PDA

View Full Version : The All-Star Game is a Joke

dwright3b5
07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I've thought this for a long time and its ridiculous. The All-Star game has become such a joke, the whole process is horrible.
The voting the players in is horrible, guys like Fukudome get voted in because of all the japanese people voting for him. Besides Fukudome I cant think of any other outrageous starters, but all the backups are ridiculous, its all picked by the managers, and the PLAYERS?? Come on, the PLAYERS picked Aramis over Wright, I mean Aramis is havign a solid season, but Wrights are better by a considerable amount, and if it wasnt for an injury, he still wouldnt even be in the game. And like Reyes, I saw the thread about that record, its just ridiculous how he isnt picked as a backup, I'm fine with Hanley being the starter, but Reyes not even being there? Thats just a load of ****. I havent looked at the full rosters and checked all the players that should and shouldnt be there, but im sure those arent the only ones that deserve/dont deserve to be there. It didnt matter years ago what they did and who they picked because it didnt count toward the world series, but now it does! This needs to end, I believe it should be put on the baseball writers to put the players in, and to select them. I understand it takes away the fan interaction, but really, if your a fan, you want the best team to be out there to win your team's league the home field advantage, not to vote your hometown favorites (like Papi whos injured, as well as Soriano getting voted in with unplayable injuries), or your country's players, It needs to be changed.

rriders9
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Exactly how I feel, how is Reyes not in the game?

lincecum=future
07-14-2008, 05:37 PM
The All Star Game is a joke. I don't know why people take it so seriously and are so butthurt if their player isn't selected. I know the winner decides Home-field advantage but its not that big of a deal. Its all about the HR Derby :cool:

quade36
07-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Dude you need to chill with the homer love....

There are plenty of players deserving to make the allstar teams, and yes not all from NY.

Okay, the only arguement you have is that Reyes is having a better season then Tejada. You can't complain about Guzman because he is the only Nationals representative and he is, by far, having the best season for a Nationals player.

That being said, Theriot deserves to go above Reyes so your justification is extremely weak.

Also, not sure where you get Wright having a better season then Ramirez. Ramirez has a better OPS, higher average, and has been stellar at third. I guess if you mean by Wright have 4 more RBIs he is having a much better season, then well I can't argue with that. Wright still made the team mind you...

Jorge Cantu is having just as good if not a better season then Wright. How come you don't mention him getting snubbed?

Bottom line, you should really look at all players before complaining about your team's players that don't make the team.

viktor06
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Dude, you make some points about Cantu, but how the hell can you say Theriot has a better season than Reyes?

Theriot 1HR 25RBI 15SB 9CS 101OPS+
Reyes 10HR 43RBI 32SB 10CS 127OPS+

JHG722
07-14-2008, 05:58 PM
I agree, but my biggest problem with the ASG is that fans only vote for position players. Not that I want idiot homer fans voting for pitchers too, but it shouldn't be half assed--vote for pitchers and position players, or vote for neither...

Chaotic
07-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I agree that the All Star game has it's flaws, but let's look at the one true fact. It's a no brainer that they want to have a lot of people watch this game, as they would with any major sporting event. Whom do the people want to watch? Their favorite players. How do we assure that their favorite players get there? Allow the fans to vote. Is it fair? Absolutely not, the ones with the better numbers should be playing as it's a deciding factor on home field advantage.

However, fans are going to be more likely to watch the players they like and are more fond of as opposed to the guys with somewhat better stats. Let's be honest as well though, it's not like the players selected are scrubby, talentless players. Jeter, Manny, Arod, etc might not be having the best years out of the group, but they all have decent years either way.

Bottom line, fans pay a large amount of money to go see players they have a desire to watch. Television shows players people stuck at home want to see play. It's the reality of this event and people have to accept it already.

quade36
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Dude, you make some points about Cantu, but how the hell can you say Theriot has a better season than Reyes?

Theriot 1HR 25RBI 15SB 9CS 101OPS+
Reyes 10HR 43RBI 32SB 10CS 127OPS+

You are right on the Theriot remark. I just quickly looked at their stats. Sorry about that. Just trying to get this person to see that the Mets weren't the team snubbed. A lot of players are always snubbed. Its just the way it is. If he were to make a constructive critism about players making the team that didn't deserve to he would have mentioned Jason Varitek in his arguement, and he didn't.

chicubs377
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
aramis is having a way better season than wright.

jetsfan28
07-14-2008, 06:21 PM
You are right on the Theriot remark. I just quickly looked at their stats. Sorry about that. Just trying to get this person to see that the Mets weren't the team snubbed. A lot of players are always snubbed. Its just the way it is. If he were to make a constructive critism about players making the team that didn't deserve to he would have mentioned Jason Varitek in his arguement, and he didn't.

The Mets definitely weren't the only team snubbed, every AL team who didn't have a catcher make it was snubbed, as were the Phillies and Astros who had Lee and Burrell not make it for Fukudome, but the Tejada over Reyes pick was absolutely ridiculous.

NickB79
07-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Instead of it being an "all-star" game it should just be played between the cubs and red sox. I feel the way you guys about being snubbed by i'm not going to complain about that. I will not watch this game b/c of the poor selection of players.

NickB79
07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Starters for the NL should be
1st - Pujols
2nd- Utley
SS - Ramirez
3rd - Chipper Jones
Outfielders - Berkman 1st base and outfield eligible
Braun
Carlos Lee
Catcher - Soto

ShinobiNYC
07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Starters for the NL should be
1st - Pujols
2nd- Utley
SS - Ramirez
3rd - Chipper Jones
Outfielders - Berkman 1st base and outfield eligible
Braun
Carlos Lee
Catcher - Soto

C- McCann
1B- Berkman
2B- Utley
3B- Chipper
SS- Hanley
RF- Burrell
CF- McLouth
LF- Braun
DH- Pujols

Jimi032890
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
i always enjoy watching the all-star game. i agree that every year there is at least 1 or 2 guys that dont deserve to be playing and are only there cuz of popularity from previous years but it still is fun to watch i think. Im also an AL fan so it helps that my team always wins

Bearscubs4life
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
So most people agree the all star voting is a joke, so here is an idea; vote as many times as you can for the players you feel should be in the all star game. **** make up an email accounts to vote more times than the next guy(I didn't do this but I am also not *****ing about it) It is plain to see this happens so join the club and make a difference or don't ***** about it. I don't see the voting system changing so play the system. Spend less time crying about it and more time voting for who you think should play.

Cullksinikers
07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
The voting is filled with homerism, but since it's for homefield advantage in the World Series, it's no longer a joke and needs to be taken seriously by the fans and players.

Cullksinikers
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Another thing I don't like about the All Star Game is everybody has tp have an all star. Do you think Jose Guillen is sweating about winning the game so maybe the White Sox have the chance at homefield advantage or other players and teams? Some guys don't deserve to be in, but have to be so at least 1 guy represents their club.

freedas
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I've thought this for a long time and its ridiculous. The All-Star game has become such a joke, the whole process is horrible.
The voting the players in is horrible, guys like Fukudome get voted in because of all the japanese people voting for him. Besides Fukudome I cant think of any other outrageous starters, but all the backups are ridiculous, its all picked by the managers, and the PLAYERS?? Come on, the PLAYERS picked Aramis over Wright, I mean Aramis is havign a solid season, but Wrights are better by a considerable amount, and if it wasnt for an injury, he still wouldnt even be in the game. And like Reyes, I saw the thread about that record, its just ridiculous how he isnt picked as a backup, I'm fine with Hanley being the starter, but Reyes not even being there? Thats just a load of ****. I havent looked at the full rosters and checked all the players that should and shouldnt be there, but im sure those arent the only ones that deserve/dont deserve to be there. It didnt matter years ago what they did and who they picked because it didnt count toward the world series, but now it does! This needs to end, I believe it should be put on the baseball writers to put the players in, and to select them. I understand it takes away the fan interaction, but really, if your a fan, you want the best team to be out there to win your team's league the home field advantage, not to vote your hometown favorites (like Papi whos injured, as well as Soriano getting voted in with unplayable injuries), or your country's players, It needs to be changed.
yeah your right biggest snub is carlos lee and reyes, also brian mc cann should be starting

H-MYK
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
It's a popularity contest. That's what the voting is.

NickB79
07-14-2008, 08:48 PM
So most people agree the all star voting is a joke, so here is an idea; vote as many times as you can for the players you feel should be in the all star game. **** make up an email accounts to vote more times than the next guy(I didn't do this but I am also not *****ing about it) It is plain to see this happens so join the club and make a difference or don't ***** about it. I don't see the voting system changing so play the system. Spend less time crying about it and more time voting for who you think should play.

i'm not *****ing just stating a point and my point is this game is going to suck:puke:

Phillies 369083
07-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, Reyes, McCann, and Burrell should all be starting but the voting is just a popularity contest.

JHG722
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Reyes should be starting? What???

KiLLA RAiDER
07-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Ture?! I hate da fact dat every year half of the AL roster is yankees and red sox?! I hate da **** man?! The leauge should vote who gets in?! And dey should goo by stats not my NAME!? But watever goo AL! We need dat homefield advantage Oakland Athletics! :)

Hendo
07-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Varitek... seriously... if it wasn't at Yankee Stadium I would not watch the all-star game this year. HE IS DOING HORRIBLE! :puke:
"oh the players voted him in" please... that's bull****. "oh but he's a great team leader. He brings so much to the clubhouse" Yea... I'm really sure things like grit, heart and soul being present in the clubhouse at that all-star game will help inspire the American League to win...

"oh but he makes everyone around him better!!!!1!!" Yup because those all stars really need someone who is batting .218 to rub off on them... When redsox fans say that I think it's more like when the regular chick that hangs out with the ugly chick. It makes look hot by comparison just like he makes everyone else look better by comparison.

like in Family Guy

Meg: Hi, can I help you?
Ugly Girl: Some company hired me to stand next to you so you'd look better by comparison.
Meg: That's ridiculous, I don't--
Boy: Meg, did you get less ugly?
Meg: Yeah!
:pity:

pavel96
07-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Exactly how I feel, how is Reyes not in the game?

b/c the mets are the biggest joke in the history of baseball, wheres giambi, no one wants to see the steroid using ortiz sittin around, and why not mussina, im not a yankee fan but c'mon, lets get serious, and no met should be allowed on the all-star team b/c they are so awful, huge fluke, they wont win 70 games this year

JHG722
07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Varitek... seriously... if it wasn't at Yankee Stadium I would not watch the all-star game this year. HE IS DOING HORRIBLE! :puke:
"oh the players voted him in" please... that's bull****. "oh but he's a great team leader. He brings so much to the clubhouse" Yea... I'm really sure things like grit, heart and soul being present in the clubhouse at that all-star game will help inspire the American League to win...

"oh but he makes everyone around him better!!!!1!!" Yup because those all stars really need someone who is batting .218 to rub off on them... When redsox fans say that I think it's more like when the regular chick that hangs out with the ugly chick. It makes look hot by comparison just like he makes everyone else look better by comparison.

like in Family Guy

Meg: Hi, can I help you?
Ugly Girl: Some company hired me to stand next to you so you'd look better by comparison.
Meg: That's ridiculous, I don't--
Boy: Meg, did you get less ugly?
Meg: Yeah!
:pity:

While I agree that he doesn't deserve to be in there (and I'm a Sox fan), Varitek brings something very very few others in the Majors do--he's essentially another manager out there. The guy calls the game better than anyone in history.

JHG722
07-14-2008, 11:10 PM
b/c the mets are the biggest joke in the history of baseball, wheres giambi, no one wants to see the steroid using ortiz sittin around, and why not mussina, im not a yankee fan but c'mon, lets get serious, and no met should be allowed on the all-star team b/c they are so awful, huge fluke, they wont win 70 games this year

Do people seriously think Papi uses roids?

ugafan
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM

Seriously? Ortiz on steroids? Have you seen his Body fat percentage?

ugafan
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Do people seriously think Papi uses roids?

I don't:shrug:

JHG722
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Ture?! I hate da fact dat every year half of the AL roster is yankees and red sox?! I hate da **** man?! The leauge should vote who gets in?! And dey should goo by stats not my NAME!? But watever goo AL! We need dat homefield advantage Oakland Athletics! :)

2008: 10/33
2007: 9/32
2006: 8/32
2005: 8/33

Try again.

JHG722
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Seriously? Ortiz on steroids? Have you seen his Body fat percentage?

65 :laugh: <3 Papi

Redsoxin09
07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
While I agree that he doesn't deserve to be in there (and I'm a Sox fan), Varitek brings something very very few others in the Majors do--he's essentially another manager out there. The guy calls the game better than anyone in history.

You've watched way to many Red Sox's games and listened to the announcers, he definately isn't the best in the game EVER to ever call a game. I'd argue he isn't even the best right now.

JHG722
07-14-2008, 11:33 PM
You've watched way to many Red Sox's games and listened to the announcers, he definately isn't the best in the game EVER to ever call a game. I'd argue he isn't even the best right now.

Considering where I live, no I havent :cool:

DamnGoat
07-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Besides Fukudome I cant think of any other outrageous starters
That's easy...

Ichiro, Jeter, Pedroia.

At least Pedroia deserves to be in the game, but not starting over Kinsler...no way.

Ichiro and Jeter are both having worse offensive seasons than Fukudome. And though Fukudome doesn't deserve to be in the ASG, before the last couple weeks (where he's slumped horribly) he at least was in the top 20 in his league in OPS. Can't say the same about Jeter or Ichiro, just a couple of big names having weak seasons.

Overall, I totally agree with this thread though. The game is a joke and the fact that they've tried to make it meaningful by having Homefield Advantage up for grabs is even more of a joke.

DmL
07-15-2008, 01:31 AM
How does Wright deserve to be there over Aramis? Seriosuly? Only 1 Met deserves to be there and that's Reyes.

Aramis is one of the most consistent run producers over the last 6 years, Averaging 100+ each of those years. Can't say that about Wright.

ugafan
07-15-2008, 01:36 AM
How does Wright deserve to be there over Aramis? Seriosuly? Only 1 Met deserves to be there and that's Reyes.

Aramis is one of the most consistent run producers over the last 6 years, Averaging 100+ each of those years. Can't say that about Wright.

Wright hasn't played six years idiot. That carries no weight. In Wright's 3 full years he had 102,116,107 RBIs respectively. Wright has been easily better throughout their career's, and I'd give Wright the nod over Ramirez because of his speed.

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Dude you need to chill with the homer love....

There are plenty of players deserving to make the allstar teams, and yes not all from NY.

Okay, the only arguement you have is that Reyes is having a better season then Tejada. You can't complain about Guzman because he is the only Nationals representative and he is, by far, having the best season for a Nationals player.

That being said, Theriot deserves to go above Reyes so your justification is extremely weak.

Also, not sure where you get Wright having a better season then Ramirez. Ramirez has a better OPS, higher average, and has been stellar at third. I guess if you mean by Wright have 4 more RBIs he is having a much better season, then well I can't argue with that. Wright still made the team mind you...

Jorge Cantu is having just as good if not a better season then Wright. How come you don't mention him getting snubbed?

Bottom line, you should really look at all players before complaining about your team's players that don't make the team.

Theriot over Reyes??? HA, you must be kidding me

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 02:02 AM

Alright im glad you realized about theriot, but I didnt say the Mets were the only team snubbed, I believe I said that I didnt speak for all teams and that there were, as a Met fan I noticed the Mets that were snubbed and I realize that there are others that were snubbed as well, im not single minded

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 02:08 AM
aramis is having a way better season than wright.

Saying that is a huge stretch

Wright-.282 BA 17 HR 70 RBI 11 SB 60 R
Aramis-.285 BA 17 HR 66 RBI 1 SB 59 R

They are having comperable seasons, but to say that he is having a way better season is ridiculous, to say that he is having a better season at all is ridiculous, because he isn't, Wright's numbers are better

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Wright hasn't played six years idiot. That carries no weight. In Wright's 3 full years he had 102,116,107 RBIs respectively. Wright has been easily better throughout their career's, and I'd give Wright the nod over Ramirez because of his speed.

Perfectly said, the numbers are comperable, but the speed gives the edge to Wright

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 02:15 AM
That's easy...

Ichiro, Jeter, Pedroia.

At least Pedroia deserves to be in the game, but not starting over Kinsler...no way.

Ichiro and Jeter are both having worse offensive seasons than Fukudome. And though Fukudome doesn't deserve to be in the ASG, before the last couple weeks (where he's slumped horribly) he at least was in the top 20 in his league in OPS. Can't say the same about Jeter or Ichiro, just a couple of big names having weak seasons.

Overall, I totally agree with this thread though. The game is a joke and the fact that they've tried to make it meaningful by having Homefield Advantage up for grabs is even more of a joke.

I agree with you there too, but I hadnt really looked at the AL stats as much because I dont follow them as much, so I was mostly pertaining to the NL in my post

DamnGoat
07-15-2008, 02:22 AM

They are having comperable seasons, but to say that he is having a way better season is ridiculous, to say that he is having a better season at all is ridiculous, because he isn't, Wright's numbers are better
It's not ridiculous to say Ramirez is having a better season.

He has only been slightly better though.

Ramirez: .285/.386/.515/.901
Wright: .282/.380/.499/.878

Oh, and I know you didn't mention his speed, but a couple others did here. Do 11/15 (73%) steals really make a significant difference when comparing their numbers? It's pointless to even bring it up IMO.

ShinobiNYC
07-15-2008, 02:55 AM
That's easy...

Ichiro, Jeter, Pedroia.

I rather have someone with a 103 OPS+ and 34 steals(Ichiro) than someone with a 107 OPS+ and just 8 steals(Fukudome). But that's just me.

quade36
07-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Cantu -.283 BA 18 HR 54 RBI 3 SB 59 R

Still, you must put Jorge Cantu in this conversation and you resist. Why? Sure he doesn't have the sexy name and is not playing on a sexy team like Wright or Ramirez. But look at the stats.

Mind you, Cantu is doing this on a team that ranks 20th in baseball in BA, and 24th in OBP, where the cubs and mets rank 3rd and 10th in BA and 1st and 7th in OBP.

Based on that, with the stats being so even, Cantu deserves to go instead of Ramirez and Wright, but he was the one left off. Again if you aren't a sexy name or don't play for a sexy team, its almost impossible to make the allstar team unless you have a sensational season.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
It's not ridiculous to say Ramirez is having a better season.

He has only been slightly better though.

Oh, and I know you didn't mention his speed, but a couple others did here. Do 11/15 (73%) steals really make a significant difference when comparing their numbers? It's pointless to even bring it up IMO.

The numbers has a lot bigger gap in between them but Rami hit a little slide while Wright surged back this last week or so IIRC. And yeah speed is a horrible way to try and justify

Still, you must put Jorge Cantu in this conversation and you resist. Why? Sure he doesn't have the sexy name and is not playing on a sexy team like Wright or Ramirez. But look at the stats.

Mind you, Cantu is doing this on a team that ranks 20th in baseball in BA, and 24th in OBP, where the cubs and mets rank 3rd and 10th in BA and 1st and 7th in OBP.

Based on that, with the stats being so even, Cantu deserves to go instead of Ramirez and Wright, but he was the one left off. Again if you aren't a sexy name or don't play for a sexy team, its almost impossible to make the allstar team unless you have a sensational season.

Stats so even? Are you blind?
Cantu: .283/.330/.489/.819

Thats a significant difference in OPS not to mention Cantu's subpar defense at 3b

Buckwheat
07-15-2008, 08:55 AM
The numbers has a lot bigger gap in between them but Rami hit a little slide while Wright surged back this last week or so IIRC. And yeah speed is a horrible way to try and justify

Thats a significant difference in OPS not to mention Cantu's subpar defense at 3b

People are just blinded by their homerun stats. Let them be.

Phillies 369083
07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Reyes should be starting? What???

I didn't want to sound like a homer by putting only Burrell in there. But no for Reyes i meant should have made the team.

Bearscubs4life
07-15-2008, 11:23 AM
i'm not *****ing just stating a point and my point is this game is going to suck:puke:

I agree. :clap:

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Not only that, but Wright has 16 more rbi's than Cantu, thats pretty significant, 1 less hr, but thats not a big deal, and I wont mention speen because someone already complained about that and said stolen bases are a dumb stat to bring up here.:cool:

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Not only that, but Wright has 16 more rbi's than Cantu, thats pretty significant, 1 less hr, but thats not a big deal, and I wont mention speen because someone already complained about that and said stolen bases are a dumb stat to bring up here.:cool:

:clap: You're almost there now just forget that little tidbit about more HR's and RBI's and you'll be almost ready to graduate!

NickB79
07-15-2008, 12:04 PM

Dude, you're dick....who is your team? How are the Mets a fluke and not going to win 70 games?:k:

NickB79
07-15-2008, 12:07 PM

Wright hasn't played six years:speechless:

Allabouthephils
07-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way... The fans choosing their favorite players that they want to see play in a game they love... hahaha...

Why not just have every single star in baseball play one out per inning ??? I'm a Phils fan and I know Burrell and Hamels got robbed but hey, that's the way it works... I'm happy because Lidge and Utley are deserving...

The fans speak and that's the way it is... I wouldn't have it any other way... It's a great game and it's even better now because it means something and the players are going to play harder... I love it... The derby, the futures game, everything about it...

Quit whining and enjoy the game...

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
:clap: You're almost there now just forget that little tidbit about more HR's and RBI's and you'll be almost ready to graduate!

:confused:

eyememine
07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Dude, you're dick....who is your team? How are the Mets a fluke and not going to win 70 games?:k:

^^^wow that strike out think goes "KKK". Kinda Krazy

Anyhow its the all star game and not the all pro game, so technically only the biggest stars should be there. Thats why I say Barry Zito should be there. Everyone knows him and talks about him all the time

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Ill say this for the record since there are a few people that are annoyed and think im jsut whining, that was just how I felt about chosing the team, I DO watch teh game every year, and cheer for the NL, I enjoy the game very much, jsut not the way they pick the teams

quade36
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM

OMG, I will stop. Obviously this thread is filled with cub and met homers.

Okay you guys win. Your teams are the best. David Wright and Aramis Ramirez are the greatest 3B ever.

I didn't know it was a contest.

A lot of how a player does can be determined by how his team does. I mentioned in my post that the CUBS AS A TEAM and the METS AS A TEAM are far better then the Marlins. Therefore, yes his freakin OPS isn't as high, and he doesn't have as much RBIs, but that has a lot to do with situational hitting. I'd like to see a stat that shows how Ramirez and Wright have done without runners on base, or when a pitcher has a low pitch count.

My whole point was you all were arguing how Ramirez was WAY better then Wright or Wright was WAY better then Ramirez. I just brought up someone who IS having a good season. And no I didn't just base it on HRs. All stats in general are flawed, yes even the mighty OPS. Name one hitter that hit over .300, had over 100 walks, over 100 RBIs, over a .900 OPS and DIDN'T have another player on their team do well?

Whatever, you guys are right. I am not going to argue with biased people.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Okay you guys win. Your teams are the best. David Wright and Aramis Ramirez are the greatest 3B ever.

A lot of how a player does can be determined by how his team does. I mentioned in my post that the CUBS AS A TEAM and the METS AS A TEAM are far better then the Marlins. Therefore, yes his freakin OPS isn't as high, and he doesn't have as much RBIs, but that has a lot to do with situational hitting. I'd like to see a stat that shows how Ramirez and Wright have done without runners on base, or when a pitcher has a low pitch count.

My whole point was you all were arguing how Ramirez was WAY better then Wright or Wright was WAY better then Ramirez. I just brought up someone who IS having a good season. And no I didn't just base it on HRs. All stats in general are flawed, yes even the mighty OPS. Name one hitter that hit over .300, had over 100 walks, over 100 RBIs, over a .900 OPS and DIDN'T have another player on their team do well?

I could give 2 flying ****s about the team they're on. Thats why you dont look at RBI's. As far as someone as a good player putting up good numbers on a bad team Barry Bonds? Hanley Ramirez? Nate McClouth? Adrian Gonzalez? Those are just a few who've done it off the top of my head

Lets try and break it down for you low pitch counts normally means low innings yes? I really dont know how that helps to much or how you would ever try and judge that. Hell should we take into account Aramis' ability to RAKE in the late innings? I guess that relievers would have low pitch counts right? If so then Aramis has a 1.242 OPS in the 7-9th innings as opposed to Cantu's .673?

Seriously your entire argument is flawed because you have NOTHING absolutly NOTHING to base it on. Fact of the matter is the things that you can compare hitters on is OBP% and SLG% because outside of an IBB it is completly dependent on the hitter and not the lineup around them.

Cantu has the lowest OPS and the worst defense out of the 3 but keep campaigning. :clap:

EDIT: To fault your argument even MORE the Marlins have scored more runs than the Mets this year? I'm lost as to where you are getting your reasoning...

DamnGoat
07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I rather have someone with a 103 OPS+ and 34 steals(Ichiro) than someone with a 107 OPS+ and just 8 steals(Fukudome). But that's just me.
B/c steals are so important right?

I'd rather have someone that can slug over .400 and is on pace for over 100 BB's, but that's just me.

DmL
07-15-2008, 05:01 PM

I'm the idiot? How bout you read what I said you ****ing moron. I said over the past 6 years A-Ram has been one of the most consisten run producers. suck a dick. Braves suck.

NickB79
07-15-2008, 05:18 PM
lol

dwright3b5
07-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Hey dumbass I already said that I mostly follow the Mets which is why I was mentioning the Mets, so stop trying to make us feel bad, awww your all alone with some met and cub fans, anyways, I dont need to bring the stats done, that deed has already been taken care of

Cadarn
07-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Hey dumbass I already said that I mostly follow the Mets which is why I was mentioning the Mets, so stop trying to make us feel bad, awww your all alone with some met and cub fans, anyways, I dont need to bring the stats done, that deed has already been taken care of

Just make it mets vs yankees or red sox so these morons will stop whining every year

lawphin2
07-16-2008, 12:13 AM
I cant stand listening to the game. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver have not said one thing interesting, funny, or brought anything new to the broadcast. They're awful and I know everyone agrees with me, I just want to complain about them again.

Also who saw Kazmir's Pink Panther mustache? it looks funny, like he's not quite old enough to grow a full one.

sniglewhat
07-16-2008, 12:16 AM
why the **** isnt McCann in the game yet?

Vegasguy80
07-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Wow, what a thread!

Saw someone say "Why isn't Reyes an All-star". Why should he be? He hasn't done anything. He was stinking it up half the year! Too many damn negative people.

Cadarn
07-16-2008, 01:56 AM
why the **** isnt McCann in the game yet?

they didn't want to lose?

nstachowski
07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
I know it was at Yankee Stadium, but did anyone else think it was ridiculous that Jeter made the team and even started with a .284 ave, 5 HR, 42 RBIs, and only 5 Steals...This is his worst season ever and he still gets voted in as the starter. That is ridiculous

Air Adam
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
there really wasn't anyone else maybe Michael Young that had a better year then him.

jsand3030
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
The All Star Game is a joke. I don't know why people take it so seriously and are so butthurt if their player isn't selected. I know the winner decides Home-field advantage but its not that big of a deal. Its all about the HR Derby :cool:

I actually think the HR derby has become boring as hell and the actual game last night was pretty damn good...

Drucifer
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
At one time, they played to win. Now, I don't know what they do. They sure don't play to win as they try to get every bench player into the game just because they made the team -- like they do for a game of 5 years old!

The game maybe played like baseball, but that ain't baseball!

I can understand, the need to change pitchers frequently in this age of pitch counts, but still not every pitcher needs to used.

But as to position players, sorry, but when I was growing up, there were three types of All-Stars, those that started, those that got in late in the game and those that rode the bench. Now it seems, you play three - four innings, one or two at bats and you're out of the game until the bench is empty by the 8th inning. Stupid!

As to selecting the All Stars, personally, I think the players, coaches and managers should select the starters, this includes all three type of pitchers - starters, setup and closer. This vote should take place exactly 45 days before the ASG.

Then the fans should be allowed to vote for the bench players and extra pitchers. And to hell with the 32nd man vote.

dwright3b5
07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow, what a thread!

Saw someone say "Why isn't Reyes an All-star". Why should he be? He hasn't done anything. He was stinking it up half the year! Too many damn negative people.

HAHAHA, you mus tbe kidding right? How about the fact that he is the first person EVER to have 10 HR-10 3B-20 2B-30 SB at the break, EVER.