PDA

View Full Version : 08-09 Eastern Conference not an easy task

Global Celtic
07-13-2008, 09:13 AM
The Eastern Conference seems to get stronger and stronger. Miami, New Jersey and Philadelphia look clearly "ugpgraded" from last season.
Our task won't be easy...

Sixers
in - Elton Brand
out - Calvin Booth, Rodney Carney
Signed an All-Star player without losing Igoudala (until now).

Nets
in - Brook Lopez, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons, Ryan Anderson
out - Richard Jefferson, DeSagana Diop
Nice Draft picks and a good R.Jefferson deal.

Heat
in - Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers, James Jones, David Padgett, Jason Richards
out - Alexander Johnson
A possible starting five with Chalmers-Wade-Marion-Beasley looks very promising.

Hawks
Haven't signed anyone important but they're young and talented (remember the playoffs?). And they can only get better...

Cavaliers
in - JJ Hickson
out -
Good draft pick.

Knicks
in - Chris Duhon, Danilo Galinari
out -
Finally they got a good PG (Duhon), and D'Antoni is the best coach they have for years.

Magic
in - Mickael Pietrus, Courtney Lee
out -
C.Lee is a scorer and Pietrus could be a good 6th man.

Raptors
in - Jermaine O'Neal, Nathan Jawai, Hassan Adams
out - TJ Ford, Maceo Baston, Rasho Nesterovic, Jorge Garbajosa
O'Neal and Jawai are an upgrade from Nesterovic and Garbajosa.

Wizards
in - Javale McGee
out - Roger Mason
McGee looks promising and they kept Arenas and Jamison.

69centers
07-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Philly may not be able to keep Igoudala, now that they paid Brand so much. The team that will be the most difficult is in our division: Toronto.

Cowboy Up
07-13-2008, 11:59 AM
If Philly keeps Iguodala then I see Boston winning about 56-57 games with Toronto and Philly each getting about 48.

Until they prove otherwise though, Detroit is the main competition. Once they're eliminated before the conference finals then I'll be willing to say that someone else is the main threat.

However, teams to look out for include Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto, and maybe Chicago.

Celticsfan2007
07-13-2008, 12:02 PM
its going to be toss up between the magic and raptors, however i still expect detriot to be right there when its all said and done.

Teams thats won't be very good. NETS, and CAVALIERS will take a step back from last year, lebron can only carry them so far.

rufo4100
07-13-2008, 12:03 PM
If Philly keeps Andre Iguadala then they will be our toughest opponent. Philly was good last year without him and will be better this year. Cleveland will be the same and Detroit will probably be a step slower inless they make a major move and even if Detroit does make a move they might have to take a step backwards before taking 2 steps forward.

I think Toronto will be better but Jermaine O'Neal is injury prone. I also think Washington will be the same as 2006-2007 which is decent but not the best team in the East.

I really think if Atlanta resigns Josh Smith that they will be a decent team next season also.

Based on what has happened this offseason so far I look for the east to finish as follows.

1. Boston
2. Philly
3. Detroit? if no trades are made
4. Orlando
5. Toronto
6. Washington
7. Cleveland
8. Atlanta ? if Smith is resigned.

9. Milwaukee will make the playoffs if Josh Smith doesnt resign with Atlanta

Faneik
07-14-2008, 07:09 AM
The Eastern Conference seems to get stronger and stronger. Miami, New Jersey and Philadelphia look clearly "ugpgraded" from last season.

I don't think the Nets upgraded, they are clearing cap space for 2010...

I worry about:

1. Sixers --> Brand is a huge upgrade over Reggie Evans

2. Cavs --> IMO, they were the hardest team we faced in the PO's (including the Finals).

3. Pistons --> Eastern Conference Finals are their 2nd home, but seems like Dumars wants to make some trades, so I don't know exactly where they will stand.

4. Magic --> Dwight improves each season and that means the Magic improve too.

5. Raptors --> If JO is injury-free they are a top Eastern contender.

6. Wizards --> If they're healthy they're good.

7. Hawks --> If they keep Josh Smith and Childress.

8. Heat --> A healthy Wade, Marion and Beasley means they have good chances to be in the PO's.

9. Bulls --> They'll make significant moves this summer,so like the Pistons, I don't know where they'll stand. I expect Rose to be an impact player.

10. Bucks --> Richard Jefferson made them a stronger team.

Edwin
07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Boston- best record in the league and won nba the championship. If posey and house comes back its an automatic repeat.
Detroit- its like 7 years straight in easten conference finals right.They'' be bac
Orlando or Washington- they were both pretty good last year
Cleveland- you could never count them out because of lebron
Miami-dwaynes back and healthy so this team is going to be in it and marion and second round pick.

The rest is whatever. I dont think their that strong, maybe chicago will surprise us again but their not a definite. The rest is is the order below i think eastern confernce will look like.
Toronto
Chicago
Philadelphia
Milwaukee
Atlanta - Charlotte
New Jersey
Indiana
New York Knicks

SHONIE
07-14-2008, 09:49 AM
JO is overrated. People are assuming he'll be back 100% and blah blah blah... Its not happening. Toronto will be good yes, but in a 7 game series we would wreck them. They have no answer for pierce.

Brand is a VERY solid player, however he is undersized at the PF position. KG would dominate him at both ends of the floor, and perk, powe, and baby would get in there to pound him around.

Washington at its best doesn't have enough to get past us.

Orlando would be in a GREAT position if they hadn't ever signed Rashard Lewis. He is nothing near what that team needs. If they trade him for something that better suits their team, they will be very good.

Cleveland needs to make a move.

Chicago is a joke.

Miami is relying upon a rookie as their top big. In the playoffs they'd get steamrolled.

The bucks are the bucks.

If Detroit gets T-Mac without giving up too much they will definitely be contenders

I think that a lot of teams made decent improvements but as far as being a postseason team goes, I think that the celtics are still one step ahead of any other team.

JordansBulls
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Sixers
in - Elton Brand
out - Calvin Booth, Rodney Carney
Signed an All-Star player without loosing Igoudala (until now).

Nets
in - Brook Lopez, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons, Ryan Anderson
out - Richard Jefferson, DeSagana Diop
Nice Draft picks and a good R.Jefferson deal.

Heat
in - Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers, James Jones, David Padgett, Jason Richards
out - Alexander Johnson
A possible starting five with Chalmers-Wade-Marion-Beasley looks very promising.

Hawks
Haven't signed anyone important but they're young and talented (remember the playoffs?), and they can only get better...

Cavaliers
in - JJ Hickson
out -
Good Draft pick.

Knicks
in - Chris Duhon, Danilo Galinari
out -
Finally they got a good PG (Duhon), and D'Antoni is the best coach they have for years.

Magic
in - Mickael Pietrus, Courtney Lee
out -
C.Lee is a good scorer and Pietrus could be a good 6th man.

Raptors
in - Jermaine O'Neal, Nathan Jawai, Hassan Adams
out - TJ Ford, Maceo Baston, Rasho Nesterovic, Jorge Garbajosa
O'Neal and Jawai are an upgrade from Nesterovic and Garbajosa.

Wizards
in - Javale McGee
out - Roger Mason
McGee looks promising and they kept Arenas and Jamison.

Nice breakdown. I think the team that gave you guys trouble last year were the Wizards because of their offense.

rufo4100
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think the Nets upgraded, they are clearing cap space for 2010...

I worry about:

1. Sixers --> Brand is a huge upgrade over Reggie Evans

2. Cavs --> IMO, they were the hardest team we faced in the PO's (including the Finals).

3. Pistons --> Eastern Conference Finals are their 2nd home, but seems like Dumars wants to make some trades, so I don't know exactly where they will stand.

4. Magic --> Dwight improves each season and that means the Magic improve too.

5. Raptors --> If JO is injury-free they are a top Eastern contender.

6. Wizards --> If they're healthy they're good.

7. Hawks --> If they keep Josh Smith and Childress.

8. Heat --> A healthy Wade, Marion and Beasley means they have good chances to be in the PO's.

9. Bulls --> They'll make significant moves this summer,so like the Pistons, I don't know where they'll stand. I expect Rose to be an impact player.

10. Bucks --> Richard Jefferson made them a stronger team.

The cavs have done nothing to make themselves better this summer.

celticfan
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
chicago is going to be okay this year. I see an team just outside the playoffs

Frrrrank!!!
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I have to say detroit if they stay together as a group. A team that is based on D and has been together that long will be right there again. I actually think they might be better now that flip is gone.

kvrnm
07-14-2008, 01:12 PM
personally the team i am most afraid of is cleveland, besides us they play the best defense... and they played pretty well in the playoffs this year. I dont think cleveland will have one of the better records during the regular season, but come playoff time i think they will be the second best team in the east behind us.

Agent Arenas
07-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Washington Wizards

Reasoning: We are coming off a terrible post season, yes, but the fact that contracts are a non issue now, the fact that Arenas will be healthy as well as the rest of the team, we will be the number 1 seed. Arenas, Jamison, and Butler average more points a game than the Celtics big three, so offensive execution is a non factor. Wizards big three averaged 66 ppg when healthy, the Celtics big three averaged 55 ppg. Our bench players are just as good as the Celtics, now especially since James Posey is likely out of Boston and could be headed to his hometown oh Cleveland, Ohio.

boston08champs
07-15-2008, 01:04 AM
washington will give you guys the biggest trouble next year guarentee

and cavs are still gonna be there to cuz u guys still dont have any answers for lebron, however lebron has very little players around him to help so it leans towards boston

btw wizards did win the series between u guys in the season

All I Have To Say Is Go Raptors :d

also the fact that posey is leaving u guys and might end up in cleveland is gonna put u guys in a tough spot wen u guys face cavs if they land him.

tonyd3b54
07-15-2008, 02:24 AM
i love that the celtics hav competition this year itll make the playoffs and regular season that much more fun to watch.... but the celtics will still come out on top because of one thing... defense... toronto will outscore alot of people but wen it comes playoff time if their shooters arent goin good they wont win cuz the teams like the celts cavs and pistons will beat them up...philly i think has the best chance to take the celtics to 7 games cuz they hav the low post scorer(brand) along with a defensive 7 footer in dalambert, miller is a great pg...the only problem i hav with them is that thier go to scorer is igoudala and pierce/posey(if we get him) can shut him down...

CELTS20
07-15-2008, 02:43 AM
I think the postseason seedings will end up looking something like this.

1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Detroit
4. Philadelphia
5. Orlando
6. Miami
7. Toronto
8. Washington

Global Celtic
07-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Washington Wizards

Reasoning: We are coming off a terrible post season, yes, but the fact that contracts are a non issue now, the fact that Arenas will be healthy as well as the rest of the team, we will be the number 1 seed. Arenas, Jamison, and Butler average more points a game than the Celtics big three, so offensive execution is a non factor. Wizards big three averaged 66 ppg when healthy, the Celtics big three averaged 55 ppg. Our bench players are just as good as the Celtics, now especially since James Posey is likely out of Boston and could be headed to his hometown oh Cleveland, Ohio.

Arenas-Butler-Jamison are definitely a threat, but DEFENSE wins championships... offense just helps.

:D

Agent Arenas
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Arenas-Butler-Jamison are definitely a threat, but DEFENSE wins championships... offense just helps.

:D

Yes defense wins championships, but you guys are acting like the Wiz have no defense. Wizards were 12th in the league in opponents points per game, better than the Lakers who happened to get to the Finals. I don't understand how our defense is that bad.....

Global Celtic
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm not saying you have no defense. I'm just not sure that Arenas, Butler and Jamison can play D like Ray, Paul and KG.

Faneik
07-18-2008, 06:03 AM
The cavs have done nothing to make themselves better this summer.

Not yet.

But they gave us a lot of trouble last season, and they play good D.

And Lebron is crazy about winning, you can tell he wants it real bad.

Shieldsz
07-19-2008, 12:13 AM
I see you guys being number 1 still, and my sixers being number 2 or 3 seed

Silver88
07-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Pistons.

Corey
07-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I see you guys being number 1 still, and my sixers being number 2 or 3 seed

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Pistons are still possibly the best team in the East on Paper. I don't think Philly is on the same level.