PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Could Be Making An Offer To Iguodala

phlp_bj
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Philadelphia were able to steal Elton Brand away from the L.A. Clippers, and now will the Clippers attempt to steal Andre Iguodala away from the Sixers?

According to Phil Jasner of the Philadelphia News, the Clippers have been in contact with Iguodala after coach Mike Dunleavy pushed for the talented small forward.

"He's among the guys we're considering, but we're still deliberating exactly what we want to do," said Dunleavy. "We're interested in all good players, and Iguodala is a very good player."

"We're not going to hide, but we're not going to publicize it each time we make contact with a player we think could help us," Dunleavy added. "We're trying to figure out the best way to get people to come, who to go with, who would be the best fit."

The Clippers have already met with Josh Smith from the Hawks.

Both Smith and Iguodala are restricted free agents, giving Atlanta and Philadelphia the opportunity to match any offer sheet that either player signs with another team.

The Clippers have about $12 million in salary-cap space after losing Brand and Corey Maggette. They have already signed Baron Davis this off season.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20080714_Clippers_could_be_making_an_offer_to_Iguo dala.html

T-Mac_Attack
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
LA is obviously butt-sore over the loss of Brand.. I don't like the thought of Iggy leaving Philly anyways plus LA already has Gordon.

ninerfan609
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
i hope iggy stays in Philly. he has a better chance of contending for a championship with them.

TmacYao2
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Ew, Iggy in a clippers uniform.

kylem4711
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
eh, corey maggette is better. could have had him for cheaper too

LA_Raiders
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont think he worths what he is asking for... Smith should work better, less $ + more D...

Ph1lly Diehard
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
eh, corey maggette is better. could have had him for cheaper too

That might be one of the dumbest statements iv'e heard this week.

Andre Igouadala hasn't even reached his peak yet, and NO WAY he would go for the MLE.. Ever.

Magette almost did go for the MLE, but the Warriors were desperate.

AllTheWay
07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Oh wouldn't that be poetic?

Brand screws over the Clips to join Miller, Iggy, and Dalembert in Philly, while Iggy decides to leave Philly to join Davis and the Clippers

Ahhhh, the Irony, i would love It

SwaggaIke
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Maggette is presently better than Iggy. Iguodala can't shoot a lick and he is easily taken out of his game by long defenders. Of course in the future he's going to be better, but right now...he's not. Corey is one of the best in the league at getting to the line, he can create for himself, he can shoot and he can defend.

Allabouthephils
07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh wouldn't that be poetic?

Brand screws over the Clips to join Miller, Iggy, and Dalembert in Philly, while Iggy decides to leave Philly to join Davis and the Clippers

Ahhhh, the Irony, i would love It

yes it would be...

BUT... this isn't a league of irony...

This is a league of benjamins, markets, and winning organizations; all three of which the Clippers are lacking...

No chance Iguodala signs with the Clippers to play in a harder league, where he won't make the playoffs, will get less money in endorsements and with an overhauled roster...

No chance Philly lets him walk when they can match for a reasonable offer considering the market... If they want they can always trade him after they match the clippers offer...

Allabouthephils
07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Maggette is presently better than Iggy. Iguodala can't shoot a lick and he is easily taken out of his game by long defenders. Of course in the future he's going to be better, but right now...he's not. Corey is one of the best in the league at getting to the line, he can create for himself, he can shoot and he can defend.

Iguodala is one of the better defenders in all of basketball... Easily better than Maggette... He can shoot a lick... What people see is what he did in the playoffs and that's a bad misrepresentation of Iguodala... He has a jumper it's not Kaponoesque but it's not horrible either... Iguodala is a better driver than Maggette anyday of the year... You take Maggette... I'll take Iguodala now all day long...

TmacYao2
07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Baron and Iggy would be one flashy *** duo.

pa the nigan 14
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
The Sixers can match any offer the Clips put on the table. Why would Iggy want to go there anyway? The winning tradition?

SwaggaIke
07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Iguodala is one of the better defenders in all of basketball... Easily better than Maggette... He can shoot a lick... What people see is what he did in the playoffs and that's a bad misrepresentation of Iguodala... He has a jumper it's not Kaponoesque but it's not horrible either... Iguodala is a better driver than Maggette anyday of the year... You take Maggette... I'll take Iguodala now all day long...

Nah, he's a decent defender. But not one of the better. He has long arms and he gambles on steals. He is not "easily" a better defender than Maggette. He is a below average shooter. He definitely isn't a better slasher than Maggette. Maggette is one of the best slashers in the league and gets to the line more than anyone not named Kobe, Wade or LeBron. You can take Iggy, its all about opinion. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, because he is. But he's not presently better than Corey Maggette.

BriereIsDaBest
07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Elton has already been assured by management that Iggy will be playing alongside him next year in a Sixers uni. And that they will match any offer that any team puts on the table for Iggy.

mariotubes
07-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Iguodala is not a better driver then Maggette.. check the stats, Maggette is always up there in league leaders when it comes to getting to the line

rriders9
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
That would suck for Brand

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-14-2008, 06:00 PM
If I were the Clippers, I would offer him the max just to jack up the price for the Sixers. I would even clear cap space by dumping scrubs to make it a bigger offer. If they dont match, you got yourself a solid player. If they do, they are going to have no cap room for about 7 years. And I dont see them winning a championship with the team as it is right now. They would need another free agent that can make an impact. They would not get that guy with the mid level exception.

AllTheWay
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
yes it would be...

BUT... this isn't a league of irony...

This is a league of benjamins, markets, and winning organizations; all three of which the Clippers are lacking...

No chance Iguodala signs with the Clippers to play in a harder league, where he won't make the playoffs, will get less money in endorsements and with an overhauled roster...

No chance Philly lets him walk when they can match for a reasonable offer considering the market... If they want they can always trade him after they match the clippers offer...

La is a bigger market than Philly, I dont see where that endorsment point is coming from

_Sn1P3r_
07-14-2008, 06:42 PM
If I were the Clippers, I would offer him the max just to jack up the price for the Sixers. I would even clear cap space by dumping scrubs to make it a bigger offer. If they dont match, you got yourself a solid player. If they do, they are going to have no cap room for about 7 years. And I dont see them winning a championship with the team as it is right now. They would need another free agent that can make an impact. They would not get that guy with the mid level exception.

Haha that would be a great plan from the Clipper-fan point of view because no matter what, Philly gets a negative consequence.

kylem4711
07-15-2008, 12:01 AM
That might be one of the dumbest statements iv'e heard this week.

Andre Igouadala hasn't even reached his peak yet, and NO WAY he would go for the MLE.. Ever.

Magette almost did go for the MLE, but the Warriors were desperate.

yeah, you dont even understand sentences.

i said you could get corey for cheaper then iggy.

since when does almost matter? ha

Westbrook36
07-15-2008, 12:04 AM
dont you guys know that you dont need a SF/SG?? You need a Power Forward :laugh:

kylem4711
07-15-2008, 12:06 AM

this comment just shows how much of a philly homer you are. i agree that iggy is a much better defender then corey, but other then that, corey and iggy probably have an equal jump shot. and maggette is much much better at driving.

this does not mean that iggy is not good because he is, but corey is more of a threat because of the amount of times he tries, his strength and speed, and also because he is a very good free throw shooter.

barreleffact
07-15-2008, 04:33 AM
honestly, adding iggy to the team would be stupid. they already have so much young talent. they need bigs. they have davis-1, gordon-2, thornton i think for the 3, but they need front court cuz kaman cant even help his hair loss let alone his franchise

XJW18
07-15-2008, 04:49 AM
hmmm
Wow that team would be good.

QuaLiThADoN
07-15-2008, 02:38 PM
woud b freakin crazy

AllTheWay
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
honestly, adding iggy to the team would be stupid. they already have so much young talent. they need bigs. they have davis-1, gordon-2, thornton i think for the 3, but they need front court cuz kaman cant even help his hair loss let alone his franchise

wow what a lame joke

The guy put up 15 points and 12 boards a game

FNM BOY
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
La is a bigger market than Philly, I dont see where that endorsment point is coming from

^^Yeah thats tru....but the Clippers in LA is a non existant basketball franchise in comparison to the Lakers.

Allabouthephils
07-15-2008, 03:08 PM

LA is a bigger market but that market is dominanted by the Lakers... In a two team city, if your not the biggest fish, your playing second fiddle... Iguodala would not even be that... He would be 3rd, 4th or 5th fiddle in LA... Odom, Bynum, Davis, Kobe... Those guys would dominant the LA scene over him... In Philly, he would have to compete with Brand for the endorsement dollars and probably not even compete... It would be more like share... Econ 101 my friend...

PDT4LIFE
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM

LA is not a bigger market if you take into account that the Clippers are looked upon as NBA D League team. Secondly if LA is such a great marketing city - why doesn't any NFL team represent the city? Last point, what does it tell you that the most marketed LA sports product in the last 20 years is Tommy Lasorda? BTW, he is from Philly :)

ZHawk1123
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Nah, he's a decent defender. But not one of the better. He has long arms and he gambles on steals. He is not "easily" a better defender than Maggette. He is a below average shooter. He definitely isn't a better slasher than Maggette. Maggette is one of the best slashers in the league and gets to the line more than anyone not named Kobe, Wade or LeBron. You can take Iggy, its all about opinion. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, because he is. But he's not presently better than Corey Maggette.

Or Pierce...

Beno7500
07-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Ron Artest for Iggy. Heh?

Bubba17
07-15-2008, 03:28 PM
He's not going anywhere...management said they would match any offer and they have already told Brand he'll be playing with Iggy next year. So just turn your attention to Josh Smith, because your just upset over losing Brand.

dre1990
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
wont happen

Thatruth32
07-15-2008, 03:51 PM
sixers i think would match any offer to iggy

Bubba17
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
On Sunday, Elton Brand said he had been assured by Sixers' management that the team would match any offer made to free agent Andre Iguodala.
This is a good sign that the Sixers are not going to lose Iguodala the way the Clippers lost Brand. but we won't know for sure until someone formally makes an offer to Iguodala. Which should happen in the near future.

rotoworld

SwaggaIke
07-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Or Pierce...

He gets to the line more than Pierce.

Tony_Starks
07-15-2008, 04:41 PM
sixers i think would match any offer to iggy

They can match any offer but they'd like to pay a reasonable amount, which they've already offered. If Clipps come along and offer the same amount that they finally offered Brand it will definitely give them a moment of pause... Nobody wants to be committed to paying that kind of $$ to not just one but 2 players who technically aren't superstars. They'd basically be handcuffing themselves for years.

FNM BOY
07-15-2008, 04:43 PM
^^ok..and if Iggy decides to go to the Clippers what would they be doing to themselves???...WIll Iggy be there PF...that would be a dumb move!! Iggy is staying anyway.

Tony_Starks
07-15-2008, 04:57 PM
^^ok..and if Iggy decides to go to the Clippers what would they be doing to themselves???...WIll Iggy be there PF...that would be a dumb move!! Iggy is staying anyway.

I didn't say it would be a bright move by the Clipps. I simply said if they made that offer it would be hard for Philly to match. I wouldn't do it if Im LA but then again Im sure they wouldn't mind sticking it to Philly and Brand. Even if Philly matched they'd be waaaay overpaying and plus they still need to re-sign Williams. Will Clipps make that move? Who knows but they've obviously contacted Iggy. Guess it depends on how pissed they are over the Brand debacle.

kobe2008mvp
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Sidney Crosbaby!

Elton has already been assured by management that Iggy will be playing alongside him next year in a Sixers uni. And that they will match any offer that any team puts on the table for Iggy.

that's what elton said when brand came and never happened!!!!!!!

fresh prince
07-15-2008, 05:13 PM
It wouldn't even make sense for the Clippers to sign Iggy..He wouldnt make them that much better...

They need to focus on signing Okafor and then Josh Smith in that order of priority

PDT4LIFE
07-15-2008, 05:24 PM
They can match any offer but they'd like to pay a reasonable amount, which they've already offered. If Clipps come along and offer the same amount that they finally offered Brand it will definitely give them a moment of pause... Nobody wants to be committed to paying that kind of $$ to not just one but 2 players who technically aren't superstars. They'd basically be handcuffing themselves for years.

I have posted this in another Iggy thread but for those worried about him being offered Brand money (82 mil), here ya go...

If my math is correct, the MAX the Clippers can offer Iggy is 70.38 million for a 5 year contract. They have 12 million in cap space for this year so here is the breakdown.

Year 1 - 12 mil
Year 2 - 12.96 mil
Year 3 - 13.99 mil
Year 4 - 15.11 mil
Year 5 - 16.32 mil

Per the collective bargaining agreement, you can only give 8% yearly increases. Sixers will match, 16 mil will look like peanuts by year 5 when average starters will get 10 - 12 mil per year easy.

Tony_Starks
07-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I have posted this in another Iggy thread but for those worried about him being offered Brand money (82 mil), here ya go...

If my math is correct, the MAX the Clippers can offer Iggy is 70.38 million for a 5 year contract. They have 12 million in cap space for this year so here is the breakdown.

Year 1 - 12 mil
Year 2 - 12.96 mil
Year 3 - 13.99 mil
Year 4 - 15.11 mil
Year 5 - 16.32 mil

Per the collective bargaining agreement, you can only give 8% yearly increases. Sixers will match, 16 mil will look like peanuts by year 5 when average starters will get 10 - 12 mil per year easy.

Thanks for the breakdown. That's still a pretty steep contract for that caliber of a player IMO. They probably still would match, but wasn't their original offer to him something like $58 mil over 5 years? Not sure but if it was thats quite a increase.

Personnel wise I don't think it would be a good move for the Clipps to do it, my speculation is solely on the spite factor alone. I don't know how personal they've taken this thing but then again why would they contact him in the 1st place? Its not like they're in need at that position?