PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline Idea...Lowe for Renteria

Fabian43
07-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Trade Lowe to Tigers for Renteria.

My reasoning:

A) We are probably not going to sign Lowe to an extension so better to get a player for him now to help us for the stretch run.

B) Lowe wouldn't mind going to Detroit since that is where his home is. Plus the Tigers are contenders and he would have a legit playoff shot.

C) Although Renteria is having a sub par year, he is a great defender and look at his stats the last 2 years playing the National League with the Braves...he hit over .300 (.293 and .332). I think he plays better in the NL. He would also be our leadoff hitter since he spent so much time hitting leadoff early in his career or he could take over #2 hole once Pierre gets back.

D) Some may say not to trade away a good SP but we have Kershaw who we can bring up to fill his slot and Penny should be back within a month so I think our SP is a strength that we can pull from.

Give me your thoughts....

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Hell no. Not for Lowe. Are you kidding me? Dewitt has better numbers than Edgar Renteria. If we trade an arm, it will be for a BIG bat, not a mediocer SS. Especially Lowe.

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Scratch that...terrible SS.

Fabian43
07-13-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm not so sure I would call a 3-time All-Star a 'terrible SS'. He has a career batting avg of .290 and he is a great defender. Yes, he is having a down year but what other "big bat" will be available and at what price? We can't have these pipe dreams that we are gonna get some monster masher that is going to come and rescue us...and if that masher is available then it would most likely cost us some of the kids. I'm thinking realistically here because we can all dream, but Renteria is a realistic target and Lowe is expendable given we have Kershaw and Penny.

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Actually, he isn't expendable if you are trading for Renteria.
And Jones just "had a bad year" too right?
Come on. The guy is 32 years old, is hitting 254. with only 5 HR, and trading Lowe for that is garbage. We can't trade one of our top pitchers if we aren't getting something better in return.

And nobody is saying some masher is going to come and save us. There are realistic targets for power out there.. There is Texiera who refused to sign an extension with the Braves, so he can be had for a guy like Loney, and a prospect. There are options for a power bat. We will have to give up one of the "main" kids, but that is a reasonable price when you are getting Bay, or Mark Texeira in return.

So, NO! If you trade Lowe, it can not be for Renteria.

GHGHCP
07-13-2008, 09:15 AM
With Lowe we can get some nice specs from a pitching starved contender (like Philly). Why go for a washed up SS when we can get so much more?

dodgerphreak
07-13-2008, 09:39 AM
With Lowe we can get some nice specs from a pitching starved contender (like Philly). Why go for a washed up SS when we can get so much more?

I was thinking maybe trading some pitching to the Yanks or Phils cause they both need pitching badly.

BlueZoo
07-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Exactly...an -on- the- downside SS for a guy who goes out there every turn and pitches...and most of the time gives you a good if not great game?
This is just what we need...a top shelf pitcher (with still no answer for a replacement for him) for your basic used to be good player.
Man, it's unbelievable....LA, the home for mini HRs and career dwindling players.

Tragedy
07-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Agreed.

If I'm the Dodgers and I'm trading Lowe, I'm getting as many specs as possible from a team that needs pitching (Phillies, Mets, Yankees, etc). Renteria isn't bad or anything, but you're just trading one free agent to be for another.

GHGHCP
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Adrian%20Cardenas&pos=2B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502133

Can package Lowe for this guy and an arm or two from a stocked Phillies system. There, a nice trade helping both sides, we get some arms (which is always nice) and a potential 2B of the future that is getting blocked by Utley and they get a vet sinkerballer perfect for that bandbox.

We then can replace Lowe with Meloan, McDonald or Kershaw for our playoff run if we are still close. This GM stuff is easy!! :D

MrChris951
07-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Why would we trade Lowe when we are still in the running for the West? If we trade it's gotta be for something to help us not hurt us

Az_Dodgers_Fan
07-13-2008, 01:12 PM
the first and sandwich pick we would get for Lowe as a FA signing would be better than Edgar.

GHGHCP
07-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Why would we trade Lowe when we are still in the running for the West? If we trade it's gotta be for something to help us not hurt us

How would trading Lowe hurt us? He isn't going to re-sign with us and trading him for good specs will help us in the future. We have enough MLB ready arms in our farm to fill in for Lowe and it wouldn't cripple us at all if we are making a playoff run.

MrChris951
07-13-2008, 01:54 PM
How would trading Lowe hurt us? He isn't going to re-sign with us and trading him for good specs will help us in the future. We have enough MLB ready arms in our farm to fill in for Lowe and it wouldn't cripple us at all if we are making a playoff run.

We would not make the playoffs if we try going with rookies in our starting rotation. I agree with AZ_Dodgers_Fan, get the draft picks when he leaves

vader
07-13-2008, 02:02 PM
when i first heard the rumor that lowe could be traded for renteria, i thought it was a joke. seriously. i brushed it off so quickly and never gave it a second thought. and now i'm even amazed that someone here is suggesting it. i won't even get into it, but there's enough good reasons posted already as to why ned/frank will not pull the trigger on this.

LAdiablo
07-13-2008, 02:04 PM

exactly. all for trading lowe but no way for rent a ria. too old and inconsistent. i want prospects. good ones.

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 02:06 PM
exactly. all for trading lowe but no way for rent a ria. too old and inconsistent. i want prospects. good ones.

:hi5:

LAdiablo
07-13-2008, 02:10 PM

our lack of offense in this series really shows the last few series are pipe dreams. crack pipe dreams. remember winning without getting a hit? pitching and defense gets it done but you need for jones to wake up in this lineup and its not happening
without someone driving in the occasional run we plain suck
thoughts of making it to the playoffs this year are way exaggerated imo.
and i am not exactly the debbie downer of the board
trade lowe

GHGHCP
07-13-2008, 02:11 PM
We would not make the playoffs if we try going with rookies in our starting rotation. I agree with AZ_Dodgers_Fan, get the draft picks when he leaves

Good prospects >>>>>>>>>>>>> two supp picks. The draft is still a crapshoot even with evil genius Logan White at the helm. I'm more then sure McDonald or Kershaw can fill in nicely for Lowe.

Fabian43
07-13-2008, 04:19 PM
After consideration, I can see everyone's point that Renteria would not be the answer and certainly not an equitable trade for Lowe, however, I still think we should trade Lowe because by trading Lowe we are dealing away from a position of strength (pitching) in hopes of acquiring some offensive talent. Plus I seriously don't think we are gonna re-sign Lowe so we should get some PROVEN prospects instead of doing the crapshoot draft.

vader
07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
rent a ria

HAHAHAHAHAHA... nice.

Tapptout
07-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Yeah, i say we demand Matt Kemp and Kershaw....i mean isn't that who everyone else is demanding? :)

IBleedBlue15
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Trading Lowe would not be very smart. He's pitching good this year, he just doesn't get any run support as always. We can rely on him now to pitch well. Renteria is washed up. No matter how much we stick up for him, he's still washed up.

BlueMouse
07-14-2008, 12:59 AM
How does the FO explain trading our most experienced pitcher, with our opening day starter on the shelf, in the middle of a playoff run, for prospects? Los Angeles has too many fans who want to win NOW. If Lowe gets traded, and we still have a legitimate shot at our division, it will HAVE to be for someone who will contribute immediately.

I'm personally against trading Lowe.

However, I am not against trading for Rentaria. Have you heard some of the other SS names getting floated around? Are there better SS's available?

bestlakersfan
07-14-2008, 02:19 AM
^^
Thank you. The uproar over Renteria is crazy. The guy is a career .290 hitter who hit .332 last year. Detroit just had way too much hype and anticipation and the players felt the pressure like crazy. The whole team was playing awfully, not exclusive to Edgar. I am 99% sure Lowe will not resign with the Dodgers, and getting a solid position player for him would be great. Edgar would be a good fit here.

What do some of you expect, a Matt LaPorta type player for Lowe? Come on, let's be real. It will either be a solid, younger (Renteria is only 32) established major leaguer or an A-/B+/B type prospect.

Ohh and just for comparison's sake.

Furcal's Career Numbers/Renteria's Career Numbers

Average: .287/.290
OBP: .352/.347
SLG: .412/.404
OPS: .764/.754

Using ESPN projections over a 162 game season here is more:

Furcal: 12 HR/ 59 RBI/ 37 SB/ 32 2B/ 7 3B
Renteria: 11 HR/ 71 RBI/ 25 SB/ 34 2B/ 2 3B

I say go for it. Trade Lowe for Renteria. His numbers are very close to Furcal's and I think Furcal is one of the better players on the team. His contract is up after this year, with a club option for $11 million. He works out, we keep him and if not we let him go.

I can't believe the uproar over this compared to glowing reviews a scummy player like Jack Wilson got, who himself said he didn't want to be here.

GHGHCP
07-14-2008, 03:52 AM
^^
Thank you. The uproar over Renteria is crazy. The guy is a career .290 hitter who hit .332 last year. Detroit just had way too much hype and anticipation and the players felt the pressure like crazy. The whole team was playing awfully, not exclusive to Edgar. I am 99% sure Lowe will not resign with the Dodgers, and getting a solid position player for him would be great. Edgar would be a good fit here.

What do some of you expect, a Matt LaPorta type player for Lowe? Come on, let's be real. It will either be a solid, younger (Renteria is only 32) established major leaguer or an A-/B+/B type prospect.

Ohh and just for comparison's sake.

Furcal's Career Numbers/Renteria's Career Numbers

Average: .287/.290
OBP: .352/.347
SLG: .412/.404
OPS: .764/.754

Using ESPN projections over a 162 game season here is more:

Furcal: 12 HR/ 59 RBI/ 37 SB/ 32 2B/ 7 3B
Renteria: 11 HR/ 71 RBI/ 25 SB/ 34 2B/ 2 3B

I say go for it. Trade Lowe for Renteria. His numbers are very close to Furcal's and I think Furcal is one of the better players on the team. His contract is up after this year, with a club option for $11 million. He works out, we keep him and if not we let him go.

I can't believe the uproar over this compared to glowing reviews a scummy player like Jack Wilson got, who himself said he didn't want to be here.

Pierre 69 OPS+
Renteria 69 OPS+

The last ****in thing we need is another Pierre. LaPorta is a slow poor ranged masher that was blocked by 3 players on the Brewer's team (Fielder, Braun and Hall). The Brewers were tied and are in a heated playoff run with the Cubs and Cards who needed pitching (of the inning's eater type) badly because of their horrible pen getting overworked. CC was the perfect fit for them for their run and the trade was made.

In my earlier post I think the Phils would be perfect, they have a slew of top arms in their system and a nice 2B prospect that is blocked by Utley. We can always use top arms AND we need a 2B of the future as Abreu has fallen off the bloody map.

They need a top pitcher (sinker baller would be the best option for their bandbox) and we could always add arms to our system and a 2B of the future. As the deadline gets closer teams get a lil more desperate and we should take advantage of our situation as Lowe will not resign with us.

Cracka2HI!
07-14-2008, 04:07 AM
I agree that Lowe should be traded. Even though we are in it his value will be very high and he may be the best pitcher available. We have enough pitching this year that it wouldn't be a big hit lose him. I also think we should get way more than Renteria. He should go for prospects. Thats the way to get best value. A contender isn't going to want to trade a player off their MLB roster to get Lowe.

TheBatchelor213
07-14-2008, 04:36 AM
we could get more than Edgar though and guys that are having bad years probably wont come to us and start lighting it up this season, just a gut feeling.

dan1to
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Agreed.

If I'm the Dodgers and I'm trading Lowe, I'm getting as many specs as possible from a team that needs pitching (Phillies, Mets, Yankees, etc). Renteria isn't bad or anything, but you're just trading one free agent to be for another.

the first and sandwich pick we would get for Lowe as a FA signing would be better than Edgar.

Good prospects >>>>>>>>>>>>> two supp picks. The draft is still a crapshoot even with evil genius Logan White at the helm. I'm more then sure McDonald or Kershaw can fill in nicely for Lowe.

I wouldnt mind Renteria, like most here, but not for Lowe straight up!? That would be an insanely poor trade. I think Renteria could be traded for for much less, say, Hu and a minor reliever?

bestlakersfan
07-14-2008, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=GHGHCP;5855628]Pierre 69 OPS+
Renteria 69 OPS+

In my earlier post I think the Phils would be perfect, they have a slew of top arms in their system and a nice 2B prospect that is blocked by Utley. We can always use top arms AND we need a 2B of the future as Abreu has fallen off the bloody map.
QUOTE]

I can't find any 2B prospect on the Phillies that would be worth anything. Do you have a name?

BlueMouse
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
As long as we are contenders, we will not trade major league players for prospects. Period. And as of right now, we are contenders.

Also, only a contender would trade for Lowe in the first place. Detroit is 7 games out of first last I checked. I don't know their official stance, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them as sellers and try to restock their system. In other words, they shouldn't want Lowe to begin with.

I'm not sure why we are talking about trading for prospects, and I'm not sure why we are talking about Detroit wanting Lowe. Both are unrealistic.

I say we go for Rentaria ... and good news for everyone here, they won't want Lowe in exchange.

southerndodgerf
07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I would only do this if we could get Marcus thames as well. Yes, his OBP is low but if he can knock in hrs consistantly, we might actually score some runs.

GHGHCP
07-14-2008, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=GHGHCP;5855628]Pierre 69 OPS+
Renteria 69 OPS+

QUOTE]

I can't find any 2B prospect on the Phillies that would be worth anything. Do you have a name?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Adrian%20Cardenas&pos=2B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502133

Atticus Finch
07-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Renteria is a good player, but I cant see him having any huge impact on the Dodgers. The lineup is already full of singles hitters, if they are going to trade Lowe it should be for someone capable of driving in runs.

bestlakersfan
07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
GHGHCP, we have a pretty good 2B in AA right now. His name is Juan Gonzalez and here are his numbers from the year.

In 238 ABs .273/.400/.462/.862 10 HRs 40 RBIs

GHOSTSNIPER
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
theyre not kids anymore.theyve played ball their whole life.why do they keep getting babied as if they need to learn the game?

GHGHCP
07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
GHGHCP, we have a pretty good 2B in AA right now. His name is Juan Gonzalez and here are his numbers from the year.

In 238 ABs .273/.400/.462/.862 10 HRs 40 RBIs

Hes 26 dude, stuck in AA ball playing against 20-22 year olds. Adrian Cardenas is a left handed hitting 2B that's 20 years old who was voted to the Future's game and mid season all star teams. This guy can be our 2B of the future in a few years providing nice defense and some nice projected pop.

BlueMouse
07-14-2008, 03:29 PM
theyre not kids anymore.theyve played ball their whole life.why do they keep getting babied as if they need to learn the game?

WHAT ARE RANDOM THINGS PEOPLE SAY?

WHAT ARE THINGS YOU WOULD SAY IN ANOTHER THREAD?

WHAT ARE THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF?

.... did I get it yet?