PDA

View Full Version : For the Lakers, Artest would be a classic risk-vs.-reward maneuver

G-Funk
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
When last seen, the Lakers were getting run off the Gatorade-splashed floor in Boston on their way to a humiliating defeat in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Since then, it has been awfully quiet for L.A.'s glamour team. It is almost as if Kobe Bryant and Co. are glad to slink back into the shadows and let the Clippers steal all the attention for a while.

But these are the Lakers, after all. So you know they will have something up their sleeve soon to help them regain the Hollywood spotlight. It might even be something really crazy ...

Did somebody just say Ron Artest?

Yes, Hollywood is buzzing over rumors that the Lakers are pursuing Artest in a trade for Lamar Odom. This possible deal, which would require some additional players to make the salaries match up (Odom is on the books for $14.1 next season while Artest will make $7.4 million), has been mentioned in NBA circles for a long time. But it has gained momentum since the Lakers went belly up in the Finals. As crazy as it sounds (there's that word again), the idea does make some sense -- at least in theory.

L.A. already has two quality big men in Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol. What the Lakers really need now, as even Kobe mentioned in the Finals postmortem, is more defensive backbone. Odom, for all the positives he brings, simply does not provide enough starch (at least not with Gasol next to him) in the lane.

Artest might have his drawbacks, but there is no doubt about his ability to defend. The former Defensive Player of the Year also brings a bit of a mean streak that would make opponents think twice about taking any shots at Bryant. Throw in the fact that Artest is also a 20-point scorer, and it's easy to see why the Lakers might be interested.

The Kings can point out that Artest is a better overall player than Odom, and that the Lakers have to pay a bigger price by taking on a bad contract or two (Kenny Thomas?) in return. Behind the scenes, however, Sacramento would probably love to get rid of Artest for chemistry and stability reasons. The Kings are in rebuilding mode, and they have to be concerned about the volatile swingman's mind-set after he came out recently and said that he regretted not opting out of the final year (and $7.4 million) of his contract to become a free agent this summer. Sacramento also could use a good, versatile big man like Odom to pair with its backcourt of Beno Udrih and Kevin Martin.

The Lakers have much more at stake in this deal, and thus much more to lose. For one, Artest, never shy about wanting to showcase his scoring ability, might not be willing to learn the triangle offense. Second, there is no guarantee that the self-titled Tru Warior won't cut out in midseason to promote a rap CD for his Hollywood pals. Even Phil Jackson, who once dealt with Dennis Rodman, might not want to take on that kind of challenge.

There is no doubt that an Artest move to Hollywood would be fun to watch. But the powers that be in La-La Land would be wise to explore all other options before making this potential deal.

si.com

Storch
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Phil wants tough defenders that can bang bodies = So, hes up for the challenge of ronron.

Ron claimed phil is the ideal coach = He will study the triangle.

Ron claimed kobe is his idol in 1on1 interview where ron was interviewing kobe = He will take the back seat of any of kobe's cars.

Hopefully the lakers can mug another team and not give up odom, because kobe lamar and artest are all good friends = Chemistry wont be hurt too bad, if anything it might get better, kobe can trust this guy to score.

Ron can make as much rap cd's as he wants, just dont diss kobe like shaq does.

Artest come to LA!! :cheers:
Make it happen mitch!

G-Funk
07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
The former Defensive Player of the Year also brings a bit of a mean streak that would make opponents(Shaq) think twice about taking any shots at Bryant.

Storch
07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
hahaha he can be like bryant's mean body guard making mean faces at anyone who looks at kobe.

tim
07-14-2008, 05:43 PM
good find! haha he would be like kobes little minion huh?

DisBeAliG
07-14-2008, 05:45 PM
My goodness! All these rumors, articles, speculation...this reminds me of KG part II. Everyone swore for 2-3 yrs that KG was going to come out here. I just hope something comes out of all this!

lowdown32
07-14-2008, 05:58 PM
I think nothing is going to happen until after thursday , when we find out about Ronny, then we will have some sort of answer to whats going to happen next.Ron ( who wants to be called Bill know) is his own agent now after the last one told him not to opt out, and he wants to be tradeed . He told the Kings he will not play for them after his contract is up and bet 14 and a half million next year sounds alot better than 8 and a headache and another year of Kenny Thomas.

G-Funk
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM
My goodness! All these rumors, articles, speculation...this reminds me of KG part II. Everyone swore for 2-3 yrs that KG was going to come out here. I just hope something comes out of all this! The only difference is that we have trading chips this time around.

Lakersfan2483
07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Let's hope something good comes out of all of this, in my opinion we should re-visit the S. Marion trade. Trade Lamar and Rad for Marion.

Tapptout
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
id take Ron Ron before Marion.

IndyFan
07-14-2008, 08:07 PM
id take Ron Ron before Marion.

so would i. i would take ron before a lot of guys. ron can play.

:)

SouljahPhil...
07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
me also..I would like to take ron ron b4 marion..

GermanLakersFan
07-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Yepp agreed! I like ron better as crazy as it sounds we kinda need a headcase like ronron. he would give us more toughness and defense than anybody. plus marion is a self-centered *****. He would not accept being Kobes sidekick as well as ronron imo.

DownUnder
07-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Move on from Turiaf. Trade for Artest and let's go. I'd reckon Miami could still be sniffing around because they need big man depth (Mihm), but the only doubt people have over Artest is the between the ears factor. Otherwise he is exactly what we need. It's worth the gamble and we could try before we buy his extension if he's fair dinkum.

Iceman_9
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I think something will happen the moment Turiaf will be officially a warrior.. This might be time to make the trade. This is just the calm before the storm.

GermanLakersFan
07-15-2008, 07:37 AM
We all hope so...

Iceman_9
07-15-2008, 07:45 AM
I just have this gut feeling.. We need to let Turiaf go first officially coz well be getting a big man in Thomas or SAR.. :)