PDA

View Full Version : Packers DT Jolly faces drug charge

x_notorious
07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Ray Jolly Jr. is scheduled to appear in court July 22 after being arrested last week in Houston on felony drug possession charges, according to police records.

Jolly, 25, was arrested July 8 in Houston for a possession of at least 200 grams of codeine, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Harris County District Attorney's Office. He's free on $10,000 bail, according to court records.

Jolly, a former Forest Brook High School star, played at Texas A&M University before being selected by the Packers in the 2006 NFL draft.

Jolly and his attorney, Houston-based Brian Overstreet, couldn't be reached for comment Saturday.

Calls to the Packers officials also weren't immediately returned.

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5885147.html#Intro)

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 11:16 PM
:sigh: Great this is all we need on top of the Favre drama.

hughest4
07-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Damn man, things are just not going right for the Packers at this point. Jolly played very good last year for us and i was expecting big things from him come September. With a drug charge like this he could possibly be facing a suspension from Goodell

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
LOL

I would be worried about the state penitentiary, frick Goodell.

newdude
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Great, now problem players have now hit home. If he is suspended, our line is gonna get even weaker in terms of depth, oh boy.

twelvePack
07-13-2008, 12:12 AM
WOW, I'm glad we got rid of Corey Williams. Now we are down, to Harrell. Wow, TT is dazzling me with his brilliance.

hgtiger32
07-13-2008, 12:17 AM
he won't get suspended most likely if hes a first time offender...we got rid of corey williams-shoulda upgraded our DL...thinking Phillip Merling DE from Clemson who was suppose to go 14-20

PackerFan4Ever
07-13-2008, 12:59 AM
lol isnt he dazalling us all

meandering
07-13-2008, 01:47 AM
WOW, I'm glad we got rid of Corey Williams. Now we are down, to Harrell. Wow, TT is dazzling me with his brilliance.
Williams had his own issues, mainly being soft against the run.

Jamaal Lewis held his case off for 2 years........good chance Jolly will play but, be broke! These are risks you take these days.....be glad he wasnt signed to big money - TT conservatism could pay! Is conservatism a word?lmao I am buzzed.

Last point. Packers have been seen sporting a 3-4 look early on in OTAs and camps. They might have known about this........even if they didnt, its smart to exploit our strength at LB! Poppinga Chillar, Hawk and Bennett.

Danielk Muhr should be back....along with Colin.......they will have someone playing! We know that.

beast
07-13-2008, 01:47 AM
he won't get suspended most likely if hes a first time offender...we got rid of corey williams-shoulda upgraded our DL...thinking Phillip Merling DE from Clemson who was suppose to go 14-20

I'm thinking DE Brian Johnston. He was my guess for hidden gem. He was picked in the 7th round by the chiefs one pick after, QB Matt Flynn by the Packers.

He reminded me of Kampman, he plays with a lot power. And at his pro day, had a great, day, showed that he had some great quickness for his size.

He's 6-5 276 lbs. he beat Vernon Gholston in

10 Yrd Dash with a 1.51 second time
20 Yrd Shuttle with a 4.18 second time
3-Cone Drill with a 6.96 second time

I'm not really following him, but run across a thread on a draft board about him, according to a Chiefs fan he may start. (No I don't know, if the chiefs fan knew what they were talking about or if he's trying to beat out any one good, but to start as a rookie in the NFL would sounds pretty good)

GBFan4Life
07-13-2008, 02:42 AM
i dont think this is a big deal at all. as long as he keeps batting passes down on 3rd down i dont care what he does. as far as drugs go anways. im still a lil upset about williams leavin. who did we draft with that selection?

4favre4
07-13-2008, 03:20 AM
We will end up leting him go because it will be a distraction for the team and this team is built on charicter and he is not a star so he will be out soon.
I hate to say it because he was a good player in a position that is fastly geting thin.
He will also be getting some jail time for this soon.

This is some more TT work for ya. Draft a guy in the first round that you could have got in the second round that was injury prone (still injured when drafted) Then trades our best DT for a second round pick wich we drafted a QB and we already have a QB and Brett was giving sighns everyday he wanted back. Then drafts anouther QB in the 7th round wow. By the way the QB free agent market was fairly deep. He drafts WR in 2nd and 7th good picks but dont we need or have a hole some were else ?
now we are left with a injury prone DT that showed us nothing last year I still have not lost hope in him but he sure sucked last year and was injured was that a shocker he was injured when we drafted him he was injured before and missed a whole year in colege even dating back to HIGH SCHOOL he has been injured. So was that a shocker he missed alot of time last year ?
I remind you that was the 16 pick in the draft ummmmmmmmmmmmm TT goooooooood job buddy. keep it up lets go push Favre out then go 4-12 and Favre can just go to the Vikes and light us up 2 times and win the super bowl woooo whooo TT good job buddy you show us how its done.
I got a tip for TT ( dont draft a QB in the first round of the draft next year to take Rodgers place oh wait you already did it in the second this year. )

He will most likely just get a WR or hey maybe he will live on the edge and pick up a punter.

This post is for you Tedheads. If you guys still exist.

hughest4
07-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Then trades our best DT for a second round pick wich we drafted a QB and we already have a QB and Brett was giving sighns everyday he wanted back. Then drafts anouther QB in the 7th round wow. By the way the QB free agent market was fairly deep.

I don't blame TT for taking Brohm in the 2nd round. In case you didn't know Favre and the team was supposed to announce his comeback right before the draft, but then he decided he wanted to stay retired. At this point would you risk not drafting a decent backup QB for your team?

beast
07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
We will end up leting him go because it will be a distraction for the team and this team is built on charicter and he is not a star so he will be out soon.

What? Why would we let him go? Yes, this is a team with character but, why would this be a that big of a distraction? I really doubt he gets cut just for this.

This is some more TT work for ya. Draft a guy in the first round that you could have got in the second round that was injury prone (still injured when drafted) Then trades our best DT for a second round pick wich we drafted a QB and we already have a QB and Brett was giving sighns everyday he wanted back.

One I'm don't think you could of got Harrell in the 2nd, I think someone else would of taken a chance on him. Williams was our best DT? I think Williams wasn't a starter, and there were at least two other better DT, in Pickett and Jolly. And Brett showed more signs that he wanted to retire.

This post is for you Tedheads. If you guys still exist.

I can tell, your trying to name calls, and be mean.

SDteacher
07-13-2008, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=4favre4;5843779]We will end up leting him go because it will be a distraction for the team and this team is built on charicter and he is not a star so he will be out soon.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time. We are not going to cut the guy. If TT is going to take multiple shots at Koren I'm sure he'll give Jolly a shot if it was in fact his first time. That being said, if he was planning on selling the drugs, then he has bigger problems than football.

twelvePack
07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Well everybody can say what the want, but can it get any ****ing worse??? The one position we were stacked at is starting to look like a very weak spot on the team. Our potential starters are a injury prone waste of a draft pick, who hasn't played a full season since high school, and a guy with character issues. This blows my mind. No matter what, Jolly is getting suspended for at least four games. This makes me want to puke. It might not be TT's fault that Jolly got into trouble, but he shouldn't have traded Williams in the first place. I'm predicting this team won't win eight games without Favre this season.

4favre4
07-13-2008, 03:16 PM
What? Why would we let him go? Yes, this is a team with character but, why would this be a that big of a distraction? I really doubt he gets cut just for this.

One I'm don't think you could of got Harrell in the 2nd, I think someone else would of taken a chance on him. Williams was our best DT? I think Williams wasn't a starter, and there were at least two other better DT, in Pickett and Jolly. And Brett showed more signs that he wanted to retire.

I can tell, your trying to name calls, and be mean.

Williams was our best DT. He was a starter. Jolly was a surprise this year he had very little playing time in 06. He was a 6th round pick. He was not the starter this past year. He splited time with Williams and Picket. Harrell could have been got in the 2nd mel kiper siad that at the time he was drafted. Alan Branch was ahead of him on most peoples draft board. If Brett saying He would come back If rodgers gets hurt, Going on letterman saying multiple things. When they had the Madden cover relese he almost set there and said I want back but everybody says he is just feeling normal feelings.
I remind you that was 2 days before the draft. Put that aside why would you draft a guy that high to put more presure on Rodgers ? Why not a vet or a 4th or 5th rounder ? I think he was trying to stick it to Favre. He wanted to say we don't want you. I know there are reports that Favre said he would come back then he he went back on it. John Clayton says people close to him say thats not true. If it is who cares ? He is Brett Favre. Do you think they would do this to Manning,Brady. NO. Brett gives us the best chances to win. LET HIM BACK. A thing of big destraction is mostly things like people with 200 mgs of coke. Did you see what happened to Matt Jones.
DO YOU NEED MORE HELP ?

ryanph30
07-13-2008, 03:18 PM
If we are desperately short at DT we can easily move Cullen Jenkins over and he can play DT.

beast
07-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Williams was our best DT. He was a starter. Jolly was a surprise this year he had very little playing time in 06. He was a 6th round pick. He was not the starter this past year. He splited time with Williams and Picket. Harrell could have been got in the 2nd mel kiper siad that at the time he was drafted. Alan Branch was ahead of him on most peoples draft board. If Brett saying He would come back If rodgers gets hurt, Going on letterman saying multiple things. When they had the Madden cover relese he almost set there and said I want back but everybody says he is just feeling normal feelings.
I remind you that was 2 days before the draft. Put that aside why would you draft a guy that high to put more presure on Rodgers ? Why not a vet or a 4th or 5th rounder ? I think he was trying to stick it to Favre. He wanted to say we don't want you. I know there are reports that Favre said he would come back then he he went back on it. John Clayton says people close to him say thats not true. If it is who cares ? He is Brett Favre. Do you think they would do this to Manning,Brady. NO. Brett gives us the best chances to win. LET HIM BACK. A thing of big destraction is mostly things like people with 200 mgs of coke. Did you see what happened to Matt Jones.
DO YOU NEED MORE HELP ?

Yup. To understand how Williams was our best DT. I got Pickett and Jolly ahead of him. I don't think your going to be able to make think williams is better than them. Jolly started 7 of 10 games while healthy. In that time frame William started 3. He does have 14 sacks but most of them are against bad OLs, that were focused on Kampman and KGB at the time.

Mel Kiper may of said he was a second, but the Packers, did pick him, and the Broncos said they were targeting two people for the first round one of them was Harrell. I haven't heard about other G.M.s but that's two pro G.M. against Kiper.

They our letting him back, all he has to do is write into the NFLm asking to be taken off the retirement list.

twelvePack
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Yup. To understand how Williams was our best DT. I got Pickett and Jolly ahead of him. I don't think your going to be able to make think williams is better than them. Jolly started 7 of 10 games while healthy. In that time frame William started 3. He does have 14 sacks but most of them are against bad OLs, that were focused on Kampman and KGB at the time.

Mel Kiper may of said he was a second, but the Packers, did pick him, and the Broncos said they were targeting two people for the first round one of them was Harrell. I haven't heard about other G.M.s but that's two pro G.M. against Kiper.

They our letting him back, all he has to do is write into the NFLm asking to be taken off the retirement list.

I can agree with Pickett, but the only reason Jolly is ahead of him is because Williams isn't on the roster anymore. Don't discredit Williams sacks either, because there were a lot of them that came at times when nobody else could get to the QB. Look at how he played in the NFC Championship game. Seriously, the guy didn't even want to leave the field after the game. The guy was good, and don't knock him because he isn't with the team anymore. I'm personally sad to see a guy with his "heart" for the game not on the roster anymore.

You talk about Williams size, but look at Dorsey out of LSU, he isn't huge. Besides, Williams is plenty big enough to play that spot. People talk about moving Jenkins inside, but he is smaller then Williams so I don't get the whole size thing.

meandering
07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
I can agree with Pickett, but the only reason Jolly is ahead of him is because Williams isn't on the roster anymore. Don't discredit Williams sacks either, because there were a lot of them that came at times when nobody else could get to the QB. Look at how he played in the NFC Championship game. Seriously, the guy didn't even want to leave the field after the game. The guy was good, and don't knock him because he isn't with the team anymore. I'm personally sad to see a guy with his "heart" for the game not on the roster anymore.

You talk about Williams size, but look at Dorsey out of LSU, he isn't huge. Besides, Williams is plenty big enough to play that spot. People talk about moving Jenkins inside, but he is smaller then Williams so I don't get the whole size thing.

************************************************** ********Thats your opinion. Repeating the same thing 3 times wont make it a fact.
IMHO opinion Williams was our 3rd or even 4th best DL. He is lazy against the run.
Pickett, Jolly, Cole- then Williams Muhr, etc etc
DT cannot play pass all the time. Somewhere you have to get after running backs too.

4favre4
07-13-2008, 08:06 PM
You guys need to watch some games. He was our best DT besides Picket but if you want to discredit Williams for the lack of play on the run then Picket also is bad because he didn't get sacks.

Twelve pack is one of the only real fans on here and he is stating not opinions but facts

Williams was the best DT because he just was.
he was better than all the others

beast
07-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Jolly started the 7 of the first 10 games. Jolly was better as a starter.

I've had Jolly ahead of Williams all year (so did the coaches; Jolly started more), and I'm not knocking Williams because he's not on the team, I;ve been knocking him since last year. Williams has been over hyped last year as well. His 14 sacks the last two years have mostly come against bad OL

DET 4
BUF 3
KC 2
CAR 2
CHI 1
NYG 1
PHI 1

and 11 of the 14 have come from just four teams. All four have bad OLs, and had to block Kampman, and KGB. And we have played 22 different teams in the last two years.

I don't understand how Williams is better than Jolly. Jolly started, caused more problems on the first two downs. Williams was just a good pass rush, DT. Heck he couldn't beat out Jenkins for the starting DE spot. So maybe Williams was the four beat DT. Since Jenkins (a DT) beat out Williams.

I'm not knocking Williams heart, heck I'm not knocking anyone heart, (other than maybe Wynn, (another story for another time))

And I don't remember talking about Williams size, so I'm not sure where your getting that, but he had every nice size, that's what helped him those long arms. Wish he could of been more physical. But I'm not question his heart or size, just talent. I still have Jolly and Pickett over him at DT. And Jenkins over him at DE.

beast
07-13-2008, 08:21 PM
You guys need to watch some games. He was our best DT besides Picket but if you want to discredit Williams for the lack of play on the run then Picket also is bad because he didn't get sacks.

Twelve pack is one of the only real fans on here and he is stating not opinions but facts

Williams was the best DT because he just was.
he was better than all the others

I've watched games, Williams wasn't as good as Jolly. Also Pickett is the NT, NT don't get sack usually. You need to learn the system. NT usually has two OL on him. DT usually has one. So most likely the NT isn't going to get sacks. And eith two OL on him, the NT has to be very good against the run, which Pickett has been.

I really don't understand how people think Williams is better than Jolly, I really don't get it. Unless sacks our the only thing, you look at, which the DT also has stop the run.

4favre4
07-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Recent Career Tackles Sacks Interceptions Misc
Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD DefTD FFum PD Sfty
2005 Green Bay 12 17 9 26 2.0 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2006 Green Bay 16 26 8 34 7.0 46 0 0 0 0 0 3 0
2007 Green Bay 16 26 9 35 7.0 38 1 9 0 0 3 1 0
Career Totals (Full) 56 83 36 119 17.0 97 1 9 0 0 4 4 0

williams stats

4favre4
07-13-2008, 08:48 PM
CAREER DEFENSIVE STATS
Year Team Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD
2004 GB 12 9 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
2005 GB 17 9 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
2006 GB 26 8 7 1 0 1 3 0 0 0
2007 GB 26 9 7 1 3 0 1 1 9 0
Totals: 81 35 17 3 4 1 4 1 9 0

he has 17 sacks in 3 years he had 1 int this past year and 26 tackles and im going to get Jollys

4favre4
07-13-2008, 08:52 PM
jolly had 13 tacles 1 sack this past year.
the year before he had 4 tackles 0 sacks.
you tell me who is better.

Williams had 7 sacks 1 int and 26 tackles this past year.
the two years before he also had 9 sacks.

beast
07-13-2008, 08:58 PM
jolly had 13 tacles 1 sack this past year.
the year before he had 4 tackles 0 sacks.
you tell me who is better.

I'm not sure if you know this, but stats mean jack s^!@.

Jolly was the better on film. It doesn't matter who's better on paper, it's the field that matters. And that was clearly Jolly, and the coach knew it, that's why he was the starter more often. When Jolly was healthy who started more last year?

Williams was coming on the the field fresh from the bench to go against someone Jolly was beating up.

hughest4
07-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Jolly was the better on film. It doesn't matter who's better on paper, it's the field that matters. And that was clearly Jolly, and the coach knew it, that's why he was the starter more often. When Jolly was healthy who started more last year?

Williams was coming on the the field fresh from the bench to go against someone Jolly was beating up.

True, i agree that stats can be very misleading at times and maybe this is the case here. Williams is a decent DT against the run, an excellent one at getting to the QB. He certainly isn't worth the money he is going to get paid though, and i don't really feel like we are downgrading by replacing him with Jolly and Harrell

twelvePack
07-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Well Beast, Williams was a talent. I don't know what else to say about it. I have personally been to the games, and I knew he was going to be good two years ago. The guy just stood out, and he made a consistent improvement in his play every single year and he will again this year too. I'm not saying Jolly isn't going to be good either, because I thought he was solid last year too. My whole thing right now, is that Jolly is facing felony charges and trying to rehab a injury. Do you know where Williams is??? In Cleveland working out, staying out of trouble, and getting ready to start, while Jolly is busy looking for an attorney.

beast
07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Well Beast, Williams was a talent. I don't know what else to say about it. I have personally been to the games, and I knew he was going to be good two years ago. The guy just stood out, and he made a consistent improvement in his play every single year and he will again this year too. I'm not saying Jolly isn't going to be good either, because I thought he was solid last year too. My whole thing right now, is that Jolly is facing felony charges and trying to rehab a injury. Do you know where Williams is??? In Cleveland working out, staying out of trouble, and getting ready to start, while Jolly is busy looking for an attorney.

True, but when healthy Jolly was the better player. I'm not saying Williams wasn't a good guy, and didn't work.

socalpkrbkr
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Associated Press
July 22, 2008

MILWAUKEE -- A hearing for Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly in Houston has been rescheduled for Aug. 27.

Jolly appeared in court Tuesday to deal with a felony drug possession charge. A criminal complaint says he had at least 200 grams of codeine when he was arrested earlier this month.

A court official tells the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Jolly's attorney asked for the hearing to be rescheduled.

The official says the 25-year-old Jolly was given a curfew and ordered to submit to drug testing.

A person who answered the phone at the office of Jolly's Houston attorney Brian Overstreet says he has no comment on the hearing.

Jolly attended high school in Houston and played for Texas A&M. He was selected by the Packers in the sixth round of the 2006 NFL draft.

hughest4
07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the update. I know Goodell is going to most likely be handing out a suspension, i just want to know how long. My guess would be 4 games but it could be shorter because he has never been in trouble before with the NFL(at least i don't know of anything)

socalpkrbkr
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Sure no problem. I hope he's not suspended before we find out the outcome of these charges.

hughest4
07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Sure no problem. I hope he's not suspended before we find out the outcome of these charges.

Yeah, but unfortunately i think its still a possibility. I am not positive but i think Goodell has suspended players from the NFL before they are actually legally guilty. Thats not the way things should work but i wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully everything works out and he keeps himself out of trouble

hawkeye
07-24-2008, 08:51 AM
True, but when healthy Jolly was the better player. I'm not saying Williams wasn't a good guy, and didn't work.

You sir are a fool. Jolly couldn't carry CW's jock. While TT didn't give Jolly the drugs, he continues to prove how inept he is as a GM by decimating a position like the D-Line with his ego. Letting a guy like CW go who is on the cusp of being a ProBowl caliber player and relying on a guy like the one-armed doughboy from Tennesee proves this point. If you can't see this, I'll just assume you're wasted on the Ted Koolaid

beast
07-24-2008, 10:22 AM
You sir are a fool. Jolly couldn't carry CW's jock. While TT didn't give Jolly the drugs, he continues to prove how inept he is as a GM by decimating a position like the D-Line with his ego. Letting a guy like CW go who is on the cusp of being a ProBowl caliber player and relying on a guy like the one-armed doughboy from Tennesee proves this point. If you can't see this, I'll just assume you're wasted on the Ted Koolaid

:speechless: what!?!? Pro-bowl? The guy wasn't even good enough to start. (unless injures). Then again non-starters have made the pro-bowl, and I do think pro-bowl voting is a joke, because it's hype and not how they play so he might of been a pro-bowl players.

But Williams was more hype than real.

His 14 sacks the last two years have mostly come against bad OL

DET 4
BUF 3
KC 2
CAR 2
CHI 1
NYG 1
PHI 1

and 11 of the 14 have come from just four teams. All four have bad OLs, and had to block Kampman, and KGB. And we have played 22 different teams in the last two years.

Williams was/is like KGB, yeah they can rush on 3rd down and get sacks, but not much else. The difference is Williams was a better against the run, and KGB didn't need a rest break ever 4 plays. But while Williams was better against the run, he couldn't beat out Pickett, Jolly, or Jenkins for a starting spot.

Williams only beat bad OL, other than maybe Philly. The guy run up his stats against bad OL that focused on stopping Kampman and KGB.

This has nothing to do with TT

Williams just wasn't more than a back-up DL and a 3rd down guy. Nothing more. As a starter he wasn't good.

I'll just assume you're wasted on the hype Koolaid.

beast
07-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, but unfortunately i think its still a possibility. I am not positive but i think Goodell has suspended players from the NFL before they are actually legally guilty. Thats not the way things should work but i wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully everything works out and he keeps himself out of trouble

I don't think Goodell has done that other than maybe Adam Jones, and maybe that former Bengals WR, who both had a lot charges. Jolly just has one, so I think Goofell is going to wait for the legally stuff.

hawkeye
07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
:speechless: what!?!? Pro-bowl? The guy wasn't even good enough to start. (unless injures). Then again non-starters have made the pro-bowl, and I do think pro-bowl voting is a joke, because it's hype and not how they play so he might of been a pro-bowl players.

But Williams was more hype than real.

His 14 sacks the last two years have mostly come against bad OL

DET 4
BUF 3
KC 2
CAR 2
CHI 1
NYG 1
PHI 1

Williams was/is like KGB, yeah they can rush on 3rd down and get sacks, but not much else. The difference is Williams was a better against the run, and KGB didn't need a rest break ever 4 plays. But while Williams was better against the run, he couldn't beat out Pickett, Jolly, or Jenkins for a starting spot.

Williams only beat bad OL, other than maybe Philly. The guy run up his stats against bad OL that focused on stopping Kampman and KGB.

This has nothing to do with TT

Williams just wasn't more than a back-up DL and a 3rd down guy. Nothing more. As a starter he wasn't good.

I'll just assume you're wasted on the hype Koolaid.

Williams could play anywhere on the line. I'll trust the braintrust of the Browns over your lack of talent evaluation every day of the week. The D-line is now a huge questionmark with injuries and lack of talent. This has EVERYTHING to do with Ted Thompson and his inability to draft need and to use FA wisely. I can hardly wait for your response - the company line from your Uncle Ted. I never said he was a ProBowler - I said he is on the cusp of becoming one. While the voting may be a joke, it still means you're one helluva player if you make the ProBowl squad.

beast
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Williams could play anywhere on the line.

True, but wasn't good at starting at one of them. Jack of all DL but king of none.

I'll trust the braintrust of the Browns

But do you trust the Packers?

your Uncle Ted

what's up with you trying to make this personal? What's up with the attacks?

and again what does TT have to do with Williams being any good or not?

hawkeye
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
True, but wasn't good at starting at one of them. Jack of all DL but king of none.

But do you trust the Packers?

what's up with you trying to make this personal? What's up with the attacks?

and again what does TT have to do with Williams being any good or not?

The jab at TT is due to the D-line going from an asset to a liability with letting a very good player in Williams go to Cleveland while praying that his reach pick in Harrell pans out. The attacks on you aren't personal. It's how my buddies and I go at each other when disagreeing on sports topics. You're a Packer fan, so I will include you as friend and not foe. Get a thicker skin.

A guy that can play all 4 D-line spots is a rarity. CW is a helluva lot better than you think - why do you think the Browns wanted him so bad? Do I trust Ted Thompson? F-NO. His ego is running rampant with the Favre fiasco. Last I checked, Ted never played a down for the Green and Gold. He needs to suck it up and bring back the face of the franchise. If #4 had a crappy year last year, I would be all for moving forward with Rodgers. Favre gives us the best chance at a SB run. We're going to need to score as much as last year because right now the defense isn't any better than a year ago. With the D-line a real questionmark, we have taken a small step back on that side of the ball.

servais77
07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't really care if Williams was starting or not. He easily should have been if he actually wasn't every game (I saw him out there for the majority of the 1st defensive snaps of the game). For crying out loud the guy had 9 tackles against the Giants the last game of the year. That is fricken tough to do for a d-lineman. There were 3 or 4 WOW plays as well from him. He was our most talented defensive tackle if not defensive lineman. He made plays and our team is worse off without him.

socalpkrbkr
07-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I agree. I think it was a big mistake trading CW. There was no reason that move had to be made.

beast
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
It's how my buddies and I go at each other when disagreeing on sports topics. You're a Packer fan, so I will include you as friend and not foe. Get a thicker skin.

As long as your willing to take it, if you give it, fine by me. If your not willing to take it don't give it.

A guy that can play all 4 D-line spots is a rarity. CW is a helluva lot better than you think - why do you think the Browns wanted him so bad?

because they needed a DT (because their trying to make a 3 year run at the Super Bowl), and Williams had the best hype, that they could get their hands on. Williams has 14 sacks in the last two years, (13 of them against bad/horrible OLs)

Question do you trust, the Browns front office more then the Packers front office?

beast
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't really care if Williams was starting or not. He easily should have been if he actually wasn't every game (I saw him out there for the majority of the 1st defensive snaps of the game). For crying out loud the guy had 9 tackles against the Giants the last game of the year. That is fricken tough to do for a d-lineman. There were 3 or 4 WOW plays as well from him. He was our most talented defensive tackle if not defensive lineman. He made plays and our team is worse off without him.

Ok, please don't take offense to this, but I don't trust you judgment now.

He shouldn't of been because he was a nothing special as a starter, in fact under avg. starter. Yes he got more tackles (because they ran right at him). he was the most talented DT. But Ahmad Carroll was also the most talent CB when he was drafted. Most talented doesn't always equal best football player.

He did make plays, but so does KGB. They back-up guys, that do good pass rushers.

hawkeye
07-24-2008, 04:23 PM
As long as your willing to take it, if you give it, fine by me. If your not willing to take it don't give it.

because they needed a DT (because their trying to make a 3 year run at the Super Bowl), and Williams had the best hype, that they could get their hands on. Williams has 14 sacks in the last two years, (13 of them against bad/horrible OLs)

Question do you trust, the Browns front office more then the Packers front office?

I trust the front office of the Browns more than that of the Packers right now. All because of Ted Thompson's ineptness. The Browns will win more games than us unless Teddy swallows his unearned ego and brings back Brett. Their D-line is a helluva lot better than ours, that's for damn sure.

servais77
07-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Ok, please don't take offense to this, but I don't trust you judgment now.

He shouldn't of been because he was a nothing special as a starter, in fact under avg. starter. Yes he got more tackles (because they ran right at him). he was the most talented DT. But Ahmad Carroll was also the most talent CB when he was drafted. Most talented doesn't always equal best football player.

He did make plays, but so does KGB. They back-up guys, that do good pass rushers.

Are you watching film on these games? I am having trouble understanding how your football opinion is trumping people's on here. What I see from Corey Williams was our best DT who was swimming in the backfield of the opposing team. Not to mention he made plays on the field. Jolly and Harrell are non athletic fat guys that just plug the middle. Its not like they were really all that good at it either. Its nice to have one of these guys and put them next to Williams.

I am willing to be that Williams played more snaps than any DT last year. I really don't care to look up this stat but I will throw it out there.

If Corey Williams can record 35 tackles and 7 sacks in part time backup duty I am pretty curious to see how he does in full time. Cleveland certainly will allow that to happen this year. I think his absence will be felt this year.

servais77
07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
In addition I believe Corey Williams not starting was part of the ploy to keep his price tag down in the offseason. I agreed with that idea, but it unfortunately didn't work. Quite frankly Corey Williams not starting means jack **** when in actuality he is playing the most.

BroJoMan
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
i don't understand why it matters who was starting and who wasn't when they are all situational players. IMO Williams and Pickett were easily our two best DT's and unless Jenkins moves inside on passing situations I don't think that we have an athletic enough DT to make up for the loss of Williams

BrewCityBuck
07-26-2008, 03:45 PM

Without Johnny Jolly we still have Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell, Colin Cole and Cullen Jenkins who can swing over to DT. :rolleyes:

socalpkrbkr
07-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Without Johnny Jolly we still have Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell, Colin Cole and Cullen Jenkins who can swing over to DT. :rolleyes:

True but at this point in time Harrell is still hurt and will be listed as week to week. Jenkins can slide over so long as we are in a pass rushing situation. As most of us know KGB is not so hot when it comes to defending the run. We should have held onto Williams as an insurance policy. We franchised him only to turn around and trade him. Mistake IMO. It's not TT fault in regards to what happens to players off the field. I just thought it was a strange move considering two of our linemen were coming off season ending injuries and Harrell being a rookie who saw limited time in his first season. Did Harrell overly impress anyone with his time on the field? Hopefully he gets himself right in time for the season and becomes what all of us want.

hughest4
07-26-2008, 11:23 PM
True but at this point in time Harrell is still hurt and will be listed as week to week. Jenkins can slide over so long as we are in a pass rushing situation. As most of us know KGB is not so hot when it comes to defending the run. We should have held onto Williams as an insurance policy. We franchised him only to turn around and trade him. Mistake IMO. It's not TT fault in regards to what happens to players off the field. I just thought it was a strange move considering two of our linemen were coming off season ending injuries and Harrell being a rookie who saw limited time in his first season. Did Harrell overly impress anyone with his time on the field? Hopefully he gets himself right in time for the season and becomes what all of us want.

I agree with basically everything you said here. Harrell didn't overly impress me, but i did see some things i like from him in the last few weeks. If he can stay healthy i think he will be a very good DT for us. Also with all of the cap room we have maybe we could sign a guy who gets cut in camp. Who knows

socalpkrbkr
08-10-2008, 06:44 PM
the agent for defensive tackle Johnny Jolly thinks his client can avoid suspension this season and, he's hoping, next year as well.

Jolly, one of the Green Bay Packers' best defensive linemen, was arrested in Houston on July 8 for possession of at least 200 grams of codeine, which is a felony under Texas law. The codeine was in the form of cough syrup, commonly mixed with soda to make a mind-altering drink called "lean" that originated in the Houston area.

The arrest leaves Jolly subject to penalty of a suspension, fine or both under the NFL's personal-conduct policy. If found guilty, he also could be sentenced to up to 20 years in prison and fined $10,000, though as a first-time offender, he could get as little as probation.

The personal-conduct policy is only two years old, and Goodell's short history has been to immediately suspend those with multiple arrests, regardless of whether the most recent arrest has been adjudicated, but to wait until the case plays out before determining whether to suspend players after their first arrest.

Nick Barnett:
"I just hope (Jolly) doesn't get suspended this year," linebacker Nick Barnett said. "We need him for sure. We've got depth, but we need Jolly out there, especially against the run. He loves playing against the run."

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080810/WDH02/808110318