PDA

View Full Version : Potential Trade Deadline Partners

monster_mash
07-14-2008, 03:04 PM
It's starting to become obvious that Danny Ferry isn't going to find a satisfactory deal for our expiring contracts this offseason. That leads most of us to believe that we'll have to wait until February for the Cavs to add a star player. We will have already paid half of Wally's salary for the season and the teams with miserable records and tradable pieces will be looking to deal.

Who do we think these teams are and what players do you think will become available?

IndiansFan337
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
It's starting to become obvious that Danny Ferry isn't going to find a satisfactory deal for our expiring contracts this offseason. That leads most of us to believe that we'll have to wait until February for the Cavs to add a star player. We will have already paid half of Wally's salary for the season and the teams with miserable records and tradable pieces will be looking to deal.

Who do we think these teams are and what players do you think will become available?
If not dealt earlier:

Ron Artest - Sacramento Kings - We should consider
Josh Howard - Dallas Mavericks - We should consider
Shawn Marion - Miami Heat - Would be extremely hard to acquire, but should be considered
Zach Randolph - NY Knicks - We won't even look at him
Kirk Hinrich - Chicago Bulls - Chicago likely won't trade him to division rival
Michael Redd - Milwaukee Bucks - We should consider
Charlie Villanueva - Milwaukee Bucks - We don't need
Tracy McGrady - Houston Rockets - Would be extremely hard to acquire, but should be considered
Marcus Camby - Denver Nuggets - We likely won't consider acquiring another aging big man
Kenyon Martin - Denver Nuggets - Read above, with worse contract
Andrei Kirilenko - Utah Jazz - We would have interest, but we don't have the pieces to interest the Jazz
Gerald Wallace - Charlotte Bobcats - We won't touch his contract
Mike Dunleavy Jr - Indiana Pacers - This is guy we should go HARD after, even though he is from within the division

There will surely be others available too.....But that's all I feel like summarizing right now.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
If not dealt earlier:

Shawn Marion - Miami Heat - Would be extremely hard to acquire, but should be considered
Tracy McGrady - Houston Rockets - Would be extremely hard to acquire, but should be considered
Marcus Camby - Denver Nuggets - We likely won't consider acquiring another aging big man
Andrei Kirilenko - Utah Jazz - We would have interest, but we don't have the pieces to interest the Jazz
Mike Dunleavy Jr - Indiana Pacers - This is guy we should go HARD after, even though he is from within the division

There will surely be others available too.....But that's all I feel like summarizing right now.

The ones that stand out I think are J Howard, Ron Artest, and Michael Redd. The Bucks aren't going to win a whole lot without defense so they still might want to dump Redd's contract because they might not be in contention.

The Kings obviously won't be in contention in the western conference but Artest so they could be looking to get some value for his expiring contract. (will be really hard to get)

The Mavericks have been thinking about trading Howard this off-season but it was unlikely because they still could be a good team with him. So I am thinking if the Mavericks fall out of contention around December or so they could be shopping Howard.

I would personally love to get Dunleavy but I don't understand why the Pacers would want to trade him.? He is a quality player who just had a break out year. I just don't get why he is on the list.

AMC31
07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
If not dealt earlier:

You should also add David Lee, Rashad McCants (who is very underated),
Cuttino Mobley, and Earl Watson (he can dish the ball like crazy).

IndiansFan337
07-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I would personally love to get Dunleavy but I don't understand why the Pacers would want to trade him.? He is a quality player who just had a break out year. I just don't get why he is on the list.
He is still overpaid though, and with such a long term contract they would probably be open to moving him.

You should also add David Lee, Rashad McCants (who is very underated),
Cuttino Mobley, and Earl Watson (he can dish the ball like crazy).
McCants is a chucker. Watson & Mobley are terrible, we won't go after either. Lee probably is unrealistic unless we're willing to take on the long term contract of Randolph or another overpaid veteran.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
He is still overpaid though, and with such a long term contract they would probably be open to moving him.

McCants is a chucker. Watson & Mobley are terrible, we won't go after either. Lee probably is unrealistic unless we're willing to take on the long term contract of Randolph or another overpaid veteran.

Oh yea see I didn't realize he had a large contract.

Talm
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Teams on the bubble are the ones who will most likely end up as partners at the deadline. The powerhouses such as LA, Boston, etc. are obviously only going to make a trade if they think it makes them better today. However, our most likely candidates are teams such as Charlotte, Houston, LA Clippers, and Sacramento. The teams I'm most interested in seeing are Phoenix, Detroit and Toronto, as its possible that if these teams aren't hot out of the gate, some moves may happen well before the trade deadline. I doubt we'd be pulling any of their all-stars off of the roster, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 of those teams make a drastic overhaul of their rosters by the end of December.

IndiansFan337
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Teams on the bubble are the ones who will most likely end up as partners at the deadline. The powerhouses such as LA, Boston, etc. are obviously only going to make a trade if they think it makes them better today. However, our most likely candidates are teams such as Charlotte, Houston, LA Clippers, and Sacramento. The teams I'm most interested in seeing are Phoenix, Detroit and Toronto, as its possible that if these teams aren't hot out of the gate, some moves may happen well before the trade deadline. I doubt we'd be pulling any of their all-stars off of the roster, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 of those teams make a drastic overhaul of their rosters by the end of December.
Those are good points. But Detroit surely isn't going to make a deal with us.

Grant Hill is a player from Phoenix that we should keep an eye on. And he has a VERY favorable contract. He only makes $1.8-1.9 million this year.

monster_mash
07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I really like Okefor from the Bobcats. He can score a little and play D. 15pts 10 boards and a few blocks w/o the opportunity to play next to LBJ last yr.

IndiansFan337
07-16-2008, 01:26 AM
I really like Okefor from the Bobcats. He can score a little and play D. 15pts 10 boards and a few blocks w/o the opportunity to play next to LBJ last yr.

We don't have the pieces to acquire him via S&T.

And obviously they would match any MLE offer sheet that he may sign.