PDA

View Full Version : Ideological Discussion

Thearchitect33
07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I was fooling around with a fantasy mock draft the other day and couldn't quit thinking about it afterwards. I realize that there will be great variance from one league set up to another, but it seemed to me that the best I could do was to get about 11 of 22 players that were solid or elite. The others were all average or below average. I realized that my choices reflect my personal beliefs about what a football team really needs. This is essentially how it breaks down.

My 11 *elite* players would be divided between the offense and defense as follows:

Offense: 5
Defense: 6

Obviously, I tried to keep it balanced, but I tend to emphasize defense.

Offense:
I think at least three of my top players need to be on the offensive line, probably two tackles and a guard or two guards and a tackle. Behind a good offensive line, the Broncos have proven that any back can be successful. It would be ridiculous to suggest that the offensive line is the only factor, to me, a good offensive line will make a decent back above average and an elite back dominant. I think I would spend my other two players at QB and WR. You really need at least one deep threat and a good leader to keep the defense from stacking the box on your running back.
Defense:
I spent three of my top player picks on the defensive line here. The defensive line is supremely important in my estimation. I would probably go two ends and a tackle. You need at least one of each to keep the opposing QB from simply stepping up in the pocket to avoid the rush from the ends. Also, a tackle can help keep offensive lineman off your linebackers which makes them more effective filling gaps against the run. I spent one top pick on a MLB because of the three linebacker positions, to me this one is the most important. A good MLB is essentially the QB of the defense in most schemes, and will vastly improve your chances particulary if he is good at reading and reacting. The remaining two picks I spent at FS and CB. One shutdown corner is really a must, and in my estimation, a great FS can help not only in assisting the corners and linebackers in coverage, but also in stuffing the run and occasionally a blitz from the secondary.

So there's my breakdown, for what it's worth. Feel free to tear apart my opinion, I just thought it might be interesting to see what fellow fans thought. Also, feel free to use your 11 picks to set up your ideal team.

kcchiefs_82
07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
My 11 picks...

Offense: I would agree on picking at least 3 lineman so I would pick a LT LG and RT. Then of course I would pick a QB. Then a elite RB. A elite RB can open opportunities for the rest of the team. a PA pass can realy open recievers. It makes a QB alot better. and last I would use a top pick on a reciever

Defense: I would take 1 DE and a DT. A elite DT can open up opportunities for every player on defense. they can keep heat of the DEs so that is why I only picked one DE because a great DT can make an average DE look elite. Then I would pick 2 Corners to shut down any pass game a team might have. a FS. I chose a FS instead of a SS because If i had to choose which one was elite I would choose the one that is usualy in place for a int. then I would choose a LB because they are usualy good leaders if they are elite.

Thearchitect33
07-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I can see your point about the Running back and the D-tackle. All in all though we have more in common than not. I appreciate the post.

FKNRUEHH925
07-16-2008, 03:18 PM
i would do the opp i would take 6 offence and 5 defence
offence i would take a LG, LT, and RG, a QB HB and WR

defence a DT a RE a LOLB CB and FS

RustShack
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
I'll go based on our defense... DT, MLB, DE, CB, SS, OLB
Then on offense I'll go with... LT, QB, HB, WR, RT