PDA

View Full Version : Give Monta a year at PG, if he fails sign J-Kidd and draft a PG.

garlicboy
07-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I say we try Monta at PG. If he fails, Jason Kidd is a free agent in 2009 and will be age 36(yeah he'll be ancient). Jason Kidd is an Oaktown native. His skills are decline, but he'll always have that vision and passing ability. Kidd has never been a great shooter, and he wouldn't have to score with the firepower on our team. I'm not saying Kidd is the answer, but he'd be a great mentor for a young PG that we can draft or pick up via trade now or next year.

Conor
07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Ehhhhh it all depends if we can get him for say, 2 years at the MLE. If we have to pay more or longer term than that, not worth it.

garlicboy
07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Don Nelson made a great point that if Monta want's to be a great player, it will have to be at PG. He's just too small to play off guard. Look at the career of Allen Iverson. He'd score 30, but give up 30 as well. If Monta plays shooting guard, for the rest of his career, he'd be dependent upon having a Big PG who can defend Off Guards. In the history of the NBA how many 6'4" or taller PG's have their been? I can only think of Magic, Kidd, Payton and Dennis Johnson, as far as guys that were any good. Payton also didn't do too well guarding larger off-guards, and getting guarded by Off-guards. I still remember Ron Harper shutting him down in the finals.

bayareafan650
07-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Eh. Idk about Kidd. He is declining, and he would cost a ton for a guy who we would use as a mentor. IMO, thats what coaches are for...

garlicboy
07-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Ehhhhh it all depends if we can get him for say, 2 years at the MLE. If we have to pay more or longer term than that, not worth it.

Kidd at MLE for 2 years in 2009: $12 million total.

Trading for Billups now: $45 million total.

Billups would cost twice as much. Although Kidd can't shoot like Billups, I would rather have Kidd on our team, because we need a guy who can pass more so than another scorer. Leadership wise, I think Billups and Kidd and Equal.

Who would you gusy rather have Kidd or Billups?

I'd go Kidd.

garlicboy
07-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Eh. Idk about Kidd. He is declining, and he would cost a ton for a guy who we would use as a mentor. IMO, thats what coaches are for...

Kidd is a free agent at the end of the year and he has stated in the past that he would like to play in the Bay.

How the heck did Kidd average 10.4 assists and 8.4 rebs a game last year! That's pretty nasty for 35 year old man.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jason_kidd/career_stats.html