PDA

View Full Version : Cavs making progress with Gibson

Sports Illustrator
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Wish I could report the Cavs being on the verge of a blockbuster trade or free-agent signing, but the only thing that seems likely to happen soon is the signing of restricted free-agent guard Daniel Gibson. Progress is being made, but the deal is not done. Nonetheless, this is good news, especially after ridiculous holdouts last season by restricted free-agents Sasha Pavlovic and Anderson Varejao, costing both players all of training camp and perhaps leading to some injuries in the regular season.

From Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2008/07/terry_plutos_scribbles_from_hi.html)

IndiansFan337
07-14-2008, 05:28 PM
So this likely means we won't be pulling off any S&T.

That means we'll be waiting until midseason to see any more changes.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-14-2008, 07:14 PM
So this likely means we won't be pulling off any S&T.

That means we'll be waiting until midseason to see any more changes.

Which is fine because Ferry's options could be better.

brownies23
07-15-2008, 12:26 AM
I have heard from chris brooks who is a friend of mine and a co worker, some hardcore basketball fans might know him from the nbdl, or the aba, has talked to gibson and confirmed that gibson and the cavs are getting close to signing a deal.The cavs are looking at trying to lock him up for 5 to 6 years for about 5 to 6 million a year. However, gibson is looking for a deal that is around 3 to 4 years for the same amount of money.

I like that we are trying to lock gibson up long term, because every 1 can c the kid has a whole bunch of skill and potential.

let me know what you guys think.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-15-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't really think signing a unproven player 5-6 years is a good idea.

AMC31
07-15-2008, 01:55 AM
I would rather sign him for 3-4 years like Boobie wants, if we are really trying to sign him long term could it mean we are working out a sign and trade with Delonte?

brownies23
07-15-2008, 01:59 AM
how can u call him unproven.he has shown himself to be a quality 3 point shooter, who is constantly improving, and increasing his knowledge of the game.if not for his clutch performance in game 6 against detroit, we might not of even made it to the finals.i never said that he is a star player, but you have to give him the credit of being a good role player, and a great young athlete with the possibility of becoming a mark price type player, if he continues on the road that he is in his career.

IndiansFan337
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
If we are really trying to sign him long term could it mean we are working out a sign and trade with Delonte?

I doubt it. West doesn't have very high trade value. And you can't involve other players when you trade away a player in a S&T.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
how can u call him unproven.he has shown himself to be a quality 3 point shooter, who is constantly improving, and increasing his knowledge of the game.if not for his clutch performance in game 6 against detroit, we might not of even made it to the finals.i never said that he is a star player, but you have to give him the credit of being a good role player, and a great young athlete with the possibility of becoming a mark price type player, if he continues on the road that he is in his career.

He is a good role player and thats about it. 5-6 years for anyone outside of a potential star or a star is very risky. I know he is a good 3pt shooter I watch the same games your watching. 1 great game for a 3pt role player is going to happen. Luckily for the Cavaliers it happened in games 6 vs Detroit. I just don't see a 5-6 year contract being good for a very unproven player. Till he can take the role of a starting point guard and become something more then a guy thats going to stand around and shoot three's then I don't want it.

IndiansFan337
07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
He is a good role player and thats about it. 5-6 years for anyone outside of a potential star or a star is very risky. I know he is a good 3pt shooter I watch the same games your watching. 1 great game for a 3pt role player is going to happen. Luckily for the Cavaliers it happened in games 6 vs Detroit. I just don't see a 5-6 year contract being good for a very unproven player. Till he can take the role of a starting point guard and become something more then a guy thats going to stand around and shoot three's then I don't want it.

If we sign this kid to a 5-6 yr deal we will likely regret it before that contract expires.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
If we sign this kid to a 5-6 yr deal we will likely regret it before that contract expires.

Exactly, so much can happen in 5-6 years I mean the guys ability to play the game could completely disappear in 3 and then you have him for 2-3 more years. Not a good situation unless you know the guy is going to either become a potential star through that contract or will continue to be a star and unfortunately Gibson is neither of those.

IndiansFan337
07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
• You haven't heard much about the Cleveland Cavaliers in free agency so far -- and at least one source close to the process believes they're out of the Posey running even though he's an Ohio native -- but here's one thing you can almost guarantee about the Cavs' summer: Daniel Gibson is as unlikely to move as any restricted free agent on the board. The reason: LeBron James is a huge Gibson fan.
ESPN.com link, it's near the bottom of the page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=FA-News-080712)

Talm
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Gibson has been locked up for 5 years. I can't believe how many of you guys are against this. He did single-handedly beat Detroit in a game six conference finals match...

He is a role-player; his role is being aggressive defensively and lights-out from the 3-point arc. If he never adds anything else to his game, he'd still be worth this contract. I know everyone wants to see the Cavs make a big splash, but you guys have to remember that the grass isn't always greener...

IndiansFan337
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed guard Daniel Gibson to a five-year contract.
Gibson's signing on Wednesday is the Cavaliers' first major move of the offseason. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Gibson averaged 10.4 points on 43 percent shooting last season and is still recovering from a severely sprained ankle.
Rotoworld.com