PDA

View Full Version : Wade Boggs

Suprman848
07-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Wade Boggs once again showing his disgust with the Boston Red Sox. Anyone want to shed some light on the real reason?

SocksPhan
07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah, it was sort of sad. You saw all of the other guys that played on other teams wear the hat they they went into the hall in. Some of them also had their Yankee or Met hats (winfield , gary carter) which is understandable. Boggs is just flat out saying F-U to the Sox it seems.

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 01:19 AM
The Sox dumped him. Why shouldn't he be disgusted?

Tragedy
07-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Who cares? He wants to believe he was a true Yankee, that's fine. He was not, though. Yankee fans will never think of him as a Yankee, they'll think of him as a Sox. As long as Wade thinks he's a Yankee, us Red Sox fans won't think of him at all.

Sucks for him. :)

quiksilver2491
07-16-2008, 03:11 AM
He is still bitter that we let him walk. Like Tragedy said, he can wear the hat, but that doesn't change the past, what has happened is over with and he can't change being with the Sox all those years. If he wants to be considered a Yankee thats fine, we don't beg players to represent this franchise.

sabrezealot
07-16-2008, 03:28 AM
There's also the fact that he was in NY. He wore the NY cap. It seems like the obvious choice.

quiksilver2491
07-16-2008, 06:57 AM
There's also the fact that he was in NY. He wore the NY cap. It seems like the obvious choice.

No not really. Like previously said, a lot of players like Dave Winfield, who wore his Padres hat also brought a Yankee hat even though his tenure with the Pads was longer. Also its no secret the guy is still pissed off at the organization after all these years.

Nickday
07-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Yeah, last year, during the Allstar stuff, I believe he wore his Boston hat...

instreetlight
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
yeah, here's the real reason: he's a goddamn coward. he can't stand not to be loved where ever he goes, so he decided to suck up to yankee fans by wearing a yankee cap, even though we all know he went into the hall as a red sox. grow some balls wade! be a man!

lil'papi
07-16-2008, 08:56 AM
No big deal he played in both places. Yankee fans appreciated what he did there.

Relax.

Petertherock
07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I supposed you should all get mad at Ek for wearing an Oakland A's hat too. I guess he's disrespecting the Red Sox too!! I mean first he says that ball Coco Crisp caught was a trap and now this! He's the real trader!!

Nickday
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
There's a difference. Ek's in the Hall as an A. Wade as a Sock

Tragedy
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
There's a difference. Ek's in the Hall as an A. Wade as a Sock
Very good point.

Even so, he obviously just wanted the cheap pop from the crowd. Stupid, absolutely, but too bad.

RedSoxMike
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Boggs should have worn the Sox cap. If he can't handle the boos he could have always willed himself invisible.

tc2deuce
07-21-2008, 10:07 AM
SAD! the man was my favorite player and now he is one of my most hated...

Petertherock
07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Boggs protest going in the Hall as a Sox? I think he wanted to go in as a Yankee. I don't blame him. Let's face it, the Sox gave him the shaft just because of the scandals he has and it was one of the worst moves the Sox made. Remember, it wasn't until recently that the Sox started treating players decent. I know 2 World Series Championships has blinded people from the past...but it wasn't that long ago we would get rid of players just because they wanted more money. 10 or 15 years ago, Manny would have already been wearing pin stripes.

kazzy4080
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM
im wicked pissed bout this, i cant believe he didnt wear a devil rays hat

RedSoxtober
07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Boggs protest going in the Hall as a Sox? I think he wanted to go in as a Yankee. I don't blame him. Let's face it, the Sox gave him the shaft just because of the scandals he has and it was one of the worst moves the Sox made. Remember, it wasn't until recently that the Sox started treating players decent. I know 2 World Series Championships has blinded people from the past...but it wasn't that long ago we would get rid of players just because they wanted more money. 10 or 15 years ago, Manny would have already been wearing pin stripes.

Gimme a break. The Sox have always gone after talent and letting Boggs walk was hardly a mistake. He posted the worst numbers of his career in his walk year and paid for it by being let walk. He was a tremendous hitter, but his fielding the last six years in BOS was below average. It was a calculated risk but it made sense: poor fielding + inability to hit + advanced age (34) = no contract.

After his first year in NY he missed 30+ games every season. Did we really miss out by not having him on the field when he was not in the field in NY?

lil'papi
07-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Actually his fielding got better and better and he won a GG. His hitting slipped we had guys ready to replace him.

Strictly a business decision and yes the FO was a mess. Ownership was a mess.....but we were far from CHEAP!

Boggs is a fruit cake......maybe his hair transplant is pulling on his brain. We aren't blind to the past either at least I'm not.
I remember the Yankees being awful. Then the steinburgers bought them and bingo money splurge they literally bought the Oakland A's team. Reggie is an A , not a Yankee.

Why does he wear a yankee hat? :rolleyes:

RedSoxtober
07-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Actually his fielding got better and better and he won a GG. His hitting slipped we had guys ready to replace him.

Strictly a business decision and yes the FO was a mess. Ownership was a mess.....but we were far from CHEAP!

Boggs is a fruit cake......maybe his hair transplant is pulling on his brain. We aren't blind to the past either at least I'm not.
I remember the Yankees being awful. Then the steinburgers bought them and bingo money splurge they literally bought the Oakland A's team. Reggie is an A , not a Yankee.

Why does he wear a yankee hat? :rolleyes:

His fielding at the end of his RS run was poor (cumulative Rate 2 for his last 6yrs was ~94). He played an excellent 3B for NYY, though (~106). The Sox didn't have any reason to assume that he'd excel defensively in his mid-30's; he broke the curve.

lil'papi
07-24-2008, 09:09 AM
I remember going to games and watching Boggs take infield he would take a 100 balls everyday. His fielding improved dramatically.
I'd have to disagree. He was taking balls during BP. This guy worked hard and he was even better as he aged kinda like Lowell. Guys should always improve yep even at 30 :D

He never got recognized till NY. He won the GG in his second year there. You really think in two years he jumped that much. (no) He was already good it takes time to get recognized for a GG. In fact , if you take numbers he was better his first year in NY at 3b. The year he won he played 93 games? NY media made him better in NY. ;)

40 is a stretch though, if you catch my drift.

RedSoxtober
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I think we're talking about Boggs from two different standpoints (I may be wrong). I'm looking at Boggs from the RS perspective as '92 came to a close. He hit only .259/.353/.711 that year and his Rate2 (even though not in popular use... you could 'see' it) was just 89. Two years before it was 86 with a solid 105 in between.

With numbers like that the Sox could have gone either way with him. You could suggest that his 89 represented an off year (though '88 and '89 were also a few notches below average) and that he'd bounce back. I think the Sox looked at his poor batting that year and it weighed on the "he is declining" side. Margo Adams and the other stuff that went with "Being Wade Boggs" helped push things along.

What happened in NYY? Who knows. He consistently posted numbers well above average in the field and his batting was similar to his better days in BOS (late 80's, not early 80s). Maybe it was the motivation of NYY or the desire to spite BOS. Whatever the case, it looks like a poor decision in hindsight.

You seem to be arguing more from his performance on the whole, including the 20-20 view of his post-BOS years. He did prove to be good but the Sox could not know that. IMO his defense had dropped from very good in the early '80s (we agree there) to average or below in the late 80s and the Sox decided he wouldn't recover.

lil'papi
07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
He was a tremendous hitter, but his fielding the last six years in BOS was below average. It was a calculated risk but it made sense: poor fielding + inability to hit + advanced age (34) = no contract.

My point was simply he wasn't let go because of fielding. If you use the last six years as an example maybe? But most teams go back a year or so to note decline.

His hitting and weirdness + distraction made him expendable. 20/20 we do it again. Nevermind the fact some guys do well after being moved, call it motivation.

His defense got better and better over his career because he worked hard at it. NYY got the benefit of what already was taking place, his improvement in the field.

Year Ag Tm Lg Pos G PO A E DP FP lgFP RFg lgRFg RF9 lgRF9 GS Inn
1991 33 BOS AL 3B 140 89 276 12 34 .968 .955 2.61 2.33 2.75 2.79 140 1196.7 AS
1993 35 NYY AL 3B 134 75 311 12 29 .970 .951 2.88 2.31 3.09 2.69 129 1122.7 AS

He won the award in 1994, with 783 innings! 935 innings in 1995. In Boston he was over 1300 innings 6 times. Hard to compare.....but he improved for sure. All the innings probably helped. Getting away from Miss Adams too. :p

1992 was his height or weirdness....Margo....and all his oddball rituals.

Bwangster12
07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Wade Boggs became a Yankee when he won his world series and rode around the stadium on the police officers horse crying and waving to the crowd.

lil'papi
07-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Really^^ So Damon is still a RedSox?

RedSoxtober
07-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Wade Boggs became a Yankee when he won his world series and rode around the stadium on the police officers horse crying and waving to the crowd.

Seems you're in the smallest minority among Yankee fans.

RedSoxtober
07-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Wade Boggs was surprised to learn there was a bit of a squawk over him wearing a Yankees cap at the All-Star ceremonies. "I meant no disrespect to the Red Sox," said Boggs. "It was Yankee Stadium. It was a team that I had also played for. It was to honor George Steinbrenner, a man I have great respect for. This wasn't about anything against Boston or the Red Sox. I've always loved my affiliation with the Red Sox. It's where my career began and where I played for many years. But we're in Yankee Stadium and it's also where I played and where I won a championship and Gold Gloves. Hard for me to believe that people wouldn't understand that.
Source:Boston Globe

lil'papi
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Some of us did Boggsy. Was Margo wearing a RS hat?

NYyanksin2008
07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I think that Boggs went into the HOF as a Devil Ray, prompting MLB to take the decision away from the player. Apparently he holds a grudge against both the yanks and the sox for some reason. Maybe the Rays paid for the hair replacement surgeries??

Nickday
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
No, Boggs is in as a Sock, already mentioned this. The DRays will go down as the only team without a player in the Hall.

NYyanksin2008
07-28-2008, 11:12 PM
No, Boggs is in as a Sock, already mentioned this. The DRays will go down as the only team without a player in the Hall.

Hahaha well out of the expansion teams the only possible HOFer is probably Todd Helton. Is that some Ray hated i hear. Don't worry they will be gone soon and we can take our rightful places in the AL East