PDA

View Full Version : Wheels falling off Rays wagon

TheShowzOver
07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Well looks like the wheels are falling off the Rays bandwagon. Losing 6 in a row, they are finally coming off their high horse a bit

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=3731931

blujaysrock
07-13-2008, 12:04 PM
at least now sox, yanks, and jays have a chance too catch up although sox are only .5 games back.

TheShowzOver
07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Yea, going to be quite a race. I'm still waiting on the Yankees to heat up and make a stab at the division like they do every year. Should be interesting to say the least

lil'papi
07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Away from TB they are vulnerable , like us. They also imo don't have enough offense or BP. Now some adversity.....

Yankees unless they secure a pitcher. I doubt they make a push anything like last year. They are very much alive and dangerous with that offense.

We get another BP arm and Ortiz comes back strong, watch out baby....we've only had a full lineup together for 12 games this year.

We right the road games ship we will be a tough nut to crack.
TB will be ok.....I just am not sure how they respond to falling out of the tree , so hard and fast. Time will tell....

Tragedy
07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
If the Rays don't pick things up soon and Ortiz comes back swinging, that's the end of them.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-15-2008, 10:40 AM
A week or so ago, after getting swept by the Rays, people were saying the same things about this team.

They've got the talent. I won't count them as dead in the water anytime soon.

iam brett favre
07-15-2008, 10:53 AM
See: post i made in the MLB forum predicting this..

CBON9
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
The one thing that the Rays lack is the experience on how to handle a situation like this, which is something that both the Sox and Yanks have plenty of. For example (and forgive me for not having a link) in his last loss, Scott Kazmir said that the Rays need to stop focusing on where the Red Sox are in the standings, but just taking and winning one game at a time and not get ahead of themselves.

Talent can only take you so far, whereas experience on overcoming adversity is a vital part of being successful.

Superiority
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
too bad the All-Star break had to come

Lord Byron 34
07-16-2008, 09:21 PM
The one thing that the Rays lack is the experience on how to handle a situation like this, which is something that both the Sox and Yanks have plenty of. For example (and forgive me for not having a link) in his last loss, Scott Kazmir said that the Rays need to stop focusing on where the Red Sox are in the standings, but just taking and winning one game at a time and not get ahead of themselves.

Talent can only take you so far, whereas experience on overcoming adversity is a vital part of being successful.

Good point. The Rays are still a year or two from being true contenders. They have no starters over the age of 26. Their best hitter is a rookie. Their closer is Troy "DL" Percival. However, they have a tremendous amount of talent, and if they can keep it all together and add a couple of veterans to the mix, they could be scary come 2010. Everyone knew that this was coming with all of the talent they had in the minors a couple years back. Now the problem is finding the money to keep all of their stars in TB. Thank God they don't have Josh Hamilton.

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
i agree with the premise that the rays will suffer psychologically due to a lack of playoff experience, but it would be quite concerning if the lack of experience was affecting them in july, which i don't think is the case. granted, a seven game losing streak is nothing to shrug off like its no big deal, but there are still about 65-70 games left in the regular season. the rays are only a half game back, and while, if you look at my post in the mlb second half predictions forum, i did predict that the rays would end up in third place, i think its way too early to say that the wheels are falling off. they are still very much in the race, and they will remain there until late september. they have too much talent right now to start playing like the old devil rays.

kRispy
07-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Rays are little fishes in a pond along with Toronto, Batimore.

TheShowzOver
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
A week or so ago, after getting swept by the Rays, people were saying the same things about this team.

They've got the talent. I won't count them as dead in the water anytime soon.

Well anyone who thought that about the Sox must not be a sports fan because the Red Sox are built to last. A team like the Rays isn't ready right now i think

TheLogical
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
The Rays fans are bandwagoners no offence to them but its true, that place was deserted last year now its usually packed.

Anyways, the Rays have alot of talent but almost no experience, I don't think they are going to come back from this.

i am bob
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
This wsa bound to happen. One team can't go from the bottom of the division and win the world series. They lack the experiece but will gain some and next year you can expect them not to have a dropoff like this. We better watch out.

The Intimidator
07-17-2008, 07:54 PM
The Rays fans are bandwagoners no offence to them but its true, that place was deserted last year now its usually packed.

Anyways, the Rays have alot of talent but almost no experience, I don't think they are going to come back from this.

they are still only 0.5 games back, regardless of the fact that they blew a huge lead in only a week. this will be a race until the last couple of weeks, where the pressure will indeed affect them, and they will fall into 3rd place.

lil'papi
07-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Nobody watches a loser. Lose long enough and they all go away. Except with them they NEVER had any......

They have excellent starting pitching that goes along way towards winning. They have some nice young players too. Marlins won without much experience.

One thing to consider is they have 41 away games left. RS have 31 away games left. NYY have 35-36 away games left.

10 game disparity will surely hurt them. Nevermind they aren't easy away series! They will get dinged by that alone.
We play great at home. Not a good combination.