PDA

View Full Version : LBJ leaving for NYC vs. Browns leaving for Baltimore?

monster_mash
07-13-2008, 10:44 PM
If LBJ leaves(don't think he will) would it be worse than when the Browns left Ctown?

I think it would be. The Cleveland Cavs would probably become the Las Vegas Aces

Clevefan23
07-13-2008, 11:39 PM
yea i think if lebron left all fans would give up on the cavs and the franchise may go under like u said and become a diff team if they dont get a player that can replace him talent wise which there is none.

Sbank
07-14-2008, 12:39 AM
I think the team totally different if LeBron Leaves. I think we a 20 to 25 team wins without of LeBron. I think the fans would not show up unless we signed two super stars in 2010 if LeBron left.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Its actually really hard to say. I wasn't real old at the time of the Browns move so it might not have the same effect as it did on someone living through it. I don't think losing LeBron will mean bye bye Cavaliers. Nothing happens just that fast, Cavs would need probably at least 5 years of bad attendance probably more. Not only that in today's league teams could bounce back so I think the league would give it time.

I am going to have to say Browns leaving even though I was young the Browns were the favored team in Cleveland. The Cavaliers were doing good during those years but the Browns just had the excitement all around them. The Indians as we all know didn't get started till 1994 and really took off from there. More then anything the Browns had the best fan base in Cleveland so it was just devastating to know your favorite team may never come back.My main reason though is that losing LeBron doesn't mean we lose the Cavaliers yes it does increase the chance, but it really just depends on how the franchise bounces back the years following 2010.

Lets just hope in the summer of 2010 we won't need to worry about this.

IndiansFan337
07-14-2008, 08:29 AM
It won't be worse, because we will still have a team....For those that are not fair weather fans...although many are.

But I will say that it will take longer to rebound from losing LeBron (Although I don't think we will in 2010 either) than it did for Cleveland to get their expansion football franchise. I think that took 6 years. We will go longer than that between playoff appearances if LeBron exits town. The only sell-outs the Cavs would get following that year would be when he comes back to town...So that the fans could harass him non-stop.

_Sn1P3r_
07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I think if LeBron leaves and Cavs don't get another young talent, people won't talk about the Cavs franchise as much. LeBron put Cavs on the map when he got here and if he leaves, it won't be the same.

Master P
07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
i am more interested as to whether cleveland can position their contract situation so they they can not only keep lebron, but also make a run at either another star, or some really high quality roll players in 2010.

lebron is an amazing player that can single handedly win not only games, but entire playoff series. the cavs should be less concerned about making weak efforts to win now as they are in building the type of team that lebron can take to multiple championships. this means securing the good young talent (gibson was a nice move) and dumping the old contracts. it'll be a small step backwards for the next two seasons in favour of a huge leap to dynasty level after 2010.

while other cities are concerned about what they can do to attract lebron, james and the cavs have to realize that playing with him during his peak years is the best way to attract free agents to cleveland. now cavs fans just have to hope they dont blow this wave of free agent signings like last time (larry hughes anyone?).

monster_mash
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM
i am more interested as to whether cleveland can position their contract situation so they they can not only keep lebron, but also make a run at either another star, or some really high quality roll players in 2010.

lebron is an amazing player that can single handedly win not only games, but entire playoff series. the cavs should be less concerned about making weak efforts to win now as they are in building the type of team that lebron can take to multiple championships. this means securing the good young talent (gibson was a nice move) and dumping the old contracts. it'll be a small step backwards for the next two seasons in favour of a huge leap to dynasty level after 2010.

while other cities are concerned about what they can do to attract lebron, james and the cavs have to realize that playing with him during his peak years is the best way to attract free agents to cleveland. now cavs fans just have to hope they dont blow this wave of free agent signings like last time (larry hughes anyone?).

Let's see. Wally 13 mil. Amon Ones 4 mil. Joe Smith 5 mil. Varejao 5mil. snow 7 mil. B wallace 17 mil. all free agents b4 or by 2010. As long as we dont dump these contracts for ZACH F"IN RANDOLPH and the like we will be fine in terms of cap room and available bank to add D. Wade or Bosh or whoever is willing to come to CTOWN in order to win multiple rings. Matter of fact I'm pretty sure Z's contract is up same time as LBJ, I'd Have to look. I just think adding a good-doesn't need to be great- player by the trade deadline is the way to go. I've mentioned Josh Childress in other posts. I still like a S&T involving AV and Sasha P for Childress and Speedy Claxton. Claxton is a good back up PG when healthy and his contract would be up in 2010 as well. Childress would be a nice upgrade to have starting at the 2 with Boobie draining treys from the bench spot. Childress is young, long and althetic. He shoots a high percentage(57% this past season) and is strong from the line at 80%. We tend to forget how horrible everyone but Z is from the line.

Sbank
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Really good post. I sure the Cavaliers know that we need a second scoring option and we could get it by trade with Wally, Joe Smith and AV have coming off the book next year. I sure we all know Larry Hughes was a bad move from the signing. We wanted Boozer and he signed with the Jazz. and the only left super star was in him. I think our GM will know from the Hughes sign what superstar can help our team in 2010.

EdTheRevelator
07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Back to the original question, they're entirely different situations; you can't compare them. If LeBron left, it would be through his right to as a free agent - it's the rules of the game, it sucks balls, but he's allowed to do so. Yes, the franchise would lose half its fanbase to fairweather fans, and there would be a lot of bitterness and there is a possibility the franchise wouldn't recover and would eventually relocate.

But the Browns situation is different - they were stolen from us. Art Model tried to strong-arm the city into a new stadium and the city fought back, but he still weasled his way out of town. I'd say that franchise and its fanbase is just now starting to recover from that - finally that sense of pessimism is starting to erode. They left after the 1995 season, and returned in 1999. That's a long time for a franchise to take to recover.

They'd both suck, but I doubt Cleveland gets a second chance on a basketball team.

23LBJCleBrowns
07-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Cleveland is a football city so the browns leaving is a lot a worse than lebron leaving.