PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think we can win more than 47 games this upcoming season?

GSW Hoops
07-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I know it's way way way early, but is there anyone out there who thinks losing Baron and gaining Maggette can improve the team overall?

I think if Monta can run the point decently, we can definitely score more points than last season with a lineup of Biedrins/Harrington/Maggette/Jackson/Ellis. Our bench seems to be coming along, and we should be a better rebounding squad with Turiaf off the bench.

If our defense improves and we somehow become an even quicker and higher-flying team, I think we can squeak into the playoffs, but I don't see us doing more damage than that. With Baron, I always thought we had a shot at beating any team in a 7 game series should we get in the playoffs, but without him I'm not sure we could complete.

I just don't see us losing our best player and winning more games. Unless we make a big move, or unless a team or two falls off, I see us around that 9-11 range in the West once again. Maybe it's a year we can use to build toward the future.

But hey, I'm always pessimistic. Anyone elsee see things differently? Why?

GSW Hoops
07-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I shorted us a game...can someone edit the title to 48 games? Thanks.

Bosh=nextKG
07-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I think we can. Our bench has deff improved and now we don't have to worry about a drunk man being the man we depend on. I think with our young players and developing bench we can deff win more games than last year.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Its possible.. We should finish up the offseason before we answer this though.. still early and your rotations are not fixed yet..

djeller1139
07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I still think to truly compete we need one or two more moves. If we could get a true PG, keep Monta at SG, and have Jackson or Maggette (one starting, one six man) rotating in at SG and SF, we can be very good. However, more important for the Warriors should be finding us the right PF. We need someone to go up against Boozer, West, Gasol, Duncan (or Oberto idk who is PF, and who is C), etc. I think Okafor is the best fit, and if we can trade Harrington for a PG, then we could use the extra cap space to sign Okafor long term..

If we are done this offseason, and don't pull off another move, then i think it all depends on how Monta performs. Without another move though, i am doubtful that we make the playoffs. The Clippers will have a better shot than us, as they will probably sign a PF or trade for Randolph or Marion, making them stronger than the Warriors as they are now.

Bosh=nextKG
07-13-2008, 10:46 PM
I still think to truly compete we need one or two more moves. If we could get a true PG, keep Monta at SG, and have Jackson or Maggette (one starting, one six man) rotating in at SG and SF, we can be very good. However, more important for the Warriors should be finding us the right PF. We need someone to go up against Boozer, West, Gasol, Duncan (or Oberto idk who is PF, and who is C), etc. I think Okafor is the best fit, and if we can trade Harrington for a PG, then we could use the extra cap space to sign Okafor long term..

If we are done this offseason, and don't pull off another move, then i think it all depends on how Monta performs. Without another move though, i am doubtful that we make the playoffs. The Clippers will have a better shot than us, as they will probably sign a PF or trade for Randolph or Marion, making them stronger than the Warriors as they are now.

I deff agree with you, If we traded Harrington for a real pg and signed a dude like Okafor, I would deff think that would make us better. Thats wut we need to do. Lets keep Monta at the 2.

Lincoln Logs
07-13-2008, 10:59 PM
I know it's way way way early, but is there anyone out there who thinks losing Baron and gaining Maggette can improve the team overall?

I think if Monta can run the point decently, we can definitely score more points than last season with a lineup of Biedrins/Harrington/Maggette/Jackson/Ellis. Our bench seems to be coming along, and we should be a better rebounding squad with Turiaf off the bench.

If our defense improves and we somehow become an even quicker and higher-flying team, I think we can squeak into the playoffs, but I don't see us doing more damage than that. With Baron, I always thought we had a shot at beating any team in a 7 game series should we get in the playoffs, but without him I'm not sure we could complete.

I just don't see us losing our best player and winning more games. Unless we make a big move, or unless a team or two falls off, I see us around that 9-11 range in the West once again. Maybe it's a year we can use to build toward the future.

But hey, I'm always pessimistic. Anyone elsee see things differently? Why?

Those are some big ifs.

I think it all depends on if Monta can perform well as a PG, and if our youngsters perform with more minutes. I still see Wright as our PF of the future, he's been impressive in Summer League, but still needs to add weight, but of course Okafur would be nice. But we'd only be able to give him 13 mil(by trading Harrington), which he got from the bobcats last year but declined, and I think the bobcats would match that again this year. Also, if we gave him 13 mil, that leaves no money for the PG we'd trade harrington for and 1 to 2 more players to round out the squad. So okafur would have to agree to take less money, which he won't want and Charlotte would gladly match getting their player for less money than originally offered.

If Wright and Belinelli can give us solid numbers off the bench(I see Wright starting by midseason), Monta can smoothly transition to PG and both he and Biedrins continue to improve and mature, I don't see why we can't stay around the same. It appears we will have a deeper bench and possibly some better rebounding this year, and our defense might improve alittle as well. I stated before how I don't see the Ws finishing dead last in defense this year. The West is ridiculously stacked this year though.

But again, those are also some big ifs.

Nick D.
07-13-2008, 11:03 PM
No way. Not with the roster as it stands now. They need to make a major splash prior to the season to get over 40 wins.

tadmanny
07-13-2008, 11:20 PM
It's only possible if we get a big guy like Okafor. If not, then no way. What would be diff than the last 2 years?

mtt1er
07-13-2008, 11:28 PM
i cant see them winning less than like 45 games or winning more than 50 with the roster now..they still cant plahy defense or rebound but they will definitly be high scorers again. although the thing is that they had sooo many comeback wins last season and baron was a huuge part of that. someone needs to step up and take leadership role..im hoping monta ellis can fill that void

garlicboy
07-14-2008, 04:00 AM
No way.

We can surprise and get 40-42, but it's so hard to make a prediction right now, when the roster is not even close to being set. This thread is very premature.

Tmac416
07-14-2008, 04:02 AM
yup. i i agree. i think this team will suprise and win 40 games. people shouldnt think were gona suck so bad. maggette, ellis, and jackson can all score over 20 points a night

garlicboy
07-14-2008, 04:27 AM
yup. i i agree. i think this team will suprise and win 40 games. people shouldnt think were gona suck so bad. maggette, ellis, and jackson can all score over 20 points a night

It all depends on our team chemistry more so than Monta handling the point. I've already seen what Nellie did with the Mavs when he had Jason Terry and Devin Harris as his PG's.

We also don't know if we have Turiaf, or if Hendrix can play. We need interior guys who can keep Boozer, Gasol, Odom, Aldridge, etc from nabbing 20 rebs a game against us.

We're number 1 in scoring in the league. What we lack is interior defense and rebounding. I think this is a bigger need than a PG, especially with the addition of Maggette who replaces Baron's scoring and the addition of Anthony Randolph who is another ball handler/playmaker when Nellie plays him at the 4 against favorable matchups(i.e. guys he can guard in the post, guys who aren't back to the basket scorers. Example Josh Smith, Jeff Green when he plays PF, Tim Thomas, Chuck Hayes, Dirk, any King PF, Memphis PF, NJ PF and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

TrueFan420
07-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Yea i would have to agree being able to bound and bang with the bigs is the most important. How Ellis handles the point is big but Jack can help and same with Randolph but we cant over lean on him because he is a rook and will most likely hit a wall at some point this season. I think the Turiaf singing would help us out alot he could have a good year for us but we still have to wait and see if the lakers will match.

robbnen#31
07-14-2008, 05:13 AM
I want to see Wright playing more, honestly I think he is going to be a stud. He can even create his own shot (which we didnt see at all last year) but he did it a lot for UNC. I would like to see Harrington packaged with a draft pick and see if we could pickup one more impact player of the likes of a star pg or Marion.

Ellis Maggette Jack PG/Marion and Biedrins with Wright Turiaf Azubuike and Bellinelli off the bench would be solid

TrueFan420
07-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Turiaf is no lock yet and we need a bigger pf than marion. If we got a point we would be really leaning on wright and I still dont think he has enough wieght to do it full time. But moving al and a first is our best option for bringing in a needed piece to the puzzle.

GSW Hoops
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM

Wow, great post. :clap: Why aren't you the Warriors GM? :):)

We definitely need a real PG so we can bring Jack/Maggette off the bench. And as for the PF, we need that too. I think Turiaf can defend the big men in the West a little, but we need someone who can compete consistently down low. I always thought Steven Hunter was a good young big man, and I'm not sure why we never pursued him.

Bosh=nextKG
07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Anyway we could reunite Devin Harris with Nellie??

Thatruth32
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
possible yes... possible with the roster we have this moment i highly doubt it ... i would be happy just to get 40 42 wins with what we have rite now... as true warrior fans we are used to losing and doing it bad with not much hope... so i dont see why some are so down... im used to it.. least now we have tons of talent... BW.. randolph ... marco.... monta... andris... etc... so im willing to go through a rough year or 2 and see were we go from there.

Saltinuts40
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
We can make the playoffs. We have to see who else we bring in, because after we get confirmation about Turiaf, than we can move on. We are being held hostage by the 7 day to match rule, so we don't want to offer money to a FA until we know Turiaf is our backup center.

oracle650
07-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't Count Us Out. Count Us In.

likemystylez
12-23-2008, 02:46 AM
I think we can. Our bench has deff improved and now we don't have to worry about a drunk man being the man we depend on. I think with our young players and developing bench we can deff win more games than last year.

I doubt we win 47 or 48 games this yr, but thats just me