PDA

View Full Version : Largest one sided trade of recent memory

DownInHouston
07-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Thought it would be fun to have this thread. Plus I would love to see all the bad trades some GMs have made.

I will put up some of my favs of recent times.

Gio Gonzales and Gavin Floyd for Freddy Garcia (nice job KW)

Don't know if this one was straight up but Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. LoL what the heck was going on with that one.

Tragedy
07-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Akinori Otsuka, Billy Killian and Adam Eaton for Adrian Gonzalez, Terrmel Sledge, and Chris Young.

Joba Rules!!
07-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Liriano, Nathan, and Bonser for AJ

Rosh
Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback, and Bobby Hill for Randall Simon, Kenny Lofton, and Aramis Ramirez. :)

bagwell368
Well a bum closer (Slocumb) for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek was pretty bad.

FC_4_life
07-12-2008, 10:37 PM

This was pretty bad lol. What was Sabean thinking?

Joba Rules!!
07-12-2008, 10:38 PM

I would think Giant fans ask that question everyday :shrug:

Humongo
Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen and John Halama for half a season of RJ

Tragedy
Well, as of today, the trade is pretty awful. But at the time, the trade wasn't really that off. No one expected Nathan to be anything big.

ChiCubs4life44
Hee Seop Choi for Derrick Lee hahahaha

Humongo
07-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Really recently, Horacio Ramirez for Rafael Soriano was bad. Definitely not the worst though.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 10:42 PM

We were getting a young All Star catcher in return for a middle reliever, injury prone prospect, and nothing pitcher. It was a good trade at the time. Just didnt turn out to well.

DownInHouston
07-12-2008, 10:46 PM

Holy crap I totally forgot that one LoL. You can always say woulda coulda shoulda but Filthiano with all the rest (lincecum and cain etc)... omg... Just that part :)

Sorry G fans :)

jetsfan89
07-12-2008, 10:53 PM
nothing beats out kazmir for zambrano

**** you jim duquette

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Holy crap I totally forgot that one LoL. You can always say woulda coulda shoulda but Filthiano with all the rest (lincecum and cain etc)... omg... Just that part :)

Sorry G fans :)

If we didnt trad Liriano we might have not drafted Lincecum.

cle12152433
07-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. for Brett Tomko, Mike Cameron, Antonio Perez, and Jake Meyer....

Arsenal17
07-12-2008, 10:59 PM
any trade ed wade made

Dashtary
07-12-2008, 11:13 PM
jagr for anson carter, bad trade for capitals, good trade for salary cap problems, capitals traded the guy the same year, just a cap dump

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Jim Hendry absolutely fleeced Aramis Ramirez out of Pittsburgh dont remember the specifics though

Joba Rules!!
07-12-2008, 11:34 PM
jagr for anson carter, bad trade for capitals, good trade for salary cap problems, capitals traded the guy the same year, just a cap dump

:pity: Are you serious? This is the MLB forum...

ThisIsTheYear
07-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Liriano, Nathan and Bonser for AJ has to be the most lob-sided.

Tragedy
07-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. for Brett Wallace, Mike Cameron, Antonio Perez, and Jake Meyer....
And who got the better end in that deal, do you think?

Not like either sides got much of anything.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-12-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.joesportsfan.com/column.php?storyid=2025

was posted in the cards forum

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-12-2008, 11:41 PM
5. Cubs/Pirates, 2003
Needing some extra pop for their 2003 run, the Cubs got it for many more years, getting Aramis Ramirez from the Pirates, who inexplicably still had two years left on his contract after the season. The Cubs also gained Kenny Lofton who helped immensely in their stretch run. They gave up Jose Hernandez, who left the Pirates after the year, Matt Bruback, who never has played in the majors, and a guy named Bobby, who was a part-timer for two years and hasn’t played since.

2. Cubs/Marlins, late 2003
Hee Seop Choi hit .218 with 8 homers for the Cubs in 2003. The Marlins felt that was enough for them to accept him for rising star Derrek Lee, who had just played a huge part in upsetting the Cubs in the NLCS and winning the World Series. The next season, Choi made it just over half the season in Miami before being traded again, and Lee was enjoying another solid season that led into one of the best seasons anyone has had this decade.

:D

bearsfanforlife
07-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Gio Gonzales and Gavin Floyd for Freddy Garcia (nice job KW)

I can't decide how I am supposed to read this...who are you saying got the better end of the deal?

Tragedy
07-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I can't decide how I am supposed to read this...who are you saying got the better end of the deal?
I assume he thinks the White Sox got the better of the deal, considering Freddy made a whopping 11 starts.

Dirty Dirk41
07-12-2008, 11:59 PM
pau gasol for j. crittenton, k. brown, m. gasol, a.mckie

MLB
kazmir for zambrano is pretty silly..

tek and d. lowe for slocumb is another doozy

TheShock45
07-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Don't know if this one was straight up but Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. LoL what the heck was going on with that one.

i dont like it when people include this trade how come no1 remembers the time it took place

yea today its one sided but back then Victor Zambrano was one of the best pitchers for a TERRIBLE team and Kazmir was struggling and being consided to get thrown in the bullpen

now the Freddy Garcia trade yea that one was terrible even before Garcia sucked it up Gio Gonzalez is great and look Floyd only needed one more year

most one sided trade in the MLB = almost every waiver trade in August hahaha but for real the one that i hate the most was Curt Schilling for Travis Lee, Omar Daal, Vicente Padilla and Nelson Figueroa. like they werent even top line prospects

CarniifeX
07-13-2008, 12:56 AM
There might have been some other random players in this trade but.....

Bartolo Colon for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips !

cubsfan2206
07-13-2008, 01:01 AM
being a cubs fan, the Aramis Ramirez trade and DLee trade we the most lobsided deals I can remember.

we basically stole both players for both teams.....gave up nothing for both guys....Choi isnt even in the majors anymore and the guys we gave up for Ramirez were a joke at the time and even more laughable now

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields I don't think any team can top that.

Humongo
07-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Ken Griffey Jr. for Brett Wallace, Mike Cameron, Antonio Perez, and Jake Meyer....

Jr. has went on to play in just 65% of the Red's games (excluding this season). Mike Cameron went on to be a fan favorite in Seattle, made many dazzling catches, and helped the M's win 116 games in 2001. If anything, the M's won that deal.

Tkais9009
07-13-2008, 01:14 AM
mulder for Haren, calero, and deric something or other

Humongo
07-13-2008, 01:21 AM
yea today its one sided but back then Victor Zambrano was one of the best pitchers for a TERRIBLE team and Kazmir was struggling and being consided to get thrown in the bullpen

Zambrano had a 4.43 ERA and a 103 ERA+ at the time he was dealt. Just because he was the best on a bad team doesn't mean he was anything better than average at the time.

most one sided trade in the MLB = almost every waiver trade in August hahaha but for real the one that i hate the most was Curt Schilling for Travis Lee, Omar Daal, Vicente Padilla and Nelson Figueroa. like they werent even top line prospects
Lee was a huge prospect two years earlier. He had a nice rookie year and then fell off in his sophomore year. He was dealt in his third season. Hmmm....let's see. A top prospect puts up a decent rookie season, and struggles a bit in his second season. I think a lot of teams would be interested in the guy. Padilla was a promising young pitcher with good stuff, and who went on to be a productive starter. The D-Backs got a better deal, but the Phils, at the time, got a nice return for him (especially since they only had him 2.5 seasons)

Humongo
07-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Pretty early to tell, but very, very recently was the Bedard deal.

Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Tony Butler and Kam Mickolio for Erik Bedard.

Jones was one of the best prospects in all of baseball, Tillman was ranked in the top 50 prospects in baseball by BP, Sherrill is making the AL all star team as a closer, Butler is a top prospect, and Mickolio is a reliever who projects to be pretty good.

Bedard's been a decent pitcher this season when not on the DL. Nothing really special though (although some of that can be attributed to his desire to play for the Mariners, or lack thereof).

Kinsm
07-13-2008, 01:31 AM

Who is Brett Wallace for 100 dollars, anyone?? It's Brett Tomko, genius!

Aapox
07-13-2008, 01:36 AM
The trade looked innocent enough at the time. The Cardinals would trade two past 20 game winners in Ernie Broglio and the aging Bobby Shantz to the Cubs. The Cubs were willing to part with Lou Brock who in 2 plus seasons had stolen only 50 bases and was hitting around the .300 mark. Both teams were hoping to become enriched by the trade. As it turned out, the Cards got a real steal and the Cubs may have gone down as executing the most lopsided trade in baseball history.

I wasn't alive, but.. damnit!!

cle12152433
07-13-2008, 01:38 AM

I would hardly call it lop-sided. While the Indians got the better part of the deal long-term, Colon went 10-4 for the Expos and finished the season 20-8.

Kinsm
07-13-2008, 01:39 AM
from Cin to Bos Scott Williamson (ROY) for Phil Dumatrait
from Cin to NYY Aaron Boone for Charlie Manning & Brandon Claussen
from Bos to Cin Bronson Arroyo for Willy Mo Pena
from Cle to Cin Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens

Not a trade but I had to mention it from TB to Cin Josh Hamilton in rule V draft

cle12152433
07-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Who is Brett Wallace for 100 dollars, anyone?? It's Brett Tomko, genius!

HAHAHA My bad! Idk why I typed that...apologies

Kinsm
07-13-2008, 01:46 AM
WORST TRADE IN REDS HISTORY

Frank Robinson to BAL for Dick Simpson, Jack Baldschun and Milt Pappas.

Milt Pappas was the only one to do anything for CIN, Frank Robinson won the Triple Crown and MVP the next year, he followed that with 5 more ASG appearances and 3 more appearances in the MVP top 10.

It's rumored still to this day that the Reds were angered at the time because he was running around with white women in downtown Cincinnati, which was a definite no-no at the time.

THE_FLASH_21
07-13-2008, 01:47 AM

NICE!!!!! That's what I had!!

THE_FLASH_21
07-13-2008, 01:49 AM
The Mark Texy trade.. The braves got a player who is gonna leave, and a RP that left after half a season... The Braves gave up their whole minor league system.... Harrison, Salty, Andrus are just some players off the back of my head.......

Kinsm
07-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields I don't think any team can top that.

Has to be top 5 of maybe all time.

Humongo
07-13-2008, 05:04 AM
from Bos to Cin Bronson Arroyo for Willy Mo Pena

Who won that?

Not a trade but I had to mention it from TB to Cin Josh Hamilton in rule V draft
Actually the Cubs picked up Josh in the Rule 5 and traded him to Cincy for cash considerations. So yeah, that counts.

juggla53
07-13-2008, 05:34 AM
The scott kazmir trades was one of the worst trades in any sports. YOU DONT TRADE FUTURE ACES FOR A NUMBER 4 STARTER!

viktor06
07-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Not sure if anyone posted it, but for me Bartolo Colon for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips is the worst trade ever, courtesy of Omar Minaya

odiz
07-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Armando Rios and Ryan Vogelsong for John VanderWal and Jason Schmidt.

McGwire to St Louis from Oakland. Oakland got nobody back

Bobby Abreu to Philly for Kevin Stocker

Curt Schilling, Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch for Glenn Davis

The deal that sent Randy Johnson from Montreal to Seattle, i cant remember who the players were but Montreal got nothing back.

The Sammy Sosa deal from Texas to CWS.

Jeff Bagwell to the Astros for Larry Andersen

Pedro to the Dodgers for Delino Deshields

Jay Buhner to the Mariners for Ken Phelps

Then the worst trade of all time George Herman Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees for cash.

bleedsREDforevr
07-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Then the worst trade of all time George Herman Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees for cash.

I think we have a winner!!!!

The Schmooze
07-13-2008, 08:31 AM
matt morris for rajai davis

pointless for the Pirates, and they gave up a nice, young speedster

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
07-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. WTF Duquette???
Colon for Sizemore, Lee, and Phillips is a bad one but you have to understand that at that time Omar Minaya had to make that move to try and salvage the Expos, who were actually in the pennant race at that time.

Indiana
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Someone said that most trade deadline deals are bad. True, there are a lot of desperate teams either looking to add a lefty for the sake of having a left or a team hoping to dump a player for prospects before they become a free agent. One trade that on the surface seems like a bad trade but it is the epitome of what a deadline deal is all about would go back to I believe the late '80s with the Braves and Tigers. Detroit needed a front line starter to help round out their rotation and they got one to be thd ace of the staff and lead them to the division title where they lost to the Twins I believe. In exchange they gave up a prospect from their system, John Smoltz. It's hard to say their was clearly a loser in this. Clearly the Braves made out pretty nice in this trade for over 20 years, but the purpose of the trade was to give Detroit an ace to carry them into the playoffs, which he did. Sometimes you have to give away a player that will haunt you down the road for a player to help you today. Any thoughts?

supermatt1331
07-13-2008, 11:54 AM

no doubt!

Also when jays traded wells to the white sox for Mike Sirotka (who never pitched a game for the jays.)

Jays also traded Clemens to the yanks for virually nothing (David Wells, who now that i think about it was decent for the jays...but still, David Wells for Clemens lol)

Shawn Green to the dodgers for Mondesi, Bourbon and Quantrill. Quantrill turned out great, but Mondesi and Bourbon are forgettable.

fishfan79
07-13-2008, 11:57 AM
not the worst but pretty bad

nolasco, pinto and mitre for juan pierre

3 good pitchers

chicagofan71
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Mulder for Haren, Calero and Barton was a hideous trade

Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for Bobby Hill, Jose Hernandez and a minor leaguer

PhillyUD26
07-13-2008, 12:55 PM
now the Freddy Garcia trade yea that one was terrible even before Garcia sucked it up Gio Gonzalez is great and look Floyd only needed one more year

It was a great trade at the time for the Phils, Garcia looked to be a great addition and that he could be relied on for 200+ innings, something the Phillies really needed. Its not Gillick's fault that he turned out to be damaged goods. And the Phillies organization had given up on Gavin Floyd already, he would never had made it in Philly. Dude is a headcase, and its not like he's even pitching that well this year, he'll show you some brilliance one night, then he'll look like a AA ball pitcher the next night when he can't locate ****.

Gio Gonzalez is a great prospect, but its not like the White Sox took that into consideration cause they shipped him out into what will be one of the most lopsided trades in a few years:

Gio Gonzalez, Fautino De Los Santos and Ryan Sweeney for Nick Swisher

phillyphan1time
07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
any trade ed wade has ever done is up in rankings for horendous/one-sided but one of the worst trades was surprisingly no done by him....ryne sandberg and larry bowa for ivan dejesus

letsgofish
07-13-2008, 01:40 PM
It was a great trade at the time for the Phils, Garcia looked to be a great addition and that he could be relied on for 200+ innings, something the Phillies really needed. Its not Gillick's fault that he turned out to be damaged goods. And the Phillies organization had given up on Gavin Floyd already, he would never had made it in Philly. Dude is a headcase, and its not like he's even pitching that well this year, he'll show you some brilliance one night, then he'll look like a AA ball pitcher the next night when he can't locate ****.

Gio Gonzalez is a great prospect, but its not like the White Sox took that into consideration cause they shipped him out into what will be one of the most lopsided trades in a few years:

umm.. hello all these trades were good at the time

DownInHouston
07-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Was not trying to be sarcastic :) I am a chisox fan and that was my fav trade of recent memory that KW has made.

DownInHouston
07-13-2008, 02:09 PM

I'd have to say Floyd has done a pretty darn good job so far this year. Did he not flirt with almost two no hitters so far this year? I think so but cant remember clearly enough.

But yea I am scared to see what turns out in the future with the Swisher trade although I love Swisher.

Freel for prez
07-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Andre Ethier for Milton Bradley...That was dumb

Zaunnie
07-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Brad Wilkerson for Alfonso Soriano

Freel for prez
07-13-2008, 02:34 PM
This one takes the cake...

Bartolo Colon for...

Brandon Phillips
Grady Sizemore
Cliff Lee

You could start an amazing franchise with those 3....

Run Gardner Run
07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
It has to be Kazmir for Zambrano

pad1
07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I think that Cabrera trade was pretty lopsided, especially with Willis being a piece of *******, and the Marlins are getting better off prospects,.

Ramon Nivar
07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
This one takes the cake...

Bartolo Colon for...

Brandon Phillips
Grady Sizemore
Cliff Lee

You could start an amazing franchise with those 3....

That one. If it weren't for Colon falling off the face of the Earth after that and all 3 of them becoming good players it would have been fair..

cambovenzi
07-13-2008, 03:45 PM
i think zambrano for kazmir is the worst.
b/c the mets got absolutely nothing of value in return for an ace.
in most of the other deals its a pretty good vet for some specs.

btwice80
07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
John Danks and Nick Masset to the Whitesox for Brandon McCarthy

pad1
07-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Indians trade David Justice to Yankees for Ricky Ledee (June 29, 2000)

pad1
07-13-2008, 04:16 PM
George Bell for Sammy Sosa

rriders9
07-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Kazmir for Zambrano

lakerfan2293
07-13-2008, 05:38 PM
when the yankees got bob abreu and cory lidle for just c.j. henry, matt smith, jesus sanchez and carlos monasterios

those guys have yet to be heard from after 2 years looks good so far

PhillyUD26
07-13-2008, 05:47 PM
umm.. hello all these trades were good at the time

No not all of them...and I am so glad that your banned yet again

I'd have to say Floyd has done a pretty darn good job so far this year. Did he not flirt with almost two no hitters so far this year? I think so but cant remember clearly enough.

But yea I am scared to see what turns out in the future with the Swisher trade although I love Swisher.

Nice sarcasm there, what did he do his last start? 2.2 innings 6 ER? Like I said the kid is a headcase, he will look brilliant one day (without throwing a no hitter cause you know he can't handle that kinda pressure), and the next day he will look freaking awful.

And I love Swisher too, but Sweeney has filled in almost flawlessly for the A's, and Gio and Faunto are going to be great pitchers. In 4-5 years we are going to look back on that trade and say "wow, what a rape." But that's what Billy Beane does.

PhillyUD26
07-13-2008, 05:50 PM
when the yankees got bob abreu and cory lidle for just c.j. henry, matt smith, jesus sanchez and carlos monasterios

those guys have yet to be heard from after 2 years looks good so far

That was more of a salary dump than a trade. And the Phillies were better after making that trade cause it got Abreu out of the lineup, who is the laziest POS ever to put on a glove.

R. Johnson#3
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM
David Wells for Mike Sirotka. Mike Sirotka never pitched a single game for the Jays.

HipSlappyJoe
07-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Scott Rolen for Placido Polanco, Bud Smith, and Mike Timlin.

Placido Polanco for Ugueth Urbina.

Benaforce
07-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell

ShinobiNYC
07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
This one is not recent but nothing beats Babe Ruth for cash. NOTHING.

hammerinhank
07-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Tim Hudson to Atlanta for Juan Cruz, Dan Meyer and Charles Thomas.

Freel for prez
07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
That one. If it weren't for Colon falling off the face of the Earth after that and all 3 of them becoming good players it would have been fair..

haha...well thats why it is such a bad trade...those 3 aren't just good, their great...Phillips is 5-tools and will make an all-star appearance soon, Sizemore is one of the better CF's in the mlb, and Lee will probably be the starting pitcher for the AL...in my mind this is the worst trade anyone has said so far.

bartoron
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Placido Polanco for Ugueth Urbina.

That trade wasn't so bad. Polanco was never great for the Phillies (he was solid, but that's all), and while Urbina may be in jail at the moment, the trade did make room for Chase Utley.

Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell

/thread

torontocubs
07-13-2008, 08:28 PM
alfonso soriano for brad wilkerson, termel sledge, and armando gallaraga

BB King
07-13-2008, 10:01 PM
As a Jays fan, I would have to say Fernandez and McGriff for Carter and Alomar, a big reason for the back to back world series wins.

ShinobiNYC
07-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Another good one: Soriano(who would be traded later on) and 12million per year for A-Rod back in 2004.

eyememine
07-14-2008, 06:55 AM
This one is not recent but nothing beats Babe Ruth for cash. NOTHING.

Nothing except for the Red Sox existence. Correct me if I am wrong but if the sox didnt make the trade they would have folded or something correct? Plus that trade wasn't in recent memory.
And also I don't whine about the Mulder trade for the Cards. Who knows if STL did not make the trade, would have they won the series in 06?
How about JD Drew and Eli Morrero for Adam wainwright, Jason Marquis and Ray King? Not the best but just throwing it out there

torontocubs
07-14-2008, 08:31 AM
As a Jays fan, I would have to say Fernandez and McGriff for Carter and Alomar, a big reason for the back to back world series wins.

Explain to me how this trade is extremely lopsided? This trade is extremely fair. You are talking a guy just shy of 500 home runs in Mcgriff and Tony Fernandez, aside from Alomar the best infielder the blue jays ever had. This trade is not lopsided one bit, I won't disagree that it was a big part for their world series, but not lop sided at all.

BB King
07-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Explain to me how this trade is extremely lopsided? This trade is extremely fair. You are talking a guy just shy of 500 home runs in Mcgriff and Tony Fernandez, aside from Alomar the best infielder the blue jays ever had. This trade is not lopsided one bit, I won't disagree that it was a big part for their world series, but not lop sided at all.

Lopsided in the sense that the Jays had success with both guys involved in the deal being key cogs in that success and for the Padres, well they didn't even win their division.

chaseismyhero
07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
nolan ryan for jim fergosi was pretty bad in the long run.

SticklerOfRules
07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
I think that Cabrera trade was pretty lopsided, especially with Willis being a piece of *******, and the Marlins are getting better off prospects,.

It is definetly upsetting that Willis is to fat to pitch but since they locked up Cabrera its really not that bad.

The trade Detroit made with Atlanta this off season as well was way worse :confused:

REGular
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Courtesy of the Marlins '97 Fire sale:

Moises Alou to Astros for Manuel Barrios, Oscar Henriquez, and Mark Johnson

Matchstckman
07-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Finally one that can be taken off the list is the trade that sent Dontrelle Willis from the Cubs to the Marlins for Matt Clement and Antonio Alfonseca. Sure in 2005 it looked bad with how good Willis was, but now that he's in like A ball (should be the independent league) it now seems nice that the Cubs got a solid starter with good SO numbers in Clement.

Matchstckman
07-14-2008, 03:29 PM
i dont like it when people include this trade how come no1 remembers the time it took place

Victor Zambrano at the time of the trade:

4.43 ERA, 1.59 WHIP

And the year before (2003) a not much better 4.21 ERA and 1.44 WHIP.

Zambrano might have been one of the best pitchers on a terrible team but he wasn't exactley setting the bar high.

Matchstckman
07-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback, and Bobby Hill for Randall Simon, Kenny Lofton, and Aramis Ramirez. :)

Just nitpicking, but Randall Simon came later, after the deadline.

Thatruth32
07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I would think Giant fans ask that question everyday :shrug:

i do :cry:

NYMets27
07-14-2008, 04:03 PM
I dont kno if any1 mentioned this 1 Expos trading Randy Johnson Gene Harris and Brian Holman to the Mariners for Mark Langston Mike Campbell i think this was in 89' and in 93' the expos got almost payback 4 this deal wen they stole pedro.

Think about it a 1 2 punch with Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez that would b disgusting there a lil throw up in my mouth just thinkin bout it

Jon93405
07-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz

Alexander propelled the Tigers to the post season that year but went 0-2 with a 10.00 ERA in the ALCS and had 2 mediocre seasons to follow before retiring.

Smoltz has been the face of the Braves for the last couple decades.

Without this trade the Braves don't have the consecutive division championships they had.

BarnDAWG
07-14-2008, 04:27 PM
If Gorkys continues to progress at this pace, things could get ugly. Nonetheless, Edgar Renteria for Jair Jurrjens/Gorkys Hernandez is already pretty lopsided in the Braves favor.

BB King
07-14-2008, 05:24 PM

do Fernandez and McGriff have their names around the new ballpark in San Diego anywhere as key contibutors for years?? I know that both Alomar and Carter made it to the Jays row of fame or whatever it's called!
So I would take a guess that that trade worked out a lot better for the Jays. (one of few)

DownInHouston
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM
No not all of them...and I am so glad that your banned yet again

Nice sarcasm there, what did he do his last start? 2.2 innings 6 ER? Like I said the kid is a headcase, he will look brilliant one day (without throwing a no hitter cause you know he can't handle that kinda pressure), and the next day he will look freaking awful.

And I love Swisher too, but Sweeney has filled in almost flawlessly for the A's, and Gio and Faunto are going to be great pitchers. In 4-5 years we are going to look back on that trade and say "wow, what a rape." But that's what Billy Beane does.

Did not mean sarcasm there but anyways...... I just was not sure. Could not remember if it was Danks or Floyd. Do not think its very fair to point out just one of his starts.

We will see with the Oak - Sox trade... maybe we can pry away Gio for like the millionth time :) (joking)

runningcircles
07-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz

Alexander propelled the Tigers to the post season that year but went 0-2 with a 10.00 ERA in the ALCS and had 2 mediocre seasons to follow before retiring.

Smoltz has been the face of the Braves for the last couple decades.

Without this trade the Braves don't have the consecutive division championships they had.

This was the one that I was going to mention. Giving up Doyle for the only pitcher in the history of the game to record 200+ wins and 150+ saves. If it wasn't for the injuries to John's elbow and shoulder (which he probably could've avoided if he'd have just CHEATED like Clemens) there is really no telling how many wins he'd have by now! Either way he has been the FACE of the franchise for the better part of two decades and also was one of the best "big game" pitchers of his time. Remember, Smoltzie also has the most wins in playoff history, and, if the Braves could've just given him ONE run, would've won game 7 in the 91 series (Morris pitched TEN shutout innings, Smoltz pitched NINE!).

Considering how high the team is on Escobar, it was kind of a no-brainer dealing Renteria before becoming a free agent, but hopefully this offseason's deal with the Tigers will be just as successful! Heck of a job by FW picking Jurjjens out of all the Tiger pitchers, especially when you consider the ceiling of Gorkyz!

Shifty1 69
07-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Ummm, this is the MLB forum.:confused::eyebrow:
Besides, there was no Cap in hockey when that deal went down.:cool::D

Shifty1 69
07-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Cant believe it took almost 2 pages to get this one out.... WOW.:speechless:

ruslan898
07-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Bobby Abreau to the Yankees, we got nothing for himm.

quade36
07-15-2008, 03:05 PM
That oakland-chicago trade is not a bad trade for either team at this point. You can't make assumptions like that just yet. Lots of things could happen before we know the results.

As for the Cubs getting Ramirez and Lee for nothing. Hendry is smart. He realizes that teams like the Pirates and Marlins generally don't pay their players well. Both those trades were more for financial reasons then anything else. So it wasn't like the cubs fleeced those teams. They were dumping those players, the cubs knew it. Therefore both teams acheived their goal.