PDA

View Full Version : New Day of Game Ticket Policy at Wrigley

Hot Lava
07-13-2008, 11:51 AM
FYI:

I found out today that Wrigley has implemented a new day of game ticket purchase policy. Instead of opening at 8am, the ticket windows now open at 10:20. And you can no longer buy a SRO ticket and go to the bar until the game. Upon purchasing your ticket, they put you in a holding area (where they don't serve food or beer) and make you wait an hour until the gates open. You then have to go right in to the game. The tickets don't have barcodes so you can't get in through the normal gates. I talked to the nice ticket lady and she said that they tried this yesterday and it worked so well they think they are going to stick with it. Just thought some on here might like to know so they don't shag their ***** out of bed at 8 to go get tickets like I did today.

harborboy
07-13-2008, 01:05 PM
i went yesterday and was pissed. my buddy who was supposed to buy tix never got them so i decided to wake up early(5:45) get to the ball park in time(6:45-7) and wait in line for tix while my friend made his way up to the ball park later. when i got there, i was told that i could only buy 1 ticket, that instead of 8am they would go on sale at 9:20, that i could not put any on will call for my friends, and that upon buying a ticket, i had to go into a holding pen and wait until 10:00am. if i left the holding pen i could not go into the ball park.

needless to say, i was pissed. i drove from NW indiana for nothing. i would up having to pay $90 for 500 level seats from a ticket broker. i have never been more frustrated in my life.

CubsGirl
07-13-2008, 01:14 PM
i went yesterday and was pissed. my buddy who was supposed to buy tix never got them so i decided to wake up early(5:45) get to the ball park in time(6:45-7) and wait in line for tix while my friend made his way up to the ball park later. when i got there, i was told that i could only buy 1 ticket, that instead of 8am they would go on sale at 9:20, that i could not put any on will call for my friends, and that upon buying a ticket, i had to go into a holding pen and wait until 10:00am. if i left the holding pen i could not go into the ball park.

needless to say, i was pissed. i drove from NW indiana for nothing. i would up having to pay $90 for 500 level seats from a ticket broker. i have never been more frustrated in my life.
Youd think theyd have a) an announcement, and b) some sort of leeway for the rest of the season for people who had no idea.

cubsfan9124
07-13-2008, 05:11 PM
so how much are sro tix anyway?

cubsfreak19
07-13-2008, 05:43 PM
A holding pen huh? Wow and you think they couldnt think of anything else crazier lol. I want to get a official release from the Cubs on why a holding pen?

harborboy
07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
A holding pen huh? Wow and you think they couldnt think of anything else crazier lol. I want to get a official release from the Cubs on why a holding pen?

it was total lunacy. one of the ppl on crowd control even called it "gitmo". people were livid. no one wanted to answer any questions, we were talked down too and ignored. i would also like to see an official release.

croce_99
07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Strange. I bought SRO ticket about 2-3 weeks ago for $15 from the Cubs. It was a normal looking ticket.

Very very stupid idea

cubswoo
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
It is probably to deter the scumbag scalpers who try and buy up all the tickets and go out on the street and sell them for double face or more.
True Cubs fans wont mind waiting in line or in a room.

NORTH10
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
It is probably to deter the scumbag scalpers who try and buy up all the tickets and go out on the street and sell them for double face or more.
True Cubs fans wont mind waiting in line or in a room.

to me, i like the idea and dont like the idea.....ive been in line for hours waiting to get a ticket and u see 5-6 scalplers ahead of u who buy there tickets and sell them for 50$ more, it aggravates me they do that, i like the idea but its unfair to those who dont scalp....they should do this a different way to keep scalpers out

croce_99
07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
The cubs better not care about scalping. They have their own "premium ticket booth" on site right outside the gates entrance! They scalp their own tickets for more money. I tried buying a bleacher ticket 2-3 weeks ago from that place and they wanted over $80.
The cubs better be more concerned with beggars and bums on the property instead of people buying 4 tickets to try and make a buck.

redbird89
07-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Well that sucks.

Scalping is legal at Busch now, but I guess not all ballparks allow it. Teams do it, though. I mean sure, scalping tickets for more is bad, but this "holding pen" idea just sounds dumb. I guess instead of getting your ticket and going to get something to eat before the game you have to go into the "holding pen", then pay a ridiculous amount for ballpark food, which is probably why the team is doing this.

After the Missouri Legislature repealed the ban on scalping sports tickets last fall, Cardinals tickets have become readily available this season.

I guess Kansas City you can buy scalped tickets, but they don't sell out much, so I don't know why you would need to.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/5BA022451E750B258625747B00122CDC?OpenDocument

This is how Busch works apparently:

The St. Louis Cardinals and KTRS 550-AM, the team's flagship radio station, are pleased to announce the return in 2008 of the popular "First Pitch Tickets" program, with a new upgrade! There will now be DOUBLE the amount of vouchers (275) available for every home game!

Every game day during the regular season the first 275 fans to visit the Busch Stadium 8th Street ticket window when it opens at 9 a.m. will be able to purchase a pair of tickets to that day or evening's Cardinals game for just $11, or $5.50 each.

Here's how it works:

The first 275 customers at the Busch Stadium Eighth Street ticket window, located near Gate 3, at 9 a.m. on game day will be asked to show a picture ID as they purchase a voucher entitling the fan to receive two tickets at $5.50 each later that day.
The tickets - a virtual grab bag of locations returned to the ticket office by Cardinals players, the visiting club, sponsors, groups and others - may be anywhere within the ballpark, from field or terrace level to standing room only.
Ten minutes before game time - at 7 p.m. sharp for a 7:10 p.m. game, for instance - fans will be asked to produce their picture ID and voucher at the "First Pitch Tickets" sign at Gate 5 on Clark Street to claim their tickets and enter Busch Stadium. Tickets will be in sealed envelopes and distributed on a completely random basis. Exchanges will not be permitted.
Tickets will be distributed at the First Pitch Tickets entrance until 20 minutes after scheduled game time.
Fans must enter the ballpark through Gate 5, immediately upon receiving their tickets.
Only 275 ticket pairs - or 550 tickets total - will be available for each home game throughout the 2008 season.

Sounds similar to the way the Cubs do it. I guess most teams do it.
Why can't the Cubs give vouchers (that can't really be sold) instead of tickets?

What do the Cubs do for night games?

croce_99
07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I see nothing wrong with scalping tickets. If a broker wants to take a chance in April and buy 1000 tickets in August, then help yourself. If the cubs play well, then he'll do well. If the cubs play horrible, then I'll be able to watch a game for 5 bucks because nobody will pay premium.

Besides, if you wait until the game starts, you can ALWAYS...ALWAYS get tickets from a broker for cheap.
It amazes me when people buy outside wrigley 2 hours before the game starts. Why?? Just wait and you'll get in for next to nothing.

Dumb fans allow brokers to make money
Smart fans will get in for a fair price