PDA

View Full Version : Magic looking to deal for Crittenton

The83rdWonder
07-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

The Orlando Magic have held serious trade talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about point guard Javaris Crittenton, proof that the Magic have abandoned any serious hopes of retaining combo guard Keyon Dooling.

But the Magic have looked elsewhere this offseason, initially pursuing Chris Duhon, who ultimately signed with the New York Knicks. The Magic then signed shooting guard Mickael Pietrus to a four-year, $25.1 million free agent contract. That all but closed the door on Dooling's chance to return because of his wish to get a deal worth at least $12 million for the next three years.

"I'm frustrated because I thought their intentions were different," Dooling fumed. "More than frustrated, I guess I'd say I'm insulted by it. I thought they valued what I bring as a player and a person, but maybe I had an inflamed opinion of what they thought about me.

"We're not talking the same language. I don't know if the door is closed (on a return to the Magic), but we're not talking the same language. But I'm not doing any of the door closing. It's being closed in my face."

The agent for Memphis' Crittenton, Wallace Prather, said he was aware the Magic had started trade talks with the Grizzlies about his client. Memphis has a logjam at point guard after adding rising stars Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo in the past two drafts. Crittenton, whom Memphis acquired in the Pau Gasol trade with the Lakers, would welcome a move to Orlando where playing time might be more readily available.

"I know there's a lot of interest between the two teams and I have a call in to Otis (Smith) to talk to him about it," Prather said on Monday. "We know a lot of the players on the Magic team, so it would be a good fit for Javaris."

In other news, Glenn Schwartzman, the agent for Darrell Armstrong and Michael Doleac, has spoken to the Magic about interest in the veteran point guard and reserve center. Nothing is imminent at the time, Schwartzman said, but Orlando could seemingly use help at both positions. And the Magic are infinitely familiar with both players.

Armstrong, 40, one of the oldest players in the NBA, played for the Magic from 1994-2003 and is still one of the most popular players in franchise history. His best game last season with New Jersey came in Orlando when he had 13 points and two assists in 17 minutes off the bench.

"We just feel like Darrell could take a very good team and make it a great team," said Schwartzman, who noted that Armstrong turned down multiple coaching opportunities in hopes of playing one more NBA season. "He'd be signing at the veterans' minimum so he wouldn't cost that much. But because of what he brings to a team off the court and in the locker room we feel Darrell could have great value to a team."

The 6-foot-11, 262-pound Doleac spent his first three seasons in the NBA with the Magic. He played for Minnesota last season.

In the 6-foot-5, 200-pound Crittenton, the Magic would have a big point guard to back up starter Jameer Nelson. The Magic have just one point guard on the roster, and Dooling and Carlos Arroyo aren't expected back next season.

To get Crittenton, the Magic would most likely surrender veteran shooting guard Keith Bogans and multiple draft picks. Orlando has a glut of shooting guards with Pietrus, Bogans, J.J. Redick and rookie Courtney Lee.

Bogans, who made a career-best 148 3-pointers last season with the Magic, is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $2.9 million next season. Memphis is attempting to horde salary cap dollars and expiring contracts in an attempt to land two top free agents next summer.

Crittenton, 20, was the 19th pick of the 2007 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Lakers. He played 22 games with the Lakers before being traded to Memphis on Feb. 1. In 28 games with the Grizzlies, he averaged 7.4 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 18.1 minutes a game. He had 23 points, nine rebounds and four assists in April against New York, and 13 points, nine rebounds and three assists versus Sacramento in late March.

Crittenton is spending this summer playing with Memphis' summer league team in Las Vegas. Through his first three games, Crittenton has averaged 8.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 29.3 minutes a game.

If Crittenton joins the Magic, he will have direct ties with the Magic's best player, Dwight Howard. Crittenton teamed with Howard to win a prep state title in 2004 and went on to break Howard's school-record scoring record at Atlanta Southwest Christian Academy.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/SPORTS/807150321/1002/SPORTS

Reezy
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
This is the most important part IMO:

If Crittenton joins the Magic, he will have direct ties with the Magic's best player, Dwight Howard. Crittenton teamed with Howard to win a prep state title in 2004 and went on to break Howard's school-record scoring record at Atlanta Southwest Christian Academy.

lakers4sho
07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
J-Critt is a really great player. He just didn't get enough minutes in L.A. and Memphis to show his stuff. I think he can be a top guard in the NBA given the time the develop and mature.

ManRam
07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I've never been a huge Crittenton fan, mainly because Laker fans ranted and raved about him all the time (and still do to convince others they didn't rip Memphis off) :) He is a good talent, and I wouldn't mind trading Bogans and a few picks (second rounders??) for him

I really wouldn't mind Armstrong either. I think that is a more likely scenario. I can really see him signing in Orlando for the veterans minimum.

magicman 1
07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
This would be an excellent move. I cant stress enough how we have to be strong 1-15 if we want to be a contender for a title. This kids upside is tremendous. A point guard with size. Now we're talking. This is how I see the Magic 15 strong for next season. 1st team - 1:J. Nelson 2: M. Pietrus 3:R Lewis 4: Branden Wright(via trade w/G.S.) 5:D. Howard 2nd team - 1:J. Crittenton 2:C. Lee 3:H. Turkoglu 4: T. Battie 5:Patrick. O'Bryant( via trade w/G.S.) OR Kwame Brown (via free agent pick up) 3rd team - 1:K. Dooling or J. Williams or D. Armstrong 2:K. Bogans 3:P. Ewing JR. 4:B. Cook 5: Marcin Gortat. Now with this squad we might be able to do a little something. Folks the East is becoming a beast. So we need to step up our game.

The Melky Way
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
it wouldn't be a bad move, but with us signing Anthony Johnson (a freaking waste), it will cut back on his minutes.

i like crittenton, I hope a deal can be worked out for him

*Superman*
07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I posted this in another thread, but whatever. I think that we might have got Anthony Johnson because the trade isn't pulling through. I hope i am wrong and something works out.

*Superman*
07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
The Magic actually aren't done and are looking at the market(J-Williams) and a trade (Critterion). It says it all in the article. Also they said that Adonal could be coming back (hell no) but thats in another article.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckForum&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aadc4d919-840d-4bdc-bac8-3e3151995cf0Forum%3a65053859-5e1d-48de-b78b-b1c1db289989Discussion%3a8d91bbb5-6e4c-458d-933c-989f80e94fa0&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0

The Melky Way
07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
this doesn't make sense, if all goes through we have 4 PG on the active roster, unless they are planning to give Nelson some time at SG (like he played at St. Joe's) when the others are in the game.

Anthony Johnson was a horrible signing because that money could have gone to Dooling, he can actually play both guards position.

I would rather not have Williams at this point and go after Crittenton because we need some youth backing up Nelson, not 2 over the hill guys.

Chi-Town Finest
07-16-2008, 09:50 AM
He is a good point guard and that would be a good pickup for you guys. He is playing well in the summer league too.

ManRam
07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
From the O-Sen...

Smith said he has looked at several teams in hopes to acquire a third point guard, including the Memphis Grizzlies (Kyle Lowry and Javaris Crittenton), but talks have yet to heat up. Crittenton is playing in Las Vegas.

Said Crittenton's agent, Wallace Prather, "I've spoken to both GMs [Smith and Grizzlies' Chris Wallace], and there's no deal on the table or any deal pending. There's nothing I'm aware of."

Basically what I expected this Crittenton talk to be: a rumor that isn't going to happen.

skyhibballpj87
07-16-2008, 06:32 PM
this doesn't make sense, if all goes through we have 4 PG on the active roster, unless they are planning to give Nelson some time at SG (like he played at St. Joe's) when the others are in the game.

Anthony Johnson was a horrible signing because that money could have gone to Dooling, he can actually play both guards position.

I would rather not have Williams at this point and go after Crittenton because we need some youth backing up Nelson, not 2 over the hill guys.

we only have 2 point guards right now nelson and johnson arroyo and dooling are free agents and i think signing anthony johnson cancels out any j williams deal. it wasnt a horrible signing hes a good veteren point guard and we offered dooling the same money before we signed johnson dooling didnt want it he was actually insulted by it.Magic didnt want to go over the cap so unfortuantly we couldnt sign dooling or give him the money that he wanted. i wanted him back but picking up pietrus was a good move and at least now we have a back up for nelson. the summers still got a ways to go and i dont think Otis is done im sure he will get a couple of trades going before next season

magicman 1
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Otis has got to definitely make a move for another point guard. Thats the only way he's going to be able to save face on this A.J. signing. Very,very mediocre move to put it mildly. Either the Javaris or Kyle lowery pick up would be a GOOD move, preferrably Javaris. He must get this business done so he can focus on our power position. Adonal is just the most awful resigning he can probably make. I hear the world champs has just signed Patrick O'bryant of G.S.. This is a move Otis should have been trying to pull off. A big with an upside, a 7'0 22 year old.Thats Championship maneuvering. Otis please stop subjecting this city to awful decisions, which make s us look really second rate. JJ Reddick - awful. Adonal Foyle - awful. Pat Garrity - Awful. Jason Williams - awful. Im not saying these guys arent good guys but there just not what we need on a roster to be championship team.The talent pool first and foremost must be superior. Please dont let us open up training camp with these names on our roster.

PhxGiant
07-18-2008, 01:24 AM
How would you guys feel about a barbosa/turkoglu trade?
LB would fit with your team perfectly.
if you wouldnt do that straight up, then what more would you ask for?

Reezy
07-18-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm pretty sure we plan on keeping Turkoglu. Thanks for the interest though.

PhxGiant
07-18-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure we plan on keeping Turkoglu. Thanks for the interest though.

I should have known lol, hell of a player.

*Superman*
07-18-2008, 02:34 AM
I should have known lol, hell of a player.

I know that the Magic wouldn't trade Turk, but that looks like a hell of a deal. Barbosa is also younger than Turk and is under contract, so its not a risk like Turk who can leave the Magic for more money elsewhere.

Barbosa is a quick, slasher who gets in the paint at will. I like that trade and the salaries match.:D
Also if i'm right, doesn't he come of the bench and still put up 15 PPG?