PDA

View Full Version : Camby to Clips for...only a 2nd rounder

DaoudS
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3491156

wow...I am sure the Raptors could've given a better offer.

nads83
07-15-2008, 09:34 PM
we could not. denver wanted to dump salary. clips had cap space to eat his salary. it sucks but tor had no shot considering our payroll

star
07-15-2008, 09:35 PM
well couldnt we have 3-wayed the deal?

we have a supposed CREATIVE GM ...

DaoudS
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
could've sent expiring contracts and a pick.

marvILLous
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
although it would be nice to have camby.. that would leave us with bosh, JO, and camby.. not one of them should be coming off the bench. what? does that mean we would trade JO?? bosh at SF? nope.. no reason to go for camby.

The Wise 1
07-15-2008, 09:49 PM
although it would be nice to have camby.. that would leave us with bosh, JO, and camby.. not one of them should be coming off the bench. what? does that mean we would trade JO?? bosh at SF? nope.. no reason to go for camby.

I am sure Oneal or Camby wouldnt mind playing behind one another and Bosh. It's different when you come off the bench for a franchise player and a 6 time allstar instead of Joe Blow. He could still average over 30+ minutes off the bench. Anyways this all doesnt matter because there's no way we could off got him, like nads83 said.

could've sent expiring contracts and a pick.

No because they would still have salary for this year. I am guessing Denver wants to get under the cap for this year.

The Wise 1
07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
well couldnt we have 3-wayed the deal?

we have a supposed CREATIVE GM ...

Nope, if your excepting a contract and your over the cap, you have to give up the same amount of money. Theres nothing he could of done.

greg_ory_2005
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Thats just an absolute steal for the Clips.

Raptors27
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
This is gonna help the Clipps, Camby and Kaman they will play pg,sg,sf,c,c no pf haha

Cortez
07-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Bullllll

Diego_Le
07-15-2008, 10:17 PM
why this is sick denver got robbed even if they wanted cap space this is a dumb.

Ramon Nivar
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
They wanted to get under the luxury cap more than just cap space, so expirings wouldn't work. The Clippers were just in the right place at the right time in the perfect situation.

conway429
07-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I am sure Oneal or Camby wouldnt mind playing behind one another and Bosh. It's different when you come off the bench for a franchise player and a 6 time allstar instead of Joe Blow. He could still average over 30+ minutes off the bench.

How do you figure he'd be playing 30+ minutes....
PF + C = 96 minutes/game.
Bosh will take about 38 minutes...
a healthy JO will take 35....
that leaves 23 minutes, and with Bargnani playing some time at C, I don't see room for much more than 15 minutes... and that's ignoring Humphries or whoever else.
It's unnecessary to have him, it could only cause problems and unrest... our big men will be more than fine this year.

B2B
07-15-2008, 11:51 PM
After trading Camby the Denver front court players

{Nene (who's also got injury concerns)
{Kmart
{Hunter

To me this is an opening for a trade. They would need a Forward but they don't want to have a large contract or they wouldn't have moved Camby in the first place.

Toronto Trades

Bargs 5,176,440

Denver Trades

J.R Smith S&T

Denver

Nene/Hunter
Kmart/Bargs or Humphries
Melo/Klieza
AI/Weems
Carter/Green

Toronto

O'Neal/Humphries/Jawai
Bosh/Graham/Humphries
Moon/Kapono/Graham
J.R Smith/Parker/Adams
Calderon/Ukic/Vet PG 2.7 mil

Or insted of Bargnani we can offer Hump who's salary is 3.2 mil.

marvILLous
07-16-2008, 12:09 AM
bargnani for jr smith? nah man that ain't happening + it ain't worth it. humphries for smith is more realistic but i don't know if denver would be interested.

B2B
07-16-2008, 12:15 AM
bargnani for jr smith? nah man that ain't happening + it ain't worth it. humphries for smith is more realistic but i don't know if denver would be interested.

I based the trade on the fact that Denver would only have KMart/Nene/Hunter in the front court. They moved Camby to save money but they're too thin up front Hump is a cheap forward at 3.2 mil which I think is Denver's qualifying offer for J.R Smith. With Iverson/Jones/Weems I could see them moving Smith a backcourt player for a cheap forward in Hump.

The Wise 1
07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
How do you figure he'd be playing 30+ minutes....
PF + C = 96 minutes/game.
Bosh will take about 38 minutes...
a healthy JO will take 35....
that leaves 23 minutes, and with Bargnani playing some time at C, I don't see room for much more than 15 minutes... and that's ignoring Humphries or whoever else.
It's unnecessary to have him, it could only cause problems and unrest... our big men will be more than fine this year.

I assumed that if we got Camby, we would get rid of Andrea for a wing. Bosh 32 mpg, Oneal 32 mpg and Camby 32 mpg. If you have a player of Camby like caliber coming off the bench you can save Bosh and Oneal during the season. Anyways this a mute point since we coud never get him. My point was that Oneal or Camby wouldnt mind coming off the bench for 1 another.

clehmun
07-16-2008, 12:36 AM
sucks to be a denver fan.
camby's salary wasn't even horrible. he's only making 8-9 million a year? and only two years left.
and atleast get a first round pick man.
heck atleast get a 2nd round pick!! the clippers don't even "get" a 2nd round pick, they only have the option to "exchange" it.

nothing against denver fans, but that denver FO does not deserve to make the playoffs. i hope they don't.

mariotubes
07-16-2008, 01:22 AM
colangelo couldve traded for camby instead of trading for oneal, and then we had tj and some more assets to get our wing man that we desperately need... maybe maggette

The Wise 1
07-16-2008, 01:26 AM
colangelo couldve traded for camby instead of trading for oneal, and then we had tj and some more assets to get our wing man that we desperately need... maybe maggette

Maybe he tried. Denver got capspace this year. We couldnt of offer3ed that.

RapsFan4Life
07-16-2008, 08:24 AM

camby can come off the bench and having that caliber of a player splitting min with JO would be amazing I know he is cocky and probably would get mad but he has to understand he is not a star, and we could move money we wont need the Hump any more and with Camby BC wouldnt have signed Jawaii

or we could have still had TJ and released Rasho, imagin our starting line up the same but with TJ and camby on the bench .... Celtics we are coming for you !

i think BC could have made this work ... esspecially since we are a team that NEEDS CENTERS !!!

Mile High Champ
07-16-2008, 08:37 AM
We dont need camby after getting JO. Its just that simple. plus he is 34 years old and yes he has been healthy the past few yeas but his durability was always a cause for concern. The raps could never match the nuggets offer. They want to rebuild now and the clippers deal gives them that option right away. Clearly the team was going nowhere with marcus camby and the clippers were for sure not going to offer a first rounder for him so the second rounder was all that was left. This trade long term is going to really help the nuggets in their quest to rebuild a franchise in need of some change. Too many people are left crying about BC should of done more to get him.. blahh blahh blahh. Their are much more important roster isssues to adress rather than bringing on a 34 year old center when JO and Bosh are already in the fold.

Cheers

pebloemer
07-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Summary of what has been discussed with my own thoughts:

Two issues have been raised: Is it possible and should we do it.

Star proposed that with a creative GM than it could be done. Denver obviously just wants the cap space for this year and the Clippers were the team that could offer that. A possible three way trade with a creative GM would be the only way that getting Camby could be possible. Meaning, Clippers have what Denver wants, what would to clippers want instead of Camby? We would have to get into the trade discussion with a better package than Camby that would equal Camby's ten mill a year contract. The only package I could think of would be likely highlighted by Bargnani (Clippers get PF to play beside Kaman, Raptors would not beable to find minutes for Bargs, Camby, JO and Bosh). So: Bargnani/Hump/Joey or Bargnani/Kapono or Bargnani/Parker would be three reasonable trades. Other possibility would be to Sign and Trade Delfino included in the mix, but the Raptors would have to sign Delfino for more money than they offered and he would need to accept. This option would put the Raptors over luxury tax which the MLSE would not let them do. So, here would be your options:

Bargnani, Hump, Joey for Camby
Bargnani, Kapono for Camby
Bargnani, Parker for Camby

Now all of these deals didn't need to be done at the time of the trade, really, they can be done anytime, so the window would still be open.

The question becomes would you make this trade? Would BC?

I personally do not think the Raptors are giving up on Bargs, nor do I think they should, so for me, I say no chance. They can (provided the Clippers would accept one fo the above packages), but they shouldn't.

Anywho, would you make that trade?

blujaysrock
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
we could not. denver wanted to dump salary. clips had cap space to eat his salary. it sucks but tor had no shot considering our payroll

hes overrated anyways i'd rather see JO

Raptors27
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Summary of what has been discussed with my own thoughts:

Two issues have been raised: Is it possible and should we do it.

Star proposed that with a creative GM than it could be done. Denver obviously just wants the cap space for this year and the Clippers were the team that could offer that. A possible three way trade with a creative GM would be the only way that getting Camby could be possible. Meaning, Clippers have what Denver wants, what would to clippers want instead of Camby? We would have to get into the trade discussion with a better package than Camby that would equal Camby's ten mill a year contract. The only package I could think of would be likely highlighted by Bargnani (Clippers get PF to play beside Kaman, Raptors would not beable to find minutes for Bargs, Camby, JO and Bosh). So: Bargnani/Hump/Joey or Bargnani/Kapono or Bargnani/Parker would be three reasonable trades. Other possibility would be to Sign and Trade Delfino included in the mix, but the Raptors would have to sign Delfino for more money than they offered and he would need to accept. This option would put the Raptors over luxury tax which the MLSE would not let them do. So, here would be your options:

Bargnani, Hump, Joey for Camby
Bargnani, Kapono for Camby
Bargnani, Parker for Camby

Now all of these deals didn't need to be done at the time of the trade, really, they can be done anytime, so the window would still be open.

The question becomes would you make this trade? Would BC?

I personally do not think the Raptors are giving up on Bargs, nor do I think they should, so for me, I say no chance. They can (provided the Clippers would accept one fo the above packages), but they shouldn't.

Anywho, would you make that trade?

I wouldnt make any 3 of those trades at all. We can't pull of a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1. We still don't even have a full roster!! If we were to make that trade we would have about 2-3 million to sign 3 people, not an easy task. So NO for Camby.

mariotubes
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
camby is not over rated lol hes one of the best defensive players in the league year in and year out

carruthers32
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
why would you guys want Camby when we already have Bosh and O'Neal, are we going to pay 10 million to a bench player??!!!!

raptors wiseguy
07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
man...thats a steal...denver couldnt have even gotten a first rounder back??

i heard that the clippers made the same offer to the knicks for zach randolph

_Sn1P3r_
07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
We dont need camby after getting JO. Its just that simple. plus he is 34 years old and yes he has been healthy the past few yeas but his durability was always a cause for concern. The raps could never match the nuggets offer. They want to rebuild now and the clippers deal gives them that option right away. Clearly the team was going nowhere with marcus camby and the clippers were for sure not going to offer a first rounder for him so the second rounder was all that was left. This trade long term is going to really help the nuggets in their quest to rebuild a franchise in need of some change. Too many people are left crying about BC should of done more to get him.. blahh blahh blahh. Their are much more important roster isssues to adress rather than bringing on a 34 year old center when JO and Bosh are already in the fold.

Cheers

I agree. We don't need him. We need a SF/SG that could slash and play D to upgrade our starting lineup.

jsbola
07-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Most of the reports on the trade fail to mention that Denver got a $10 million trade exemption in the deal. With the luxury tax, Denver was looking at something like $40 million worth of taxes and now they dont have to pay taxes on the trade exemption so they save alot of money. Had they done a deal for players, they would have had to pay taxes on their salaries. It was a purely numbers deal, no doubt ownership forced managments hand.