PDA

View Full Version : Artest hopes for trade from Kings, will act as own agent

LAStory
07-13-2008, 07:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3485534

LAS VEGAS -- Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest joined teammates Kevin Martin, Beno Udrih and Shareef Abdur-Rahim as celebrity spectators for the Kings' first game in the NBA Summer League on the campus of UNLV.

But Artest isn't feeling like a King.

In a series of e-mails he sent to ESPN.com late Saturday and early Sunday, Artest continued to lament his decision to pass on an opportunity to become a free agent July 1 by announcing that he is now representing himself without an agent and expressing hope that he will soon be traded to "a team out there that can be more committed than Sacramento to me."

That team is believed to be the Los Angeles Lakers. Almost from the minute they were routed by the Boston Celtics in Game 6 of the NBA Finals -- which Artest attended in Boston to root for friends Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom -- it has been strongly expected throughout the league that the Lakers would revisit their longstanding trade interest in Artest and eventually acquire the enigmatic forward sometime this summer to address the defense and toughness issues that the Celtics exposed.

But NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Sunday that the Lakers -- fond as they are of Artest and confident as they are that they can get the best out of him through Phil Jackson's coaching and Artest's respect for Bryant -- are reluctant to part with Odom in an Artest swap. That stance, if the Lakers hold firm, would almost certainly prompt Sacramento to look elsewhere for a trade partner.

The most consistent trade chatter involving Artest suggests that the Kings would want Odom in return for Artest and Kings forward Kenny Thomas.

Sacramento Kings co-owner Joe Maloof acknowledged Sunday that the Kings are receiving trade inquiries for Ron Artest but disputed the claim that he and brother Gavin Maloof are avoiding the forward. "Ron has been terrific for us," Maloof told ESPN.com in a phone interview. "He's a wonderful talent. I'm sure he gets frustrated. His opinion is that maybe he should have opted out [of his contract]. But I think the best thing for him is to play out the contract and earn his next contract with a great year. He's got to stay mentally focused. "We love him. He's been great in our community, our fans like him and he works hard. I know he's just frustrated, but Gavin and I, we appreciate everything Ron has done for us. We don't have any problems with him. "We've always been accessible to our players, but we leave all the basketball decisions to [Kings president Geoff Petrie]. We don't like to interfere with Geoff. That's not our style." When asked if he expects Artest to be a King once training camp starts in October or to characterize Artest's future with the club, Maloof said: "I can't really answer that." But he dismiss an oft-cited theory that the Kings, because of their fierce on-court rivalry with the Lakers early in the decade, wouldn't make a trade with their divisional neighbors. "Absolutely not [true]," Maloof said. "We're rivals with the Lakers, but we respect them as an organization. If we can make a move that improves our situation, it doesn't matter who the other team is. "The Lakers do want him," Maloof continued. "But so do about six other teams." -- Marc Stein

Artest, for his part, is now openly pushing for a move, telling ESPN.com that he's suddenly feeling a chill from Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof in the same desert where, just two summers ago in 2006, Joe Maloof proclaimed him to be the new "face of our franchise."

Questioning his future with Sacramento in an all-over-the-map manner, as only he can, Artest needed just a few sentences to put Kings coach Reggie Theus on par with Jackson, second-guess the Kings' decision to fire Rick Adelman in May 2006, speak of a hypothetical move to his hometown New York Knicks and describe the Lakers' Jackson as an ideal coach.

"It's weird because [the] Maloofs [were] high on me [after] the initial trade," Artest wrote, referring to the January 2006 deal that brought him from the Indiana Pacers to the Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic. "But during this opt-out time in my career I have not heard from them. That should have been a sign to me that my future in [Sacramento] is N/A or undetermined.

"In a way I wish this [coming 2008-09 season] would have been [Theus'] first year and [Adelman] would have left this summer, because it could have showed how much [of] a winner I am. Guys like Rick Adelman and Rick Carlisle [brought] that out of me. Isiah [Thomas] was going to bring that out of me if he didn't get fired [by the Knicks]. A coach like Phil Jackson can bring that out me."

"Reggie more than qualifies," Artest continued. "[But] as much as I have to prove I can win like a Rasheed [Wallace] or [Kevin] Garnett in the first year [with their] respective [new] teams, I can make an argument [that] firing Rick Adelman was not the best thing to do. It put me in a position where I had to start over. The good thing is, I should be in my prime at 32 years old, so I have time and, with faith in God, I can move ahead with progress to reach success."

On the first day of free agency, after seeing Elton Brand and Baron Davis unexpectedly put themselves on the free-agent market when it was widely assumed that they wouldn't opt out, Artest told ESPN.com that he immediately regretted his decision not to opt out of the final year of his contract to become an unrestricted agent. The 28-year-old instead elected to play out the final year of his contract with the Kings at $7.4 million, as he had vowed for weeks. But he apparently did so believing that the Kings would consider signing him to a contract extension this summer, even though there had been little indication from Sacramento management that it was preparing to make such an offer.

Artest emerged from a July 1 meeting with Kings president Geoff Petrie saying that he "made the biggest mistake by staying in my contract" after it was made clear to him that his long-term future lay elsewhere.

"I don't see myself with [the] Kings beyond 2008-09," Artest said then.

He lately apologized publicly in an e-mail to ESPN.com and The Sacramento Bee "for being mistakenly frustrated with the Kings" and called it "a mistake that I made," but the conciliatory tone didn't last long.

"After being around the Kings and letting the missed opportunity soak in, it makes me hungry to play good basketball this year," Artest wrote Sunday. "My agent at the time [Mark Stevens] did not pay attention to the last minute of the opt-out hour and David Falk and all these other agents pulled a fast one. They were so smart to opt out [at] the last minute.

"I hope I can go with a team who can commit to me on whatever the terms may be. Even in Indiana when they were worried about extending me, I still produced for them. I do believe [there is] a team out there that can be more committed than Sacramento to me. Now that I'm my own agent, I can get a better feel on how teams really view me because I can represent myself.

"When my agent at the time asked me not to opt out so the Kings can get something in return, I thought it was the right thing to do. I didn't want to leave them out there after all they did for me. But [by] doing that, I'm left out in the cold and still being experimented on like a lab rat. Wherever I'm at next year I can't wait to work.

"When Rick Adelman got fired and Bonzi [Wells] didn't get re-signed, that messed up my legacy as a King because we were headed in the right direction. Now it's like I have to re-identify what type of team play I can bring to a team.

"I was blinded by friendship. Even Mama Maloof [Colleen Maloof, Joe and Gavin's mother] told me she wanted me to stay. I never knew that meant one more year. I thought it meant several. When Mama [Maloof] talks, you listen, and it's a must you consider and take heed to what she is saying.

"I didn't know I would be on this roller-coaster ride. Even my coaches convinced me things will be OK. I guess they didn't know, either, that would mean a couple more years. I feel like I let my family down by not being a smarter businessman."

The Kings would undoubtedly counter that it's the team, like Artest's previous employers in Chicago and Indiana, who have been subjected to the roller-coaster ride by the rugged forward's unpredictable nature. Artest revitalized the Kings in his first half-season in town, powering Sacramento into the 2006 playoffs and a feisty first-round loss to the San Antonio Spurs that was more competitive than most experts predicted. But legal troubles and friction with then-coach Eric Musselman in 2006-07 were followed by Musselman's dismissal after just one season on the bench, with Artest revealing late in the season that he strongly contemplated retirement to spend more time with his family.

Artest missed the first seven games last season to serve a league suspension after a no-contest plea to infliction of injury on his wife. He went on to miss 18 more games through injury, but Sacramento weathered its myriad dramas and health issues -- as well as the midseason trade of Mike Bibby to Atlanta -- to exceed most preseason forecasts and post a 38-44 record under Theus. Artest wound up having one his best statistical seasons -- averaging 20.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 57 games -- and has claimed often that the Kings would have been right there with the eight 50-win teams in the West if not for the injuries suffered by him, Bibby and Martin.

He has been actively working to address doubts about his reliability, which are most commonly associated with Artest's suspension for the remainder of the 2004-05 season for his role in the infamous Pistons-Pacers brawl in November 2004. Heavily involved with the NBA Players Association's humanitarian efforts in Africa and elsewhere abroad, Artest likewise signed on last season as a spokesman for PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and has done volunteer television work in recent months for the Maloofs-owned Sacramento Monarchs of the WNBA.

Artest also unsuccessfully reached out to USA Basketball officials earlier this month in a bid to convince them to consider him as an 11th-hour candidate for this summer's China-bound Olympic team.

In spite of Artest's eccentricities and controversial past, most NBA executives agree that Artest will attract plenty of interest from contending teams between now and next February's trading deadline with his reputation as one of the league's top all-around players when focused ... and his very tradeable salary. Sacramento had serious Artest talks with the Denver Nuggets at the February trading deadline and Petrie's fellow GMs surely haven't forgotten the initial impact Artest had on the Kings when he arrived.

But even if the Lakers did budge from their current stance and consented to include Odom in a deal with the Kings, chances are nothing could happen before Friday at the earliest, as L.A. must first decide whether to match the Golden State Warriors' four-year, $17 million offer sheet to forward Ronny Turiaf. The Kings could also elect to take their time before consenting to move Artest in hopes of generating better trade offers as the summer progresses and other teams' free-agent options begin to dwindle.

tim
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
wow, good find! :D

Lakers are trying to keep Odom and get Artest? thats bold!

x_notorious
07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
The chances of this deal are getting better and better.

Lakerfan32
07-13-2008, 07:59 PM
The fact that Josh Smith will probably move this summer is where we should be looking. Smith is young and a great fit to our team. TONS of talent. If we move Odom(I'd prefer not) we'd be crazy not to go after a few people OTHER than Artest

-Josh Smith should be our main focus

-Gerald Wallace is available and has already been expolored

-Shawn Marion is a far better team player and has already showed he can fit into an offense

lalaland2007
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
if Artest is his own agent

What leverage does that give him and possibly the team he wants to be traded too?

Lakers trying to keep Odom and get Artest?

Wow! Mitch you would BE a genius and a Thief to pull that off.

lalaland2007
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
When he mentions a championship, like Sheed and KG

and when he mentions Phil JAX being a coach to bring out the best in him

kinda gave me chills and i was immediately thinking

We are landing this guy.

3 type of deals

1. the STEAL : Radmanovic & Walton for Artest
2. the reasonable: Ariza, Mihm, Radman for Artest and Shereef
3. the We gave up too much: Odom and Farmar for Artest and Kenny T.

John408
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
This would be the dream scenario!

pg/fw: Odom
sg: Bryant
sf: Artest
pf: Gasol
C: Bynum

This would be the biggest lineup in the league. I almost want to say 2008-2009 NBA Champions. Just hand them the trophy if this happens.

NDP1981
07-13-2008, 08:27 PM
wow.....I think we have some movement soon.

Shawh
07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Interesting, it looks like this is becoming more and more likely. Thanks for the update.

ca11metdub
07-13-2008, 08:31 PM
i applaud artest for being very open with this issue

Lakers_ftw
07-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Wow, I didn't think the Lakers were trying to keep Odom from this trade. How about trade Odom and Luke for Artest and Thomas now, then have Odom come back next year for MLE ? Re-sign Artest for around 4yr/40million. Since they're great friends and all. We got Pau for Kwame right ?

II KB KG II
07-13-2008, 08:46 PM
wow...now mitch just has to get this done man....i think if we can get artest without odom we should shop odom for a better PG....doesnt hurt....lord knows pj wont start lamar at the pg....so...

maybe

radman/ or walton + 1st round pick FOR artest

KingDiesel
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
The fact that Josh Smith will probably move this summer is where we should be looking. Smith is young and a great fit to our team. TONS of talent. If we move Odom(I'd prefer not) we'd be crazy not to go after a few people OTHER than Artest

-Shawn Marion is a far better team player and has already showed he can fit into an offense

while i don't disagree completely with looking at all avenues this one is suspect if not incorrect. marion wanted to stay the highest paid player on the suns while clearly being the 3rd option. since he didn't get what he wanted he complained his way off a contending team so that he could go to the worst team in the league. i'd hardly call anyone that acts like that anything close to a team player. also, so far the only offense that he seems to fit into is the run and gun d'antoni style. nothing like what we'd run here.

while your statements aren't true, i still wouldn't mind shawn on the team.

artest, marion, prince, wallace, anyone of those guys just please get rid of odom!

CalJo1617
07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
it would be nice to keep lamar and get artest, but that has a zero percent of ever happening.

Fireworld
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
"while i don't disagree completely with looking at all avenues this one is suspect if not incorrect. marion wanted to stay the highest paid player on the suns while clearly being the 3rd option. since he didn't get what he wanted he complained his way off a contending team so that he could go to the worst team in the league. i'd hardly call anyone that acts like that anything close to a team player. also, so far the only offense that he seems to fit into is the run and gun d'antoni style. nothing like what we'd run here.

while your statements aren't true, i still wouldn't mind shawn on the team.

artest, marion, prince, wallace, anyone of those guys just please get rid of odom!"

I thought he wanted to move most because his name was mentioned in so many trade talk/rumors. He would have stayed in PHX if they gave him the extention he asked for. Or maybe i'm just wrong, Hell, i don't know him!

QUICKTRADE
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
if this trade will go down, i will retract all those harsh criticism to Mitch but then again its a chess game. If we could land artest and having Lo still in our team then there's no chance of any given team in NBA to defeat Lakers come next season. The only thing that will keep us the championship is an injury to our main people like 3 of them which I pray and hope it wont happen.

tim
07-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Haha, i wonder what Mitch is offering, if its not Odom?

Maybe... Farmar, Radmanovic, Crawford, Yue for Artest? i dont know...

he has balls to try and get Artest without trading Odom though, gotta give him props for that! :clap:

lakersrock
07-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Smith can't shoot, but if no Artest, I love him.

Wallace for Odom doesn't make enough of a difference to do it.

Marion is a team player? Is that why he forced his way outta Phoenix for not being a main option? He would hate being behind Kobe, Bynum and Gasol.

matt123
07-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't think its possible to get artest without odom... In fact I don't think we r going to pull it off with odom... Its just too perfect a situation for us esp so soon after pau... And I think sac knows it... I wouldn't be surprised to see him get traded just not to the lakers... Maybe east coast even

kobesworld
07-13-2008, 09:57 PM
some people are crazy.... josh smith is not close to artest imo... tayshaun prince would not be traded to the lakers... ron artest would bring us a championship because he is exactly what we are missing... lets face it, we have all said it LO sucks. There is no excuses, he sucks. Artest can easily learn how to play the triangle and with Pau and Bynum jesus we would be so nuts. Pull it Mitch!

kobe2008mvp
07-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Pull The Trigger Mitch.

lakerman
07-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Smith can't shoot, but if no Artest, I love him.

Wallace for Odom doesn't make enough of a difference to do it.

Marion is a team player? Is that why he forced his way outta Phoenix for not being a main option? He would hate being behind Kobe, Bynum and Gasol.

Smith shoots better than Odom, did you watch the playoff Smith was great.

Wallace is a better finisher than Odom, and his defense is better
he also average 19 points a game.

Marion is no team player, he always complained about getting the ball
more, I don't want him on the Lakers team NO!

marques724
07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I would love to see us get Artest without giving up LO but I don't see how that can happen

SouljahPhil...
07-13-2008, 10:16 PM
wow...that would be sick if we traded for artest without giving odom..
Maybe a package of centered around farmar will do...

Farmar.,ariza.,mihm, 2 second rounders(charlotte and ours) and cash...
All are expiring and farmar and ariza our young players...

Hurricane H
07-13-2008, 10:34 PM
This is just a chess game from Artest and also from the Kings. By saying he wanted to be traded to LA just brings more attention to him from other Western Conference Team. If I were San Antonio or Phoenix or Utah, you will try to prevent that by offering a better deal. Big plus to the Kings and could be a big plus to Artest.

So Laker fans, don't get to excited about all this talk. It's a business. Everyone has their own agenda and that is to take care of number one, themselves.

Lakersfan2483
07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
If LA pulls this off and Artest buys into our team, the Lakers will be Ridiculously good next year:

Fish, Kobe, Artest, Gasol, and Bynum, Wow, what a lineup!! Our defense would improve tremendously with Bynum coming back and us getting Ron. Man, teams out west will have some major problems playing us.

You could have Artest focus on the teams best perimeter player and allow Kobe to do his thing in terms of closing games, similar to MJ and Pippen in terms of the role Artest could play on defense. I am in no way saying that Ron is Scottie but the acquisition of a player of this caliber is intriguing. He being Artest must buy into Phil Jackson's philosophy.

Lakersfan2483
07-13-2008, 11:01 PM
No on trading Lamar for G. Wallace as someone mentioned earlier, Odom can do more than Wallace overall. Artest is a lockdown defender who can score and create his own shot. Artest is also a former defensive player of the year, it's a no-brainer on who is better between him and G. Wallace. I like Josh Smith but we don't have the money for him, he is looking to get paid. Marion would be an excellent addition to the laker team, a double-digit rebounder who is more consistent on the offensive end then that of Odom.

LA_Raiders
07-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Artest would be perfect, but I dont see it happen without Odom in it...

NBAdyNASTY
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Haha, i wonder what Mitch is offering, if its not Odom?

Maybe... Farmar, Radmanovic, Crawford, Yue for Artest? i dont know...

he has balls to try and get Artest without trading Odom though, gotta give him props for that! :clap:

Where in this article did it say the Lakers were trying to get Artest without trading LO? I saw where it said the Lakers may be reluctant to trade Odom, but nothing about keeping LO in the process. Maybe they haven't offered anybody and are mulling it over.

Iceman_9
07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Ill be happy if Lamar stays for Artest. Ill even say that Mitch is a genius if that happens.. If Lamar goes, it doesnt matter as well coz well have artest. :)

lakersrock
07-13-2008, 11:40 PM

46% FG/25% 3P

or

53% FG/27% 3P

I know which one I'd rather have for an entire year.

LASportsFan
07-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Artest is inconsistent.

He has the same problem as Odom in my opinion. Some nights his shot is good, some it isnt.

But I will say that he plays better defense.

Him and Odom are equal players (Odom is a little more versatile).

I really don't think Odom for Artest would be much of an upgrade.

I agree with Mitch on this one

LASportsFan
07-13-2008, 11:47 PM

Is it a realistic possibiliy that we could get Josh Smith????

If it is then I would recommend that.

He would bring more to the table than Artest.

Lakerfan32
07-13-2008, 11:50 PM
some people are crazy.... josh smith is not close to artest imo... tayshaun prince would not be traded to the lakers... ron artest would bring us a championship because he is exactly what we are missing... lets face it, we have all said it LO sucks. There is no excuses, he sucks. Artest can easily learn how to play the triangle and with Pau and Bynum jesus we would be so nuts. Pull it Mitch!

actually, I haven't said it. not all of us are so quick to turn on our team. Great write up though.:confused:

Artest is a proven headcase and a POS. The guy is in no way what we need and just cause we lost in the Finals you guys are looking for the first bridge to jump off. Good work. Way to be a true Laker fan. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer to keep the team in tact but my last option would be to gamble on a guy who is constantly sacrificing the team concept to promote himself. Aside from his rap BS he also has wife and dog beating to add to that. If he is playing he's been shown to jack and force shots while complaining about teammates and being one of the easiest players to get under his skin and take out of a game.

It's amazing how you can be such a douche and turn on a player who's only said he wants to be here for life and played through a shoulder injury in the suns series last year. SHOW SOME GD LOYALTY.

I'd love for Kobe to get traded for no reason other than to see you bull**** fairweather Kobe fans walk. FUKC YOU!

lakers4sho
07-13-2008, 11:54 PM
If Artest is acquired without parting ways with Odom, that'll be a MAJOR steal and another reason for haters to go wild :p

Squad13
07-13-2008, 11:59 PM
actually, I haven't said it. not all of us are so quick to turn on our team. Great write up though.:confused:

Artest is a proven headcase and a POS. The guy is in no way what we need and just cause we lost in the Finals you guys are looking for the first bridge to jump off. Good work. Way to be a true Laker fan. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer to keep the team in tact but my last option would be to gamble on a guy who is constantly sacrificing the team concept to promote himself. Aside from his rap BS he also has wife and dog beating to add to that. If he is playing he's been shown to jack and force shots while complaining about teammates and being one of the easiest players to get under his skin and take out of a game.

It's amazing how you can be such a douche and turn on a player who's only said he wants to be here for life and played through a shoulder injury in the suns series last year. SHOW SOME GD LOYALTY.

I'd love for Kobe to get traded for no reason other than to see you bull**** fairweather Kobe fans walk. FUKC YOU!

I care about the Lakers team doing well, Artest personal life can be argued like Kobe's , he may not be the best person off the court, he has said Jackson could bring out the best in him, he loves Kobe, and if possible and we get him without giving up Odom he gets to play with his long time friend. He brings the one thing this team is lacking, INTENSITY he brings it on both ends and plays to win, he will not give up easy layups and get in peoples faces. Bring him in and do it now, when we win the title next year and everything is good then you will see, your wanting the perfect team on and off the floor that is nearly impossible in todays game. Alot of players back in the day were not good people off the court, but the media coverage was nothing compared to today, his life in under a microscope and people make mistakes.

drew_ballz99
07-14-2008, 12:17 AM
This is just a chess game from Artest and also from the Kings. By saying he wanted to be traded to LA just brings more attention to him from other Western Conference Team. If I were San Antonio or Phoenix or Utah, you will try to prevent that by offering a better deal. Big plus to the Kings and could be a big plus to Artest.

So Laker fans, don't get to excited about all this talk. It's a business. Everyone has their own agenda and that is to take care of number one, themselves.

The Kings are interested in helping themselves by getting rid of Artest and Thomas and taking on Odoms expiring at a whopping 14 million after next season. The Maloof brothers figure to be big players in the summer of 09-10 when Wayde and Lebron become available. Having 14 million dollars in cap room is huge. I think Odom's contract is leaving the Maloof's salivating along with many other organizations in the league.

What can San Antonio, Phoenix, or Utah offer that would compare to 14 million expiring? Would any of those three take on Thomas' deal? The Lakers need defense and will need another big when they decline to match Turiaf's tender.

The reason Laker fans are interested in this topic is that it makes so much sense. As far as the Kings worried about trading Artest to a contender, do they really see themselves competing for a championship next year? Even without Artest the Lakers are the cream of the crop with a healthy Bynum back.

I guarantee you that IF the Lake show is interested in dangling Odom and his huge expiring contract, I can definately see another team offer us an all-star player in exchange for cap relief.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

310Casper
07-14-2008, 12:22 AM
No way in a million years will the Kings give us Artest without acquiring Odom. They would rather trade Artest to any other team for a weaker package, the Maloofs' hate the Lakers and were in the same division. Keep dreaming guys lol.

If for some crazy reason we end up getting Artest for RadMan and Walton, then I truly believe that Mitch should be arrested for robbery and that Stern should truly not allow it, no matter what. That would just make our team leaps and bounds above every other team, it just wouldn't be fair.

KingDiesel
07-14-2008, 12:22 AM

dude...relax. a little petty there don't you think? screw the bandwagoners, there's a lot of us "true" fans who've been fans for decades, never liked odom as a player for a multitude of reasons, and have wanted him gone from his first ADD moment. it's now been 4 years all of which are wrought with those moments.

i'm not comparing their talent levels but what if kwame or jr rider said they wanted to be a laker for life? kwame played through a bunch of injuries too ya know. so what? they needed to go as does lamar. :cool:

i'm fairly intrigued at the prospect of a 3 towered attack if nothing goes down but if there's a chance to upgrade the small forward position for odom it probably and thankfully Will happen.

lakers4sho
07-14-2008, 12:28 AM
No way in a million years will the Kings give us Artest without acquiring Odom. They would rather trade Artest to any other team for a weaker package, the Maloofs' hate the Lakers and were in the same division. Keep dreaming guys lol.

If for some crazy reason we end up getting Artest for RadMan and Walton, then I truly believe that Mitch should be arrested for robbery and that Stern should truly not allow it, no matter what. That would just make our team leaps and bounds above every other team, it just wouldn't be fair.

It would've been possible to get Artest without giving up Odom, if he just opted out of his contract. I don't think people would say it's "unfair".

But, oh well :shrug:

Vegasguy80
07-14-2008, 12:43 AM
This would be the dream scenario!

pg/fw: Odom
sg: Bryant
sf: Artest
pf: Gasol
C: Bynum

This would be the biggest lineup in the league. I almost want to say 2008-2009 NBA Champions. Just hand them the trophy if this happens.

What? Odom at P.G.? Are you drinking? That is why having Artest and Odom wouldn't work. He isn't going to play P.G.

Vegasguy80
07-14-2008, 12:45 AM

I agree with some of what you said but you kind of got out of line with the nonsense. Take a breath! It will be ok!

Lakeshow86
07-14-2008, 01:02 AM
if Mitch can get artest wihout giving up odom im sure it would have to be something with Farmar. Probably Radman, Farmar and maybe future draft pick(should be a second rounder) for Artest. I would do it.

Catfish1314
07-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Take him. Everybody in Sac Town is sick of his ****. Love everything about his game. He's an idiot. He thinks because Elton Brand and Baron Davis got big money, he could have gotten the same. Corey Maggette got the MLE, Ron. That's exactly what you would have gotten.

Odom for Artest and Kenny. Do it.

BigDaddyKaine
07-14-2008, 01:21 AM

NOT Gerald Wallace he will play a few games for us and be out for the season

Y not T Prince

Cali4rnia
07-14-2008, 01:53 AM
**** that trading odom for ron & kenny (2 huge year contract) is a mistake. if they want odom they better take luke with umm.. i dont care add another team or add another decent player from kings but i say no to a deal that would send odom for ron & kenny.. i like ron for odom straight up but thats not possible cuz of contract but kennys contacts sux.. it could bring problem for bynums contract. **** NO TO THIS DEAL :)

Lakerfan32
07-14-2008, 02:09 AM
I care about the Lakers team doing well, Artest personal life can be argued like Kobe's , he may not be the best person off the court, he has said Jackson could bring out the best in him, he loves Kobe, and if possible and we get him without giving up Odom he gets to play with his long time friend. He brings the one thing this team is lacking, INTENSITY he brings it on both ends and plays to win, he will not give up easy layups and get in peoples faces. Bring him in and do it now, when we win the title next year and everything is good then you will see, your wanting the perfect team on and off the floor that is nearly impossible in todays game. Alot of players back in the day were not good people off the court, but the media coverage was nothing compared to today, his life in under a microscope and people make mistakes.

dude...relax. a little petty there don't you think? screw the bandwagoners, there's a lot of us "true" fans who've been fans for decades, never liked odom as a player for a multitude of reasons, and have wanted him gone from his first ADD moment. it's now been 4 years all of which are wrought with those moments.

i'm not comparing their talent levels but what if kwame or jr rider said they wanted to be a laker for life? kwame played through a bunch of injuries too ya know. so what? they needed to go as does lamar. :cool:

i'm fairly intrigued at the prospect of a 3 towered attack if nothing goes down but if there's a chance to upgrade the small forward position for odom it probably and thankfully Will happen.

I agree with some of what you said but you kind of got out of line with the nonsense. Take a breath! It will be ok!

NOT Gerald Wallace he will play a few games for us and be out for the season

Y not T Prince

**** that trading odom for ron & kenny (2 huge year contract) is a mistake. if they want odom they better take luke with umm.. i dont care add another team or add another decent player from kings but i say no to a deal that would send odom for ron & kenny.. i like ron for odom straight up but thats not possible cuz of contract but kennys contacts sux.. it could bring problem for bynums contract. **** NO TO THIS DEAL :)

Got out of line and my bad.

Artest has gone into the stands and hit people

Hit his wife

Hit dogs

Asked the team during the regular season cause he was tired from promoting rap in indiana

got called out for faking injuries

blown games for going crazy, some in crucial playoff games

complained publicly about not getting shots even though he took more shots than someone who was playing far better

gone public against his team and coach on numerous occasions in small markets(imagine LA)

Is a good 2 way player but all the hype he gets makes me seriously wonder how much basketball you guys really watch, he's not worth the risk

I went off the hook for sure, but you guys are smoking something to want to F with a Finals team with the one player who is sure to screw our team over

Storch
07-14-2008, 02:41 AM
YES! then sign kwame for vet minimum and we practically didnt trade anyone out of the lakers! =D

GermanLakersFan
07-14-2008, 02:46 AM
kenny thomas would be a NICE addition to ron-ron in that deal am i the only one who gets that?? After this season he will have 8 million expiring.

I remember a guy who couldn't hold on to a freaking hand-off when given to him in slow-motion. He had 9mill-expiring and we got some spaniard for him.

borat
07-14-2008, 02:53 AM

Hit his wife

Hit dogs

Asked the team during the regular season cause he was tired from promoting rap in indiana

complained publicly about not getting shots even though he took more shots than someone who was playing far better

gone public against his team and coach on numerous occasions in small markets(imagine LA)

Is a good 2 way player but all the hype he gets makes me seriously wonder how much basketball you guys really watch, he's not worth the risk

I went off the hook for sure, but you guys are smoking something to want to F with a Finals team with the one player who is sure to screw our team over

Been pretty much fine in Sac-town. :)

Lakerfan32
07-14-2008, 02:57 AM

Hit his wife
Hit dogs

Been pretty much fine in Sac-town. :)

the bold are sactow. He has been far from good. Guy is a plague and his comments just since he's resigned showed show as much.

Really surprised that you of all people are on the other side. Ya done your research?

lalaland2007
07-14-2008, 02:58 AM
the article did say the kings will trade artest to another team if the trade does not make them better.

how does Farmar Radman and Walton make them better?

or anything other than Odom?

Catfish1314
07-14-2008, 03:03 AM
As a Kings fan, the only reason I would be for a trade to the Lakers involving Artest would be because this Kings team finally becomes Kevin Martin's as it should have been a season and a half ago. Odom's expiring contract is nice, but we're still financially tied until 2010 when Reef and Miller are off the books. But I don't think any team other than Charlotte or New York would make us a better offer for Artest.

AllTheWay
07-14-2008, 03:04 AM
I really like Gerald, isnt such a headcase, and Michael Jordan doesnt like the guy at all, he could be dealt

borat
07-14-2008, 03:09 AM
the bold are sactow. He has been far from good. Guy is a plague and his comments just since he's resigned showed show as much.

Really surprised that you of all people are on the other side. Ya done your research?

I'm pretty much indifferent to it. I honestly believe though he'll perform enough on the court that it would outweigh any issues he has off the court. And to be honest that's all I care about as a laker fan. :)

lowdown32
07-14-2008, 03:16 AM
As a Kings fan, the only reason I would be for a trade to the Lakers involving Artest would be because this Kings team finally becomes Kevin Martin's as it should have been a season and a half ago. Odom's expiring contract is nice, but we're still financially tied until 2010 when Reef and Miller are off the books. But I don't think any team other than Charlotte or New York would make us a better offer for Artest.

Thats why this trade works 14 and half mill is huge cap space look what the 76ers did i bet no one in phiily saw that coming ,then the kings in 2010 can add a star player to play along with Martin.

Lakerfan32
07-14-2008, 03:26 AM
I'm pretty much indifferent to it. I honestly believe though he'll perform enough on the court that it would outweigh any issues he has off the court. And to be honest that's all I care about as a laker fan. :)

You're one of the few people whose opinion I respect on here so I hope to stay cool, but his on court performance speaks for itself

PLEASE READ LINK

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2281289

1999-2000 season
Summer 1999: Before his rookie season, Artest applied for a part-time job at a Circuit City outlet in the Chicago area. But the Bulls stepped in before he could begin work ... and benefit from the employee discount.

Said Artest: "I thought it would be fun. And I had a friend who worked there."

Oct. 4, 1999: Fined $5,000 and sent home from the league's rookie orientation for missing a meeting. Bulls GM Jerry Krause said Artest overslept, while also having a friend in his room when visitors weren't allowed.

Ron Artest has gotten to know David Stern quite well throughout the years.

2000-01 season
Feb. 21, 2001: Suspended for one game and fined $7,500 for fighting with Glenn Robinson during Bulls-Bucks game.

June 13, 2001: Broke two of Michael Jordan's ribs during a pickup game. "I'm not sure what happened," Artest said in the Chicago Daily Herald. "I was just guarding him. I was just trying to get position because he was posting me up. I don't even recall him stopping for a brief second. ... I read it in the paper and was like, 'Man, Mike's ribs got broke. How'd his ribs get broke?'"

2001-02 season
Feb. 19, 2002: Traded with Ron Mercer, Brad Miller and Kevin Ollie to Pacers for Jalen Rose, Travis Best, Norm Richardson and second-round pick.

May 25, 2002: Girlfriend Jennifer Palma, mother of one of Artest's sons, accused him of grabbing her around the neck and by the arm during an argument. No charges were filed, but she was given a protective order, which Artest allegedly violated several days later by calling her. Harassment and criminal contempt charges were later dropped.

2002-03 season
Sept. 15, 2002: Artest, now reunited with Kimsha Hatfield, his girlfriend of eight years and mother of his two oldest children, called the police claiming that she hit and scratched him. (The two are now married.)

Dec. 19, 2002: Fined $10,000 for shoving the Mavericks' Raja Bell and failing to leave the court in a timely manner following his ejection, which occurred after he was given his second technical foul.

Jan 4, 2003: Suspended three games and fined $35,000 for smashing video equipment after a loss to the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Jan. 30, 2003: Suspended four games (costing him $84,000) after confrontation with Heat coach Pat Riley on the sidelines during the game, then flipping his middle finger at the fans in Miami.

The incident boiled over in the fourth quarter when Artest scored and was fouled, and proceeded to flex his right arm while walking toward the Miami bench. Heat assistant coach Keith Askins exchanged words with Artest, who brushed against Riley. Riley, who was already hot because of an Artest flagrant foul on Caron Butler, began shouting with Artest and shoved him away.

Feb. 26, 2003: Suspended one game by Pacers for smashing a framed picture of himself in Conseco Fieldhouse.

March 9, 2003: Suspended one game for flagrant foul (sixth of the season, which led to automatic suspension) on Trail Blazers' Bonzi Wells.

March 13, 2003: Suspended one game for flagrant foul (seventh of the season, which led to automatic suspension) on 76ers' Eric Snow.

March 20, 2003: Suspended two games for flagrant foul on the Celtics' Paul Pierce five seconds into the game. Eighth flagrant foul called for automatic two game suspension. April 3, 2003: Fined $20,000 for making an obscene gesture to the crowd in Cleveland.

2003-04 season
Feb. 16, 2004: Made his first All-Star appearance in style, by changing -- and mismatching -- sneakers throughout the game, in the hopes of landing a shoe contract.

Said Artest's agent, Mark Bartelstein: "We've been in negotiations with several different companies for a few months now. We didn't feel it was right to just wear one brand."

March 19, 2004: Suspended one game for elbowing the Trail Blazers' Derek Anderson during game.

May 25, 2004: Fined $10,000 for making an obscene gesture during Eastern Conference Finals against the Pistons.

June 1, 2004: Took a shot at Richard Hamilton's masked face and was called for a flagrant foul late in the fourth quarter of Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals, which appeared to ignite the Pistons, who would eliminate the Pacers shortly thereafter.

Said Artest of the call: "(Hamilton's) so skinny that they [the referees] didn't see it," Artest said. "I just put up my hands on him."

That's our Ron-Ron, back when he was hawking the CD.

2004-05 season
Nov. 9-10, 2004: Benched for two games after he asked for time off to promote the release of his upcoming rap album.

"When I decided I wanted to leave the game or take a month off, I'm a grown man," Artest told ESPN. "It doesn't make me crazy to want to do something that I want to do. ... You can be anything you want to be.

"I want to be a musician. I want to own my own label and I want to be MVP and win the championship of the NBA. I feel I can do anything I want to do. I have two goals this year. I want to go platinum or have my girls, Allure, go platinum, and win the NBA championship."

Nov. 19, 2004: Charged into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills to attack a fan who had thrown a cup at him. Two days later, he was suspended for the remainder of the season. Artest pleaded no contest to assault and battery charges and was sentenced to a year of probation, community service, anger management counseling and a $250 fine. He missed 73 regular-season games and 13 playoff games in total, while also losing $4,995,000 in salary.

2005-06 season
Oc. 11, 2005: Said Artest on new season: "I'm going to continue playing hard and out of control, like a wild animal that needs to be caged in."

Oct. 2005: Appearing on the cover of the December issue of Penthouse, Artest said in the interview that he wanted to box Ben Wallace on pay-per-view.

Dec. 10, 2005: In a one-on-one interview with the Indianapolis Star, Artest suggests the Pacers trade him. "If the trade rumors, if there is any truth -- maybe it won't be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me. ... If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up. ... I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There's a lot of players I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind."

In the interview, Artest also criticized coach Rick Carlisle, who would bench Artest for two games. "I like Coach [Carlisle] as a person, but I don't like playing for Coach. I like my team, though. ... Don't get it twisted. He's a very good coach. He knows what he's doing. I personally don't like playing for him."

Dec. 12, 2005: Placed on inactive list.

Dec. 15, 2005: Fined $10,000 for making public statements that he wanted to be traded. Said NBA senior vice president and general counsel Rick Buchanan: "Public trade demands by players was a subject discussed at length during collective bargaining negotiations this summer. The damage caused by these kind of statements was commonly understood, as was the NBA's intention to hold players accountable for such statements going forward."

Dec. 17, 2005: Has a change of heart. Said Artest in the Indianapolis Star: "I should have been a man and spoken with coach [Rick Carlisle] about my differences with him. Yes, I would like to return to the team."

Jan. 1, 2006: Artest, whose self-titled CD hits stores this summer, told the New York Post that his New Year's resolution is to: "Teach math classes in elementary schools throughout the country. And, of course, I want to sell 10 million records."

Jan. 24, 2006: Traded to Kings for Stojakovic, but trade falls through because Artest does not want to play in Sacramento.

"We waited for about an hour and half," Pacers prez Donnie Walsh told ESPN.com. "By then, I knew there was trouble. Geoff got on the phone at about 5:30 p.m. and told me that the deal was off. That Ronnie's agent [Mark Stevens] had called and told him Ronnie didn't want to play there and then called the owners. It scared them both off.

"I told Geoff that I didn't think that Ronnie meant what his agent was saying and asked him if they'd wait until the morning for us to get this sorted out. ... I wasn't happy."

Jan. 25, 2006: Artest accepts trade to Kings after speaking with the Maloof brothers, Sacramento's owners.

Jan. 27, 2006: Kings lose in Artest's debut against Celtics. Said Artest before the game: "I'm going to play hard. That's all I can do. Things that were distractions to my team in the past -- I've learned from my mistakes, and I look forward to those things not happening."

March 17, 2006: Artest returns to Indiana for first time since trade, with his Kings 15-7 and in the playoff picture since his arrival in Sacramento.

2006-07 season
Feb. 8, 2007: Dogs owned by Artest spent a total of 77 nights at the pound since July because of poor care by their owner, costing the NBA star $1,942 in boarding and impound fees, county records show.

March 5, 2007: Artest out indefinitely with Kings after domestic violence arrest.
March 11, 2007: Artest apologizes, rejoins team.

March 21, 2007: Artest is charged with four misdemeanors charges -- battery and corporal injury to a spouse, false imprisonment, and dissuading a witness from reporting a crime -- stemming from the March 5 domestic dispute at his home. Each carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison.

March 22, 2007: Pleads not guilty to misdemeanor domestic dispute charges. A Placer County (Calif.) Superior Court judge also orders him to stay at least 100 yards away from his wife and children until further notice.

I linked it but thought no one would check it out

Lakersfan2483
07-14-2008, 03:26 AM

Hit his wife

Hit dogs

I hear what you are saying in terms of risk, but quite a few of the NBA players and athletes in general have had just as many problems off the court as Ron Artest.

Lakersfan2483
07-14-2008, 03:27 AM
My whole point is the off-the court troubles not the on the court issues with Ron Artest.

lalaland2007
07-14-2008, 03:32 AM
the only way I see the Lakers Gettin Artest w/o odom is the Lakers next best offer.

S&T Turiaf, Farmar and Ariza for Artest.

If we cant have Artest with that, then idk what will happen

Maybe mitch is tryin to convince the Kings to take Vlad n Luke but

Kings would want the next best players after odom.

i hope for this trade

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=25~3000~2426~3002~1016&teams=13~13~23~23~23&te=&cash=

but who knows.

Without the speculation, i think Artest would be in LA

but now, i dont know.

Lakersfan2483
07-14-2008, 03:32 AM
I don't agree with either the off-the court on the on the court issues by the way.

NDP1981
07-14-2008, 03:45 AM
I can picture the conversation now:

Artest: Yo Mitch trade for me and I promise not to hit any fans.

Mitch: Are you still a Pacer?

Artest: umm no....hey can I have some time off during the year to promote my new record.

Mitch: Well I do like country, hey do you think I can somehow find away to get back Cook in a trade? Oh and can you find Kwame for me he kind of disappeared after Jerry West helped me get that Spanish Guy..

G-Funk
07-14-2008, 05:53 AM
The Kings are interested in helping themselves by getting rid of Artest and Thomas and taking on Odoms expiring at a whopping 14 million after next season. The Maloof brothers figure to be big players in the summer of 09-10 when Wayde and Lebron become available. Having 14 million dollars in cap room is huge. I think Odom's contract is leaving the Maloof's salivating along with many other organizations in the league.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Subtract 8 mill. William's(ron's) contract will be done same year as Odom's also Kenny's does too the year after, so I think that a deal of Ariza, Farmar is more possibe.

Shyt, to be honest how bad can we do with Lamar at 3, he is way better than any SF we had last year on our team(by far), and we all now that Gasol will be better at his natural positon once Bynum gets back, I know that Artest would be an upgrade, and I agree we all want what's best for our team, As a matter of fact I was the first if not one of the first to want Artest in this team and I would be more than glad to have him here, but if it doesn't happen' we should all be happy that we have Odom playing SF instead of Luke or Radman, and that goes to the posters who are downgrading LO who has been loyal to us since day 1. So whether this trade happens or not we're in great shape and be happy with what we got, cause well all know that ther is more than half of the NBA that wish they had Odom as there 4th option.

Take him. Everybody in Sac Town is sick of his ****. Love everything about his game. He's an idiot. He thinks because Elton Brand and Baron Davis got big money, he could have gotten the same. Corey Maggette got the MLE, Ron. That's exactly what you would have gotten.

Odom for Artest and Kenny. Do it.

You and a few others on this forum are the one's who would probably remember that I always wanted Artest on this team and you always backed him up, and wanted to keep him, I know that your offended or hurt by his comments lately, one of the 2. I can tell.

Hit his wife

Hit dogs

hopefully he hits some of our players to knock some sence into them.

KBfrom8to24
07-14-2008, 06:43 AM

I'd prefer to keep the team in tact but my last option would be to gamble on a guy who is constantly sacrificing the team concept to promote himself. Aside from his rap BS he also has wife and dog beating to add to that. If he is playing he's been shown to jack and force shots while complaining about teammates and being one of the easiest players to get under his skin and lakertake out of a game.

The way you talk craps against Kobe, proves that you are not really a lakers fan...but only a Magic Johnsons's fan. Why you hate Kobe so much? If i am not mistaken you just want Magic to be the greatest laker of all time. But since Kobe is threatening his legacy you became his number one hater. Am I right?

Lakerfan32
07-14-2008, 01:43 PM
The way you talk craps against Kobe, proves that you are not really a lakers fan...but only a Magic Johnsons's fan. Why you hate Kobe so much? If i am not mistaken you just want Magic to be the greatest laker of all time. But since Kobe is threatening his legacy you became his number one hater. Am I right?

I get that alot. I am not a Kobe hater but I will call him out when he screws up and think that everyone is happy blaming every Laker but Kobe for the Finals when Kobe played horrible on both sides of the court and was a major reason for our loss.

He has talent but he was taken out of his offensive rhythm and refused to make adjustments or go to the rack to find his shot. Defensively he had an opportunity to shut down Pierce and basically solidify his legacy and he didn't. This was a series where we really needed Kobe to play team ball and be a good defender and he did neither.

I have given Kobe props when he deserves it but if you guys are gonna rip on our team and blame them for the Finals, it's only fair that a major piece of that be mentioned.

I do love Magic but am not even the least bit worried about Kobe taking his thunder, you'd have to watched Magic play to know what I mean. I wouldn't mind Kobe succeeding, just not at the expense of our team. I don't mind him scoring as long as he isn't stalling the offense and jacking shots. I love when he blows by his guy and makes a great pass. When he gets pissed and shuts his man down.

Just too often he'll try and back a guy down and force a shot, he'll play help D and his man will burn him, or he'll take a harder shot rather than make the extra pass.

All things said, I would LOVE for Kobe to play well and succeed, just not gonna ignore it if he isn't cause someone should point out the double standard on here. Lakers fan first and foremost though and will support Kobe

lalaland2007
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Bring Artest

Let Mitch do his thing.

Catfish1314
07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
You and a few others on this forum are the one's who would probably remember that I always wanted Artest on this team and you always backed him up, and wanted to keep him, I know that your offended or hurt by his comments lately, one of the 2. I can tell.

And now...I can't wait to get rid of him. He clearly doesn't want to be here, he's a dumbass with a ridiculous ego, and to top it all off he's a dumbass. Kevin Martin's becoming better than even I thought he would be so we won't miss Ron much.

LukesLALOVE21
07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
And now...I can't wait to get rid of him. He clearly doesn't want to be here, he's a dumbass with a ridiculous ego, and to top it all off he's a dumbass. Kevin Martin's becoming better than even I thought he would be so we won't miss Ron much.

Cool will take him!

Fisher
Kobe
Ron
Pau
Bynum

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidiculious!

KP24
07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
do this deal so we can get artest and next year get an expiring contract in kenny thomas, then pull another steal.:D

Packersfan
07-14-2008, 06:52 PM
I can picture the conversation now:

Artest: Yo Mitch trade for me and I promise not to hit any fans.

Mitch: Are you still a Pacer?

Artest: umm no....hey can I have some time off during the year to promote my new record.

Mitch: Well I do like country, hey do you think I can somehow find away to get back Cook in a trade? Oh and can you find Kwame for me he kind of disappeared after Jerry West helped me get that Spanish Guy..

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! it wasnt very funny

NDP1981
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! it wasnt very funny

Maybe not,but Mr. Packer Brett Farve banished to a back up sure the hell is. :D

AllTheWay
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I would either want to keep Odom or get Gerald Wallace....

SouljahPhil...
07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
farmar.,ariza.,mihm.,rights to sun yue.,2nd rounders and cash.....

_Sn1P3r_
07-14-2008, 10:05 PM
wow, good find! :D

Lakers are trying to keep Odom and get Artest? thats bold!

So who would come off the bench then if Odom remains intact?

amos1er
07-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Bring Artest

Let Mitch do his thing.

Mitch can only do his thing with Jerry West is pulling strings for him.