PDA

View Full Version : Interesting - Favre now owns a unique no-trade clause

Greenngld
07-15-2008, 03:20 PM
An interesting article on NFL.com that looks at the situation from a different perspective:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=816B93043A2AC48C9FDCEC1550D21E55? campaign=ec0005&template=with-video&confirm=true&id=09000d5d8094bd7a

A rare talent, Packers quarterback Brett Favre now holds a rare distinction.

Without having an official no-trade clause in his contract, Favre has a no-trade clause.

If the Packers agree to trade Favre to any team, the quarterback can veto the deal simply by declining to report. Then Favre's rights would revert back to Green Bay, which would be forced to take him back along with his $12 million base salary -- or release him.

To carry's Favre salary, and all the distractions that came along with it, would be an enormous financial and emotional burden for the Packers. Thus Green Bay would have to commit to keeping Favre or to trade him.

But unless it is a team that appeals to Favre then the Packers quarterback can continue vetoing deals until he has a satisfactory new home.

Basically, if Favre unretires he gets to play where he wants.

Neither Favre nor his agent, Bus Cook, has revealed which teams, or team, that would be, though speculation has swirled around Minnesota and Carolina. Yet it is as inconceivable to think Green Bay would trade Favre in its division as it is that it would release him, giving him the same option.

Thus, according to NFL executives, Favre's trade value is well below market value. It is as if he has the same rights accorded a 10-5 player in Major League Baseball, where any player who has spent 10 seasons in the league, including five straight for one team, can veto a deal.

The NFL has no such rule, but Favre now has such powers. There will be no trade of Favre unless he approves it, eliminating the prospect of him playing for any number of teams. Market value in Favre's case is irrelevant because even though he could be on the open market, he never will be, not officially.

Now, if and when Favre sends a letter to the NFL and the Packers asking to be reinstated and he officially unretires, Green Bay will have approximately 24 hours to reinstate him. If and when Favre unretires, the Packers -- who already have said they refuse to release their quarterback -- will have only two viable options.

ĽThey can take back Favre in whatever role they have for him.

OrÖ

ĽThey can search for a city in which Favre is willing to play and take a substandard deal from that team for their legendary quarterback.

Neither option would appear to be particularly appealing to the Packers, but they are better than the only other alternative, which is to release Favre, giving him the freedom to sign with any of the Packers' three divisional rivals in the NFC North.

These are the only ways this volatile and unpredictable story can play out; any other way is purely fantasy football.

It also helps explain why, in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column on SI.com, one NFL general manager said of Packers general manager Ted Thompson: "Ted's got no choice. If he doesn't take Favre back, he's an idiot."

It is not unlike the case involving Pro Bowl wide receiver Terrell Owens in 2004. Back then, the 49ers agreed to trade Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a second-round draft pick. But Owens refused to play in Baltimore and negotiated with other teams as if the trade never would go through.

Eventually, he was right. San Francisco was forced to send Owens to Philadelphia for a conditional fifth-round pick and defensive end Brandon Whiting.

Just as San Francisco's return was pennies on the dollar, so too would be Green Bay's in the event it opted to trade Favre.

In fact, the consensus is that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, even as unproven as he is, would bring back far more in trade value than Favre. But the Packers have no plans to trade Rodgers, and they will have an exceedingly difficult time trading Favre for anything of value.

So now it is Favre -- not the Packers -- who fully controls where the iconic quarterback spends the upcoming season.

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Good, I hope Favre goes to Minnesota, and rubs it in TT's ****ing face.

newdude
07-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Dang, thats some power. :D

hughest4
07-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah, i am pretty sure i heard something along these lines. Favre is holding all of the power and i think if they are going to trade him then it should be to someone he wants to play for. I don't even mind if he was to get traded to an NFC team, i just wont be able to take him being in a Vikings uniform.

Chrisman04
07-15-2008, 04:32 PM
As long as he doesn't go to Dallas or Washington I'll cheer for him. Like I said before I'd gladly give up this year to see him and the Vikings run away with the North. ***** Ted

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah, i am pretty sure i heard something along these lines. Favre is holding all of the power and i think if they are going to trade him then it should be to someone he wants to play for. I don't even mind if he was to get traded to an NFC team, i just wont be able to take him being in a Vikings uniform.

Hughest, as much as it is going to sting, get used to it. I really think that is where he is going. The bright side, is that Minnesota doesn't have much for receivers, but I think Rice is going to come on strong this year. Berrian provides a deep threat too. I guess you don't need much more when you have AP running behind their line though. I just don't want them to try to send Favre to a team like Miami though. The thing is though is Favre could decline it like TO did, and end up in Minnesota anyway.

servais77
07-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I prefer Carolina for Favre since I have tickets to the November 30th game.

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I prefer Carolina for Favre since I have tickets to the November 30th game.

That's cool, god damn it is going to be weird seeing him in a different uniform though. I just thought it would ironic if he did end up in Minnesota, because it is probably our biggest rival, and they were planning on retiring his jersey against them. WOW, how about that Monday Night Football matchup week one, Favre vs. Rodgers.

newdude
07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
That's cool, god damn it is going to be weird seeing him in a different uniform though. I just thought it would ironic if he did end up in Minnesota, because it is probably our biggest rival, and they were planning on retiring his jersey against them. WOW, how about that Monday Night Football matchup week one, Favre vs. Rodgers.

If that happens, we'll see an early glimpse of who's right and who's wrong, and if a certain someone's job might be in jeopardy.

socalpkrbkr
07-15-2008, 07:31 PM

As long as he doesn't go to Dallas or Washington I'll cheer for him. Like I said before I'd gladly give up this year to see him and the Vikings run away with the North. ***** Ted

Seriously WTF is the matter with you two? Its not about rubbing it in TT's face. I will NEVER look at Brett the same if he went to any other team in our division. That my friends is a slap in my ****ing face and completely disrespectful to all us Packers fans and organization. He made this ****ing situation for himself and if he wasn't ready to make his choice he should have said "back the **** up off of me TT, MM and whoever else that wants to know. I need more time to make one of the most important decisions of my life." He didn't and now I have to deal with the face of this franchise wanting to play somewhere else because of it.

Chrisman04 how can you call yourself a fan of the Green Bay Packers and expect to be taken seriously with comments like this?

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Seriously WTF is the matter with you two? Its not about rubbing it in TT's face. I will NEVER look at Brett the same if he went to any other team in our division. That my friends is a slap in my ****ing face and completely disrespectful to all us Packers fans and organization. He made this ****ing situation for himself and if he wasn't ready to make his choice he should have said "back the **** up off of me TT, MM and whoever else that wants to know. I need more time to make one of the most important decisions of my life." He didn't and now I have to deal with the face of this franchise wanting to play somewhere else because of it.

Chrisman04 how can you call yourself a fan of the Green Bay Packers and expect to be taken seriously with comments like this?

Well he still wants to play football, and TT doesn't want him back. Don't blame Favre, blame TT for letting him go. Favre isn't slapping you in the face, TT is. I personally don't like TT, and if he gets rid of Favre for an unproven player like Rodgers, then it would be funny if it blew up in his face. I'm not overly concerned because I believe Brohm is our future quarterback anyway.

darwin31
07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Hughest, as much as it is going to sting, get used to it. I really think that is where he is going. The bright side, is that Minnesota doesn't have much for receivers, but I think Rice is going to come on strong this year. Berrian provides a deep threat too. I guess you don't need much more when you have AP running behind their line though. I just don't want them to try to send Favre to a team like Miami though. The thing is though is Favre could decline it like TO did, and end up in Minnesota anyway.

Childress has publicly stated that he does not want Favre.

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Childress has publicly stated that he does not want Favre.

Well we all know how that goes when somebody makes a public statement. They state one thing, and what they are really going to do is something different. It's like when a coach is on the hot seat, the GM will make a statement that they aren't planning on firing him, and BAM the next week he is gone.

socalpkrbkr
07-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Well he still wants to play football, and TT doesn't want him back. Don't blame Favre, blame TT for letting him go. Favre isn't slapping you in the face, TT is. I personally don't like TT, and if he gets rid of Favre for an unproven player like Rodgers, then it would be funny if it blew up in his face. I'm not overly concerned because I believe Brohm is our future quarterback anyway.

How can you say donít blame Favre? He made this **** for himself. I'm not crazy about TT myself as you may or may not know. It's not on TT, this **** is on Brett and Brett only. Ted wanted Brett back but Brett retired and Ted and coach were ready to take him back pre draft but Brett backed out. You know this **** is true. This would not blow up in TT face all alone. It blows up in my face, your face and every other Packers fans face. Itís the team that we care about and if Rodgers sucks ***, the Packers are going to suck ***. If Brett felt like his decision could change then he never should have made it in the first place. If Brett plays for a division foe, yes, he's slapping me in the face. He retired, flopped around like a fish and then wanted back after the team had to move on. TT, MM and the other MM: "OK, I guess itís really over." (After the change of heart/comeback talks) I cried that day with a friend of mine as we watched the greatest football player Iíve ever seen retire. (Biased of course but FTW)

Its not working out like anyone planned and it doesnít have to but if the end result is Brett playing in some rivals uni because he gets his wish, to be released, then yes, thatís all it is, a slap in my face.

beast
07-15-2008, 09:42 PM

TT didn't let him go, Favre retired, and hasn't unretired (yet)

I do blame for not making up his mind, heck I'm not sure he's made up his mind yet, I mean he is still retired. If he wants back he'll unretired. I would take him at his word, but he seems to being changing his mind a lot.

But this is a business everyone has to earn there spot, every year. If Favre wants to play, and he should could back and compete for the starter spot.

and TT isn't slaping me in the face at all. Nether is Favre. Really this is both there fault both could of handle this a lot better. The difference is the Favre didn't have to make a choice, but he did, the Packers had to make a choice, and they did.

Favre can still come back, and sure he won't be the starter at first, but he'll have a shot to become the starter, and we all know he has a good shot at it, to be starter week 1. And really teams don't owe players nothing than money, and chances, and if Favre comes back he'll get both.

Ryan Diesel
07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
That's horsesheet. They owe Favre a little more than just money and chances, he's not a hooker. I think over the last 16 years he's earned at least a little respect, right?? Hell, if he hasn't earned at least some respect, I'm not too sure what you have to do to get some from Teddy.

BigBruceRogers
07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
GB GM sure didn't handle this right. I'm a Bears fan, but I still think Favre deserves all the respect in the world and not to be treated this way. With all the power he has, GB knows they won't get squat back. Better just cut ties in a good way and let him move on.

In my opinion, Favre still has at least another year left in the tank. He is no longer great, but he is still better than Aaron Rodgers and the average NFL QB. I only wish Chicago had a situation like this - a legendary QB who wants to play for the team but the team doesn't want him!

Soop
07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Wow! This got interesting quick.

beast
07-16-2008, 12:02 AM
That's horsesheet. They owe Favre a little more than just money and chances, he's not a hooker. I think over the last 16 years he's earned at least a little respect, right?? Hell, if he hasn't earned at least some respect, I'm not too sure what you have to do to get some from Teddy.

Yes, he has also earned respect, but he has also loss some. He has to unretire, and beat out Rodgers if he wants to be the starter. He could do it, now he just needs to go out and do it.

twelvePack
07-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Yes, he has also earned respect, but he has also loss some. He has to unretire, and beat out Rodgers if he wants to be the starter. He could do it, now he just needs to go out and do it.

I really don't think that TT wants him back though beast. That is what is causing the problem. TT and MM have said they want to go in a different direction.

XJW18
07-16-2008, 03:24 AM

Ya how about NO!! :badidea:
:crazy:

XJW18
07-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Wow! This got interesting quick.

the entire thing has been interesting!
where have u been?