PDA

View Full Version : Pre All Star Break Grades/Evaluations

Shawh
07-14-2008, 05:27 AM

LA_Bron
07-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Good read.

In my opinion you were pretty lenient with those grades but for the most part (especially the descriptions) I'd agree with.

Couple of things

Furcal does not deserve an A. Yes he was a monster while he was playing but the bottom line is he's been gone for most of the season, and personally, I can't give that an A or even a B.

D-Lowe, I'd give him a B at best. He's had few quality starts recently but he's been bombing it before that. I'd personally give him a C+/B-, give or take.

In order for me to give Saito an A or an A- for that matter, he'd have to be at least AS GOOD as last season, which he clearly is not. He's already blown handful of saves and he's no where near as dominant as he was last two seasons.

And finally, I'd give Juan Pierre a B- at least. He's been benched, and got inconsistent play time while Furcal was out, but once he got back on he was exactly what you'd expect from Pierre, and he was clutch with RISP. He was also stealing lots of bags, which again, is what he's suppose to do.

Overall though, very good reading man. Thanks for putting all the time in.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Good post, and I agree with most. My only objection is the marks are too high, compared to MLB standards anyway. With the exception of Kuo and Furcal, I would drop everyone one grade, for example Bills would be a B in my books.

GHGHCP
07-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice write up, I would change your Kuroda-graph (:D) a bit as Logan White was the one that scouted him putting his reputation on the line.

southerndodgerf
07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Good anlaysis overall. I think the grades are as inflated as most Ivy league institutions. Of course, we are biased as Dodger fans.

BlueZoo
07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
If Furcal gets an A, then I guess I've been watching a different team for the last three seasons...if others get lower marks for being... well, not there or only a percentage of what they should be, then he goes to the head of the class. Detention.
It seems like if a player is liked, he's given a real long leash on the criteria the unliked are judged harshly by...
Agree with you on Penny's F...biggest problem for this team so far this season, along with RISP.
Also, I would be interested in Torre's grade.
A comprehensive and thoughtful post, but if they were all as good as you stated, then we should be way better than we are..uh, were.

Shawh
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
True, I'm sure my inherit Dodger fan bias kicked in and gave some better grades.

The reasoning behind giving Furcal an A was for his presence on the field prior to injury. I suppose if you look at him the entire year, you'd have to give him a lower grade because of that.

bigboyblu
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I honestly hate to say it but I think that you underrated Maza and Berroa:speechless:
I love their D and they have finaly found a niche as a late inning defensive replacement for Nomar and Kent.
I say D maybe D+

THINKBLUE15
07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Good read. Agree with almost all of it. Unfortunatly, It made me a little tired, and I can't respond in depth too much.

Tapptout
07-14-2008, 07:50 PM
i don't know if Chan Ho gets an A- as a starter...i agree he has been the biggest surprise but if Kuroda is an A- Park is like a B

SportsFan1988
07-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Shawh deserves some serious points after that post. :D nice job, man! :)