PDA

View Full Version : Are NBA Refs Too Close For Comfort?

phlp_bj
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Outside The Lines looks at the relationship between referees and coaches

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3484915&categoryId=2459788&n8pe6c=1

barreleffact
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
more so than coaches, i believe david stern has officials cheat for teams. like game 2 in the finals...30 free throw diff? the lakers never mentally got over the fact that the nba wanted them to lose. i mean it was pretty sad wen kobe drove to the lane and got fouled so flagrantly that he had to put up a floater with his left when he obviously intended to use his right. but then when he made it anyway his expressions toward the refs said it all

Crunchy12489
07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I saw this segment on ESPN the other day.

I don't think coaches and players should rate refs.

They should take the ratings out and you'll have a non-biased officiated game.

Did you know that the higher your rating is, as a ref, the more you are paid? What kind of bull **** is this?

David Stern needs to take action!

Some ref (who reffed for 27 seasons) said that Dick Bavetta brings cookies to a certain coach every game. The man asking him questions and doing the interview asked him, "Does he bring cookies to the other coach?", and he replied "No, just him."

This is getting out of hand. Cookies? Really?

_Sn1P3r_
07-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Did you know that the higher your rating is, as a ref, the more you are paid? What kind of bull **** is this?

Some ref (who reffed for 27 seasons) said that Dick Bavetta brings cookies to a certain coach every game. The man asking him questions and doing the interview asked him, "Does he bring cookies to the other coach?", and he replied "No, just him."

Lmao, cookies? Is that some kiss-*** thing or whatever?

Beno7500
07-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Way too close

Beno7500
07-14-2008, 09:16 PM
its actually sickening.

Crunchy12489
07-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Lmao, cookies? Is that some kiss-*** thing or whatever?

Apparently.

It's a damn shame that sports is turning into biased officiating and ***-kissing.

Spurred1
07-15-2008, 01:13 AM

Just wondering...what kind of cookies? And just to stick to the topic-it's unprofessional to be bringing cookies in or having unusually close relationships with coaches. Aren't there any guidelines regarding referee/coach conduct?

ARMIN12NBA
07-15-2008, 01:57 AM
When refs are asking Michael Jordan for autographed shoes during the fourth quarter of a close playoff game, then that is very inappropriate. Especially since there have always been suspicions of Michael Jordan being helped and nudged by the NBA. This will only heighten these suspicions and rumors.

avsman05
07-15-2008, 02:25 AM
My guess for Bavetta is Phil Jackson the guy just looks good in an apron. No but seriously this is ridiculous all these refs are getting to old and lazy and when relationships start thats when the actual work stops so these refs need to go and keep them coming and going every 5 years this will stop friendships from happening.

AllTheWay
07-15-2008, 03:00 AM
I love cookies

Iodine
07-15-2008, 03:16 AM
I love cookies

And they hate you

sunsalltheway03
07-15-2008, 03:26 AM
Meh, sometimes this league is a joke. Rogue refs, favoritism, insert third arguing point here. All I'm saying is that I've already burnt my fuse. I've yelled the name Stern till I was blue in the face. It doesn't even surprise me anymore. I've almost come to *shudder* expect it.

Crunchy12489
07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Just wondering...what kind of cookies? And just to stick to the topic-it's unprofessional to be bringing cookies in or having unusually close relationships with coaches. Aren't there any guidelines regarding referee/coach conduct?

I guess not.

When a man brings you oreos every game he sees you, I think that's taking it a bit too far...

That old ref (who reffed 27 seasons) didn't say the name of the coach because he didn't want to put him on blast... That would ruin the coach's reputation...

Any guesses?

lol.

I'd say Jerry Sloan since he and Bavetta look damn near the same age... Or maybe Pat Riley? Phil?

QUICKTRADE
07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
stern is biased and i think he is manipulating the whole nba and dictating the outcome of each game. PJ is right that refs should not be under the league directly. they should be provided by a third party that the league should supervise or as consultants. i know this refs are just human beings but its very noticeable how they were blind in times of critical moments. i just dont like the league policy that why cant they review a play at the end of the game whether is a foul play or a good one. if they review if the ball is good or not why cant they in fouls. evrybody makes a mistake. this comissioners office is mafia kind in m opinion and pardon me if thats my personal opinion because that how i see it. Im not saying that all refs and other people are bad in the league bu please have a bette rules to approach the game for better public service.