PDA

View Full Version : New Ownership?

Art Vandolay
07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Wasn't today,July 15th, the day the ten finalists were to be announced for purchasing the Cubs? This story has more cloak and dagger than a Ian Fleming novel. I wish they would just have a game show like Lets Make A Deal or Who Wants To Be The Next Owner of The Cubs? It would make it that more interesting:D

behindmydesk
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, I actually think you came on to something. Zell wants to make money. They could sell PPV rights 100 bucks a pop, and I still bet they get an insane amount of viewers. Who wants to own the cubs. Everyone presents their offer, Zell talks to them, Selig then approves of one or more, then Zell makes a decision. That's be insane.

Randall Simon
07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I read somewhere that Friday is the deadline for opening bids.

CubsFanBudMan74
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
from 7/8/08

The Tribune Co.'s sale of the Chicago Cubs is getting moving again with first-round bids due July 18, Reuters is reporting.

Major League Baseball approved 10 potential ownership groups to bid on the team, the sources said. Up to five bidders are expected to make it to the next round, with a buyer being identified around the end of the 2008 baseball season.

The Tribune Co. is also selling other assets, including Wrigley Field, in transaction that could top $1 billion, sources told the news agency.

linkage (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=432328)

also from yesterday

So far, the media company has provided few financial details about Comcast SportsNet in the confidential briefing books it provided to prospective buyers, making it difficult to calculate a price tag for the channel, according to sources familiar with the documents, who asked not to be identified because the sales process is ongoing. Opening bids for the team are due by Friday

linkage (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-wed-cubs-comcast-jul16,0,1758157.story)

jiggin
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I wonder if Cuban is really going to go after this purchase not only because of the Cubs but also because of the Comcast shares involved. He already owns the HDTV channel and seems to like being involved in media thus his major involvement in broadcast.com before it was purchased by Yahoo for $6 Billion.

I would imagine he will have to purchase the team with a 'group' of people if the dollar amount is reaching around or over $1 billion, since his net worth is only about $3 billion. I can't imagine he would invest a 3rd of his wealth on one investment...but you never know.

crusher267658
07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
I read somewhere that Friday is the deadline for opening bids.

Just curious if anyone else read what he posted or if they just looked at the picture. :D LMFAO!

redbird89
07-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Would the other owners approve Cuban?

There's been rumors for a while that Bill DeWitt is going to sell the Cardinals, but I don't think they'll really be up for bid anytime soon.

4cubs
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM

There's been rumors for a while that Bill DeWitt is going to sell the Cardinals, but I don't think they'll really be up for bid anytime soon.Cuban was analyzing doing the following:

1. Buy both the Cubs and the Cardinals.
2. Put all the good players on the Cubs.
3. Put the remaining players on the Cardinals.
4. Sell the Cardinals

After analyzing, Cuban drew the conclusion that all the good players are already on the Cubs, so he'll just buy them.

jiggin
07-16-2008, 08:11 PM

There's been rumors for a while that Bill DeWitt is going to sell the Cardinals, but I don't think they'll really be up for bid anytime soon.

Cuban has already got the nod from the commish office, through the pre-approval part of the process that happened many month ago. Cuban only needs 2/3rds of the ownership to vote him in, and I would assume without knowing a ton about the relationships he has with most of the current owners that wouldn't be a problem. I don't think anyone can argue that his ownership in the NBA has only helped the sport and made not only him but the NBA and thus other owners more wealthy. For the owners, its a business decision on how it will effect their bottom line. Having someone who has the know how to make the sport and the team more attractive in turn makes the other owners more money...which is why they all got into the business to begin with.

I know there is at least 1 owner who does not like him and has said publicly that he was the only one that voted against Cuban in the NBA purchase of the Mavs. I don't think that is going to cause an issue if Cuban is the highest bidder...but you never know. Its an old mans club, and they tend to stick together.

Having hard *** sam zell as the seller can only help things though. He will do anything and everything to make sure the top bidder is the one that it is sold too. It would be VERY messy to see him and his public antics and legal abilities to discuss how the MLB is costing him insane amounts of money. He has never been quiet about that kind of stuff and I would enjoy watching him rip the MLB over some stunt like that. :)

Conundrum
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
can someone give me a break down of the supposed names and who in the world they are?

right now, i want Cuban to win b/c i like the way he has turned the Mavericks around...but who are the possible others? what have they done?

cubswoo
07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm still waiting to hear back on my bid of $134.54 cash, an old Sammy Sosa and Mark Prior Jersey, a half eaten nestle crunch bar, a beat up 1992 toyota camry, a box of crayola crayons lightly used, a rubber band ball and a 1988 topps Johnny Ray baseball card
for
The Chicago Cubs basebal team minus Jason Marquis and Wrigley Field

jiggin
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
can someone give me a break down of the supposed names and who in the world they are?

right now, i want Cuban to win b/c i like the way he has turned the Mavericks around...but who are the possible others? what have they done?

I don't have a formal list but here are a few people that have been approved by the MLB commish office already:

Ricketts family, which founded TD Ameritrade Holding Corp.
John Canning, head of private-equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners and part-owner of the Milwaukee Brewers (said to be the 'favorite' and to have a very good relationship with Selig)
Restaurateur Larry Levy
Chicago business owner Craig Duchossois
Don Levin, owner of the Chicago Wolves minor league hockey team
Chicago attorney Thomas Mandler and businessman Jim Anixter
A group led by private-equity investor Thomas Begel.

Of course Cuban as well.

next step is the first round of bidding where the list of suitors will be narrowed down to possibly 5. Then they will be able to make a second bid price or hold firm on their original bid, with the top bid being the one selected by Zell.

It then goes to the MLB and the ownership group voting on the sale, with the sale still in a pending state until an official approval comes from the MLB.

Its a long drawn out process, no question about it.

redbird89
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
John Canning is part owner of the Brewers and Selig once owned the Brewers, correct?

ALBUNDY
07-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't have a formal list but here are a few people that have been approved by the MLB commish office already:

Ricketts family, which founded TD Ameritrade Holding Corp.
John Canning, head of private-equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners and part-owner of the Milwaukee Brewers (said to be the 'favorite' and to have a very good relationship with Selig)
Restaurateur Larry Levy
Chicago business owner Craig Duchossois
Don Levin, owner of the Chicago Wolves minor league hockey team
Chicago attorney Thomas Mandler and businessman Jim Anixter
A group led by private-equity investor Thomas Begel.

Of course Cuban as well.

next step is the first round of bidding where the list of suitors will be narrowed down to possibly 5. Then they will be able to make a second bid price or hold firm on their original bid, with the top bid being the one selected by Zell.

It then goes to the MLB and the ownership group voting on the sale, with the sale still in a pending state until an official approval comes from the MLB.

Its a long drawn out process, no question about it.

I thought Jerry Colangelo was also interested.

cubfan23
07-16-2008, 10:10 PM
John Canning is part owner of the Brewers and Selig once owned the Brewers, correct?

yup thats why some thought he would be the favorite...I hope its Cuban though and ya Colangelo is interestd to.

homestarunner93
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Better be Cuban, the guy is great.

Theriot2
07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I really hope Cuban buys us. He is just so into basketball and I think he would be the same during a baseball game.

jiggin
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM

yes, it was actually selig's "family" that owned the brewers. :)

jiggin
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I thought Jerry Colangelo was also interested.

I believe you are correct. I didn't have a formal list so I was just going off of the names that have regularly been listed in the media and papers.

OHMYLORD
07-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Will they change the name of Wrigley Field?

kozelkid
07-17-2008, 01:39 AM
I believe you are correct. I didn't have a formal list so I was just going off of the names that have regularly been listed in the media and papers.

in that case I'd love colangelo as well. he is the best gm in the nba.