PDA

View Full Version : Favre interview tonight 7/14

Chrisman04
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
He'll be on tonight at 10pm EST to talk about whats going on. From the little of the transcript that they released it sounds as if he's in the dark on a couple things and that he most certainly wants to play football this year. I have no doubt he'll be in uniform, I just pray it'll be #4 in Green Bay.

I just think they should give Brett a condition that he has to play at least 2 more years so that he can groom the real QB of the future, in this case either of the 2 we just drafted.

servais77
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8306816/Favre:-I-don't-feel-welcome-in-Green-Bay

Airs tonight 10 eastern.

He says he feels unwelcome by team and is only guilty of retiring too early.

Soop
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Can't wait to get home later to check it out.

twelvePack
07-14-2008, 04:05 PM
He'll be on tonight at 10pm EST to talk about whats going on. From the little of the transcript that they released it sounds as if he's in the dark on a couple things and that he most certainly wants to play football this year. I have no doubt he'll be in uniform, I just pray it'll be #4 in Green Bay.

I just think they should give Brett a condition that he has to play at least 2 more years so that he can groom the real QB of the future, in this case either of the 2 we just drafted.

What channel is it going to be on?

mlesnet
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
it will be on fox news. I wonder if that means 7pm Pacific Time or 10pm over here as well?? anyone know?

Soop
07-14-2008, 04:09 PM
^ Where are you at? 10pm EST

twelvePack
07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Well the truth is coming out tonight. I just saw some excerpts for the interview, and Favre pretty much sums up what TT is doing, telling half truths to the media, and ****ing Favre around.

Ryan Diesel
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I read the article that has part of it in there. What a joke, I can't believe TT is pulling this garbage. I thought when it came down to it, he'd make the smart decision, even if he didn't want to. I thought he would make the decision you have to make to make us a better team. Tell Favre he's a backup? How quick everyone forgets what the guy has gone through for us the last 16 years. He stuck by us when his family was dying, wife had cancer. Even after Numbnutz drafted his replacement four years ago. Does anyone even realize how much money Brett Favre has made for the state of Wisconsin. Does anyone remember what Lambeau looked like before Favre? It sure wasn't what it is today, thats for sure. Thats the house that Favre built. Backup, are you kidding me? How about Ron Wolf comes back and Thompson can be his backup.

Ryan Diesel
07-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Well the truth is coming out tonight. I just saw some excerpts for the interview, and Favre pretty much sums up what TT is doing, telling half truths to the media, and ****ing Favre around.

It also looks like he's going to talk about how TT has been treating him like dirt for the last four years and forcing him out. Exactly like me, you, and several others in this forum have been pointing out for years now. And I take absolutely no satisfaction in being right in this situation, I wish I was wrong.

Soop
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Here you go

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre finally is speaking for himself: He wants to play but doesn't feel welcome in Green Bay, so he's asking to be released.

The quarterback's first substantial comments on his latest retirement decision reversal come in an interview with Fox News on "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren."

"I am guilty of retiring early and there is a reason for that," Favre said, according to an excerpt provided to The Associated Press before the Monday night broadcast. "And the major issue is 'Why did he retire?,' and 'He asked for a release because he doesn't want to play in Green Bay.' That's not true. And I hope people are hearing this and saying 'OK, that clears it up.' "

According to Van Susteren, who spoke to the AP by telephone Monday afternoon, Favre said he was "never fully committed" to retiring and felt pressured by the Packers to make a decision, a notion Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy tried to dispel in an interview with the AP on Saturday.

"Ted always wanted Brett back," McCarthy said. "We always wanted Brett back."

Favre told Fox he understands that the Packers want to move on -- but if they're doing so, they should let him go.

"Them moving on does not bother me," Favre said. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I'm thinking about playing again."

Van Susteren, who is from Appleton, Wis., and is a Packers shareholder, said Favre made it clear he would not return to the Packers if he wasn't the starter. And while Favre said the Packers asked him for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade, he wants to be released to make sure he ends up on a competitive club.

Thompson said the team wasn't going to release Favre, but he could come back in a "different role than he was" because the team is committed to going forward with Aaron Rodgers.

Thompson and Packers coach Mike McCarthy wouldn't discuss the possibility of trading Favre and said they hadn't received any trade inquiries as of Saturday.

Thompson and McCarthy gave AP a detailed description of their dealings with Favre throughout the offseason, including an episode a few weeks after Favre's retirement where the two were prepared to fly to Mississippi to seal the deal on a Favre comeback -- only to have the quarterback change his mind again.

Favre's interview -- which was receiving top billing over an interview with John McCain in promos for Van Susteren's show that aired during the day Monday -- is the latest development in what is looking more and more like an irreparable schism between one of the NFL's most revered franchises and perhaps its most beloved quarterback.

Thompson called the situation "gut-wrenching" Saturday.

"I mean, it hurts," he said. "I'm not talking about physically hurting, but the sensitivity. We understand where the fans are coming from. This is a hot-button issue that surpasses anything I've ever gone through."

iam brett favre
07-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Van Susteren, who is from Appleton, Wis., and is a Packers shareholder, said Favre made it clear he would not return to the Packers if he wasn't the starter. And while Favre said the Packers asked him for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade, he wants to be released to make sure he ends up on a competitive club.

:pity: TT wont say he will be the starter.. i doubt he will be on the Packers this year.

twelvePack
07-14-2008, 04:37 PM
It also looks like he's going to talk about how TT has been treating him like dirt for the last four years and forcing him out. Exactly like me, you, and several others in this forum have been pointing out for years now. And I take absolutely no satisfaction in being right in this situation, I wish I was wrong.

Well, some people are blinded easily. I'm glad Favre is going to finally speak. Hopefully, Wolf is moving back to Green Bay for other reasons, and I really wouldn't be surprised either. There is more to that move then what meets the eyes too. I have been in Florida where he lives, and there is no way he is moving to Green Bay because he likes the winters.

Ryan Diesel
07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah I think he's going to come in as an advisor at first and maybe or maybe not that will evolve into something else. There's no way he just moved here for fun. Maybe he has the itch too.

twelvePack
07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah I think he's going to come in as an advisor at first and maybe or maybe not that will evolve into something else. There's no way he just moved here for fun. Maybe he has the itch too.

Hahahaaa, well it seems strange that he decided to move right in the middle of all of this. Coincidental timing, hmmmm, I doubt it. Well TT will have all kinds of time to vacation, and to spend time with his boyfriend.

WickedBadMan
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Can't wait to watch this. Management is so ****ing stupid. He made the Packers. Back-up? **** them. At least have the decency to LET HIM GO. I wouldn't even want to play for them at this point unless TT was fired.

Urbs
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Man I really cant take this anymore.. I need Favre back, at first I thought Brett was putting us in a bad spot, atleast from the management POV. But the more it drags on and the more serious I see Favre is, the more I want him back. He is a top top teer QB in a league where there are only 3 of them.. HE NEEDS TO PLAY THIS YEAR, THOMPSON HAS TO BE FIRED!!!

I was reading the comments about Wolf moving back........ I really hope you are right about that. Maybe thats why the board stepped in and intervened John Jones becoming the Pres. because TT and JJ would have destroyed the Packers.. Maybe the board will wise up from this situation and get rid of TT now. That guy is straight up evil and is really trying to stick it Favre, and now Brett is FINALLY going to tell everyone what a dick Thompson really is. He is just a bad guy.

Ryan Diesel
07-14-2008, 06:52 PM
I've always thought they fired John Jones because he wasn't down with the forcing Favre out plan laid out by TT and Bob Harlen.

twelvePack
07-14-2008, 06:57 PM
I've always thought they fired John Jones because he wasn't down with the forcing Favre out plan laid out by TT and Bob Harlen.

Yeah, I'm not sure what went on with Jones. It was a weird situation though, nothing was ever said, so I'm guessing Jones had some dirt on Harlan and TT and vice versa. They sure bragged up Jones though, and then poof he was fired. Remember it all happened right around the Moss thing too. I heard speculation that Jones wanted Reggie Mckenzie as the GM, and didn't want to be associated with what TT was doing to Favre. Who knows though.

Pack1997
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I just have a couple of points to discuss.

1. When Brett announced in retirement in March, the picture they showed on packers.com was of Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy smiling at a table together. I was pissed at that picture. Maybe they weren't smiling much during that press conference and were just caught in that moment, but I couldn't help thinking TT was happier than a pig in S**T.

2. I heard in interviews of both Peter King of SI and Adam Schefter of NFLN that Favre wants his release and the ViQueens are the team he would like to go to. Brett Favre will be dead to me if he plays for the Queens. All those years here, he knows how Packer fans feel about them. To me, if he plays with them, he never gave a rats *** about GB fans. He can go anywhere else and I wish him luck (except maybe the Bears).

3. If TT allows him to go the Queens by releasing him or making the trade, he has just handed them the NFC North and probably a Super Bowl trip. All because he has moved in a different direction. Who the hell is Aaron Rodgers? I like he kid, but can you imagine Favre torching us in Lambeau the first game of the year on Monday night, while we are retiring his number and he is wearing that faggy purple uniform. ARod will probably break his foot before halftime.

There I have vented, but I am really going to be sick he goes to Minnesota :moon::puke:

otownpack
07-14-2008, 10:41 PM
did anyone else watch the interview because i did and i got sick to my stomach, seems to me that the pack kinda used the situation to push him out the door. this is a bs, i understand what they mean by the want to build for the future if he walks out the door but its not like ted is breaking the back or really doing anything to make it easy for arod to come in and win so screw that idea. ted wants to be known as the guy who built a power house but instead he's screwing over everyones boy, and for all you no one player is bigger than the org, that maybe ture but at some point you have to look at the guys who got you there and let them leave when they want to and do anything you can for them he didnt walk away he was giving only one door and he took it. this is wrong on so many level and you all know it

iam brett favre
07-14-2008, 10:59 PM
He seemed really bitter towards the Packers.. not sure whats going to happen.

Ryan Diesel
07-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Wow, I can't believe what I just saw. It was like a bad dream or something. Dude still wants to be our QB, he admitted he retired early, but they've always made too big of a deal about that forcing his decision. We're lucky he didn't retire a couple years ago when his family was dying. We have to let him come back, who else tells the best qb on their team, let alone the best QB ever that you can't play?? Favre has spoken, pretty much confirmed everything that I've been saying for the last few years. Your move Ted Thompson. Time to squash this garbage and do the right thing.

divine7
07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I know the answer to all this TT gets on his knees and shows Brett how much he wants him back in GB.

Honestly, with everything aside, TT loses in this UNLESS he brings brett back.

1- Brett is released and plays par+..... ARod starts and does anything less then carry us to playoffs and its TT's fault....
2- Brett plays and starts every game... play doesn't matter... Arod starts 1-5 games and has a season ending/nagging injuries, regardless of Brohm's/Vet impact... It's TT's fault.
3- Best case..... Brett goes somewhere and sucks.... Arod leads GB to superbowl win....

Which of the three seems most unlikely?

My point is unless Arod is Steve Young, or around that range, TT will be thrown under the bus.

Let me also add the fact if you ignore the crazy year the Pats had... You consider Brett the MVP for last year... or even top 3... Lets look in another support for similiar angle... The year ends in NBA and Tim Duncan says he can't do this anymore and retires. August comes around and says he has the itch and can do this at the same level. Do you think anyway in hell the Spurs say no or ask him to be a back up? I know its a bit a bad of a comparison cuz basketball has extended bench play etc... But the general idea is there. You take the best chance to WIN NOW! I don't see how bringing brett back this year hurts our future? The only guy it might hurt/effect is Arod.... Well, he'll have his day... he can demand a trade if he gets hurt by this, we always have Brohm.

Packer92
07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I think several of the veteran players like DD, Barnett, AL Harris, Clifton and Tausher need to get together and see if they can mediate the whole deal. I did not get to see the interview..did Favre comment on his flip flop before the owners meeting?

newdude
07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Do they have a video or transcript online? I couldn't make it in time.

twelvePack
07-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Part Two is on tomorrow night.

JHG722
07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I have nothing but respect for the Packers organization, and used to have the utmost respect for Favre, but boy is he a douchebag...:pity:

servais77
07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I think Brett Favre wants to play still.

XJW18
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
heres the link

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html

JHG722
07-15-2008, 12:17 AM
heres the link

Xavier avy?

newdude
07-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I have nothing but respect for the Packers organization, and used to have the utmost respect for Favre, but boy is he a douchebag...:pity:

How is he a douchebag? Do u even understand the whole situation?

heres the link

Thanks man:D

JHG722
07-15-2008, 12:39 AM
How is he a douchebag? Do u even understand the whole situation?

Thanks man:D

I have ESPN on 24 hours a day, and watch every SportSCenter repeat, but maybe I missed something. Enlighten me.

Brunner
07-15-2008, 12:49 AM
This proves to me that TT is worthless and MM has lost my respect. They gave a legend a time line, and didn't give him the time he needed to make a proper decision. I was saying, "Favre should have waited until training camp to make a decision." This proves that he wanted to. Screw TT! We pushed out a freaking legend to move on with a QB that hasn't proven CRAP! I can't believe this is freaking happening!

newdude
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM
I have ESPN on 24 hours a day, and watch every SportSCenter repeat, but maybe I missed something. Enlighten me.

Ur original quote:
"I have nothing but respect for the Packers organization, and used to have the utmost respect for Favre, but boy is he a douchebag..."

U say u watch alot of ESPN and they give u insights to form ur own opinion? ESPN don't know about everything that goes on, the only ones who knows the whole story is TT and Favre, and possibly MM. Besides, even if ur a knowledgeable football fan, ur not even a Packers fan (Eagles fan from ur sig?), u don't follow the details of the Pack, like I can't assume to know everything about the Eagles. So calling someone a douchebag w/o knowing everything(even if u follow ESPN's word) is very commendable:rolleyes:

Besides, the man just wants to play while he still can, how is that wrong?

24/7 ESPN? sheesh:p :D

JHG722
07-15-2008, 01:09 AM
So pretty much I'm wrong in that the guy shouldn't be commended for continuing his charade of retiring and unretiring?

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Well say whatever you wan't, but TT is a the ****ing douche bag. Who does he think he is? Seriously, he is going to tell Favre that his career is done in the NFL??? It might be done with the Packers, but that little silver-headed, homosexual TT shouldn't have a say if Favre wants to keep playing football. I knew there was a bunch of dirty crap going on behind the scenes. I hope Murphy has already hired Wolf for the GM position. Buh Bye Ted, maybe you can get a job in San Francisco, I'm sure you will enjoy the "culture" there.

newdude
07-15-2008, 01:21 AM
So pretty much I'm wrong in that the guy shouldn't be commended for continuing his charade of retiring and unretiring?

Dude, ur staring at it on the cover only. He retired ONCE, for 3 months and its not even training camp yet!!! Like he said in the interview, the only ppl that understands how he feels r the ones that's going through the contemplating retirement phase. He said its a mistake to retire early, yes thats his fault, but was that so horrible that ppl r pissed at him for making a mistake that's really blown out of proportion.

He is physically able to play at this age, not many football players had that. All those greats like Jerry Rice would've continued to play, past when they retired, if they r able to, but they couldn't. So whats the big deal?

JHG722
07-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Dude, ur staring at it on the cover only. He retired ONCE, for 3 months and its not even training camp yet!!! Like he said in the interview, the only ppl that understands how he feels r the ones that's going through the contemplating retirement phase. He said its a mistake to retire early, yes thats his fault, but was that so horrible that ppl r pissed at him for making a mistake that's really blown out of proportion.

He is physically able to play at this age, not many football players had that. All those greats like Jerry Rice would've continued to play if they r able to, but they couldn't. So whats the big deal?

Well it obviously impacted the organization, if they drafted Brohm as insurance...

newdude
07-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Well it obviously impacted the organization, if they drafted Brohm as insurance...

Theres's my point when I said ppl blown his retirement out of proportion. He retired early then when he wanted bcuz they were rushing him. At least he respected them to make a decision in March, even though he didn't feel it, so they could prepare by drafting 2 more QBs to groom. He didn't dissed them and dragged it on and he certainly didn't do what Ricky Williams did and unexpectedly retired (right b4 training camp!!!) and gave the Dolphins no time to prepare.

If they don't need him, let him go (which I'll be sad:cry:), but if they still want him as a starter (:pray:), then welcome him back and don't drag this any further.

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 01:33 AM
I can't wait to see what TT is going to have to say about this, haha.

newdude
07-15-2008, 01:39 AM
^Me too, we heard from Favre and he said TT is telling ppl half-truths. So what is TT gonna do?

JHG722
07-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Theres's my point when I said ppl blown his retirement out of proportion. He retired early then when he wanted bcuz they were rushing him. At least he respected them to make a decision in March, even though he didn't feel it, so they could prepare by drafting 2 more QBs to groom. He didn't dissed them and dragged it on and he certainly didn't do what Ricky Williams did and unexpectedly retired (right b4 training camp!!!) and gave the Dolphins no time to prepare.

If they don't need him, let him go (which I'll be sad:cry:), but if they still want him as a starter (:pray:), then welcome him back and don't drag this any further.

But my point is, they had Rodgers, and drafted Brohm. They wouldn'tve drafted Brohm if they felt Favre was still their QB....

Ryan Diesel
07-15-2008, 01:41 AM
He'll probably just try to drag Favre through the mud some more and try to turn even more fans against him. Favre admitted he made a mistake. It's time for TT to step up and admit he didn't handle this situation very well either. Ron Wolf needs to step in and mediate this thing. Rodgers needs to be a man and step down, he's hurting our team. This entire situation is becauase of Aaron Rodgers. He is not the best option at QB for us next year, he needs to step up and step down. He'll gain every Packer fan's respect for a classy move like that.

JHG722
07-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Favre is ****ing the guy's career up. He has every right to be mad...

wissportsfan
07-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Favre retired. That should be the end of his legacy. You can't expect after the draft and all to come back and say I want to play now. The Packers have moved on and should move on.

JHG722
07-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Favre retired. That should be the end of his legacy. You can't expect after the draft and all to come back and say I want to play now. The Packers have moved on and should move on.

Ex-****ing-actly :clap:

newdude
07-15-2008, 01:49 AM
But my point is, they had Rodgers, and drafted Brohm. They wouldn'tve drafted Brohm if they felt Favre was still their QB....

Then why is Favre a douchebag then? Just bcuz they drafted Brohm(who is pretty talented and was a steal, btw)? Favre said he felt unwanted and was rushed for a decision when he was mentally tired, so he had to choose retirement.

BTW, getting Brohm is not a bad thing, even if Favre chose to not retire in the first place. Ppl r going on about how Rodgers is the future, but what IF he's not good. So getting a highly praised QB, that would've went in the 1st round if he went in the previous draft, just in case our future is not as foolproof as some thought it was.

newdude
07-15-2008, 01:51 AM

Ok they moved on right? Even if this pains me to say, if they don't need him, at least show the courtesy to release him so he can decide his own fate.

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 01:52 AM

Yeah, well maybe they should let Favre move on too then.

wissportsfan
07-15-2008, 02:29 AM
There would be no point in releasing him. The Packers are going to do whats best for the team. Right now the Packers have moved on. Could he help some other team win game? Yes. That is the exact reason why we don't want to release him. Last the Packers knew he said he retired and once he said that and after things started with FA/draft they moved in another direction. They can't just switch gears that wouldn't be fair to Rodgers. Favre either plays for the Packers or no other team and it looks like the Packers aren't an option unless he wants to be a backup.

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 02:42 AM
There would be no point in releasing him. The Packers are going to do whats best for the team. Right now the Packers have moved on. Could he help some other team win game? Yes. That is the exact reason why we don't want to release him. Last the Packers knew he said he retired and once he said that and after things started with FA/draft they moved in another direction. They can't just switch gears that wouldn't be fair to Rodgers. Favre either plays for the Packers or no other team and it looks like the Packers aren't an option unless he wants to be a backup.

Well I have lost all respect for you. Favre wants to play football, and you would be for telling him he can't play anymore???? After all he has given to the Packers and the NFL???? I have a hard time believing Rodgers should be the man, but if he is then the Packers owe Favre his release.

newdude
07-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Wissportsfan, its RESPECT. If they don't think he is a fit to this team anymore, then just let him go. With that attitude, u r strangling Favre into a permanent retirement and its not really his choice is it? And don't bring the "he already retired" argument, athletes change their minds (like we all do in real life), they have the right to choose.

twelvePack
07-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Wissportsfan, its RESPECT. If they don't think he is a fit to this team anymore, then just let him go. With that attitude, u r strangling Favre into a permanent retirement and its not really his choice is it? And don't bring the "he already retired" argument, athletes change their minds (like we all do in real life), they have the right to choose.

Favre technically didn't fill out his retirment papers either. It's people like Wiss that I would like to be sitting along side of, and have them say something so ignorant.

Ryan Diesel
07-15-2008, 03:04 AM
All I know is I heard Favre say he made a mistake and that he was wrong. I haven't heard TT accept any responsibility in this whole thing and it's embarrassing. If you got a guy like Favre that want's to play for you, then you embrace it. There is about at least 28 other GM's that would give up their left nuts to have a problem like this. Bear fans have to be puking their guts out. They can't get one decent QB in over 20 years, and we're just trying to blackball the greatest player in our franchise history like he's Barry Bond's or something.

XJW18
07-15-2008, 04:36 AM
Xavier avy?

WHAT???

JHG722
07-15-2008, 04:43 AM
WHAT???

What's the 'X' in your avatar stand for?

Favre Support
07-15-2008, 05:37 AM

Two possibilities:

1) It is 100% true what Brett said in the interview today.

He is not blaming GB to go on without him. He said that more then once. He is asking for the right to play "his" game. If not in GB, then somewhere else. Nothing wrong with this.

2) It is not 100% true, and things were different back in March.

Same as above. Except that then some people in GB might see they have the right to say: "You left, so we had to do this and this, so we can only trade you to a team that is not in our division." I still do not see that, but can understand if they have this on their mind.

/

In any way as said by many before: We are talking abt. Brett Favre, not abt. a 20 year old schoolboy with nothing proven yet. The respect he has earned over the years by doing what he did for GB should be paid back to him. Understand TT and MM do not like what they face, but the answer to it is anything except "You can come back as a backup QB."

Release him , or put him back into his place, but do not fool around with things like "He has a value for the GB Packers!" He has paid back any value that you could think of so many times that the management should be ashamed of even thinking they could push him into staying retired.

My poersonal view? I would love to see him in Green Bay again with No. 4 behind the offensive line. But if that is no option, release him. If even he goes to Minnesota or Chicago, my respect will be with him for what he did so far, and I will still stay a Favre supporter. I like him, as he likes the game!

Brooke
07-15-2008, 07:48 AM
this backs up my feelings on TT, he is a douchebag

the man wants to play, and they can't stop from him doing that. It is his life and his decision. Telling him he can be a backup just completely disgusted me as a Packer fan. The Packer organization has lost my respect

gbpack
07-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Favre technically didn't fill out his retirment papers either. It's people like Wiss that I would like to be sitting along side of, and have them say something so ignorant.

Favre did fill out his retirement papers and he filed them with the NFL - he is required to petition the NFL for reinstatement.

gbpack
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Telling him he can be a backup just completely disgusted me as a Packer fan. The Packer organization has lost my respect

No one in the Packer organization has ever been quoted saying Favre can come back as a the back up - they have said "undetermined" and he can compete for the starters job - which he would win.

The Packers also have told Favre if he wants to play - Show up - which he has not done.

Packer92
07-15-2008, 09:15 AM
No one in the Packer organization has ever been quoted saying Favre can come back as a the back up - they have said "undetermined" and he can compete for the starters job - which he would win.

The Packers also have told Favre if he wants to play - Show up - which he has not done.

I think full open competition is the only fair way to handle the situation for both AR and Favre. Favre should win the battle. If he doesn't Farve will probably retire. We do need someone to mediate the whole situation. Wolf would be a good choice. All I know is that I want what is best for the team, which would be open compitition. Rodgers has done nothing to be awarded the starting job, but deserves the chance to win it. Or trade one of out QBs for a decent DT. Question: How many more years left on Rodger's contract?

Ryan Diesel
07-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Favre never did file his paperwork with the league to retire. Also maybe nobody was quoted as saying that, but they told him to his face that he wouldn't be the starter, so I think that pretty much counts.

WickedBadMan
07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
It's strange how the misconception that he can compete for the starting job continues to float around.

newdude
07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Favre did fill out his retirement papers and he filed them with the NFL - he is required to petition the NFL for reinstatement.

He never actually signed any papers, he is just on the reserved/retirement list, so he's not "officially" retired yet.

Favre said it himself in the interview they wanted him as a backup...

Chrisman04
07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
There would be no point in releasing him. The Packers are going to do whats best for the team. Right now the Packers have moved on. Could he help some other team win game? Yes. That is the exact reason why we don't want to release him. Last the Packers knew he said he retired and once he said that and after things started with FA/draft they moved in another direction.

They can't just switch gears that wouldn't be fair to Rodgers.

Favre either plays for the Packers or no other team and it looks like the Packers aren't an option unless he wants to be a backup.

Not be fair to Aaron what are you some kinda baby? :cry: Life is not fair and to be paid millions of dollars a year to be affliliated with the Packers and not start a single game in 3 years.....please. Its not fair to Aaron he waited his turn :cry:

I want to see Brett in GB starting because he gives us the best chance to win. If not release the guy and let him play his career out elsewhere. The only reputation TT doesn't want to tarnish is his own. This will all be forgotten when we go deep into the playoffs this year and Rodgers is in Miami or Tampa throwing picks....or hurt as usual.

wissportsfan
07-16-2008, 02:18 AM

You can't expect to say I retire and then still have your spot on the roster still there after everything has taken place with FA/draft and basically the whole offseason. I realize we all change our minds but the fact is he changed his mind to much and if he wanted to be here he would have stayed with it.

March 23rd Favre told TT and MM that he wanted to play which was 20 days after his retirement speech. Both TT and MM said fine we'll set things up, you and Dianna come down here and we'll announce it. Then Favre called them back sometime soon after (early April I believe) and said me and Dianna talked it over and I'm sticking to my origanal decision. Early July Favre told the offensive line coach that he really felt like he wanted to play again. It got relayed back to TT and MM and they said no because they already moved on. If Favre wanted to come back he had his chance late March-early April.

wissportsfan
07-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Not be fair to Aaron what are you some kinda baby? :cry: Life is not fair and to be paid millions of dollars a year to be affliliated with the Packers and not start a single game in 3 years.....please. Its not fair to Aaron he waited his turn :cry:

I want to see Brett in GB starting because he gives us the best chance to win. If not release the guy and let him play his career out elsewhere. The only reputation TT doesn't want to tarnish is his own. This will all be forgotten when we go deep into the playoffs this year and Rodgers is in Miami or Tampa throwing picks....or hurt as usual.

No it's not fair to A-rod and thats why he's pissed about it. If I was in his shoes I would be too. He's been keeping his mouth shut for 3 years because it was Favre's show rightfully so. Favre retires, TT and MM tell him he's the starter now. Favre is basically jerking the organization around. If A-rod doesn't start this year he is gone after this year and we will be left with a guy that has little to no time to study the playbook.

Ryan Diesel
07-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Where would A-Rod go?? He's under contract this year and next. If anyone wants him after that, they have to give us a 1st and a 3rd rounder.

XJW18
07-16-2008, 03:33 AM
What's the 'X' in your avatar stand for?

its sappose to be for the Xavier Muskateers.
But my name is Xavier and everyone Calls me X

thats y i put it as my Aatar thingy!

X

newdude
07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
You can't expect to say I retire and then still have your spot on the roster still there after everything has taken place with FA/draft and basically the whole offseason. I realize we all change our minds but the fact is he changed his mind to much and if he wanted to be here he would have stayed with it.

March 23rd Favre told TT and MM that he wanted to play which was 20 days after his retirement speech. Both TT and MM said fine we'll set things up, you and Dianna come down here and we'll announce it. Then Favre called them back sometime soon after (early April I believe) and said me and Dianna talked it over and I'm sticking to my origanal decision. Early July Favre told the offensive line coach that he really felt like he wanted to play again. It got relayed back to TT and MM and they said no because they already moved on. If Favre wanted to come back he had his chance late March-early April.

Ppl r over-reacting to his flip-flopping. Yes, he made that mistake, but it brought no harm to the organization. They wanted to move on and they did that by with what they did in draft.

Yes, Favre wanted to be a starter again for us, but he understands that the Pack has "moved on." He RESPECTS that and thats why he wants to be released.

For everything he has done for the city, and u know as well as I do that it is not only football related, we should at least RESPECT him enough to let him make his own decision.

Ur probably going to use ur argument "TT is going to do whats best for the Pack and won't let Favre help another team win." OK, I understand that, but if TT is confident enough in the team he "put" together and is confident in starting Rodgers over a Sure HOFamer, then why is he scared to let Favre on another team.

Again, even if its hard seeing him on another team, it all boils down to RESPECT. I think for 16 seasons he earned at least that much from us fans and the Pack. The man just wants to play.

Favre Support
07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Ppl r over-reacting to his flip-flopping. Yes, he made that mistake, but it brought no harm to the organization. They wanted to move on and they did that by with what they did in draft.

Yes, Favre wanted to be a starter again for us, but he understands that the Pack has "moved on." He RESPECTS that and thats why he wants to be released.

For everything he has done for the city, and u know as well as I do that it is not only football related, we should at least RESPECT him enough to let him make his own decision.

Ur probably going to use ur argument "TT is going to do whats best for the Pack and won't let Favre help another team win." OK, I understand that, but if TT is confident enough in the team he "put" together and is confident in starting Rodgers over a Sure HOFamer, then why is he scared to let Favre on another team.

Again, even if its hard seeing him on another team, it all boils down to RESPECT. I think for 16 seasons he earned at least that much from us fans and the Pack. The man just wants to play.

:worthy:

This is all it is about. Wishing there would be a way for him in Green No.4, there is still no hate if he throws an "underhand decission maker" in another jersey next season.

Maybe the second part of the interview was not best choice from BF side, but he needs to rush things from his angle. Or he will end up with no team, and after all, that should not be the case if he really wants to play.

wissportsfan
07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Where would A-Rod go?? He's under contract this year and next. If anyone wants him after that, they have to give us a 1st and a 3rd rounder.

So do you honestly think that if Rodgers does well the next season that he will re-sign with us. I think he would be sick of this bull**** in GB and move on to another team like TB.

wissportsfan
07-16-2008, 02:17 PM

I understand that your sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again but those are the facts. I hate being a broken record but Favre had his chance. He would've felt welcome if he stayed with his original decision. I just hate it how Brett's making a big deal about the Packers not showing him any love after we told him before that we would've accepted him back before he flip-flopped again.

Favre can talk to any team he wants right now. If he wanted to he could tell GB that he wants to go to this team or that team and we could trade him there. He doesn't need to be released. TT has been known for not giving a **** what the fans want. That is why I see him doing nothing here. Even though a lot of fans will get on him for that (12, diesel, etc.) it's just that he doesn't give a **** what the fans think. If its helping out the team then go for it.

Ryan Diesel
07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
So do you honestly think that if Rodgers does well the next season that he will re-sign with us. I think he would be sick of this bull**** in GB and move on to another team like TB.

He doesn't have a choice, he's under contract next year, and he'll be a restricted FA the year after that. If anyone signs him they have to cough up a 1st and a 3rd round picks. He's not going anywhere anytime soon unless we cut or trade him.

Ryan Diesel
07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Steve Young didn't get his chance until his 7th year in the league, after spending time in the USFL. Rodger's needs to step down. We're not as good of a team in 08 with him. He needs to do whatever makes the team better. This whole controversy is because of Rodgers, and it's not his fault. But he needs to step up and do what's best for the team.

newdude
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I understand that your sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again but those are the facts. I hate being a broken record but Favre had his chance. He would've felt welcome if he stayed with his original decision. I just hate it how Brett's making a big deal about the Packers not showing him any love after we told him before that we would've accepted him back before he flip-flopped again.

Favre can talk to any team he wants right now. If he wanted to he could tell GB that he wants to go to this team or that team and we could trade him there. He doesn't need to be released. TT has been known for not giving a **** what the fans want. That is why I see him doing nothing here. Even though a lot of fans will get on him for that (12, diesel, etc.) it's just that he doesn't give a **** what the fans think. If its helping out the team then go for it.

Whatever man, we can talk or argue all we want, but both sides keep bringing up the same stuff over and over again, unless some breaking news appear, and no one is backing down.
All we can do is just wait to see what happens in the next few weeks, man this offseason sucks.

twelvePack
07-16-2008, 04:06 PM

You're missing the whole point, and obviously didn't watch the interview, or at least hear any of what was said. I'm pissed at TT, and ever other fan should be too. If he doesn't want Favre back, so be it, but he doesn't have the right to take the game away from him. As far as I'm concerned TT makes me want to puke right now, and I really don't give a **** what he has done or is going to do for the team. I want him gone. I hope Murphy moves Mckenzie into the job, or brings Wolf out of retirement.

socalpkrbkr
07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
OK, I will say this. Brett has not earned the right to decide after all of this mess where he gets to play. He signed his contract and retired. We know all the details from then until now. Now he wants his release to play else where. Negative, were not going to let him hurt the Packers by signing with a division opponent or a team that may hurt us and our playoff chances. He has to understand that this is a business first. If he wants to play he will show up to camp. Then whatever decision needs to made will be made at that time. Really nothing to discuss until he shows up.

Ryan Diesel
07-16-2008, 04:20 PM

No, thats not true. Didn't you watch the interview?? No team is allowed to have any contact with Brett Favre or his agent having anything to do with Brett Favre. He's still a member of the Packers, so they have to talk to Thompson if they have any inquiries about Favre.

wissportsfan
07-17-2008, 12:00 AM
No, thats not true. Didn't you watch the interview?? No team is allowed to have any contact with Brett Favre or his agent having anything to do with Brett Favre. He's still a member of the Packers, so they have to talk to Thompson if they have any inquiries about Favre.

Yeah and then all of a sudden we accuse the Vikings of talking to Favre. We all know why Favre wants to be released now so he can go play with the Viks. TT is not going to let that happen and he shouldn't. I'm guessing you guys still think he should be released.

socalpkrbkr
07-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah and then all of a sudden we accuse the Vikings of talking to Favre. We all know why Favre wants to be released now so he can go play with the Viks. TT is not going to let that happen and he shouldn't. I'm guessing you guys still think he should be released.

Who's "you guys?"

twelvePack
07-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Who's "you guys?"

He doesn't know, but his dad told him so.

wissportsfan
07-17-2008, 01:20 AM
He doesn't know, but his dad told him so.

What the **** are you talking about?

You guys pertains to 12 and diesel mostly.

Ryan Diesel
07-17-2008, 02:40 AM
I have never once in my life said the Packers should release Brett Favre, what in the world are you talking about??? Not once ever in my entire life have I said anything even remotely close to that. Don't ever include me in some bogus crazy talk like that again. Releasing Favre is the worst thing the Packers could do, the absolute worst option. Making him a backup is the second worst, trading him is the third worst. Welcoming him back is the only answer. This has gone on way too long and it's got way too far out of hand. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong anymore, it's time to work on fixing this mess.

gbaypack31
07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Favre has 2 options.
1. get reinstated and report to camp.
2. Retire

The packers have given him those options. The ball's in his court.

Skywatcher
07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Favre has 2 options.
1. get reinstated and report to camp.
2. Retire

The packers have given him those options. The ball's in his court.

I thought another option they gave him was to give them a list of teams he'd accept being traded to.

Still in his court though.

twelvePack
07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I thought another option they gave him was to give them a list of teams he'd accept being traded to.

Still in his court though.

Well with his clause in his contract, he can turn down trades to teams he doesn't want to play for. TT can trade him to Miami, and Favre can say, "Nope," just like TO did to with Baltimore. Favre will end up where he wants with that clause. I think that is the problem with this, TT might as well release him as to trade him, and he doesn't want to do that. It only leaves one option then, bring him back to Green Bay.

Skywatcher
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Well with his clause in his contract, he can turn down trades to teams he doesn't want to play for. TT can trade him to Miami, and Favre can say, "Nope," just like TO did to with Baltimore. Favre will end up where he wants with that clause. I think that is the problem with this, TT might as well release him as to trade him, and he doesn't want to do that. It only leaves one option then, bring him back to Green Bay.

No. I don't believe that's the only option. Other options are:

1) for Favre to give them a list of teams he'd be willing to play for. Any team in the NFC North, (and possibly the whole NFC) won't be acceptable to Green Bay and they'd refuse to make a trade. Favre doesn't want to do this because he doesn't trust them to actually pursue a trade.

2) The Packers give Favre a list of teams that he and his agent have approval to try to arrange a trade with. If there are any teams on the list that Favre would be willing to go to he could try to work out a deal.

The Packers have the incentive of putting the mess behind them (to whatever extent that's possible) and get at least some compensation out of Favre going elsewhere. Like most any divorce, its a bad situation for all involved. Nothing will change that at this point. You can't unfry an egg. Sometimes you just have to move on though.

The situation is still fluid, but I'm not sensing public opinion moving in Favre's direction. As things sit right now, I think the powers that be will just let the status quo exist as the better alternative to releasing him or bringing him back. The more days that go by, the more foolish they'd look bringing him back. On top of whatever criticism they're currently receiving, they'd be adding criticism for not bringing him back right away if they ultimately change their minds and say he'd be coming back as the starter.

Given that, if Favre actually wants to play somewhere this year, even if it isn't as a Packer, his best option may be to actively work with the team to find some way of arranging an acceptable trade.

twelvePack
07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
No. I don't believe that's the only option. Other options are:

1) for Favre to give them a list of teams he'd be willing to play for. Any team in the NFC North, (and possibly the whole NFC) won't be acceptable to Green Bay and they'd refuse to make a trade. Favre doesn't want to do this because he doesn't trust them to actually pursue a trade.

2) The Packers give Favre a list of teams that he and his agent have approval to try to arrange a trade with. If there are any teams on the list that Favre would be willing to go to he could try to work out a deal.

The Packers have the incentive of putting the mess behind them (to whatever extent that's possible) and get at least some compensation out of Favre going elsewhere. Like most any divorce, its a bad situation for all involved. Nothing will change that at this point. You can't unfry an egg. Sometimes you just have to move on though.

The situation is still fluid, but I'm not sensing public opinion moving in Favre's direction. As things sit right now, I think the powers that be will just let the status quo exist as the better alternative to releasing him or bringing him back. The more days that go by, the more foolish they'd look bringing him back. On top of whatever criticism they're currently receiving, they'd be adding criticism for not bringing him back right away if they ultimately change their minds and say he'd be coming back as the starter.

Given that, if Favre actually wants to play somewhere this year, even if it isn't as a Packer, his best option may be to actively work with the team to find some way of arranging an acceptable trade.

I don't think that is going to work. Favre has that clause in his contract, and him and Cook can pretty much dictate where ever he wants to play anyway. I hate to compare this to the T.O. situation, but it really is the same kind of deal, as far as the trade leverage goes.

Skywatcher
07-17-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't think that is going to work. Favre has that clause in his contract, and him and Cook can pretty much dictate where ever he wants to play anyway. I hate to compare this to the T.O. situation, but it really is the same kind of deal, as far as the trade leverage goes.

Short of an outright release, Favre and Cook aren't in a position to dictate that's he's going to play for the Vikings this year. That's why the Packers would never do that. He'd go to a rival and the Packers wouldn't even get a twenty left on the dresser in the morning out of the deal.

Favre and the team each have equal and absolute power to dictate where he WON'T play. If the Packers say he won't play for them as their starter this year and his only position will be to polish Rodgers' helmet, Favre can't do much about it short of swinging public opinion toward forcing the team to change their minds.... or simply staying in retirement.

If the team says he won't play for the Packers or the Vikings or the Bears, he will not play there as long as he's under contract.

If Favre says he won't play for Miami or Atlanta, he won't show up there and there would be no trade.

However, if the team and Favre BOTH say that the Jets (for example) would be acceptable, they could try to reach an agreement between Favre, the Jets, and the Packers that all three can live with.