PDA

View Full Version : Should the Red Sox shake up the lineup when Ortiz returns?

Strumpy
07-13-2008, 05:28 PM
As many of you already know, David Ortiz is suppose to return to the Red Sox lineup on July 25, 2008 vs. the Yankees. Before David Ortiz was placed on the DL Drew was hitting 7th while Youkilis was drifting as high as 2nd and as low as 6th. Since Ortiz has been out, both Drew and Youkilis have found comfortable spots hitting in the 3rd and 6th respectively. Ortiz has been hitting 3rd for almost all of his career at Boston.
So my question is, should the Red Sox return to their old lineup, stick Ortiz in a different spot, or completely rearrange the order? (Remember, Lugo as just placed on the 15 day DL with a quad injury).

TheLogical
07-13-2008, 06:01 PM
This would be my lineup,

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Manny
Lowell
Youk
Drew
Lowrie
Varitek

stevepark0
07-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Ellsbury
Pedroia
Drew
Ortiz
Ramirez
Youkilis
Lowell
Lowerie
Varitek

Drews OBP is higher than papis and it provides a bigger punch at the bottom of the lineup

MVPOrtiz201
07-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Drews OBP is higher than papis and it provides a bigger punch at the bottom of the lineup

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Manny
Drew
Lowell
Youk
Varitek
Lowrie

As regards to the post, Ortiz's OBP is only down so low because of the couple of bad months, in May, when he was back to the old Ortiz, his OBP was back up. I wouldn't move Ortiz from the 3 spot when he's been one of the best run producers in that spot for the last couple of years.

Plus thats a good L,R,L combo

Strumpy
07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Plus thats a good L,R,L combo

With the way that Drew is hitting right now I'd keep him 3rd and with Lugo out they need some speed at the bottom of the lineup.

Pedroia
Youkilis
Drew
Ramirez
Ortiz
Lowell
Ellsbury
Lowrie
Varitek

When Lugo comes back Ellsbury should be put back on top and Youk should be dropped to 5th, 6th or 7th, depending on the performance of Ortiz, Drew and Lowell.

papipapsmanny
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
im thinking with ellsbury struggling.....
1.) Pedrioa
2.) Drew
3.) Ortiz
4.) Manny
5.) Lowell
6.) Youkilis
7.) Ellsbury
8.) Lowrie
9.) Varitek

i would bump ellsbury down until he hits better and learns not to let pitches right down the pipe go by, he has to learn to hit those inside pitches, low and in is his weakness, and that i where lefties usually excel

Tragedy
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Drew should stay in the 3 spot when Ortiz returns. Drew is doing so well, so why shake it up and put a guy that may struggle out of the gates?

bagwell368
07-14-2008, 12:45 AM
OBP at the top is what produces runs - period. Do any sim you want. This is the best line-up.

Pedroia
Drew
Manny
Ortiz
Youk
Lowell
Ellsbury
Tek/Cash
Lowrie/Cora

Quiz: who is the best leadoff hitter of all time?

Answer: Ted Williams - highest career OBP (and after WWII by a ton (.482)).

kingredsox89
07-14-2008, 01:27 AM
1. Ellsbury
2. pedroia
3. drew
4. manny
5. ortiz
6. lowell
7. A new short stop dont know who but a new one
8. Tek/ cash
9. Youk - the only reason y i have him there cuz we need some body 2 hit in the bottom of the line up cuz i we should had 1 that gam against the yankees when it was bases loaded and no out and the bottom of our line up didnt do **** and i dont want that 2 happen again

asomen
07-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Ellsbury
Pedroia
Drew
Manny
Ortiz
Youk
Lowell
Lowrie
Varitek

Youk is on fire so he shouldn't bat any lower than 5th. Why change something good when Drew is playing mvp ball at the 3 spot? Manny has been playing good ball at the 5 spot. See how Ortiz reacts in the 5 spot and if he doesn't produce than go back to the original lineup. But Drew is finally producing after a year so keep him the way he is,

RSF1977
07-14-2008, 07:58 AM
With the way that Drew is hitting right now I'd keep him 3rd and with Lugo out they need some speed at the bottom of the lineup.

Pedroia
Youkilis
Drew
Ramirez
Ortiz
Lowell
Ellsbury
Lowrie
Varitek

When Lugo comes back Ellsbury should be put back on top and Youk should be dropped to 5th, 6th or 7th, depending on the performance of Ortiz, Drew and Lowell.

I never thought of this lineup and the more I look at it the more I like it.
It makes too much sense and prob won't happen though.

If not that line up I'd like to see

Pedroia
Youk
Drew
Manny
Ortiz
Lowell
Lowrie
Tek
Ellsbury

Just for the Righty lefty
Ells at the bottom so Pedroia can knock him in later
and I think you create more opps with Drew getting better looks cause of manny and so on up the lineup.

But I actually like Strumpy's lineup better.

lil'papi
07-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Drew the last 30days is hitting .259 his OBP is fine because he walks a ton.

Leave Ortiz where ever he was. He will have played about 6-7 games by the time he returns and countless BC sessions. Drew can't hold a candle to him. Consistency is way more important in run producing roles. With Drew high OBP he makes a nice two holer....or youk but youk runs like a bull in spain.

Unles Ortiz asks out of the 3 hole. I highly doubt it.....

Ellsbury needs plate discipline and to bunt more often. I'm not against moving him down if Pedy doesn't mind leadoff. Youk can hit anywhere.....

Pedy
drew
ortiz
manny
lowell or youk
youk or lowell
ellsbury
tek
lowrie

moneyball
07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Anyone who has watched Tito manage should know that Ortiz will return to his regular spot and will stay there.

MVPOrtiz201
07-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Drew the last 30days is hitting .259 his OBP is fine because he walks a ton.

Leave Ortiz where ever he was. He will have played about 6-7 games by the time he returns and countless BC sessions. Drew can't hold a candle to him.

I agree with that, one month of Drew doing great, shouldn't discount the countless months of Ortiz doing great there. Move Ellsbury then (for now), and have guys that get on base in the 1 and 2 hole. I don't know about any of you, but I'd much rather have Ortiz up with runners on then Drew.

RSF1977
07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
I never thought of this lineup and the more I look at it the more I like it.
It makes too much sense and prob won't happen though.

If not that line up I'd like to see

Pedroia
Youk
Drew
Manny
Ortiz
Lowell
Lowrie
Tek
Ellsbury

Just for the Righty lefty
Ells at the bottom so Pedroia can knock him in later
and I think you create more opps with Drew getting better looks cause of manny and so on up the lineup.

But I actually like Strumpy's lineup better.

so much for proofreading my own posts.:o
I meant to quote bagwells post cause thats the lineup I liked.
oops

PapelbonLester
07-14-2008, 03:31 PM
why mess with sucess? Ellsbury, Pedroia, Ortiz, Manny, Drew, Lowell, Youk, Lowrie, and of course tek hitting last. Lowell and Youk behind drew should keep him hitting. Both are having all star years. youk being an allstar. but if we had tiexeria in that lineup behind manny in front of drew and lowell. 08 world series champs 3 times in 5 years!!!!! i can see it now