PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question - Artest or No Artest

Vegasguy80
07-14-2008, 11:15 PM
This is very simple. I have been arguing that we shouldn't sign Artest and there are some fans with me and some that hate me for thinking that. So let's see what the majority says..

Yes or No :confused:

Jetracer
07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I would like to keep odom, but if we can't, then oh well. He is a good role player and has had many opportunities to flourish. I say its time to go. My vote is for Ron Ron

agapeLAKERS
07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Shaq for Ron Artest, and Pau Gasol not such a bad deal anymore.

tim
07-14-2008, 11:32 PM

exactly! :clap: ...thats how i think of it. :D

KingDiesel
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
i voted yes but it would have been more like:

Yes - he is needed because lamar odom at SF won't work.

still1ballin
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM

yeah but we had 3 tough years, one not making the playoffs and 2 1st round exits by the suns

LAdiablo
07-14-2008, 11:55 PM
voted no but i think it could work. i just can't get past the past

#32LakerFan
07-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Voted Yes,

My choice would be to trade Odom for Prince and Maxiel or Amir Johnson. However, I don't think that Detroit would go for that.

Odom is not suited to play SF position IMO. Too slow to guard the SF's around the league, and he is not a good outside shooter. This will allow the defense to pack the paint and will not allow Bynum and Pau to work on the inside or Kobe to drive to the basket.

The only other options have already been brought up and that is to trade Odom and filler for Marion.

Er1c
07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
he is definitely needed

MR DODGER
07-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Voted Yes,

My choice would be to trade Odom for Prince and Maxiel or Amir Johnson. However, I don't think that Detroit would go for that.

Odom is not suited to play SF position IMO. Too slow to guard the SF's around the league, and he is not a good outside shooter. This will allow the defense to pack the paint and will not allow Bynum and Pau to work on the inside or Kobe to drive to the basket.

The only other options have already been brought up and that is to trade Odom and filler for Marion.

You hit the nail right on the head, Odom is too slow to guard sf's in the NBA and his shooting is horrible, the opposing defense will collapse on bynum and gasol and clog the driving lanes playing off odom. The paint is not big enough for 3 players (Gasol, Bynum, Odom).

NDP1981
07-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Lamar Odom
Pros: Versatility,Rebounding,Better FG percentage
Cons: No outside shot,Inconsistent,Cannot match up with SF in the league

Ron Artest
Pros: Defense,Toughness,Can create his own shot
Cons: Lunatic,might ask for time off,Could charge the stands, God only knows his limitations.

Pick Em'

G-Funk
07-15-2008, 12:32 AM
i like my chances with both, even though I still want Artest.

horry1ur
07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Im going to vote NO the main reason being that i would rather have Tayshaun Prince

LAStory
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM

I think its more Artest, Gasol, and Farmar

NDP1981
07-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Im going to vote NO the main reason being that i would rather have Tayshaun Prince

Me too but there is NO WAY we have a chance to get Prince.None.Zero. Never going to happen.

Pearljammer II
07-15-2008, 01:15 AM
we are going to miss Odom's rebounds but Gasol, Bynum and Artest would pick up the slack... losing Turiaf... we need more toughness/defense and we get with Bynum and Artest. and Artest can hit the 15-20ftr much more consistantly than Odom is what we need to spread the defense. There would no reason to have Radman's defensive liabitility in the starting line up. Artest/Bynum would basically fill all the holes that Lakers had in the playoffs last year. The X factor is Artest content to be one of the guys instead of the center of attention. Which is huge IF factor even for the likes of Phil Jackson to handle. But I thinks the upside is huge.

itzDarOc
07-15-2008, 01:33 AM
we are going to miss Odom's rebounds but Gasol, Bynum and Artest would pick up the slack... losing Turiaf... we need more toughness/defense and we get with Bynum and Artest. and Artest can hit the 15-20ftr much more consistantly than Odom is what we need to spread the defense. There would no reason to have Radman's defensive liabitility in the starting line up. Artest/Bynum would basically fill all the holes that Lakers had in the playoffs last year. The X factor is Artest content to be one of the guys instead of the center of attention. Which is huge IF factor even for the likes of Phil Jackson to handle. But I thinks the upside is huge.

I hear you!!! I like how you think.

we need another shooter Artest brings it every night!

Lakerfan32
07-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Artest is appealing on the exterior but he has shown he'll be a detriment to a team

XJW18
07-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Yes!!

#32LakerFan
07-15-2008, 04:50 AM
You hit the nail right on the head, Odom is too slow to guard sf's in the NBA and his shooting is horrible, the opposing defense will collapse on bynum and gasol and clog the driving lanes playing off odom. The paint is not big enough for 3 players (Gasol, Bynum, Odom).

Exactly, the player guarding Odom will be able to double-team either Bynum or Gasol when they have the ball in the post. That's why we need a SF who can shoot the 3, to make them pay on defense.

Lakersfan2483
07-15-2008, 04:51 AM
I would take the risk and get Ron Artest, Lamar has proven that he is Inconsistent at best, it's time for a change. I have thought about it for awhile, it's time for Lamar to go.

Lakersfan2483
07-15-2008, 04:52 AM
I still would rather have Marion, but who knows what the Laker front office is doing, we may end up keeping Lamar. Marion would be the better fit for this team overall.

Lakersfan2483
07-15-2008, 04:53 AM
I personally would not be dissapointed to see Lamar go as long as we get equal talent for him.

lakersincebirth
07-15-2008, 05:17 AM
i still like our chances with odom now that bynum's back. everyone should be playing their natural positions

#32LakerFan
07-15-2008, 06:08 AM
i still like our chances with odom now that bynum's back. everyone should be playing their natural positions

You mean Gasol!

Odom is not suitable at the SF position for reasons I previously stated in this thread. Don't get me wrong I like Odom at the PF position, but we have Gasol there now. The way things are now Odom would be best coming off the bench to give Gasol a breather.

I would rather trade him for a good defensive SF (Prince, Artest or Marion), one who can also shoot the 3 to give room for Bynum and Gasol to operate in the post and to open up the lanes for Kobe to drive to the basket.

Iceman_9
07-15-2008, 07:13 AM
I voted yes.. we have the same explanation with #32lakerfan.

DownUnder
07-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Artest may be a loose cannon but he brings everything we need from a 3 in the triangle, plus a more manageable contract and a replacement for Turiaf. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

SouljahPhil...
07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Yes..........

As stated above he is a better defender and more consistent than LO...

If only we could trade for him with out giving odom it would be nice but doubt it will happen..Anyway go for Artest....

lewis
07-15-2008, 10:35 AM
should have just left this as yes or no poll without the reasons why.

I would have voted no because I dont want artest on the lakers, but not for the reasons given in the poll.

so no vote.

8kobe24
07-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't mind having Artest on the team only if the lakers dont give up too much to get him.

TrueFan23
07-15-2008, 11:01 AM
there is no risk, isn't artest kobe's friend and didn't he go to every game to watch the lakers play in the championship

LA_Raiders
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
We need Artest D...

Brooke
07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Yes, I think it can work. This team needs to do something about their defense or lack there of especially in the Finals and he would be a good start in the right direction

Vegasguy80
07-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Wow, 78% yes as of right now. Didn't expect that. But only a few valid reasons why. I know we need better defense but do you really feel he is going to work in the type of offense we run?

Based on Artest stats, he is no better then Odom is. Odom plays more minutes and gets more rebounds a game. Artest 3pt % is about the same as Odom and so are points per game. Odom has better a field goal % and shoots about the same in free throws. And Odom averages playing 65 games in a season while Artest is at 48.

Getting Artest just doesn't add up. Wait until January and then worry about a trade if it doesn't work

G-Funk
07-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow, 78% yes as of right now. Didn't expect that. But only a few valid reasons why. I know we need better defense but do you really feel he is going to work in the type of offense we run?

Based on Artest stats, he is no better then Odom is. Odom plays more minutes and gets more rebounds a game. Artest 3pt % is about the same as Odom and so are points per game. Odom has better a field goal % and shoots about the same in free throws. And Odom averages playing 65 games in a season while Artest is at 48.

Getting Artest just doesn't add up. Wait until January and then worry about a trade if it doesn't work

Artest will get better looks playing along side Gasol & Kobe just like LO did. most of Lamars point come from layups. that will hurt the team in the middle.