PDA

View Full Version : 9 in a row... are they for real?

chinese_man_77
07-13-2008, 10:57 PM
the mets have won 9 straight game including 4 shutouts in the last 6 games. they also have set a record of 5 straight games with 3 hits or less, and have had a team batting average of .315. the mets are now .5 games behind the phillies with a record of 51-44.

Are these the real Mets, or is it a fluke?

WOwolfOL
07-13-2008, 11:02 PM
I think so.

Pelfrey's had a beastly july so far, and aside from 2 less-than-stellar starts over his last 10 or so, he's really come around.

Reyes is up to an 850 OPS, which is very impressive. He's the key to their success (and Tatis, lmao) - If he keeps rolling, they should prolly take the east.

dcannon456
07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
ehh as a mets fan i hate answering question threads about my team on the MLB forum. but **** it im here so i might as well! i really think they've turned a corner, the bullpen isnt blowing up.

thats all im going to say

chinese_man_77
07-13-2008, 11:25 PM
ehh as a mets fan i hate answering question threads about my team on the MLB forum. but **** it im here so i might as well! i really think they've turned a corner, the bullpen isnt blowing up.

thats all im going to say

Jerry manuel has done a great job managing the bullpen, knowing when to rest certain pitchers. he has put together a system where pitchers will be put in during the right situation. everyone seem to learn their role and have looked much more confident.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I just hope to God they are not peaking now.

jetsfan89
07-13-2008, 11:32 PM
i was at the game today. they look for real man. pelfrey was ****ing dealing.

chinese_man_77
07-13-2008, 11:34 PM
i saw pelfrey pitch against lincecum and he looked more confident than anyone else on that field. i think hes the real deal for a long time.

One Nut Kruk
07-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Who knows? People were picking Arizona to stroll to the World Series after 35-40 games. Where are they now? I think the Mets are a good team but it won't be easy with Philly in the way.

ThatTomGuy
07-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Possibly.

They've always had the best pitching in the division, but not the best line up.

Their line up is probably just on a hot streak (because we've seen them both hot and cold before), but the pitching is certainly the real deal.

I'm more curious to what will happen to the Mets if an injury befalls Pedro again, or if Oli Perez goes cold again. Up until they all got healthy again, they weren't getting it done.

Furthermore, will the bullpen continue to perform as it has recently? Nearly blowing a 10-2 game on Monday certainly can't be reassuring, but their performance has been good during the time since.

I think they'll continue to compete, but I don't see them staying this hot until the end of the season. I don't necessarily expect a huge drop off at some point, but it's likely that somewhere along the line something will change (as things out of everyone's control usually do).

What we need to understand, is that while their recent victories have been very good, the teams that they've won against are not exactly superior teams. Two-Thirds of the streak has been against the Giants and the Rockies, who are teams that are struggling right now, in an already struggling NL West.

Not to diminish their efforts (as the other third of this streak was against the Phillies), but after facing the Reds in a four game series, it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next three series. They have to play the Phillies, Marlins and Cardinals.

The only thing they might want to note, is that the Phillies (speaking specifically about this particular nucleus), has always been a second-half team. No one can predict the future, but with the All-Star break threatening to break momentum, they need to try and keep pace at all costs.

chinese_man_77
07-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Who knows? People were picking Arizona to stroll to the World Series after 35-40 games. Where are they now? I think the Mets are a good team but it won't be easy with Philly in the way.

ofcourse philly is going to contend, but the mets have put together 9 straight wins without their normal lineup. no castillo, alou, or church, but then again, you cant really expect any of them to come back. (other mentions trot nixon, angel pagan)

the difference i think between the mets and the phillies is the pitching. the mets have way more depth than the phillies and to be honest, and i see their offense as being even.

with the all star game coming at the absolute worst time for the mets, i guess the true test is to see if they can keep it going when baseball resumes on thursday

Kenny
07-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Possibly.

Their line up is probably just on a hot streak (because we've seen them both hot and cold before), but the pitching is certainly the real deal.

I'm more curious to what will happen to the Mets if an injury befalls Pedro again, or if Oli Perez goes cold again. Up until they all got healthy again, they weren't getting it done.

Furthermore, will the bullpen continue to perform as it has recently? Nearly blowing a 10-2 game on Monday certainly can't be reassuring, but their performance has been good during the time since.

I think they'll continue to compete, but I don't see them staying this hot until the end of the season. I don't necessarily expect a huge drop off at some point, but it's likely that somewhere along the line something will change (as things out of everyone's control usually do).

What we need to understand, is that while their recent victories have been very good, the teams that they've won against are not exactly superior teams. Two-Thirds of the streak has been against the Giants and the Rockies, who are teams that are struggling right now, in an already struggling NL West.

Not to diminish their efforts (as the other third of this streak was against the Phillies), but after facing the Reds in a four game series, it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next three series. They have to play the Phillies, Marlins and Cardinals.

The only thing they might want to note, is that the Phillies (speaking specifically about this particular nucleus), has always been a second-half team. No one can predict the future, but with the All-Star break threatening to break momentum, they need to try and keep pace at all costs.

You realize the Mets have the best record against teams above .500 in all of baseball.

chinese_man_77
07-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Possibly.

the mets bullpen has thrown 20 consecutive shut out innings only allowing 2 hits.

the mets august schedule is also their easiest of the year for them, and with the way theyve showed they can play, i find it hard to see the phillies or the marlins hold on during that stretch.

Theriot2
07-13-2008, 11:49 PM
I think it will come down to the Mets and the Phillies to decide who wins the NL East

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-13-2008, 11:51 PM
If Pelfrey keeps beasting it....The Mets will take this division

One Nut Kruk
07-13-2008, 11:52 PM
ofcourse philly is going to contend, but the mets have put together 9 straight wins without their normal lineup. no castillo, alou, or church, but then again, you cant really expect any of them to come back. (other mentions trot nixon, angel pagan)

the difference i think between the mets and the phillies is the pitching. the mets have way more depth than the phillies and to be honest, and i see their offense as being even.

with the all star game coming at the absolute worst time for the mets, i guess the true test is to see if they can keep it going when baseball resumes on thursday

That I can't agree with.

Tragedy
07-13-2008, 11:53 PM
If Pelfrey keeps beasting it....The Mets will take this division
And that's such a big if.

I'm also really curious to see how Pedro does the rest of the season. If he can stay healthy and do at least a GOOD job starting, then they'll be put in a VERY good place.

Run Gardner Run
07-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Well the Phillies have been seriously struggling while the Mets have been running wild. I would say the Phillies are still the favorites because its possible this is the peak for the Mets. But its not like the Mets will lose the division by 10 games, it will be more like 1 game or 2. Is Pedro going to be healthy for the rest of the season? Will El duque be back? Is this the real Pelfrey? My guess is if they make the playoffs its ONLY because Santana and Wright and enormous 2nd halves and thats very possible

dcannon456
07-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Well the Phillies have been seriously struggling while the Mets have been running wild. I would say the Phillies are still the favorites because its possible this is the peak for the Mets. But its not like the Mets will lose the division by 10 games, it will be more like 1 game or 2. Is Pedro going to be healthy for the rest of the season? Will El duque be back? Is this the real Pelfrey? My guess is if they make the playoffs its ONLY because Santana and Wright and enormous 2nd halves and thats very possible

santana cant do much better than he has. if he kicks it up a knotch he'd be throwing perfect games lol.

chinese_man_77
07-14-2008, 12:05 AM
well el duque at this point is useless unless the mets have a major injury in the rotation.

dcannon456
07-14-2008, 12:05 AM
That I can't agree with.

i see them as two completely different types of offense! both can get the job done

chinese_man_77
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
i see them as two completely different types of offense! both can get the job done

agreed, they both can put up a ton of runs in a hurry.

ThatTomGuy
07-14-2008, 12:12 AM
You realize the Mets have the best record against teams above .500 in all of baseball.

Records indicate nothing on future games. As I said, no one can predict the future, and I'm sure that last year they had a good record against teams over .500 as well, but that did them nothing in the end.

I wasn't saying they can't play with the big boys, but they've got to grind it out against the division for most of the time.

Within the NL, they have 13 wins against teams above .500 (Philly, Florida, and STL), while the Phillies have 11 wins against the same teams with the Mets in the Phillies spots. You have to understand that if your sole reasoning for backing up the fact that they beat bad teams is because of that, there isn't much to go on. The Mets have a better record in inter league play, but considering they don't have any more games set in AL parks or against AL teams, a 9-6 record is meaningless.

Again, I wasn't trying to diminish the streak; it's impressive, but to act like this streak will predict the future after they've been extremely inconsistent up until now, is just silly. When we hit the momentum reset of the All-Star break, there's nothing we can do but speculate, and wait until regulation games start up again. For what you said, they should sweep Cincinatti, but after last year (and I'm not trying to rub it in, seriously), you have to understand that there is some reason to believe that they will do the same again. In the Phils case, the past has shown that they do well in the 2nd half of the season.

It's all speculation, but the way things have been going for the Mets lately, have been perfect. Things may not be so in the second half for them (or the Phillies for that matter).

chinese_man_77
07-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Records indicate nothing on future games. As I said, no one can predict the future, and I'm sure that last year they had a good record against teams over .500 as well, but that did them nothing in the end.

I wasn't saying they can't play with the big boys, but they've got to grind it out against the division for most of the time.

Within the NL, they have 13 wins against teams above .500 (Philly, Florida, and STL), while the Phillies have 11 wins against the same teams with the Mets in the Phillies spots. You have to understand that if your sole reasoning for backing up the fact that they beat bad teams is because of that, there isn't much to go on. The Mets have a better record in inter league play, but considering they don't have any more games set in AL parks or against AL teams, a 9-6 record is meaningless.

Again, I wasn't trying to diminish the streak; it's impressive, but to act like this streak will predict the future after they've been extremely inconsistent up until now, is just silly. When we hit the momentum reset of the All-Star break, there's nothing we can do but speculate, and wait until regulation games start up again. For what you said, they should sweep Cincinatti, but after last year (and I'm not trying to rub it in, seriously), you have to understand that there is some reason to believe that they will do the same again. In the Phils case, the past has shown that they do well in the 2nd half of the season.

It's all speculation, but the way things have been going for the Mets lately, have been perfect. Things may not be so in the second half for them (or the Phillies for that matter).

well put, thursday is a start of a new season, anything can happen. one thing to keep in mind is that the schedules for the phillies seem to be much harder then the mets in the 2nd half. This might not be the case is some of those teams who are doing terrible finally turn it on.

One Nut Kruk
07-14-2008, 12:19 AM

I didn't say the Mets had a bad offense but it isn't equal to the Phils.

Gmen824
07-14-2008, 12:35 AM
i was at this last game, 7-0, lets GO WERE ****ING FOREAL!

Lady's Man
07-14-2008, 12:40 AM
hell nah. the mets will choke again and da ATL will come trough this time. the A train always gets some extra steam in august and this year we gonna be rolling down da tracks with no breaks.. we be murkin any team that be gettin in our way..

Run Gardner Run
07-14-2008, 12:42 AM

These are the fans I feel bad for the most when a collapse like last year happens. So chipper, you cant not feel bad. My best friend is a huge Met fan, and I went with him to the game friday night, and the whole stadium was so tense. I wore my Chamberlain Jersey and hat, and last year I would have gotten booed all night even though IMO were not rivals of the Mets. But I would have thought I would have gotten some response with the Mets having a 6 game winning streak at that point

Kenny
07-14-2008, 02:54 AM
I didn't say the Mets had a bad offense but it isn't equal to the Phils.

When you play in a little league stadium it helps your numbers.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Yes! They will win it all! I said this at the beging and im sticking with my pick. The Mets are for real.

psurulesyou
07-14-2008, 03:34 AM
When you play in a little league stadium it helps your numbers.

Whose stadium
Shea or phillies

Run Gardner Run
07-14-2008, 03:39 AM
Whose stadium
Shea or phillies

As a Met fan I would hope you wouldnt think he means Shea considering Shea is very much a pitchers park

DamnGoat
07-14-2008, 04:00 AM
Should be a nice race b/t the Mets and Phillies down the stretch.

Mets have a better rotation, but the Phils offense is better.

Kinda hard to pick b/t these two since they're pretty even talent wise, but I think the Phillies are a slightly better team and will win out in the end.

CaughtInAHustle
07-14-2008, 04:08 AM
if the mets play their cards right... jerry manuel for president

viktor06
07-14-2008, 05:09 AM
I still think both Phillies and Mets will get to the postseason, both will win over 90 and it will be enough for WC

johnnylee722
07-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Mets are hot right now but its not just their winning games. Its the way they are winning. With great hitting, great starting, great bullpen and great defense. Team is playing great but obviously it won't last. Its just how they recover after the lost a few games in a row.

torontocubs
07-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Not really a fan of the mets, but watching that game on Sunday Night Baseball last night was a really good game for the Mets. If they want to stand a chance taking the division, I think their solution was the guy that was standing on the mound. If the back end of their rotation like Pelfrey, Perez, Pedro can continue to post quality starts, than they stand a decent chance. But if that rotation continues to be as rocky as it has been in the first half, I think it will very easily go to the Phils, simply because they are stronger offensively, and also appear to be much more active on the trade market in efforts to strengthen their rotation.

johnnylee722
07-14-2008, 08:42 AM

haha so was I. You see that kid in the upper deck running around and started that huge wave? hahaha

johnnylee722
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
And that's such a big if.

I'm also really curious to see how Pedro does the rest of the season. If he can stay healthy and do at least a GOOD job starting, then they'll be put in a VERY good place.

Its not like Pelfrey is a flash in the pan. His been their top pitching prospect for the past like 3 years. He has very good stuff and could be their future ace.

LeeWrightQuinn
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
the mets bullpen has grown into maybe the best in the NL and with their timely hitting and solid defense i think they are in better shape going down the stretch than phili. not 2 mention pelfry is a beast n johan gets better every start

rriders9
07-14-2008, 10:17 AM
If Pelfrey can keep up what hes done lately the mets are in a good position to take the division this year

The Schmooze
07-14-2008, 10:25 AM
I think its going to come down to the last few games between the Phils and Mets.

The Mets will get hot and go up a couple games, then the Phils will get hot and go up a couple games(and all the bandwagon Met fans will go crazy). Its going to be a batlle until the end...and it should be. Thats good baseball

johnnylee722
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm looking forward to some great baseball between the Mets and Phillies in the 2nd half.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
If you guys could just come along and beat the **** out of Milwaukee and STL on the way I'd appreciate it :)

ThisIsTheYear
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
haha so was I. You see that kid in the upper deck running around and started that huge wave? hahaha

Some of those waves were pretty intense. That one where the whole entire stadium did it was crazy.

The Schmooze
07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Some of those waves were pretty intense. That one where the whole entire stadium did it was crazy.

the wave is a disgrace to everything baseball.

ThisIsTheYear
07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
If you guys could just come along and beat the **** out of Milwaukee and STL on the way I'd appreciate it :)

We have a series with STL soon, so no problem. ;)

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
the wave is a disgrace to everything in professional sports.

fixed

The Schmooze
07-14-2008, 11:11 AM
fixed

thank you. It was cool in '93, but nobody wants to see that garbage, especially when their team is losing

joey623pr
07-14-2008, 11:15 AM
the mets are for real and you philly fans better pray to the baseball gods that we dont get our hands on a corner outfileder (jason bay, x nady) we will run with the divison.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Fluke.

Phillies are playing like **** right now, and the Mets are playing out of there minds.

Ryan Howard is starting to heat up, Rollins the last few games, Victorino, etc.

Have fun while it lasts Mets fans, because the only real team in this division are the Phillies.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 11:17 AM
the mets are for real and you philly fans better pray to the baseball gods that we dont get our hands on a corner outfileder (jason bay, x nady) we will run with the divison.

Wow really? I mean come on now one corner OFer doesn't crown you ****. You need Pedro to stay healthy. Perez to pitch like good Perez. Delgado to stay healthy. Your BP to pitch like it has been recently. Way to many ?'s to declare.

Fluke.

Phillies are playing like **** right now, and the Mets are playing out of there minds.

Have fun while it lasts Mets fans, because the only real team in this division are the Phillies.

Today is Homer monday in the MLB forum. Seriously I would love to see the braves make an amazing comeback :p

The Schmooze
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Fluke.

you guys playing poorly at the right time has helped us, and obviously we wont go 60-0 for the rest of the season, but the Mets HAVE looked like a totally different team. No way you can say its NOT a two-horse race.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
you guys playing poorly at the right time has helped us, and obviously we wont go 60-0 for the rest of the season, but the Mets HAVE looked like a totally different team. No way you can say its NOT a two-horse race.

I never said that the Mets weren't going to be competing with the Phillies in my post.
I clearly said that we are the only real team in this division, meaning that when it counts we get it done.
I think it will be tight to the wire until early September, I have a feeling we are going to pull away around there.

And to Cubs- How am I being a homer here? We are in first play you know, no doubting that one.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I never said that the Mets weren't going to be competing with the Phillies in my post.
I clearly said that we are the only real team in this division, meaning that when it counts we get it done.
I think it will be tight to the wire until early September, I have a feeling we are going to pull away around there.

And to Cubs- How am I being a homer here? We are in first play you know, no doubting that one.

How are you the only "real" team? You're .5 up on the Mets and only 1.5 up on the Marlins. Sure you have the best offense thats no doubt but your pitching should probably scare you more than it does the opposing team.

Hell the cubs have the best record in the majors, best run differential, best pitching staff in the NL but I dont consider us the only real team in our division thats just dumb

The Schmooze
07-14-2008, 11:39 AM

no you said the "only real team" in the East is the Phils, implying its a one-team race...

OK when it counts you got it done...last year...and the Mets did the year before that. Its a new year so as I said it will come down to the wire between our 2 teams

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
the mets have won 9 straight game including 4 shutouts in the last 6 games. they also have set a record of 5 straight games with 3 hits or less, and have had a team batting average of .315. the mets are now .5 games behind the phillies with a record of 51-44.

Are these the real Mets, or is it a fluke?

The Mets have the BEST starting rotation in the NL East. Pitching Wins in the Playoffs. They R for ReaL.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
07-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Anyone denying that it is not a 2 team, maybe even 3 team race is either
A)A Homer
B)Sucking Utely's dong
C)Smokin some serious ****

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
no you said the "only real team" in the East is the Phils, implying its a one-team race...

OK when it counts you got it done...last year...and the Mets did the year before that. Its a new year so as I said it will come down to the wire between our 2 teams

Great Pitching Shuts down Great offense. The Mets have had 4 shutouts in their last 6 pitching apperances. All the Phillies have is a bandbox yard, a great offense Cole Hammels and Brad Lidge. Thats it the rotation is TRASH.. nobody really in the bullpen to get the ball to lidge and IM sorry but your gonna have to shoot higher then AJ Burnett to even match the Mets Starting rotation. It's all about pitching down the stretch and the Phils don' t got it.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Great Pitching Shuts down Great offense. The Mets have had 4 shutouts in their last 6 pitching apperances. All the Phillies have is a bandbox yard, a great offense Cole Hammels and Brad Lidge. Thats it the rotation is TRASH.. nobody really in the bullpen to get the ball to lidge and IM sorry but your gonna have to shoot higher then AJ Burnett to even match the Mets Starting rotation. It's all about pitching down the stretch and the Phils don' t got it.

I actually meant to quote the Phillie Die hard my bad. Nothing Against you Schmooze, I tottally agree with you .

Tragedy
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
The Mets have the BEST starting rotation in the NL East. Pitching Wins in the Playoffs. They R for ReaL.
Well, that's hold off on that. They're on an impressive run, but lets wait and see if they can continue being a good pitching staff before they're knighted as the best in the East (Though, that wouldn't be an overly impressive honor, would it?).

I'm interested in seeing if Pedro can put together any type of success. If he can do that, then I'll say the Mets are far and away the best pitching staff in the East.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 12:01 PM

You really can't say that. The playoffs are all about the hot streak and are a huge crapshoot. Sure a dominant pitching staff is nice to have but it doesn't "shut down" good offense. And the Mets rotation has questions in itself
1. Johan, obviously a legit Ace but whats his run support at? For some reason there are pitchers that just never get it no matter how well they pitch. My best example off the top of my head is Rich Hill last year for the cubs he had great numbers last year BUT had the lowest run support in the majors IIRC.

2.Maine after being around a little bit you know what your going to get from him and thats a decent #3

3. Perez.....he could be the biggest mystery in baseball. I mean he's got more emotion than Zambrano. If he can't settle down and at leave pitch decent then its going to be a rouch year for him and you guys if Pedro goes down. Hell he only has 1 fewer BB than the NL leader.

4. Pelfrey...dont know too much about him but his numbers aren't bad but can his arm take the 200IP?

5. Pedro....Already one DL stint had to leave his last start early haven't pitched like the fireballer we know to be Pedro.

So yeah thats a solid rotation but to say its great and would shut down great offenses is a stretch.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, that's hold off on that. They're on an impressive run, but lets wait and see if they can continue being a good pitching staff before they're knighted as the best in the East (Though, that wouldn't be an overly impressive honor, would it?).

I'm interested in seeing if Pedro can put together any type of success. If he can do that, then I'll say the Mets are far and away the best pitching staff in the East.

Name 1 rotation close?? Johan, Pedro,Maine,Perez,Pelfrey. Phillies is NOWHERE close to that and the Marlins have some nice young studs, but this year are they bettter then the Mets staff.? noway. Name one with Johans track record on the marlins. Name 2 that have pitched in BIG games like Maine and Perez. Name any that have a world series ring like Pedro. that Staff sounds pretty balanced to me. Exspecially when your 5th has a great sinker and has only allowed 4 hrs all year to lead the Majors in Mike Pelfrey. You will see by the end of the year man. And it's not that it has to be an impressive honor or not, it means PITCHING BEATS HITTING. And to win the east I will take the better pitching staff over Phillies offense. I like the Marlins but not down the stretch next year def this year no. It's really down to the Mets and the Phillies (2 teams with actual playoff experiance) and I if you think the Phillies have a better roatation then the Mets your crazy.

ThatTomGuy
07-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there:

Phillies' runs scored Away and at Home are almost the same. Yes, it's a bandbox, we've heard it a million times, but it's no handicap. As I mentioned before, there one of three teams that have positive road records.

Seriously, a streak is exciting and everything, but I don't see why everyone is getting worked up.

The Mets are essentially tied with the Phils, which is probably what everyone expected.

We've got the whole second half to play, so it's pointless to crown anyone yet.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 12:15 PM
You really can't say that. The playoffs are all about the hot streak and are a huge crapshoot. Sure a dominant pitching staff is nice to have but it doesn't "shut down" good offense. And the Mets rotation has questions in itself
1. Johan, obviously a legit Ace but whats his run support at? For some reason there are pitchers that just never get it no matter how well they pitch. My best example off the top of my head is Rich Hill last year for the cubs he had great numbers last year BUT had the lowest run support in the majors IIRC.

2.Maine after being around a little bit you know what your going to get from him and thats a decent #3

3. Perez.....he could be the biggest mystery in baseball. I mean he's got more emotion than Zambrano. If he can't settle down and at leave pitch decent then its going to be a rouch year for him and you guys if Pedro goes down. Hell he only has 1 fewer BB than the NL leader.

4. Pelfrey...dont know too much about him but his numbers aren't bad but can his arm take the 200IP?

5. Pedro....Already one DL stint had to leave his last start early haven't pitched like the fireballer we know to be Pedro.

So yeah thats a solid rotation but to say its great and would shut down great offenses is a stretch.

Johan will get his run support don't worry.
Pedro's only dl stint was a hammy(not shoulder surgery or toe or anyoff that crapp) and Pedros been getting better each start. give him time, he will be their when it counts down the stretch, he's not a youngster anymore he can't just come running out of the shoot pitching 7innings and have 10 k's anymore, he was out for a year and half.
Perez is improving same goes for Pelfrey our future ace. Reminds me of Brandon Webb with all the ground balls he gets and the flyball ratio. Great sinker. but Warthen is the guy that help Perez in the minors when he came over and seems to have Ollie settled down on the mound. He's pitched 3 straight Gems agiainst who?? Yankees, Phillies and Rockies.
We don't need 200 innings out of Pelfrey. and yeah pitching ALWAYS wins in the playoffs.. Name 5 high scoring blowouts from last years playoffs?? YOu can';t I bet you could name more low scoring games? and of course when you got the Phils and the Rockies it's gonna be all offense they have no pitching and monster offfense and both parks the ball flys out off.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there:

Phillies' runs scored Away and at Home are almost the same. Yes, it's a bandbox, we've heard it a million times, but it's no handicap. As I mentioned before, there one of three teams that have positive road records.

Seriously, a streak is exciting and everything, but I don't see why everyone is getting worked up.

The Mets are essentially tied with the Phils, which is probably what everyone expected.

We've got the whole second half to play, so it's pointless to crown anyone yet.

Cuz the Phills have no Pitching. There rumors going around about AJ Burnett, but even with him do they matchup against the Mets pitching? which before the season everybody was calling not jsut the best in the east but maybe the best in teh whole NL?? (remember begining of season before cc or harden trade) Philles pitching is horrible so while the Mets are scoring on their little leaguers they throw out there, Our pitching will keep the offense in check.
The red Sox steam rolled through the playoffs last year cuz they had the best staff.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Cuz the Phills have no Pitching. There rumors going around about AJ Burnett, but even with him do they matchup against the Mets pitching? which before the season everybody was calling not jsut the best in the east but maybe the best in teh whole NL?? (remember begining of season before cc or harden trade) Philles pitching is horrible so while the Mets are scoring on their little leaguers they throw out there, Our pitching will keep the offense in check.
The red Sox steam rolled through the playoffs last year cuz they had the best staff.

Oh and the Phillies where knocked out the 1st round cuz they had no pitching. How did the Sox take out the Rockies?? they had the better staff. even if the Phills make the playoffs they will be alot like last year, 1 and done.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Oh and the Phillies where knocked out the 1st round cuz they had no pitching. How did the Sox take out the Rockies?? they had the better staff. even if the Phills make the playoffs they will be alot like last year, 1 and done.

Try because we couldn't score?

We lost the last game 2-1, and was that our pitching?

Either way, we have the best Bullpen in the league, and we all know what you'll get out of Cole Hamels.

Jamie Moyer is going to be a 16 win guy with around a 4 ERA

Kyle Kendrick will be the same, possibly around a 3.8 ERA

Then you have Eaton, who probably won't pitch again for us.

Myers has worked down some stuff in the minors, and only has givin up 1 homerun.

JA Happ or a player we could get in freeagency could fill Eatons hole.

Why everyone is saying our pitching is horrible obviousally doesn't know baseball, considering the bullpen is just as important as the starting pitching.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Try because we couldn't score?

We lost the last game 2-1, and was that our pitching?

Either way, we have the best Bullpen in the league, and we all know what you'll get out of Cole Hamels.

Jamie Moyer is going to be a 16 win guy with around a 4 ERA

Kyle Kendrick will be the same, possibly around a 3.8 ERA

Then you have Eaton, who probably won't pitch again for us.

Myers has worked down some stuff in the minors, and only has givin up 1 homerun.

JA Happ or a player we could get in freeagency could fill Eatons hole.

Why everyone is saying our pitching is horrible obviousally doesn't know baseball, considering the bullpen is just as important as the starting pitching.

Pretty much a crap shoot ouside of Hammels. Myers is a garbage, maybe if he focused on pitcing instead of beating his wife he might have lived up to his potential. You will seee, Phils will faulter this year.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Johan will get his run support don't worry.
Pedro's only dl stint was a hammy(not shoulder surgery or toe or anyoff that crapp) and Pedros been getting better each start. give him time, he will be their when it counts down the stretch, he's not a youngster anymore he can't just come running out of the shoot pitching 7innings and have 10 k's anymore, he was out for a year and half.
Perez is improving same goes for Pelfrey our future ace. Reminds me of Brandon Webb with all the ground balls he gets and the flyball ratio. Great sinker. but Warthen is the guy that help Perez in the minors when he came over and seems to have Ollie settled down on the mound. He's pitched 3 straight Gems agiainst who?? Yankees, Phillies and Rockies.
We don't need 200 innings out of Pelfrey. and yeah pitching ALWAYS wins in the playoffs.. Name 5 high scoring blowouts from last years playoffs?? YOu can';t I bet you could name more low scoring games? and of course when you got the Phils and the Rockies it's gonna be all offense they have no pitching and monster offfense and both parks the ball flys out off.

Lets just take a look at some match ups from last year
Cubs Team ERA 4.04 OPS .754
Dbacks Team ERA 4.13 OPS .734
Hm well since the cubs had the better staff and offense they should have won right? no got swept

Dbacks ERA 4.13 OPS .734
Rockies ERA 4.32 OPS .197

Since the dbacks had better pitching they should have won? Wait no they got swept

Playoffs are a crapshoot

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Good point, but what was the Red Sox era the entire playoffs?? They def had the best staff and def won the WS. Phillies are overrated. Because if it's a pitchers duel say like 2-1 I like the mets chances against the phillies. anyways im not gonna run my mouth anymore, im gonna just enjoy the allstar break. Truth will be told Phillies fans you will see.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh and just curious why a cubs fan would even care. Cubs are the 1 team in the NL I fear for the Mets, that would make a great NLCS< but lets get through the all star break first.

Philly4life84
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
U seriously think the mets are for real? 6 of these 8 wins cam from the horridly offensively-challenged teams in the giants and rockies. 2 other wins they almost blew to the Phillies. They blew a 2 run lead with one strike to go and almost blew a 9 run lead with the tying run of second base. They have not been playing good teams and then they play the reds and phillies after the break which will propose a much greater challenge the the giants. They were good at this time last year and lets not forget how that season ended.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Good point, but what was the Red Sox era the entire playoffs?? They def had the best staff and def won the WS. Phillies are overrated. Because if it's a pitchers duel say like 2-1 I like the mets chances against the phillies. anyways im not gonna run my mouth anymore, im gonna just enjoy the allstar break. Truth will be told Phillies fans you will see.

Yeah but if the Rockies hadn't sat that long I think it coulda swayed it. We'll never know but I mean the tear that the Rockies went on at the end of the season went straight through the NLCS then they sat for what a week? Its all about who gets hot

Oh and just curious why a cubs fan would even care. Cubs are the 1 team in the NL I fear for the Mets, that would make a great NLCS< but lets get through the all star break first.

#1 in the majors :p nah just talkin baseball. I get bored at work and its nice to know a little about multiple teams. Plus living in wrigleyville I like to follow around the league so I can see certain players live and what not. Plus this is just semi practice for the debates my cardinal friends and I get in when we come home from the bar or something we love to make bets agaisnt each other on baseball stuff.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
U seriously think the mets are for real? 6 of these 8 wins cam from the horridly offensively-challenged teams in the giants and rockies. 2 other wins they almost blew to the Phillies. They blew a 2 run lead with one strike to go and almost blew a 9 run lead with the tying run of second base. They have not been playing good teams and then they play the reds and phillies after the break which will propose a much greater challenge the the giants. They were good at this time last year and lets not forget how that season ended.

As a Phillies fan you should take that to heart. Dont punch your ticket just yet.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Almost doesn't count. We took 3/4 against the Phillies in Philly. Your own home. that really was a turning point for the Mets. Win's a win rather you almost cough it up or not doen't count we won 3 outta 4 IN PHILLY. Phils won't win 3/4 In NY, won't happen. you will see. See this year is different man for alot of reasons, but the Mets struggled when they were being chase, before last year they were doing the chasing, Im glad the tables are turned this year because the mets won't have a 2nd half like last years. Truth will be Told.

kyubi256
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Rockies have a horrible offense????

ks32
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't worry, we don't need other fans opinions.
Just let the haters hate.
We'll see ya in October :D

D-Amazins
07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Possibly.

The most unbiased philly fan i have EVER seen on these boards :clap:

BRAVE KID
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
battle of the homers got to love the mlb forum, that is where they all come out.

D-Amazins
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
How are you the only "real" team? You're .5 up on the Mets and only 1.5 up on the Marlins. Sure you have the best offense thats no doubt but your pitching should probably scare you more than it does the opposing team.

Hell the cubs have the best record in the majors, best run differential, best pitching staff in the NL but I dont consider us the only real team in our division thats just dumb

not hating or anything, but cubs are overrated, i mean a 22-8 record against the West, can help anyone :D
Just look at the D-Backs, it's what is holding them at first place in that virus infected West.
The Virus: Crappy Teams

Dont get me wrong, you guys have a great team, just not top 3 in baseball and im not saying you said ya did, just wanted to point it out

jetsfan28
07-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I just hope to God they are not peaking now.

Unless they go on an even bigger winning streak later, than theoretically they are peaking now.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
not hating or anything, but cubs are overrated, i mean a 22-8 record against the West, can help anyone :D
Just look at the D-Backs, it's what is holding them at first place in that virus infected West.
The Virus: Crappy Teams

Dont get me wrong, you guys have a great team, just not top 3 in baseball and im not saying you said ya did, just wanted to point it out

Just a question who would you put in front of them? I'd match up our 1-2-3 against any in a 5 games series. Am I saying they'd dominate? No but they could compete and hold their own. The key to their success is that they are leading the majors in OBP and that has helped them to beat some very good pitchers. And limit others to some of their shortest outings. And we've been doing all this with Soriano on his 2nd DL stint.

Edit: Few aces we've beat Haren, Peavy, Halladay, (kazmir's shortest outing of the year 4.2 got a ND)

dcannon456
07-14-2008, 03:13 PM
ok there is so much in here i feel the need to comment on, because i dont feel like anyone is really talking baseball, its more like the size of their dick

1)first and foremost the one that i need to get out of the way is the "phillies are the only real team in the east" thats as homer as it gets and i hope everyone else thought he looked like a fool.

2)id take pitching over offense anyday, but that doesnt always work. if it did the braves would be the dynasty team of the 90s.

3) who the **** just said the rockies have a terrible offense! they are nasty. but what you didnt say, and what would have made you right. was that helton taverez and tulo are all out. which is huge. and they are pretty bad right now.

4)how will cincinati prove a greater challange over at the GAB?

5) everyones saying pelfrey is the deciding factor, but i think thats just residual hype from last night. pedro is by far the biggest question mark. hes "pitching well", yea for a bum! but as ive said. pedro martinez is the last person you can count out.

6) an every day left fielder and church back from the DL in there everyday truly would cement us over the top.

7) too people commenting on the collapse from last year and how the phillies stole our division! you know the mets sucked last year right, you just sucked more for 90% of the season, we were a 500 team for all but 2 months, hell a sub 500 team for two months, and no, that wasnt september, that was mid season. my thought is, maybe the team has finally woken up and decided to start playing baseball. obviously we arent going to go 60-0 but even if we just pput up a 600 winpercentage the rest of the year, i think we can slowly walk out of the division and into the post season while the phillies weak starting rotation faulters and the marlins wonder where the **** they are. and i know the braves can always fire back like we just did to get into the race, but i dont see that happening.

regardless, phillies and mets come back from the allstar break pretty much even, phillies get a .5 game handicap. and theyre gonna need it ;)

Philly4life84
07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Almost doesn't count. We took 3/4 against the Phillies in Philly. Your own home. that really was a turning point for the Mets. Win's a win rather you almost cough it up or not doen't count we won 3 outta 4 IN PHILLY. Phils won't win 3/4 In NY, won't happen. you will see. See this year is different man for alot of reasons, but the Mets struggled when they were being chase, before last year they were doing the chasing, Im glad the tables are turned this year because the mets won't have a 2nd half like last years. Truth will be Told.

Your right they won't take three of four from them in NY because they don't play four games there. They play a three game series next week and the Phillies will win three of three. Also your right almost doesn't count they did win those games im just sayin that if they do it once with that bullpen then there is a very good shot that they will blow leads in the future verse teams who can actually play baseball not the giants or rockies. They didn't struggle cause they were being chased they stuggled cuase they are an old team and they are older this year. Tatis can in no way keep this up same with delgado.

chinese_man_77
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
so far the mets starting era 4.04. the phillies 4.48. marlins 5.18.
offensive batting average mets .264, phillies .257. marlins .256.

the funny thing is the mets have been as slumping almost the entire season and have still managed to put up better numbers.

dcannon456
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Your right they won't take three of four from them in NY because they don't play four games there. They play a three game series next week and the Phillies will win three of three. Also your right almost doesn't count they did win those games im just sayin that if they do it once with that bullpen then there is a very good shot that they will blow leads in the future verse teams who can actually play baseball not the giants or rockies. They didn't struggle cause they were being chased they stuggled cuase they are an old team and they are older this year. Tatis can in no way keep this up same with delgado.

tatis like like 32, hes not going to break down. if you mean hes just not that good of a player and pitchers will adjust thats fine though.

and delgado is right where he was last year if you compare stats of 07 and 08
but hes getting his bat around so much quicker and can actually keep up with a fastball. thats been his only problem until a few weeks ago. the question is, has he figured something out or not. if so, sure pitchers will adjust, but that batspeed was his problem. theyve been saying hes standing further up in the box. but he's not saying hes doing anything different so i dont know, i cant really tell but all i see is solid contact so its working.

dwright3b5
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
As a Met fan im obvioulsy going ot be a believer, but I dont think they will stay as hot as they are, but I deffinately think they are back to their own ways AT THE MOMENT, but that could change in a heartbeat with this team

Kenny
07-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Pelfrey 24, Santana 29, Perez 26-27, Maine 26-27.. How are they older again???

dcannon456
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM

sorry kenny you fail, we are olddddd

Kenny
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
sorry kenny you fail, we are olddddd

The starting pitching staff is not.. And thats been the problem. We got rid of Glavine, El Duque is a non factor now and Pedro is a 5th starter.

dcannon456
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
The starting pitching staff is not.. And thats been the problem. We got rid of Glavine, El Duque is a non factor now and Pedro is a 5th starter.

offense has been just as big of problem this year. just look at santanas record. and hes not the only pitcher thats been jipped.

chicagowhitesox
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't think Manuel had anything to do with it, but they are just now playing to their potential. Wait until the White Sox do the same thing. When Crede and Paulie break out of their slumps... watch out.

IndiansFan337
07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
They're for real. They just started out worse than everyone expected, so all the fans/media started to panic.

Everything will even out in the long run. That's why they play 162 games.

This win streak has got them to where they belong. They probably won't have another 9 game win streak all year long, but they should play .500-.600 ball for the remainder of the year & finish in a tight race with Philadelphia in the NL East.

Degz
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Even as a Phillies fan I think they are for real. Ive said all year that they were underachieving. I knew it was going to be a close race, just didnt expect the Marlins to be in it. Now that they are clicking, the Phils need to get another starter... Fast!

metfan4life775
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Jerry manuel has done a great job managing the bullpen, knowing when to rest certain pitchers. he has put together a system where pitchers will be put in during the right situation. everyone seem to learn their role and have looked much more confident.

that not why the bullpen is doing better. the difference is the bullpen Coach. Petterson mainly wanted them to pitch against the batters weakness which gave the batters an idea of were the ball is gonna be pitched. Now what they changed with petterson gone is that they are pitching to their own strengths and not worrying about the batters and were they can and cannot hit the ball which makes it harder for the batter to no where they are going to be pitched.

metfan4life775
07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Even as a Phillies fan I think they are for real. Ive said all year that they were underachieving. I knew it was going to be a close race, just didnt expect the Marlins to be in it. Now that they are clicking, the Phils need to get another starter... Fast!

just one starter i would think you need another two mabye three

Philly4life84
07-14-2008, 05:06 PM
That's four players.
Pedro Martinez(36)
Wagner(almost37)
Schoenweis(34)
Delgado a very old(36)
Tatis(33)
Anderson(34)
Beltran(31)
Easley(38)
Schneider(31, but he's beat up being a catcher and all)
When I said that they are older this year than they were last year that;'s kinda common sense:clap:

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 05:17 PM
That's four players.
Pedro Martinez(36)
Wagner(almost37)
Schoenweis(34)
Delgado a very old(36)
Tatis(33)
Anderson(34)
Beltran(31)
Easley(38)
Schneider(31, but he's beat up being a catcher and all)
When I said that they are older this year than they were last year that;'s kinda common sense:clap:

Good thing it's not a age competition it's a how you play competiton.
Brian Schneider and Castro are one of the best catching duo's in all of baseball, they are tops in throwing runners out and the cool part is we don't need to play Brian every day. We can rest him for the 2nd half and he is a phillie killer.
And Delgado a very old 36?? you realize he is on pace for another 30hr 100 rbi season?? he's a 2nd half player and is right around his what 240 or 250 something avg he usually has round the all star break. He's only gonna get stronger as the year goes on as long as he doesn't have any freak accidents. He had wrist surgery lil over a year ago and his wrist are getting stronger.he's a career .294 hitter in the 2nd half. Wagner is still one of the best closers in the game and lets see how lidge does once the pressure gets thick again and he has an Albert Puljois hr flashback.

chinese_man_77
07-14-2008, 05:21 PM
mike pelfrey, nl player of the week.

old?

Phillies

So Taguchi 39
Geoff Jenkins 34
Pat Burrell 32
Pedro Feliz 33
J.C. Romero 32
Rudy Seanez 40
Chris Coste 35
Clay Condrey 33
Jamie Moyer 46
Mike Cervenak 32
Brad Lidge 31
Adam Eaton 31

if you ask me, the phillies are also pretty old as well.
mets average age 30.3
phillies average age 30.6

PhillyUD26
07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
just one starter i would think you need another two mabye three

How so?

Myers will be back up after the AS break so that give us
Hamels
Myers
Moyer
Kendrick
Eaton
Happ

Eaton will most likely get dropped for Happ if he has another bad start or two, and if we pick up a guy like Duke or Burnett (really hope its not Burnett) then we'll be fine. Its not like Perez or Martinez are models of consistency, so I'd be content with just getting 1 starter.

Hamels
Duke/Burnett
Myers
Moyer
Kendrick

is fine with me

Philly4life84
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Good thing it's not a age competition it's a how you play competiton.
Brian Schneider and Castro are one of the best catching duo's in all of baseball, they are tops in throwing runners out and the cool part is we don't need to play Brian every day. We can rest him for the 2nd half and he is a phillie killer.
And Delgado a very old 36?? you realize he is on pace for another 30hr 100 rbi season?? he's a 2nd half player and is right around his what 240 or 250 something avg he usually has round the all star break. He's only gonna get stronger as the year goes on as long as he doesn't have any freak accidents. He had wrist surgery lil over a year ago and his wrist are getting stronger.he's a career .294 hitter in the 2nd half. Wagner is still one of the best closers in the game and lets see how lidge does once the pressure gets thick again and he has an Albert Puljois hr flashback.

Wagner has 6 blown saves this season and Lidge already faced Pujos this year and got him out with the game on the line. Pressure the guy has been under pressure the whole year and look how that turned out. While it is true that schneider kills the Phillies we have a met killer(Wagner Killer) of our own in case that slipped your mind, Pat the Bat.
About the whole mets situation though I think that we won't know for a month if they are for real. Teams get hot thats how it is but can they mantain it we'll see. Should be some good dog days ahead of us though.

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 05:37 PM

you saying the Mets struggled down the stretch cuz their old?? How bout Jose Reyes the spark plug who in the first half they were calling MVP then after the break he dissapeared. His avg was horrible he wasn't gettting on base.. That wasn't an age thing that was a huge slump.
See I look @ the series in Philly as a plus, why you ask because Billy Wagner as always sucked in philly since he has been a Met. The fact that he didn't blow it is only a momentum gain in his favor. Defiantley a plus.
And youve gone mad if you think Delgado won't keep it up, he's a career .294 hitter after the break. He will be the Delgado we see in his first season in the Mets and thats all we need. Unless somethign other then his wrist gets in the way he will be fine, and yes his wrist are getting stronger.
Theres no way Philly will take 3 outta 3 against the Mets in NY. Odds are you will see Johan and Oliver who the Phillies stuggle against Lefties both are 2nd half pitchers. Thats why I like the Mets rotation we got 2 lefties to throw @ the phills. Maine is still improving, Pedro is a bit unknown but you can't go by what he has done so far this year other then the fact he's looked healthier. He's been out for a year and half. We will see down the stretch what he will bring. and I love Big Pelf and that nasty sinker. Im looking foward to that series @ shea and lets see how bad the phils reallyare.

rriders9
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Jerry Manuel is not the difference, its the pitching coaches that have worked with the relievers

Brian Webstar
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Wagner has 6 blown saves this season and Lidge already faced Pujos this year and got him out with the game on the line. Pressure the guy has been under pressure the whole year and look how that turned out. While it is true that schneider kills the Phillies we have a met killer(Wagner Killer) of our own in case that slipped your mind, Pat the Bat.
About the whole mets situation though I think that we won't know for a month if they are for real. Teams get hot thats how it is but can they mantain it we'll see. Should be some good dog days ahead of us though.

You must have missed the series in philly Wags even got Pat the bat out. And Lidge has been under no pressure yet, 1st half theres only pressure on the teams that spend alot of money on players to start out quick. We are starting to see what Omar invisoned this year.. To think we have done it with Church hitting the DL twice, Alou a non factor Beltran has been the only OF starter thats been constant. We haven't really seen the offense at it's best yet because Church was Batting .300 and hitting 10 ding dongs while Delgado was struggling, now Delgado is coming around and Church is back on the DL. So yeah Mets haven't peaked yet cuz they have yet to have everybody on the field at the same time. Count out Alou of course, maybe they make a small trade mayby not, but your forgetting how well Angel Pagon was hitting before he went down, so they have internally players to fill the spots, him and Tatis platoon maybe? and don't forget we got Endy Chavez. So maybe they go with what they got,
but my point being the pressure comes in the 2nd half when it counts. this has been just preseason for lidge, but I will give him credit he is picking up where he left off at the end of last season.

JHG722
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
I'll give the Mets props, as much as I hate them.

Philly4life84
07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
mike pelfrey, nl player of the week.

old?

Phillies

So Taguchi 39
Geoff Jenkins 34
Pat Burrell 32
Pedro Feliz 33
J.C. Romero 32
Rudy Seanez 40
Chris Coste 35
Clay Condrey 33
Jamie Moyer 46
Mike Cervenak 32
Brad Lidge 31
Adam Eaton 31

if you ask me, the phillies are also pretty old as well.
mets average age 30.3
phillies average age 30.6

Taguchi is terrible he is not getting much playing time at all, Seanez is fine cause he doesn't rely on speed and only pitches at most one inning, Eaton was reported to have made his last start as a Phillies because he is just terrible and Cervenek has only had one at bat and is only in the bigs temporarily. Jenkins also does not get much playing time.

BkGMen4Life
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
i think easley/reyes is better then castillo. some fine defense have been played recently and i dont think castillo offers much in that department anymore with those knees.

nymetsrule
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I love watching homers fight.

theLgndKllr35
07-14-2008, 10:56 PM
I love watching homers fight.

I know, isn't it precious.

Anyways for that list of old people you might want to try using starting lineups, not bench players like Taguchi, Cervanek, and Jenkins.

Rollins
Utley
Howard
Feliz
Victorino
Werth
Burrell
Coste/Ruiz

It will be a good race, streaking Mets v.s. the best second half team in baseball.

pavel96
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
biggest fluke in baseball, mets are a joke, good end to season last year...

kyubi256
07-14-2008, 11:14 PM

i agree... Mets are a joke. They have a crap team and should just deal Reyes, Wright, Santana, Beltran, Fernando, Pelfrey, etc.

Just deal them all for Mike Sweeney

dcannon456
07-14-2008, 11:17 PM

good grammar you did to post...productive too

NickB79
07-15-2008, 05:06 PM

There goes this **** again saying the mets are a fluke...who is your team? and allegedly the mets arent going to win 70 games he says? I guess it is impossible to win 19 games with 67 games left.:mad:

NickB79
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
good grammar you did to post...productive too

I think he thinks he's Yoda he is:cheers:

L-MiLLZ44
07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
mets suck blah blah blah blah ....... who actually gives a **** with what is said about our team, everyone is biased, i just watch baseball games i don't play them, i root for a jersey and a logo, so ****ing shoot me i'm a mets fan and the team i root for just won 9 straight games ...... **** YEAH

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-15-2008, 06:17 PM
the streak is not over yet...i might have to change my sig soon

L-MiLLZ44
07-15-2008, 06:26 PM
the streak is not over yet...i might have to change my sig soon

never change that sig, it makes me laugh every time i see it :clap: