PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers Sign First Round Pick J.J. Hickson

Sbank
05-20-2008, 01:03 PM
We have the 19th pick there in the first round. Needs, true Point Guard and Center. What we need to address in the draft at least get a young Point Guard.

IndiansFan337
05-21-2008, 08:19 AM
We have the 19th pick there in the first round. Needs, true Point Guard and Center. What we need to address in the draft at least get a young Point Guard.

I hope we can get one of these players (in this order):

1. DJ Augustin
2. Donte Greene
3. Kosta Koufos
4. Roy Hibbert
5. Jason Thompson

gambino6778
05-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I really like Delonte West at the PG for the next couple years, if they can afford to resign him. I don't know if he is the long term answer but I think SG and PF are more pressing needs. They have Z to get Offensive reb and shoot the open J. They need a PF to block shots, get Deffensive reb and play with his back to the basket. That is not an easy thing to find. They need a SG who can consitently hit the open J, both mid range and 3. Again not an easy thing to find. 19 is a tough spot to pick. It looks like they are going to end up with a PG or C. Roy Hibbard and Ty Lawson could still be on the board when they pick. Brandon Rush played 3 years which amounts to polished in the NBA now a days. He can shoot the rock and play some D. He could be a possible fit at the SG. I would prefer to see them trade this pick and some contracts to get a Redd or Brand but that may be a long shot.

Sbank
05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I really like Delonte West at the PG for the next couple years, if they can afford to resign him. I don't know if he is the long term answer but I think SG and PF are more pressing needs. They have Z to get Offensive reb and shoot the open J. They need a PF to block shots, get Deffensive reb and play with his back to the basket. That is not an easy thing to find. They need a SG who can consitently hit the open J, both mid range and 3. Again not an easy thing to find. 19 is a tough spot to pick. It looks like they are going to end up with a PG or C. Roy Hibbard and Ty Lawson could still be on the board when they pick. Brandon Rush played 3 years which amounts to polished in the NBA now a days. He can shoot the rock and play some D. He could be a possible fit at the SG. I would prefer to see them trade this pick and some contracts to get a Redd or Brand but that may be a long shot.

We can't trade out first round pick this year. We traded our last one last year so this year we have to draft in the first round at least.

gambino6778
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
We can't trade out first round pick this year. We traded our last one last year so this year we have to draft in the first round at least.

They could still draft the player the team wants and do the trade for the drafted players rights. It is still a long shot at best.

IndiansFan337
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
They could still draft the player the team wants and do the trade for the drafted players rights. It is still a long shot at best.

I think the Cavs will want a young player at 19, whose rights they can control for the next few seasons since we could lose 5-7 players to the F/A market between this & next summer.

gambino6778
05-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I think the Cavs will want a young player at 19, whose rights they can control for the next few seasons since we could lose 5-7 players to the F/A market between this & next summer.

That wouldn't be a bad idea if the Cavs could draft...lol. Since LBJ their first round picks have been Luke Jackson and Shannon Brown. Not exactly a great record. If they could turn a pick, that is a coin flip at best, into a starting caliber NBA player they should do it. LeBron wants to win now. They have 2 glaring holes that need filled this year. I don't know if it is a good idea to take a chance in the draft. If they do pick I hope they take a player who stayed in college for a few years and is ready to contribute at the NBA level.

IndiansFan337
05-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Trade rumors keep coming hot and heavy, though most of them are aren't worth repeating.

But here's one intriguing one I heard today: The Cleveland Cavaliers could trade Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao and the No. 19 pick to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal.

It's an interesting idea, but when I called team sources to find out if there was any truth to it, they shot it down as bogus.

Still, I'd watch both teams closely. I think the Pacers will move O'Neal this summer if they can, and I think the Cavs are definitely going to try and strengthen the supporting cast this summer for LeBron's sake. A healthy O'Neal could be a big boon for the Cavs, and head coach Mike Brown, formerly with the Pacers, should know how to get the best out of him.
ESPN.com link (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080523&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftWatch-080523)

This trade rumor has us trading the pick, which would have to happen after we select the player...because of NBA rules. I don't see this trade going down, but I figured I'd throw it out here to keep the discussion flowing.

"WhatIf"
05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
If we keep the pick here is my order for players that could realistdrop to 19that we hould take:
Javale Mcgee
Kosta Koufos
Donte Greene
Brandon Rush
Chris-Douglas Roberts

IndiansFan337
05-23-2008, 09:23 PM
If we keep the pick here is my order for players that could realistdrop to 19that we hould take:
Javale Mcgee
Kosta Koufos
Donte Greene
Brandon Rush
Chris-Douglas Roberts

I really hope that we don't take McGee. He seems so scrawny & we don't need a long term project, considering the scenario we could be in within 2 years with LeBron. I think Greene has a high ceiling & will continue to improve for years, but can make an immediate impact as well. Rush could probably come in immediately & step in as our team's starting SG. He would get a good amount of open 3 pt. shots playing alongside LeBron. Koufos is a local guy, so I won't count him out, although I believe he will be gone by 19. He is very slow & almost seems as if he isn't athletic. He plays a lot like Z, so I'm not sure how the fans will like him....

Sbank
05-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Cavs keep draft plans under wraps
Many expect GM to select big man
The Cavaliers are in a bit of a rare position, at least as it applies to them.

Their season is over, but they not only have a first-round NBA Draft pick, but they also have their highest selection spot since 2004. About to enter his fourth season as general manager, Danny Ferry has been able to use just three draft picks, and they all came in the same year, 2006. He's only had one first-rounder, which turned out to be a failure in Shannon Brown, who didn't survive two years with the team and now has a murky NBA future.

The Cavs still don't have their full complement of picks this season. The second-rounder is going to the Phoenix Suns for a 2002 trade to acquire Milt Palacio.

Still, the No. 19 overall selection belongs to them. Because three of the Cavs' last four first-round draft picks have been busts (Dajuan Wagner, Luke Jackson, Brown), using it wisely is vital.

Usually you will not find instant-impact players that low. In fact, just two of the last seven players taken at No. 19 have had significant roles on their teams. One is Zach Randolph, and the other is Sasha Pavlovic. Last year, point guard Javaris Crittenton went to the Los Angeles Lakers at No. 19 and was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies at midseason in the Pau Gasol deal.

Unlike many teams that will announce whom they are working out and when — often followed by a news conference where the player might be critiqued — Ferry lets nothing out when it comes to his draft plans. The Cavs keep their workouts and any comments on the players secret.

So getting a read on their plans is somewhat difficult. However, this draft is deep in big men, and the Cavs have three big men in their 30s in Ben Wallace, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Joe Smith. Anderson Varejao might just be entering his prime, but he's also signed for only one more season, which would make getting another big man prudent with a year to develop, followed by expectations in the 2009-10 season.

That is the way the top mock draft experts are thinking. ESPN's Chad Ford has the Cavs taking former GlenOak star Kosta Koufos of Ohio State with their pick, and Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com is projecting the Cavs to look at
Nevada sophomore JaVale McGee.

Both are 7-footers who need seasoning. Koufos is more of a finesse player who some project could eventually play like Ilgauskas. But Ilgauskas had way more experience and more low-post talent when he was drafted by the Cavs in 1996. McGee is known for his 7-foot-6 wingspan but is even more of a project who is now frantically trying to add weight. He played at just a little more than 220 pounds this season.

If the Cavs are looking for a more-polished player, they might look at Georgetown senior Roy Hibbert. He was projected as a high lottery pick a year ago but has slid recently as some see him as not athletic enough to compete at the highest level. Still, he's a legitimate 7-foot-2, skilled and experienced player. There are plenty of teams, though, who have hinted they might be willing to trade down in this draft. Numerous picks between the mid-lottery and the Cavs' slot could be had for the right package.

The Cavs might test the waters on moving up. There are two point-guard prospects expected to be taken in the lottery that sources say the Cavs have an interest in. One is Texas guard D.J. Augustin, and the other is UCLA guard Russell Westbrook.

There's plenty of time between now and June 26, and individual workouts won't start until after this week's Pre-Draft Camp in Orlando, Fla., so lots of variables could change plans.

Dribbles

It was a very difficult season for Varejao, who didn't join the team until December due to a contract squabble.

Then he played some of the best basketball of his career before a severe ankle injury at the end of January put him on the bench for a month.

When Varejao came back, Wallace was the starter and was getting more clutch-time minutes. Varejao responded by trying to force his offensive game, which turned into a disaster. His shooting percentage plummeted, and his turnovers increased.

By the end of the season, Varejao was just plain frustrated and not at all happy, and he made it known.

Though he's still valuable, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Cavs test the trade market for Varejao this summer.

The Cavs are facing the loss of Assistant General Manager Chris Grant, who has emerged as the Atlanta Hawks' top choice to become their new general manager. Though he is very familiar with the Hawks after working there nine years, he hasn't actively been looking to leave the Cavs and will make sure everything is in order before signing.

The Hawks' ownership and top management have been in various stages of chaos for the past three years. Expect Grant to take a page from Ferry's book.

Before he was willing to take the Cavs' job in 2005, Ferry drove a hard bargain to solidify his control and got himself a fully guaranteed five-year deal.

The Cavs have already started the paperwork with the league office on getting Eric Snow approved for disability retirement. There are lots of hoops to jump through, but Snow says that his left knee is bone-on-bone, and that he's probably done.

If all the proper parties sign off, Snow's $7.3 million could be taken off the Cavs' books for luxury-tax purposes.

It is also possible that the NBA could grant the Cavs an exception of up to half of Snow's salary ($3.7 million) to use to sign another player or to use in a trade.

Many Cavs fans got upset at ESPN host Stephen A. Smith on Monday for guaranteeing on a broadcast that James would bolt for New York in two years.

In truth, Smith is close to members of James' inner circle.

It's possible that after the way the season ended, some around James would indeed think this way.

Many of them would benefit from James going to New York. But it will be James alone who makes the decision, and he will not make it until 2010. Speculation and conjecture between now and then is just that.

James has said for years that he is ''his own man,'' and this falls squarely in that category.

Ohio.com (http://www.ohio.com/sports/19244574.html?page=all&c=y)
I think we need to get a point guard in the draft not a big man.

IndiansFan337
05-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I think we either will go with a big man or a PG. We probably won't grab a swingman, unless Donte Greene somehow falls to us at #19.

I hope we don't reach for one of the smaller PG's in the draft though, unless it is Augustin. I am not sold on Lawson or Collison on this Cavs team. They wouldn't be able to play alongside Gibson at all.

pdpkong
06-02-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=1266
Here are some interesting points of views and I think CDR or Brandon Rush would be great alongside Lebron. They put some scoring in there and the Cavs can't really wait for the bigs to develop and usually that takes 2-3 years by that time Lebron might not even be in a Cavs uniformt anymore

Sbank
06-16-2008, 10:36 PM
2008 Draft Preview: SHOOTING GUARDS
Nicolas Batum – 6-8, 190 – Born: December 14, 1988 (Lisieux, France) – Team: LeMans (France) – One of the most talented ballplayers in Europe, Batum enters the draft at only 19 years old; freakish athleticism; very versatile, could easily slide to forward at 6-8 with a few pounds; huge wingspan; great mid-range game; excels at creating his own shot and space to shoot it; needs to develop his body and probably not ready to contribute this season; inconsistent shooter who’s been described as “soft”; has all the tools to be an excellent defender; not yet confident or assertive; defers to his teammates, sometimes too often; has a huge upside.

Chase Budinger – 6-7, 208 – Born: May 22, 1988 (LaJolla, CA) – High School: LaCosta Canyon HS (Carlsbad, CA) – College: Arizona – Explosive dunker with vertical leap of over 40 inches; same birthday as LeBron; averaged 15.6 ppg as a freshman, 17.1 ppg as a sophomore; 2007 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year; good range; excellent rebounder from the wing; elite volleyball player in school; not a good defender; not physical or aggressively defensively, struggles to fight through screens; Lute Olsen called him the “best freshman I’ve ever coached.”

Chris Douglas-Roberts – 6-7, 200 – Born: January 8, 1987 (Detroit, MI) – High School: Cass Technical HS (Detroit, MI) – College: Memphis – Averaged 8.3 ppg as a freshman, 15.4 as a sophomore, 18.1 as a junior (led team); unorthodox style; extremely versatile; performs big in big games; gets to the line consistently; crafty – likes to use floaters and the glass; good ball-handler who played point guard in high school and early at Memphis; tough defender who uses wingspan to his advantage, but needs to add weight, muscle to his frame; big-time tournament experience – averaged 23.2 ppg in NCAAs; outstanding intangibles.

Courtney Lee – 6-5, 200 – Born: October 3, 1985 (Indianapolis, IN) – High School: Pike HS (Indianapolis, IN) – College: Western Kentucky – Turned up his game in the tournament during Western Kentucky’s amazing 2007 run; average ball-handling skills for a wing player; able to get off a shot in small spaces; good finisher; polished offensive game with four years of solid experience; questions about competition after playing with mid-major; great mid-range game, nice pull-up jumper; nimble defender who averaged 1.8 steals per game as a senior; extremely mature, intelligent and unselfish.

Brandon Rush – 6-6, 210 – Born: July 7, 1985 (Kansas City, MO) – High School: Mount Zion Academy (Goldsboro, NC) – College: Kansas – Defended team’s top scorer every night; could have come out after his sophomore year before injuring ACL in a pickup game; good three-point shooter (43% as a sophomore); brother of Kareem and JaRon Rush; MVP of the Big 12 Tournament; excellent defender with 6-11 wingspan; not a great ball-handler; upside questioned since he’s already 22 years old; great basketball IQ; has worked on upper body strength since college season ended; can create his own shot; may be able to play some forward as a pro.

Bill Walker – 6-6, 220 – Born: October 9, 1987 (Huntington, WV) – High School: North College Hill HS (Cincinnati, OH) – College: Kansas State – Jaw-dropping dunker with off-the-charts explosiveness; smart player who loves watching tape to prepare for opponents; benefited from playing next to Michael Beasley at Manhattan; overpowers opponents with overall physical strength; played exceptionally well on both ends of the floor during NCAA Tournament; extremely emotional – which works both for and against him; concerns about ACL injury suffered as a freshman; childhood friend of O.J. Mayo.

Cavs.com (http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/draft_preview_2guard_080616.html)

IndiansFan337
06-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I really like Courtney Lee, but not at #19.

We'd have to acquire a pick at the beginning or middle of the 1st round to consider him a realistic option.

Jay22Redd
06-17-2008, 12:09 PM
i think you guys should get either Roy Hibbert or Kosta Koufos

IndiansFan337
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
i think you guys should get either Roy Hibbert or Kosta Koufos

Hibbert would probably be too slow for our offense.

Koufos may be as well, yet people still think because he is younger & local that he may be an option anyway.

Sbank
06-22-2008, 05:13 PM
NBA draft experts believe bigger is better for Cavs
It's a pretty safe bet that the Cavaliers still aren't sure exactly what they'll do with the No. 19 pick in Thursday's NBA draft, but that never stops people from telling them what they should do with it.

Two nationally recognized draft experts with Ohio ties - NBA consultant and scout Chris Ekstrand, who lives in Perrysburg, and Alliance native Chris Monter, longtime publisher of the Monter Draft News and www.collegebasketballnews.com - have some advice: Bigger is better.

"There are going to be no answers for them at point guard at 19," Ekstrand said. "At 19, you don't have the luxury of saying, 'We want X or Y.' I know it's a cliche but the truth is there are going to be some bigs around for them. If Ohio State's Kosta Koufos is taken, that means somebody else is available - Texas A&M's DeAndre Jordan or Florida's Marreese Speights or N.C. State's J.J. Hickson. Maybe Georgetown's Roy Hibbert.

"That's the value pick. Figure out who you like the best among that group of bigs, none of whom are ready to come in and make a big impact right away. But you take them and then you have another big for your rotation. That's probably the best value for them at that point."

Said Monter: "There's a lot of size, players 6-8, 6-9 or better. There's a decent group of guys who could be centers in the NBA. That doesn't often happen. If you want to get some size, I think there's some size available, although some of the players they were hoping would be there - like Koufos - might not be available. But there will be some decent options - Robin Lopez, Speights, Nevada's JaVale McGee."

Ekstrand and Monter agree it's a fairly deep draft. Monter predicts the record of eight first-year players drafted, set last year, will be broken. He thinks 10 freshmen could be drafted and sees at least one scenario where the first five picks could be freshmen. Ekstrand is certain there will be a number of trades, which will make things harder on the Cavs.

"When you're at 19, you're reacting," Ekstrand said. "There are so many things that are going to happen. There's going to be plenty of movement above them. They're going to have to wait for the dust to clear."

Good signs:

The Cavaliers have made qualifying offers to Daniel Gibson for $972,581 and Delonte West for $2.76 million, meaning they will become restricted free agents on July 1, and the Cavs will have the right to match any offers they receive from other teams. The team has until June 30 to make a qualifying offer to Dwayne Jones.

Rumor mill:
Anderson Varejao's name figures in a lot of pre-draft rumors, which certainly isn't surprising. The young, active power forward still holds plenty of appeal, despite an injury-plagued 2007-08 season. But because the Cavaliers matched the offer sheet he signed with Charlotte on Dec. 5, 2007, Varejao has to OK any trade. He clearly won't agree to go to any team that doesn't have big plans for him this season and down the road when his contract expires after next season.

On the move:

The Cavs are exploring ways to move up in the draft and/or obtain a second-round pick, and they're not alone in looking for a deal. Several teams have made it known they'd be willing to trade their picks, including Charlotte at No. 9, New Jersey at Nos. 10 and 21 and Portland at No. 13.

Did 48 early-entry candidates withdrawing their names from the draft last week seem like a lot to you? Actually, the number has been fairly steady the past three years. In 2006, 47 of 94 early entry candidates withdrew. In 2007, 46 of 84 did the same.

Crown princes:

NBA Finals MVP Paul Pierce presented each of his NBA champion Celtics teammates and coaches with bottles of Crown Royal XR wrapped in a personalized embroidered suede version of the famed Crown Royal bag, containing their name and a congratulatory message about the big win. Pierce distributed the gifts during a team party at his home on Friday, after the team was honored at Fenway Park.

Home sale:

The Chagrin Valley Times reports Eric Snow sold his home in Moreland Hills for $1.35 million.

Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/121412342539280.xml&coll=2)

Sbank
06-23-2008, 10:56 PM
2008 Draft Preview: POWER FORWARDS
As the NBA Draft draws closer, cavs.com takes a look at what scouts are saying about potential picks.

In today’s third installment, we take a look at some of the power forwards who might be available when the Cavs are on the clock at No. 19.

Ryan Anderson – 6-10, 240 – Born: May 6, 1988 (El Dorado Hills, CA) – College: California – Played himself into the first round after exceptional sophomore season at Cal; fantastic inside-outside skills; quick release and can get shots off in traffic; prolific three-point shooter for a big man; great passer out of the high post; nice face-up moves and mid-range jumper; excellent hands and toughness make him a solid rebounder; excellent basketball IQ; questions about his foot-speed, doesn’t excel in the transition game and gets beat defensively by quicker opponents; needs to add upper-body strength, but is only 20; somewhat overlooked, playing next to DeVon Hardin; simply has a knack for scoring.

Darrell Arthur – 6-9, 225 – Born: March 25, 1988 (Dallas, TX) –
College: Kansas – Great hands and excellent shotblocker – although sometimes overaggressive and can be foul-prone; led Kansas – by a large margin – in blocked shots and fouls; somewhat undersized for a power forward, but plays bigger; excellent pivot moves; runs the floor very well, excels in transition game; played big in big games for National Champs; poor free throw shooter; nice array of post moves, including turnaround jumper and jump hook; not a great jump-shooter, shot only 25 percent from long distance, but his range in workouts looks to be better; biggest problem is inconsistency, but too talented to slip far.

Donte Green – 6-11, 226 – Born: February 21, 1988 (Baltimore, MD) –
College: Syracuse – Unusual athleticism and fluidity for a man his size; injuries and a so-so Syracuse team slowed down once-promising freshman season; excellent perimeter player with flawless motion on jumper; sometimes relies on the jumper – and the three-pointer – too much; scouts compare him to Rashard Lewis; combination of size and skill make him a tough matchup; combination of length and quickness make him an excellent shot-blocker; because of his reliance on the jumper, scouts have questioned his toughness; could probably use another year at the collegiate level, but oozing with NBA potential.

Richard Hendrix – 6-9, 255 – Born: November 15, 1986 (Athens, AL) –
College: Alabama – Relies on physical strength and toughness and has drawn comparisons to Utah’s Paul Milsap; not a pretty player, but consistent and efficient; son of a coach with a strong basketball IQ; averaged 18 and 10 in the SEC; excels on the glass, especially on the offensive end; not much of risk – success not based on potential, but productivity; not very tall (6-9) for a PF, but incredible lower body strength; dropped from 9 percent body fat to 3 percent since college season ended; not a smooth shooting stroke; average free throw shooter; great finisher around the rim; solid passing ability and plays unselfishly.

J.J. Hickson – 6-9, 242 – Born: September 4, 1988 (Atlanta, GA) –
College: NC State – As a freshman at NC State, played big in country’s toughest conference; already developed physically – strong upper and extremely strong lower body for 19-year-old; prefers to play with his back to the basket, but can also knock down the 18-footer; tough matchup because of his combination of strength and quickness; nice array of moves under the basket; has drawn comparisons to Al Harrington; at 6-9, relatively small for a PF; doesn’t have great mechanics and questionable hands; not much of a left-hand at this point – a concern for a player who likes the action close to the basket; potential to be an excellent rebounder.

Serge Ibaka – 6-10, 228 – Born: September 19, 1989 (Congo) –
Team: LHospitalet – Freakish athleticism – which has been described as “breathtaking” – and NBA-ready frame at 19; had reputation as unwilling to mix it up in the post, but has quelled concerns during pre-draft workouts; off-the-charts length and leaping ability; great hustle for a big man, although stamina is a concern; graceful, flexible and powerful; considered by some the most intriguing prospect in the Draft; teams are wary of young African players who lack experience, but Ibaka is already showing a better skill-set than players like DeSagana Diop or Saer Sene; raw, but very enticing to teams at the bottom of the first round.

Cavs.com (http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/draft_powerforward_080623.html)

Sbank
06-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Cavaliers JJ Hickson

dbroncos78087
06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Is Hickson a good pick, i dont know much about him. ESPN says his problem is work ethic.

Buckwheat
06-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I really wanted Arthur or Koufos.. :sigh:

EdTheRevelator
06-26-2008, 09:28 PM
That's a bit of a letdown. Maybe he won't suck.

Sbank
06-26-2008, 09:35 PM
I really wanted Arthur or Koufos.. :sigh:

Arthur would of been my pick but it not a real terrible pick. His stats aren't that bad.

Year League Name GP Min Pts FG FGA FG% FTM FTA FT% 3Pt 3PtA 3P% Off Def TOT Asts Stls Blks TOs PFs
2007/08 NCAA J.J. Hickson 31 28.7 14.8 5.3 8.9 59.1 4.3 6.3 67.7 0.0 0.0 0.0 2.6 5.9 8.5 1.0 0.7 1.5 2.7 1.9

jque1
06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Here we go again.:mad:I can not understand what we are doing:bang:
I would have prefered Kufos, or Donte Greene. We need some help inside, but we need some offense.:crazy:

Morethanmo
06-26-2008, 09:58 PM
This pick really surprised me. I thought Ferry had the guy he wanted when Koufos fell, so I'm surprised we went another way. Everything I read suggested Koufos was the guy if he fell. Hickson might turn out to be a good pick, but if we wanted a power forward, why not take Arthur, a proven player and more athletic scorer? No one knows now how he'll turn out, but 6-9 is small to try to bully people in the post in the NBA, which is what most of his game was in college. That worries me. And Hickson doesn't have much of a face-up game. That worries me too. One the other hand, he should be a decent banger and rebounder from day 1 and could contribute sooner than Koufos would, so that's a plus since we're trying to win now. Also, with another rebounding PF on the roster, that frees up Varejao even more in the trade market. Hopefully Ferry's got something on the table to bring in that 2nd scorer...

IndiansFan337
06-26-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm very surprised we passed on Koufos, but this most likely signals the end of Varejao's days as a Cavalier...And btw, not to put any extra pressure on Hickson, but if he doesn't pan out we are going to have no good big men in about 3 years. :speechless: Because Smith, Wallace & Z will all be nearly done by then...

Talm
06-27-2008, 12:54 PM
That being said, Ferry did not set the bar extremely high.

"If he develops," the general manager said, "he has a chance to be a very solid rotational player in the league in a position that's tough to fill."

Inspiring words. Glad to know our GM has such faith in his pick. If we don't end up trading this bum away for someone who might actually help this team win we better start putting our faith in the Browns to bring this city a championship, because Lebron will be on the first train out of town.

Sbank
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm very surprised we passed on Koufos, but this most likely signals the end of Varejao's days as a Cavalier...And btw, not to put any extra pressure on Hickson, but if he doesn't pan out we are going to have no good big men in about 3 years. :speechless: Because Smith, Wallace & Z will all be nearly done by then...

Yeah we be screwed if we this guy doesn't develop. Hopefully we can trade Smith for a younger pf since he is has an expiring contract.

IndiansFan337
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah we be screwed if we this guy doesn't develop. Hopefully we can trade Smith for a younger pf since he is has an expiring contract.

We definitely should look into that....

Sbank
06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I found this interesting

Cleveland Cavaliers Grade: A-
Round 1: J. J. Hickson (19)

Round 2: Darnell Jackson (52), Sasha Kaun (56)

Analysis: Hickson has been one of my sleepers in the draft. He has an NBA body and great athleticism, and he can play inside and out. His game needs to develop, but the raw tools are impressive. He could be a nice long-term replacement for Joe Smith. At No. 19, he was one of the few players left on the board with a chance of being a great player.

And according to John Hollinger's statistical formula, Jackson is one the biggest sleepers in the draft. As for Kaun, he'll be playing pro ball in Russia next year.

espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-080627)

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 09:30 PM
When do we work a contract out with him? or did we already?

Sbank
07-11-2008, 12:31 AM
When do we work a contract out with him? or did we already?

We signed him just yesterday.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed first-round pick J.J. Hickson to a contract. Terms were not disclosed.
The Cavs selected Hickson with the 19th overall pick in the draft, but he's going to have a playing time crisis on his hands playing behind guys named LeBron and Big Ben, to name a few.

rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NBA&majteam=CLE)

x_notorious
07-13-2008, 11:52 PM
CLEVELAND, OH - July 10th, 2008 - The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed forward J.J. Hickson to a contract, Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry announced today. Per team and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Cavaliers selected Hickson with the 19th overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft. Hickson, 19, earned ACC All-Freshman Team honors and was named Honorable Mention All-Conference after averaging 14.8 points on a conference-best .591 shooting and 8.5 rebounds per game. He led all ACC freshmen in scoring, rebounding and double-doubles (10) and also earned ACC Rookie of the Week honors on three occasions. The 6-foot-9, 242-pound forward set an ACC single-game freshman record with 23 rebounds versus Clemson on Feb. 16. He scored in double figures in 25 of 31 career games, including seven games with 20 or more points.

Link (http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/jjhickson_contract_080710.html)