PDA

View Full Version : free agents...

Thatruth32
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
i know its still early but im a lil suprisedthat players like monta ... andris... josh smith... okafor...etc havent at least signed to an offer sheet or something.. first few days was crazy now seems like all the movment and talk (at least publicly) have all stoped .. there is not many teams with alot of cap i just didnt think some of the big names would take so long to come off the board...

garlicboy
07-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Maggettte, Brand and Baron were unrestricted free agents, thus the player is free to choose any team, and teams are free to bid as high as they want.

I've read before that teams are VERY reluctant to try and sign restricted free agents as teams can match, and lots of time, money and resources are put forth with no end result.

Thus if a team throws an offer out to a guy like Okafor, Smith or Iggy. A team can match. Thus teams are waiting for the Hawks to re-sign or decide not to resign Josh Smith. Same can be said for the Sixers. How much will Lou Williams cost to resign? The players original teams can also offer 1 extra year to a players contract, which is a huge bargaining chip/incentive for players to resign with their current teams. Which is why signing guys RESTRICTED free agents like Smith, Okafor or Iggy are very much a long shot.

From the players perspective, they are waiting to see what types of offers they are going to get. They are shopping themselves like crazy to teams trying to get the best offer.

Summer league is another huge component. Teams are seeing if their rookies, 2nd, 3rd or free agents are showing they can be capable back-ups or starters. Example: CJ Watson and Demarcus Nelson show that they can play PG in the Vegas and Rocky mountain, the Dubs aren't looking to trade for a PG and may go with a solid veteran back-up.

If you recall with the Dubs last season, they waited until the last possible second to resign Barns and Pietrus to 1 year minimum deals(A GREAT move by Mullie that no one talks about).

I think we're waiting to see what kinds of offers Azubuike gets before we decide to resign him. It's still very early in the off-season.

Kdirt
07-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Realistically the only team that would probably sign someone to an offer sheet before teams resign their players are the Clippers. However, they are still exploring trade possiblities like Zach Randolph before they ink somebody. The reason being is because most teams would like to acquire as much as they can before resigning their players because they can exceed their salary ocap to sign their own restricted free agents. So Once we sign Monta or/and Andris then we are done making signings because we will be over the cap. Same for the Sixers and Hawks.

Thatruth32
07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Maggettte, Brand and Baron were unrestricted free agents, thus the player is free to choose any team, and teams are free to bid as high as they want.

I've read before that teams are VERY reluctant to try and sign restricted free agents as teams can match, and lots of time, money and resources are put forth with no end result.

Thus if a team throws an offer out to a guy like Okafor, Smith or Iggy. A team can match. Thus teams are waiting for the Hawks to re-sign or decide not to resign Josh Smith. Same can be said for the Sixers. How much will Lou Williams cost to resign? The players original teams can also offer 1 extra year to a players contract, which is a huge bargaining chip/incentive for players to resign with their current teams. Which is why signing guys RESTRICTED free agents like Smith, Okafor or Iggy are very much a long shot.

From the players perspective, they are waiting to see what types of offers they are going to get. They are shopping themselves like crazy to teams trying to get the best offer.

Summer league is another huge component. Teams are seeing if their rookies, 2nd, 3rd or free agents are showing they can be capable back-ups or starters. Example: CJ Watson and Demarcus Nelson show that they can play PG in the Vegas and Rocky mountain, the Dubs aren't looking to trade for a PG and may go with a solid veteran back-up.

If you recall with the Dubs last season, they waited until the last possible second to resign Barns and Pietrus to 1 year minimum deals(A GREAT move by Mullie that no one talks about).

I think we're waiting to see what kinds of offers Azubuike gets before we decide to resign him. It's still very early in the off-season.

Yea i was thinking the same thing about summer league waiting till its done to see were your needs really are.... btw when is the final date to sign players? if anybody knows