are about the rivalry. it is only a game, and we should never forget that. please think about what you say before you end up sounding ignorant next time you post.

uhhhhh...does it make any sense that, if papelbon thinks he might get attacked, he would bring his pregnant wife along? does THAT make any sense? :confused:

Shaiza
07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
uhhhhh...does it make any sense that, if papelbon thinks he might get attacked, he would bring his pregnant wife along? does THAT make any sense? :confused:

Buddy, he's saying that Papelbon thought they were going to get attacked after the threats IN NEW YORK. When did he get the threat? When he was with his wife IN NEW YORK. :bang::bang::horse:

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 11:13 PM

no, i'm sure they didn't think that they were going to be attacked before the parade. it was during the parade, when the fans got a little too intense, that they may have felt like they were not as safe as possible.

Shaiza
07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
This thread has officially been filled with media-believing idiots. Oh how the media can take something out of context so easily.

jcs88
07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Buddy, he's saying that Papelbon thought they were going to get attacked after the threats IN NEW YORK. When did he get the threat? When he was with his wife IN NEW YORK. :bang::bang::horse:

He didnt make that point clear then, and even so, he should have known Yankee fans would not be happy with what he said. He underestimated how Yankee fans feel about Mariano Rivera. He underestimated how Yankee fans feel about Yankee Stadium closing down. And he underestimated how Yankee fans wont tolerate a Red Sox player putting himself on a pedestal at the expense of a Yankee great in this special situation. Quite simply, he underestimated the rivalry. When all of this happened, I wasn't the least bit shocked. I expected him to get bashed. And, sorry, but he shouldve expected it too.

So, in a way, I think you can call Papelbon stupid for dragging his wife into that situation. He's a part of this rivalry, he should have known better.

Shaiza
07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
He didnt make that point clear then, and even so, he should have known Yankee fans would not be happy with what he said. He underestimated how Yankee fans feel about Mariano Rivera. He underestimated how Yankee fans feel about Yankee Stadium closing down. And he underestimated how Yankee fans wont tolerate a Red Sox player putting himself on a pedestal at the expense of a Yankee great in this special situation. Quite simply, he underestimated the rivalry. When all of this happened, I wasn't the least bit shocked. I expected him to get bashed. And, sorry, but he shouldve expected it too.

So, in a way, I think you can call Papelbon stupid for dragging his wife into that situation. He's a part of this rivalry, he should have known better.

So let me get this straight. Because Papelbon WANTED to close the game (but yet showed respect to Rivera), he and his wife should've known that they'd receive threats?

Dude, get it straight. Baseball is baseball. Life is life. Put yourself in Pap's situation. :bang::crazy:

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 11:22 PM

i'm sorry, i've tried to be sensible with yankee fans today, but you my friend just don't give up, and you're extremely ignorant for eating right out of the media's hand. like i said before, SEVERAL players brought wives to this parade, not just papelbon. it's only a game, but apparently yankee fans forget about that when they're stuck in third place.

jcs88
07-16-2008, 11:27 PM
So let me get this straight. Because Papelbon WANTED to close the game (but yet showed respect to Rivera), he and his wife should've known that they'd receive threats?

Dude, get it straight. Baseball is baseball. Life is life. Put yourself in Pap's situation. :bang::crazy:

He should have known he would get a hard time. He only showed respect to Rivera when he realized what he had said. In that situation you shouldnt even hint that you should close. Seriously, that's ridiculous. And you know he meant it. The guy's got a bigger ego than just about anyone.

Dude, YOU have to get it straight. To a lot of Yankee fans, baseball IS life. That's what you're not getting. Obviously, Papelbon didn't get that either until yesterday.

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
well if baseball is life to yankee fans then i guess a third place finish would have most of new york checking into rehab.

jcs88
07-16-2008, 11:33 PM
i'm sorry, i've tried to be sensible with yankee fans today, but you my friend just don't give up, and you're extremely ignorant for eating right out of the media's hand. like i said before, SEVERAL players brought wives to this parade, not just papelbon. it's only a game, but apparently yankee fans forget about that when they're stuck in third place.

Eating out of the media's hand? I don't pay much attention to the media. I'm just a Yankee fan looking at the situation as objectively as possible. Listen, I'm not saying what those Yankee fans did was right. It was very wrong. What I AM saying is that I'm not surprised it happened, and Papelbon shouldn't have been too surprised either.

It's Yankees and Red Sox, go to a Yankees/Red Sox game and you will understand what it's all about. How about when Red Sox fans taunted Roger Clemens' wife in Fenway Park in 1999? Was that OK? When it comes to this rivalry it's a lot more than a game, understand and accept that.

Shaiza
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
He should have known he would get a hard time. He only showed respect to Rivera when he realized what he had said. In that situation you shouldnt even hint that you should close. Seriously, that's ridiculous. And you know he meant it. The guy's got a bigger ego than just about anyone.

Dude, YOU have to get it straight. To a lot of Yankee fans, baseball IS life. That's what you're not getting. Obviously, Papelbon didn't get that either until yesterday.

That still gives no right for any Yankees fan to threaten his wife.
You're telling me he should've expected threats. I still, still don't understand how that is expected. You are a twisted person if you thought the threats were obviously coming.

jcs88
07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
That still gives no right for any Yankees fan to threaten his wife.
You're telling me he should've expected threats. I still, still don't understand how that is expected. You are a twisted person if you thought the threats were obviously coming.

I don't think that makes me twisted, that just makes me a realist. I have a good understanding of this rivalry. In some ways maybe this rivalry is a bit twisted. It can be that intense at times. This rivalry is just crazy. And it's been heightened by the Red Sox winning 2 championships. Maybe some Yankee fans have become very bitter and resentful. What can you do?

Superiority
07-17-2008, 12:15 AM
well if baseball is life to yankee fans then i guess a third place finish would have most of new york checking into rehab.

BOOOOOOOOO

pear1jamten
07-17-2008, 01:22 AM
i want to apologize if you see any disgusting comments from yankees' fans in this thread or on our thread about this subject... because i have seen a few already in ours... we don't all think this way... these are just a few ignorant fans probably not past the age of 15... no one should ever be threatened with their life over a game period.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246780

and thats the ***-kicking i took from some yankee fans for defending papelbon's wife.... not papelbon of course :) just his wife.

Apophis
07-17-2008, 01:56 AM
The All Star game really did show how Yankee Stadium is. A bunch of *** hole Yankee fans booing Red Sox players who actually contributed to the game.

I was actually at the game.. Even though it was in Yankees Staidum, there were many other fans of other teams there as well.. There were tons of National league fans on hand..

I loved how they were booing Drew when he won MVP. Believe me they weren't chanting DREW.

You heard boos in Yankees Stadium so you automatically assume they were all from Yankees fans.. The section I was in was clapping and cheering for Drew, because we felt he deserved the MVP.

The highlight of the night is when Yankee fans were chanting OVERRATED to Papelbon. And then he strikes out Uggla. Shut them up and then they have the nerve to boo him when he strikes out David Wright.

You do know that NY has 2 baseball teams right? There were tons of Mets fans on hand as well... So of course they would boo Papelbon when he struck out Wright...

If its true that his wife was threatened, then that was totally uncalled for. I dont believe anyone's family is fair game.. But to say that the Yankees fans are **** because of this is wrong as well.. That would be the same if I were to say that all Boston fans are classless because they threatened Jason's Kidd's wife during a Boston Celtic game, with chants of wife beater and other horrible things.. But I know its not all Boston fans who are like that..

Who threatened her? How do we know it wasn't a bunch of 12 year old punk kids... For all we know it could had been kids who did this.. and we all know the lack of maturity kids can have...

So I dont think its right to catergorize all Yankees fans as pieces of **** or being outright classless.. Because every team has those kinds of fans... but they are not the majority...

The Intimidator
07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
I was actually at the game.. Even though it was in Yankees Staidum, there were many other fans of other teams there as well.. There were tons of National league fans on hand..

You heard boos in Yankees Stadium so you automatically assume they were all from Yankees fans.. The section I was in was clapping and cheering for Drew, because we felt he deserved the MVP.

You do know that NY has 2 baseball teams right? There were tons of Mets fans on hand as well... So of course they would boo Papelbon when he struck out Wright...

If its true that his wife was threatened, then that was totally uncalled for. I dont believe anyone's family is fair game.. But to say that the Yankees fans are **** because of this is wrong as well.. That would be the same if I were to say that all Boston fans are classless because they threatened Jason's Kidd's wife during a Boston Celtic game, with chants of wife beater and other horrible things.. But I know its not all Boston fans who are like that..

Who threatened her? How do we know it wasn't a bunch of 12 year old punk kids... For all we know it could had been kids who did this.. and we all know the lack of maturity kids can have...

So I dont think its right to catergorize all Yankees fans as pieces of **** or being outright classless.. Because every team has those kinds of fans... but they are not the majority...

we know that it wasn't a bunch of 12 year old kids...come on, don't be naive. papelbon and his wife can handle some twelve year olds i'm sure. these were most likely some idiotic fans in their mid twenties. these were legitimate threats...not some pre teens saying "you suck".

Run Gardner Run
07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
we know that it wasn't a bunch of 12 year old kids...come on, don't be naive. papelbon and his wife can handle some twelve year olds i'm sure. these were most likely some idiotic fans in their mid twenties. these were legitimate threats...not some pre teens saying "you suck".

How do you know what kind of threats they were? You werent there. No one seemed to be from what it sounds like except Papelbon and his wife

IndiansFan337
07-17-2008, 08:32 AM
I know it is a big rivalry between these two teams, but that is simply taking it too far.

I'm sure whoever threatened her was not serious & possibly even thought it was funny or would get a rise out of the fans around him/her when he/she said it. But it really is immature, foolish, embarrassing for the fans of NY & simply ignorant to say something like that.

lil'papi
07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
At the game there was drinking so booing and other expletives are a fact of life. People drink they get courage. Same in Fenway.But to birate his wife on a day when most aren't drinking is absurd.

At least you can use the liquid courage excuse for this you have none. Doesn't matter what he said. People that can't seperate life from a game.... that is the sad part.

Again Papelbon is media STUPID plain and simple. He is getting too big for his britches plain and simple. He needs to learn some media manners. Just tell them what they want to hear. Period.......

BTW, isn't that particular paper on par with Enquirer?:p

CBON9
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Well said Apophis. Nice post.

After the comments papelbon made in the press, despite stating his retraction, he should have known that a few extra boos were going to come his way during the parade. The same thing would have been expected had a NYY made similar statements, then had to endure a parade in Boston. Getting his wife involved is where it went too far. Lots of players wives take a ribbing when in the stands. I am not saying that its right, but it does happen. Threats though, are uncalled for, no matter what.

Shaiza
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I am not categorizing any Yankees fans. But if they have the nerve to come here and say that it should've been expected, or it was obvious, that's what gets me mad. There are times when we have to realize it's only a game, and rivalries don't necessarily mean threatening other players' wives.

Apophis
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I am not categorizing any Yankees fans. But if they have the nerve to come here and say that it should've been expected, or it was obvious, that's what gets me mad. There are times when we have to realize it's only a game, and rivalries don't necessarily mean threatening other players' wives.

You are absolutely right man... Wives, kids, family are off limits... There was no reason to threaten the Mrs... last I heard his wife does not play for the sox.. or does she? :eyebrow: :D

I heard a rumor that it was Madonna who made the threats... Can anyone verify this?

Run Gardner Run
07-17-2008, 02:09 PM
You are absolutely right man... Wives, kids, family are off limits... There was no reason to threaten the Mrs... last I heard his wife does not play for the sox.. or does she? :eyebrow: :D

I heard a rumor that it was Madonna who made the threats... Can anyone verify this?

Wrong. It was Jeter's honeys. He told Mariano he got his back, so he told those 3 of the top 10 hottest women that if they want some more jeterian blood in them, they will threaten Papelbons wife

RedSoxRok34
07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
i watched the allstar game with my family, and we were aghast at the sheer level of classless, tactless behavior of the yankee fans. if the ASG was in boston, i would have clapped for rivera, posada, cano etc if he was there, probably just stood silent for jeter and arod. only guy i might boo is damon.

heck, they were booing drew when he got the MVP award. they guy LED YOUR TEAM TO VICTORY, and they STILL boo him! there's a difference between enjoying a rivalry and a total lack of respect.

as for threatening a player's pregnant wife, that's just so low it's indescribable. im sorry new yorkers, but as a whole, you blew what could have been a truly awesome event for the baseball world with this kind of behavior.

"You're still my enemy in the morning"
"You're still my enemy tonight. But even enemies can show respect"

from the movie Troy. so true

The Intimidator
07-17-2008, 05:23 PM
well said.

jcs88
07-17-2008, 11:01 PM

Wow I can't believe you continue to put down what I said. I don't get what is so terrible about what I said. What they did was uncalled for and atrocious. I NEVER SAID IT WAS RIGHT. But I just wasn't surprised. When it comes to this rivalry I expect the worst. Come on pal, there have been cases of serious assaults between fans over this rivalry. Maybe I just have a better grip on reality than you do. I'm gonna drop it here because it's over with, but you obviously have no clue about the intensity of this rivalry.

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow I can't believe you continue to put down what I said. I don't get what is so terrible about what I said. What they did was uncalled for and atrocious. I NEVER SAID IT WAS RIGHT. But I just wasn't surprised. When it comes to this rivalry I expect the worst. Come on pal, there have been cases of serious assaults between fans over this rivalry. Maybe I just have a better grip on reality than you do. I'm gonna drop it here because it's over with, but you obviously have no clue about the intensity of this rivalry.

will you please stop insulting our intelligence? we ALL know how intense the rivalry is. our point is that it should never leave the field, but in this case it did.

jcs88
07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
will you please stop insulting our intelligence? we ALL know how intense the rivalry is. our point is that it should never leave the field, but in this case it did.

And can you please stop egging me on in this plaid out thread? insulting your intelligence? if i was insulting your intelligence you should have said so in the first place, admitted i had a point, and moved on, instead of continuing to argue with me.

now that we're on the same page i hope this thread can finally be laid to rest.

nyyfan4life
07-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Well she wasn't even threatened, atleast I dont think she was. From the articles I read, Papelbon said that she felt unsafe in NY where the crowd was so hostile to Papelbon, her husband.