PDA

View Full Version : The All Purpose Andruw "Golden Sombrero" Jones Thread

Evan4FinalVote
07-12-2008, 08:42 PM
ESPN handing out its midseason awards gives Andruw Jones the NL Least Valuable Player award....funny the pace he is on he will be challenging for the worst season in baseball history....then to add insult to injury, he is making 18 million $$

here is what they said......

NL LVP of the half year: Andruw Jones, Dodgers

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0523/mlb_u_jones1_sw_203.jpg
Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US Presswire

"Sheez, what happened to this man? If Andruw Jones's second half resembles his first half, he's potentially heading for (ready for this?) the Worst Offensive Season in Baseball History. At this rate, he'd finish with a .172 average, .261 slugging percentage, five homers, 21 RBIs, 125 strikeouts and only 64 hits. And you shouldn't be flabbergasted to learn that the all-time list of players who have had numbers that gruesome consists of, well, nobody. Heck, only three other players in history have even had twice as many strikeouts as hits (in a season of 100 or more whiffs): Rob Deer (175-80 in 1991), Dave Nicholson (126-60 in 1964) and Mark McGwire (118-56 in 2001). But at least those fellows made a few home run trots, or finished over the Mendoza Line."

MrChris951
07-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Well hopefully Don Mattingly can figure out what the hell is wrong here. I still think it's a mental issue and the Dodgers need to get Jones to a shrink

Evan4FinalVote
07-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Yea I have to agree, after watching Andrew and his demeanor at the plate, his issues definitely seem to be in his head. I hope for the sake of the Dodgers success this season he with the help of D.Matt can get out of this ridiculously long funk.....If he can put together 2-3 successful games at the plate and get the fans behind him I'm positive he can return to decent form and help us get to the playoffs....I hope

darth550
07-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm sure they were just absolutely thrilled to name him too, EFFing EC hacks!

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 09:42 PM
ESPN handing out its midseason awards gives Andrew Jones the NL Least Valuable Player award....funny the pace he is on he will be challenging for the worst season in baseball history....then to add insult to injury, he is making 18 million $$

here is what they said......

NL LVP of the half year: Andruw Jones, Dodgers

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0523/mlb_u_jones1_sw_203.jpg
Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US Presswire

"Sheez, what happened to this man? If Andruw Jones's second half resembles his first half, he's potentially heading for (ready for this?) the Worst Offensive Season in Baseball History. At this rate, he'd finish with a .172 average, .261 slugging percentage, five homers, 21 RBIs, 125 strikeouts and only 64 hits. And you shouldn't be flabbergasted to learn that the all-time list of players who have had numbers that gruesome consists of, well, nobody. Heck, only three other players in history have even had twice as many strikeouts as hits (in a season of 100 or more whiffs): Rob Deer (175-80 in 1991), Dave Nicholson (126-60 in 1964) and Mark McGwire (118-56 in 2001). But at least those fellows made a few home run trots, or finished over the Mendoza Line."

Worst in history? :speechless:. Atleast Zito is better than some pitchers, and richer than almost all.

dodgerfan87
07-12-2008, 10:41 PM
As a person who learned how to hit from Troy Glaus, I know a lot of things about hitting. I mean I am no expert or anything, but I have noticed on thing that is wrong with Andruw Jones. It is his BALANCE! He is unbalanced at the plate leading to weak ground balls. If he brought his legs closer together and took a shorter stride, I think he would do a lot better at the plate. Also his plate discipline reminds me of the old Adrian Beltre before he really got good. He swings at the 0-2 outside curveball and swings at it and misses...BADLY! HE needs to learn to take more pitches and get the counts that a hitter should swing in like 3-1 or 2-0.

PEACE!

Tucker91
07-12-2008, 10:44 PM
He needs to go...he is 1/9 of the lineup that is of no contribution. We need to do what the indians did and just let him go. We are better off just letting Kemp be everyday and then letting Delwyn Young play everyday in Left.

This is frusterating watching strikeout so much. Somehow we are in still in the race and he is just hindering us. His numbers have increasingly gone down over the past 3 years so no reason to think its going to get any better.

Need to chalk this one up on the loss board along with Jason Schmidt and obviously Colletti needs to be fired and Logan White promoted.

Tragedy
07-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Indians?

But yeah, It's pretty obvious that he's awful. I don't see them cutting him before the May of next year, though.

Sunsfan28
07-12-2008, 10:51 PM
There is no logical reason for A. Jones to be batting before them. I dont care if he is making 18 mil and he feelings would be hurt.

vader
07-12-2008, 10:51 PM
i feel your frustration... but no way he gets released this year. it's too soon. i think we have to at least wait until the trade deadline next year.

B.G.B
07-12-2008, 11:07 PM
c'mon he is the mvp of this team NOT lol

Tucker91
07-12-2008, 11:12 PM
why do we have to wait? I mean is it worth going through every game leaving men on base in good situations watching him go 0-4 with 3 strikeouts?

dodgerfan87
07-12-2008, 11:12 PM
I can name more players besides Jones that need to be released too:

Mark Sweeney
Luis Maza
Angel Berroa
Gary Bennett

...Just to name a FEW!

Tucker91
07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
ya but all those mentioned do not play everyday.

dodgerfan87
07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
ya but all those mentioned do not play everyday.

Exactly my point! They are all dead weight! We need production from our bench not a bunch of dead-beats....

MrChris951
07-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Sorry not gonna happen anytime soon. Like I said in another tread today, it's a mental problem with him, he needs a shrink. I think the Dodgers need to make him go to a shrink for a few weeks and see if it helps. Bu he won't be cute until at least the middle of the 2009 season

The Whip
07-13-2008, 12:01 AM
totally terrible. 3 SO's and counting. Could easily make 4 but maybe he'll make 5. We can only hope! I don't get what management is doing, do you?

Tucker91
07-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Wether its mental or not I don't care.....he is hurting the team, plain and simple.

vader
07-13-2008, 01:41 AM
why do we have to wait? I mean is it worth going through every game leaving men on base in good situations watching him go 0-4 with 3 strikeouts?

well that's the investment the dodgers made, that's why. it's not like they're gonna release a player after 1/2 a season and 36mil cause he's not hitting. it may be your wish to do so, but that's not a reality. if he's still piss poor by the end of the year, they may trade him and eat most of his salary. but definitely by next years deadline.

but like i said earlier to you, i feel your frustration. but i haven't given up, yet.

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Not deserving of a thread, but okay. Whatever. Torre is a moron. What more do you want?

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 01:45 AM
I can name more players besides Jones that need to be released too:

Mark Sweeney
Luis Maza
Angel Berroa
Gary Bennett

...Just to name a FEW!

Maza?

Anyways, Jones sucks monkey dick, but 18 million dollars will not be released. I gurentee it. There will be a clock on how long he will be starting, but he will not be gone till' at least next season.

dodgerdave
07-13-2008, 01:53 AM
His *** needs to be in the minors right now. Jones needs to be sent to AAA Las Vegas or even down to A San Bernardino so that he can find his stroke again.

Releasing him is not an option because he's under contract for next year.

LAdiablo
07-13-2008, 01:56 AM
look if you think we have any chance of winning our lame division then jones HAS to get hot.
and you really have nothing to lose at this point by leaving him in. who do you want, repko?young?. we need someone to drive in runs and while i agree its painful to watch he is our only chance.
unless of course you trade lowe for a bat:rolleyes:
and he is playing some damn good d so really wtf we have to be patient still

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:09 AM
His *** needs to be in the minors right now. Jones needs to be sent to AAA Las Vegas or even down to A San Bernardino so that he can find his stroke again.

Releasing him is not an option because he's under contract for next year.

Sending him down wouldn't be to help him find his stroke, it would be to give him a big wake-up call, and a punishment. He can hit minor-league pitching. He needs to hit Major-league pitching. He is way to old and established too be "finding his stroke". He should be in his prime.

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Balance
Mind-set
head flying all over the place
hip flying open
poor disipline
slow hands
= 159. avg.

southerndodgerf
07-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Whoever included Maza needs their head examined. I like the guy for what he is. We are not calling on him to get a walkoff everyday. He is great with a glove and seems to have some fire.

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:29 AM
^
Exactly.

k0b3
07-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Balance
Mind-set
hip flying open
poor disipline
slow hands
= 159. avg.

or summed up.... andruw jones sucks

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:45 AM
or summed up.... andruw jones sucks

I like it. That is a lot easier. :)

borat
07-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Guy just doesn't care. That's the biggest problem IMO. The most you'll get out of Andrew is that smirk.

THINKBLUE15
07-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Gotta love..."the smirk" lol. Gosh this guy sucks.

dodgerdave
07-13-2008, 03:27 AM
Sending him down wouldn't be to help him find his stroke, it would be to give him a big wake-up call, and a punishment. He can hit minor-league pitching. He needs to hit Major-league pitching. He is way to old and established too be "finding his stroke". He should be in his prime.

What the hell would you know? He probably can't hit any pitching at any level period. We might have ourselves here with an offense version of Rick Ankiel syndrome here.

You're never too old to play minor league baseball. There's plenty of 30-something's "journeymen" at all levels of minor league baseball.

Blue Thunder
07-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Not only do I hate Andruw Jones but now I hate the Bob Marley song they use to introduce Jones because when I hear it that means Jones is coming up to strike out yet again.

KOOL-AID Man
07-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Whoever included Maza needs their head examined. I like the guy for what he is. We are not calling on him to get a walkoff everyday. He is great with a glove and seems to have some fire.

I feel the same about Maza. I kind of see him as this year's Oscar Robles.

BlueZoo
07-13-2008, 10:02 AM
I think Torre at least owes it to the great Dodger fans (as far as filling the stands) as to why this guy is in the lineup every night when he is headed for the worst ML season in BB history. Plain and simple.
I guess when you're retiring in 2 more years , you don't give a shyte how you appear to millions who support you?
After Torre's early season "the best players will play...the one's we can win with" statement, he looks now like a real ***hole , IMO.

Iceman_9
07-13-2008, 10:16 AM
This is very frustrating... We signed him to hit, not to pile the SO...

Iceman_9
07-13-2008, 10:22 AM
I think he is giving Andruw the chance to hit. With Loney and Kemp behind him, the pitcher will be forced to pitch strikes. The pitcher doesnt want to walk jones because Loney will be hitting next..

Tragedy
07-13-2008, 11:12 AM
I thought it'd make things a little easier to have one big thread on Andruw, rather than many of them, considering he's doing so poorly so the threads about him would have kept pouring down.

ripjhb18
07-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Balance
Mind-set
hip flying open
poor disipline
slow hands
= 159. avg.

you forgot fat