PDA

View Full Version : The beach balls?

CAIN=FUTURE
07-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Whats up with that? If theres one thing that I hate the most about dodger fans its the beach balls? They are so anoying, they throw off your own pitchers! Why oh why the beach balls? Is there something symbolic about them?

Im sure non of you do the beach ball thing, right?

southerndodgerf
07-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Some of us are annoyed by the beach balls too. But, they are a part of the LA Dodger exp. I think it says fun in the sun. Would you prefer we throw blown up syringes...wait nm.

lynchgagne
07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Whats up with that? If theres one thing that I hate the most about dodger fans its the beach balls? They are so anoying, they throw off your own pitchers! Why oh why the beach balls? Is there something symbolic about them?

who ever said that?

BlueMouse
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Wait ... doesn't everyone do the beach ball thing?

CAIN=FUTURE
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
who ever said that?

It can ruin a pitchers ryhtem, and they throw them on whil the dodgers are on D.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Some of us are annoyed by the beach balls too. But, they are a part of the LA Dodger exp. I think it says fun in the sun. Would you prefer we throw blown up syringes...wait nm.

So the sryinge thing! That would make the game more interesting.

nme
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Is there a point to this?

Atticus Finch
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Every dodger game I have been to I have seen numerous beach balls. Its part of the experience, and they arent ruining anyone's day, so let em stay.

BlueMouse
07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Is there a point to this?

I think the point is we should only hit beachballs around when we are batting. Either that or we should throw batteries at the opposing team instead.

The 6-4-3
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
its funny seeing all the old people get pissed off looking at the kids who hit them with the pissed off face.

beach balls aren't a big deal its fun to hit it when comes close to you sometimes that it.
ya im sure its a bit distracting to players, but not as nearly as 50,000 fans screaming and cheering

310Casper
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
It's much better than having a stadium built within a theme park (see: SBC Theme Park), with giant coke bottles in left field, carnival games, canoe rentals out in right field, etc..etc...

And the beach ball thing is also a ploy from Frank McCourt himself. He actually begins the beach ball thing at each home game by blowing the ball up himself, then throwing it into the stands from his suite. He tends to start this at the bottom of the 1st inning, it's all to keep the fans busy and distracted from watching that pathetic thing we have out there we call an "offense". Hey, it's worked for years, why fix something that isn't broken? Fans still continue to fill seats at the ravine while our offense continues to put up pathetic #'s.

vader
07-14-2008, 05:20 PM
It's much better than having a stadium built within a theme park (see: SBC Theme Park), with giant coke bottles in left field, carnival games, canoe rentals out in right field, etc..etc...

And the beach ball thing is also a ploy from Frank McCourt himself. He actually begins the beach ball thing at each home game by blowing the ball up himself, then throwing it into the stands from his suite. He tends to start this at the bottom of the 1st inning, it's all to keep the fans busy and distracted from watching that pathetic thing we have out there we call an "offense". Hey, it's worked for years, why fix something that isn't broken? Fans still continue to fill seats at the ravine while our offense continues to put up pathetic #'s.

you're joking right? maybe i missed the sarcasm. but i've seen security eject fans it they're caught blowing up a beach ball. and security/ushers are always playing monkey with the fans to catch the ball once in play only to deflate them. that's actually the best part... watching the ushers trying to catch it. then the get booed like crazy. and it's always fun to see a kid slap one right into another fans face.

4everblue
07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, that's a clear difference between Dodgers fans and Giants fans... Giants fans sure have no balls...

THINKBLUE15
07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I may be a minority here, but a hate the beach ball thing. And I'm not an old man. People need to watch the ****en game. I hate people who get the greatest seats in the galaxy, and don't know a lick about baseball, and are hitting that beach ball. And the Wave is stupid too. Yea, I might do it if we are winning, and I am in a good mood, but when we are losing, I can't even move. I just sit there like a zombie. Real fans shouldn't be able to do the wave when the Dodgers are losing. How can you be happy when the Dodgers are losing? Beats me.

THINKBLUE15
07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Some fans give us a real bad reputation, and it sucks. But at the end of the day, we bring in more fans than about 30 other teams. It is LA I guess. What can you do?

bigboyblu
07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Im a little annoyed by it myself but you have to have it my cousins 8, 10, and 11yrs old used to love it and that is part of what drew them to the game and now as theyve gotten older they have started knowing and learning about the game and are surprising me with their baseball knowledge so is it annoying for more focused fans yes but anything that draws younger baseball fans to the game is ok with me.

Tymathee
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, that's a clear difference between Dodgers fans and Giants fans... Giants fans sure have no balls...

lmao no balls...

I love the beach ball thing, it's funny personally...if they were truly concerned they'd make sure no one brought them in, they check everything else anyway right?

dodgerdave
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Blame it on the 99 Cents Only Stores.

LAdiablo
07-14-2008, 06:32 PM

:clap::D

LA-RaiderKidd
07-14-2008, 06:39 PM
honestly, the beach ball thing is just part of who we are out here. just a part of the LA culture......ive ben going to dodger games my entire life and it just wouldnt seem right if i didnt see at least 5 beach balls flying around......TV viewers have their commercials or they can change the channel during the commercials, so we get to enjoy our beach balls.....i just graduated from high school last month and we had about 10 beach balls fly around throughout the ceremony...haha its just the dodger way out here :smoking:

Mydinsky
07-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I actually love the beach balls. Baseball games are such that you don't have to pay close attention the entire time. The lulls, especially throughout the 4th-6th innings, are usually a great time to talk with friends. The beach balls are a nice L.A. touch that adds even more variety to the game.

The best, though, was when somebody inflated a blow-up doll and batted it around the LF Pavilion.

LAdiablo
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
i have three beach ball related stories.
one i saw an old man grab one and violently murder it with his pocket knife.

two i was walking down the aisle with both arms full of food and beer and made a soccer style head shot to much applause

third and most recent i watched a good guy catch and hand one to a kid that then proceeded to deflate it. the place went nuts and the kid and his very strange family had to leave.

i just think its dangerous to an extent because it distracts from the action and anyone who as ever seen a screaming foul incoming knows to pay attn.
but there is no stopping them seemingly. i could care less cause no foul balls are gonna smack me. worst case i get hit by a beach ball.

LA-RaiderKidd
07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
yeal if any foul balls hit anyone, which is extremely unlikely, thats their own fault haha cuz we all have 2 hands that could catch the ball haha

dodgerdave
07-14-2008, 07:05 PM
99 cents. Since they sell them that cheap, then a ton of people will show up with beachballs.

LAdiablo
07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
whats funny is when people are so desperate for a ball they end up smacking around a deflated one, or worse attempt to re inflate it:speechless::puke:

CAIN=FUTURE
07-14-2008, 07:57 PM
If you dodger fans were smart you would fill the beach balls with poinison gas, then when the ushers pop them, kablam, no more mean usher. That would teach them not to pop your balls.

I still hate them.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Some fans give us a real bad reputation, and it sucks. But at the end of the day, we bring in more fans than about 30 other teams. It is LA I guess. What can you do?

Look how funcking big LA is. What really gives dodger fans a bad rep is 3rd to 7th.

gagnefan38
07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I may be a minority here, but a hate the beach ball thing. And I'm not an old man. People need to watch the ****en game. I hate people who get the greatest seats in the galaxy, and don't know a lick about baseball, and are hitting that beach ball. And the Wave is stupid too. Yea, I might do it if we are winning, and I am in a good mood, but when we are losing, I can't even move. I just sit there like a zombie. Real fans shouldn't be able to do the wave when the Dodgers are losing. How can you be happy when the Dodgers are losing? Beats me.

I'm with you, I hate them with a passion because inevitably one comes near my section and people stand up to hit it and get in the way. More than once it has caused people to spill their drink behind me and create a puddle of sticky soda that I have to deal with for several innings. Plus it's can be a safety problem, I am sure a few people have been hit in the head when a bonehead behind him miss hits the ball. Not only that with the trend of broken maple bats fricken flying into the stands someone is going to get seriously hurt.

I'm all for fun and I don't object to a few beachballs but the idiot fans are not satisfied until 10- 15 balls are being knocked around sometimes simultaneously. The game is long enough without the delay of the ball boy having to retrieve it on the field as well. Don't get me started on the wave that is so 1976.

This has been a public service announcement. :D

BlueZoo
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Amen.. great post-tells it like it is!
Dodger fans look like azzholes to other fans with the beachball/wave stupidity thing going on in the background...the crowd noise hardly ever matches what's going on down on the field.
i.e. A game being blown by Broxton and cheering and amusement park like atmosphere sounds in the background? That's supposed to be cool? that's pathetic... That's the "Dodger way" some say? To look and sound like clueless clowns?
Can't be...
If that's the truth, then LA residents who actually go to the games and think it's all OK with the "fun in the sun" behaviour regardless of the score, should have no bytch against McCourt when the prices rise and the team sucks...
What's the difference then?
Aren't there great beaches and amusement parks in and around LA?

CAIN=FUTURE
07-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I actually love the beach balls. Baseball games are such that you don't have to pay close attention the entire time. The lulls, especially throughout the 4th-6th innings, are usually a great time to talk with friends. The beach balls are a nice L.A. touch that adds even more variety to the game.

The best, though, was when somebody inflated a blow-up doll and batted it around the LF Pavilion.

You made your self seem like one of those dodger fans that only sticks around from the 3rd to 7th inning. If you cant pay attention to the entire game why bother going.

TrueBlue#21
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM

Umm... correct me if im wrong but I saw beach balls in Frisco when i was up there for the 4th of July weekend. I went to the Saturday July 5th game and i seen plenty of GIANT FANS playing with beach balls. Why are you putting down Dodger fans who bring beach balls when your own fans are doing the same.