PDA

View Full Version : I am a Left Handed Pitcher born in '94

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I am left handed and pitch. I am bout to turn 14 I am throwing 65-70 right now. I dont throw any kind of breaking balls. I have a good changeup and good sidearm pitches. I work very hard every day. Do youll think i can go all the way? i am a sports fanitac and LOVE baseball. ANy excerices tat youll suggest?

CardzRule
07-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Let me tell you what I know.

Don't start throwing breaking balls until your sophomore year in high school. It can ruin your arm. Heck, I practically ruined my chances throwing sliders my freshman year. Condition your arm year round, and spend a lot of time in the batting cage, even if you're only a pitcher. Throw mainly fastballs, and don't overwork yourself. Throw strikes, not hard.

Good luck. Get professional coaching.

Tkais9009
07-12-2008, 08:36 PM
get a curve thats strong sometime in highschool. that will baffle batters and get you into a good college and maybe even further

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks!! Im not im working on a knuckleball its doing fairly good. ive been throwing it and getting strikeouts. I do work at hitting too maybe as much as pitching i just love Pitching! lol. I am i have a coach who pitched in the Pros. Thank you sooo much!

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 08:37 PM
get a curve thats strong sometime in highschool. that will baffle batters and get you into a good college and maybe even further

okay thanks!

Tkais9009
07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
okay thanks!

no problem. thats what my brother said helped him dominate the high school level and get a scholarship :)

Freel for prez
07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Do Nolan Ryans , the workout. It will help your balance tremendously along with your hand-eye coordination.

Scheck
07-12-2008, 08:42 PM
When you get drafted into the MLB next year, you gotta send me 400 autographs

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Do Nolan Ryans , the workout. It will help your balance tremendously along with your hand-eye coordination.

what excatcly is that? ive heard of it but dont know what it is

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 08:46 PM
no problem. thats what my brother said helped him dominate the high school level and get a scholarship :)

haha. where did you play?

Ramon Nivar
A good change-up with two good fastballs could easily carry you to varsity without throwing a curve or slider. My coaches always taught me that the two seamer was very valuable since as a lefty it acted like a cutter for me. Also a circle change might be something to play around with, that was the only one I threw and it worked like a curveball most of the time. I remember freshman year during try-outs the coach came out and told me to throw my curveball more but it turned out it was my circle change he meant. Either it really is a killer pitch or he is an idiot. I'd believe both.

THS_Yankee3
When you get drafted into the MLB next year, you gotta send me 400 autographs

400? how bout 20000

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
A good change-up with two good fastballs could easily carry you to varsity without throwing a curve or slider. My coaches always taught me that the two seamer was very valuable since as a lefty it acted like a cutter for me. Also a circle change might be something to play around with, that was the only one I threw and it worked like a curveball most of the time. I remember freshman year during try-outs the coach came out and told me to throw my curveball more but it turned out it was my circle change he meant. Either it really is a killer pitch or he is an idiot. I'd believe both.

k thnks. change up is doing good so far. ive been throwing a sidearm one and it looks like a fastball then it just drops. its crazy against lefties. I just started throwing a cutter. It looks like a 2 seam then it just goes right tremndously i like it alot!

letsgofish
i know its notabout throwing fast, but if you dont throw any offspeed stuff or have major league heat, its unlikely you will get anywhere. i would work on just throwing offspeed stuff and locating pitches. so offspeed and control would be my advice.

try to incorporate 2 of 3 out of the change slider and curve

letsgofish
and also try to make sure you repeat your delivery always

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 08:51 PM
i know its notabout throwing fast, but if you dont throw any offspeed stuff or have major league heat, its unlikely you will get anywhere. i would work on just throwing offspeed stuff and locating pitches. so offspeed and control would be my advice.

try to incorporate 2 of 3 out of the change slider and curve

im throwing hard for my age right now. or not hard but harder then all my competion like in the world series. I locate the best. its just my 2 seam has so much movement its hard to throw sometimes i get tons of groundball outs because it dives :)

WOwolfOL
07-12-2008, 08:52 PM

I wasn't a pitcher so I have no advice but haha @ this

lotti51
07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Against big power hitters, through away. A lot of those kids can't take anything to right field, 'cause there all dead pull. If you through away then you will get a lot of groundballs to 3rd, and SS.

Tkais9009
07-12-2008, 08:57 PM
haha. where did you play?

He dominated our high school and got a scholarship to ISU but blew his arm out sophmore year. this was like 8 years ago though so he's over it now.

JHG722
07-12-2008, 08:59 PM
THS=Trumbull High School?

letsgofish
07-12-2008, 09:00 PM
im throwing hard for my age right now. or not hard but harder then all my competion like in the world series. I locate the best. its just my 2 seam has so much movement its hard to throw sometimes i get tons of groundball outs because it dives :)

when i was your age i played catcher and threw that but i was a really really good player so im not sure what the average was. and i was a lot bigger than the rest of the kids so i am probably wrong

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
THS=Trumbull High School?

no Thomasville

JHG722
07-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Bandwagon Yankees fan from GA?

THS_Yankee3
Against big power hitters, through away. A lot of those kids can't take anything to right field, 'cause there all dead pull. If you through away then you will get a lot of groundballs to 3rd, and SS.

okay what if they keep fouling it?

letsgofish
okay what if they keep fouling it?

mix your speeds.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Bandwagon Yankees fan from GA?

my dad is a yankee fan. when he grew up he watched the yankees so i quess i got it from him

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
when i was your age i played catcher and threw that but i was a really really good player so im not sure what the average was. and i was a lot bigger than the rest of the kids so i am probably wrong

im 5'9" right now. My dad is 6'5" and my mom is 5'9" so im going to be tall lol

lotti51
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
also kids at the bottom of the order, throw in they won't have bat speed to get the barrel on the ball. you get strikes really easily, then change up away. he gone, all day.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:05 PM
He dominated our high school and got a scholarship to ISU but blew his arm out sophmore year. this was like 8 years ago though so he's over it now.

oh okay that sucks about his arm

THS_Yankee3
mix your speeds.

okay would an away change up work?

torontosports10
Look at what some of the best pitchers in baseball have. Not all over poweing stuff but great contral. Learn to harness what you have. Remember fastball changeup is the best combo in the game so learn to throw a good change. IF you can put a little tail,sink,cut on you fastball try to caused then you will induce many groundball by missing alot of barrels of bats and that helps alot. And have a breaking pitch and try to master one of them. Use it rarely only when in a jam cause as said before they **** your arm up but it will also mess up the hitter when he doesnt expect it.

Being a lefty and throwing hard definalty helps but CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL.. ask Doc Halladay about that as he 2 hit the yanks with great control and movement on his pitches

JAYZFAN9
07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
This will sound like novice advice but it is simple and true

Changing speeds and keeping hitters off balance is THE most important thing. You dont need to be throwing the ball through hitters. Use what you have effectively and you will do fine

lotti51
07-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Look at what some of the best pitchers in baseball have. Not all over poweing stuff but great contral. Learn to harness what you have. Remember fastball changeup is the best combo in the game so learn to throw a good change. IF you can put a little tail,sink,cut on you fastball try to caused then you will induce many groundball by missing alot of barrels of bats and that helps alot. And have a breaking pitch and try to master one of them. Use it rarely only when in a jam cause as said before they **** your arm up but it will also mess up the hitter when he doesnt expect it.

Being a lefty and throwing hard definalty helps but CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL.. ask Doc Halladay about that as he 2 hit the yanks with great control and movement on his pitches

no joke. words of the wise.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:10 PM

thanks! im really really working hard with like placing pitches. thats my biggest problem right now im really good with the mental part (not bragging) lol its just like my changeup is hanging alot of the times and it gets hit but usually it is great but its the pitch im having a hard time with

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:11 PM
This will sound like novice advice but it is simple and true

Changing speeds and keeping hitters off balance is THE most important thing. You dont need to be throwing the ball through hitters. Use what you have effectively and you will do fine

okay. all of the speed is with your thumb right? is there any other kind of way to help changing speeds

JHG722
07-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Here's some good advice: Have a back-up plan

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I know its every kids-teenager to play in the MLB i just want it soo bad!!!!! I want to be able to pitch the whole season then go into the off-season and do alot of things with F.C.A.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Here's some good advice: Have a back-up plan

I do. I either want to do something with baseball like coach, GM, Agent. or become a docter. I made a 1000 on the S.A.T in the 7th grade! hahaha just got them back whoop!:)

torontosports10
07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
thanks! im really really working hard with like placing pitches. thats my biggest problem right now im really good with the mental part (not bragging) lol its just like my changeup is hanging alot of the times and it gets hit but usually it is great but its the pitch im having a hard time with

Remember tho you will not always have you best stuff everytime etc. For my change up i use a Circle Change grip (google it if ya wana see it). I throw it same as fastball and almost push it out. For some reason it moves move when i do the pushing of the ball. But if your a big lefty and can throw hard with movemnt, devolp the chnage and have a good breaker you got a shot

lotti51
07-12-2008, 09:16 PM
okay. all of the speed is with your thumb right? is there any other kind of way to help changing speeds

the tighter you hold the ball the slower. and a way for your change to not hang is release the ball a little later it will dive into the dirt. lot of groundballs, and k's.

JHG722
07-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I do. I either want to do something with baseball like coach, GM, Agent. or become a docter. I made a 1000 on the S.A.T in the 7th grade! hahaha just got them back whoop!:)

That's cool.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Remember tho you will not always have you best stuff everytime etc. For my change up i use a Circle Change grip (google it if ya wana see it). I throw it same as fastball and almost push it out. For some reason it moves move when i do the pushing of the ball. But if your a big lefty and can throw hard with movemnt, devolp the chnage and have a good breaker you got a shot

oh yeah know about the best stuff those days are horrible lol but everyone has them. its part of the game the thing i hate about those is that you let your team down like if your just completly off. it sucks! okay thanks

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:20 PM
the tighter you hold the ball the slower. and a way for your change to not hang is release the ball a little later it will dive into the dirt. lot of groundballs, and k's.

okay so you mean with your fingers too? and okay

CAIN=FUTURE

Im a big and I go oppo a lot. I have more power to RF than LF.

THS_Yankee3
whats the nolan ryan workout?

torontosports10
07-12-2008, 09:21 PM
ya but when ya lose 1-0 the team let you down so it goes bvoth ways no gettin caught up in that stuff.

Im outie tho Good Luck and keep us updated

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Im a big and I go oppo a lot.

oppo????

letsgofish
07-12-2008, 09:22 PM
wow if you dont know what that means!!!

THS_Yankee3
ya but when ya lose 1-0 the team let you down so it goes bvoth ways no gettin caught up in that stuff.

Im outie tho Good Luck and keep us updated

okay thanks for everything!! i def. will ttyl.

letsgofish
opposite field

THS_Yankee3
wow if you dont know what that means!!!

oh oh oh my b

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:23 PM
opposite field

true but most big hitters try and PULL everything

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-12-2008, 09:24 PM
I pitched for about 2 weeks in ST before I got hurt and sent home but I have had some really good pitching coaches. Best thing I can say is RUN, Run as much as you can and do leg work until you can barely walk. Pitching is all about mechanics, and every great pitcher in the history of the game has had 2 things strong legs and a wide extension. On your full stride you want to be 90% of your height, that will create more torque with resistance against your upper body which is where velocity comes in. Look at Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens look at their front shoulder at full stride then look how they use their body to create the torque that will give you the MPH's. I always remembered it as hold your front shoulder closed as long as possible and you will be more accurate cause your timing will be better and have more velocity.

lotti51
07-12-2008, 09:25 PM
wich is why throwing away gets them to roll it over.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I pitched for about 2 weeks in ST before I got hurt and sent home but I have had some really good pitching coaches. Best thing I can say is RUN, Run as much as you can and do leg work until you can barely walk. Pitching is all about mechanics, and every great pitcher in the history of the game has had 2 things strong legs and a wide extension. On your full stride you want to be 90% of your height, that will create more torque with resistance against your upper body which is where velocity comes in. Look at Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens look at their front shoulder at full stride then look how they use their body to create the torque that will give you the MPH's. I always remembered it as hold your front shoulder closed as long as possible and you will be more accurate cause your timing will be better and have more velocity.

okay thankkss!!! so is squats the best thing to do for your legs? I want some home excerises other than running to do but i dont know any. any suggestions?

CardzRule
07-12-2008, 09:26 PM
BTW, what's your name, just to see if you make it someday?
And send me an autograph. Postage shouldn't be a problem with your 2.5 million dollar signing bonus.

lotti51
07-12-2008, 09:27 PM
squats r good with a 25 pound plate. also lunges.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:27 PM
wich is why throwing away gets them to roll it over.

yeah. thats the thing i can do best is hit that outside corner if i get a ump that can call the outside corner then i get tons of strikeouts. i need to work on the inside corner but im doing better with it. with like the cutter and i changed my 4 seam grip and its working better

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=CardzRule;5840107]BTW, what's your name, just to see if you make it someday?
And send me an autograph. Postage shouldn't be a problem with your 2.5 million dollar signing bonus.[/Q
h

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-12-2008, 09:29 PM
okay thankkss!!! so is squats the best thing to do for your legs? I want some home excerises other than running to do but i dont know any. any suggestions?

Squats, legs extensions, lunges. Curveballs are cool if your throwing a 12-6 but I wouldn't throw a slider until you have to.

CAIN=FUTURE

If its any help, I love the ball high and out side because I have long arms and I can get around on the ball better. So you should think about throwing some low inside fastballs. Long arms + low inside fastballs = NO solid contact.

lotti51
^^^yea anything with movement on the inside is deadly.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
squats r good with a 25 pound plate. also lunges.

okay. im coming back from a really bad foot injury with nerve damage. but ive been pitching just not anything else. so im trying to build my legs up big time

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Squats, legs extensions, lunges. Curveballs are cool if your throwing a 12-6 but I wouldn't throw a slider until you have to.

so lunges are really good? we did them every day in weightlifting but i didnt know they were that big.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 09:31 PM

I hate squats! I have to go so far down to do a real one its rediculous.

torontosports10
07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts.htm

This is a good workout for a young pitcher like yourself. Along with the running.

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Finger pressure on a 2 seamer can make it move anyway you want it inside and on the corners are where I used to live. Keep the ball low and you'll be ok.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:33 PM
^^^yea anything with movement on the inside is deadly.

okay. im really really working on that!

In_Ned_I_Trust

This is a good workout for a young pitcher like yourself. Along with the running.

Thanks great link!

THS_Yankee3
I hate squats! I have to go so far down to do a real one its rediculous.

haha i like him but they can get you tired but it builds you up mentally along with physically

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Finger pressure on a 2 seamer can make it move anyway you want it inside and on the corners are where I used to live. Keep the ball low and you'll be ok.

kk

letsgofish
07-12-2008, 09:34 PM
squats dont build you mentally

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:35 PM

thanks!!! great link!

lotti51
07-12-2008, 09:35 PM

only about 5 to 6 pound weight on this work out when 1st starting tho.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:36 PM

they do when you are pushing your self. so when you get in the last inning pitching and you are drained you can fight your way through it.

torontosports10
07-12-2008, 09:36 PM

I find working out builds me up mentally. I get in a zone and keep going and what not and it makes me focused on what i want to acheive.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
only about 5 to 6 pound weight on this work out when 1st starting tho.

okay. ive been trying to build my core up. thats the main thing ive been doing outside the feilds

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I find working out builds me up mentally. I get in a zone and keep going and what not and it makes me focused on what i want to acheive.

thank you. if you cant get that then when your on the diamond in a tough suitation you wont be able to come through

FC_4_life
07-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I am left handed and pitch. I am bout to turn 14 I am throwing 65-70 right now. I dont throw any kind of breaking balls. I have a good changeup and good sidearm pitches. I work very hard every day. Do youll think i can go all the way? i am a sports fanitac and LOVE baseball. ANy excerices tat youll suggest?

Dude I'd like to face u lol I'm 14 too and I play 2B/SS. What league do you play in?

chicagofan71
07-12-2008, 09:45 PM

You NEED a change up. I'm your age as well, and throwing hard like that won't get you anywhere once you start facing batters more than once. All they'll need to do is swing a bit early and oyu could get knocked around a bit.

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I play in Georgia. Dizzy Dean and JV and middle school

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:47 PM
can i be a Asst GM or what not? with the giants or do something?

FC_4_life
07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I play in Georgia. Dizzy Dean and JV and middle school

O nice. We don't have a middle school team but I play Pony and I did Starmaker. But I'm over on da West Coast.

For you pitching, you should probably try to add a curve or a slider, or something else with decent movement, cuz after a few at bats hitters will pick up the trajectory of your pitches. Also, make you sure you don't have any tendencies that hitters can pick up.

Any tips for me lol?

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:52 PM
O nice. We don't have a middle school team but I play Pony and I did Starmaker. But I'm over on da West Coast.

For you pitching, you should probably try to add a curve or a slider, or something else with decent movement, cuz after a few at bats hitters will pick up the trajectory of your pitches. Also, make you sure you don't have any tendencies that hitters can pick up.

Any tips for me lol?

i play pony too. lol. keep the ball low and outside. never throw the ball down the middle not matter what unless its a 3-0 count. dont go for the srikeouts go for the groundball outs......... do you have any jobs on your fantasy team or whatever it is? lol

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 09:57 PM
?

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I want to do smthing with a team do you have any teams that dont have someone?

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Any tips for me lol?

If you dont mind me asking, whats your name. I live very close to Foster City, and I know a lot of people over there.

FC_4_life
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
i play pony too. lol. keep the ball low and outside. never throw the ball down the middle not matter what unless its a 3-0 count. dont go for the srikeouts go for the groundball outs......... do you have any jobs on your fantasy team or whatever it is? lol

Nice are you guys in the tournament right now? I pitched in Little League but stopped to focus on hitting. I like all your tips though, except the one for don't throw it down the middle unless its 3-0. I think you shouldn't throw it down the middle at all, even with a 3-0 count. Because in high school coaches begin giving players the green light on 3-0 counts, and they crush the ball if you throw it right down the middle.

O the Mock Trade Deadline? I'd really like to give you the Assistant job but I'm kinda full with two Co-GMs.

But PM me any trades ideas you might have...

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Nice are you guys in the tournament right now? I pitched in Little League but stopped to focus on hitting. I like all your tips though, except the one for don't throw it down the middle unless its 3-0. I think you shouldn't throw it down the middle at all, even with a 3-0 count. Because in high school coaches begin giving players the green light on 3-0 counts, and they crush the ball if you throw it right down the middle.

O the Mock Trade Deadline? I'd really like to give you the Assistant job but I'm kinda full with two Co-GMs.

But PM me any trades ideas you might have...

yeah. and that is very true didnt think of it like that. lol and okay. i will def.

torontosports10
07-12-2008, 10:10 PM
You can be an asst with us in the MLB Re-draft if you would like. Have to run it by the Commish;'s first but i think they will allow it. PM me if your interested

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
did you get my pm?

bagwell368
07-12-2008, 10:23 PM
My elder son (16) and I are lefties. Don't throw breaking balls until you are age 16 at the earliest.

Instead work on grips in this order:

2 seam (natural sinking motion makes it tough to hit square)
4 seam (fastest, but straight, can be mangled by good->elite hitters)
3 finger change (pretty easy to learn, and easy to throw with fastball arm motion.
circle change (tougher to learn, can be mastered at age 18 or 19)

I promise you won't master these before you turn 16.

Do not ignore your long toss, and your days off. Road work and weight lifting for your legs is key (for my son it was). I was blessed with long and very powerful legs so it wasn't an issue for me. ALso make sure you are using every ounce of energy from your legs and butt, and keep your midsection low, throw over the top, and do not overly whip your arm in your motion, and decelerate it as fast as you can (IE do not let your hand go to ground or through your legs with any real velocity on it, you'll wreck your shoulder).

I could throw 80 at 14, and 90 at 16. Screwballs and curveballs ended my career. I wasn't going anywhere anyhow, all I wanted to do was K guys. And believe me, I was about as dumb as "meat" LaLoush.

My son throws about 80 at 16, but has location, 3 pitches (2 seam, 3 finger change, and curve (about 8 a game). He is a real pitcher, and since I taught him everything I could, he's been seeing two coaches for about 10 months. He is in a camp by invitation run by college coaches in a couple of weeks. I think being a lefty and having a healthy arm and real smarts he could make a Divsion 3 team. If he can grow from his 6' 2" 180 frame to something like 6' 5" 205 at the end of senior year and get his 4 seam fastball over 90, then he could go higher.

Good luck

FC_4_life
07-12-2008, 10:27 PM
yeah. and that is very true didnt think of it like that. lol and okay. i will def.

Yup, glad to help. Thats been my strategy all year, swing in a 3-0 count if the pitch is good. But it has to be right there, no sense in wasting a walk. Plus, umpires usually call the pitch a strike unless it is really far off the plate, because they want the batter to have to work to get on. High school next year should be very different though...

Have you guys gotten far in the tournament? We just started today with a 9-6 win. Actually, our starting pitcher today was another guy who is a member of PSD, PJD0212.

Alright well good luck with the GM thing and PM me if you wanna do any trades... Thanks!!!

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 10:28 PM
My elder son (16) and I are lefties. Don't throw breaking balls until you are age 16 at the earliest.

Instead work on grips in this order:

2 seam (natural sinking motion makes it tough to hit square)
4 seam (fastest, but straight, can be mangled by good->elite hitters)
3 finger change (pretty easy to learn, and easy to throw with fastball arm motion.
circle change (tougher to learn, can be mastered at age 18 or 19)

I promise you won't master these before you turn 16.

Do not ignore your long toss, and your days off. Road work and weight lifting for your legs is key (for my son it was). I was blessed with long and very powerful legs so it wasn't an issue for me. ALso make sure you are using every ounce of energy from your legs and butt, and keep your midsection low, throw over the top, and do not overly whip your arm in your motion, and decelerate it as fast as you can (IE do not let your hand go to ground or through your legs with any real velocity on it, you'll wreck your shoulder).

I could throw 80 at 14, and 90 at 16. Screwballs and curveballs ended my career. I wasn't going anywhere anyhow, all I wanted to do was K guys. And believe me, I was about as dumb as "meat" LaLoush.

My son throws about 80 at 16, but has location, 3 pitches (2 seam, 3 finger change, and curve (about 8 a game). He is a real pitcher, and since I taught him everything I could, he's been seeing two coaches for about 10 months. He is in a camp by invitation run by college coaches in a couple of weeks. I think being a lefty and having a healthy arm and real smarts he could make a Divsion 3 team. If he can grow from his 6' 2" 180 frame to something like 6' 5" 205 at the end of senior year and get his 4 seam fastball over 90, then he could go higher.

Good luck

Thanks!!! those are the excact pitches i am working on! I am using some sidearm action in there and it is going good! I hope your son goes all the way!

OneOpportunity
07-12-2008, 10:53 PM
There's definitely some good info here, but here are some things i want to add on:
1. Be as explosive as you can. Drive out with that back leg towards the plate and have the mentality that you are throwing "through" the glove, not to it.

2. Always keep moving. When you are in the windup and you go into a leglift DO NOT make a complete pause at your balance point. Instead kind of drift through it and dont stop. You really dont want any major pauses in your motion or you will lose velocity and force more stress on your arm. A major thing scouts look at is your tempo (how long your windeup takes) and the lower the amount of time it takes the better (to an extent).

3. Use your body to throw, not your arm. When you are pitching you should barely if at all feel your arm doing any work. Your body should be doing the work while your arm whips through

4. Have a long stride. Have a stride of at least 90% of your height (preferably closer to 100%). This shouldnt be too hard as long as you are explosive and keep moving throughout your delivery. If you have a short stride it can be an indication that you are not being explosive and you are not moving at a good tempo

5. ditch the knuckleball. Honestly it really isnt going to get you anywhere and is only going to be effective up until high school. It's fine now as long as you realize it wont be a pitch that will be very effective in high school and above

6. Work on the changeup. All scouts (pro, college, etc) want to see a guy with a good changeup. This is number one priority in terms of offspeed pitches. Get a feel and learn to start it at the knees and drop it out of the zone. Be able to throw it in any count (it will take time to get to this point)

Oh and good luck with all your pitching! Hope you do well

THS_Yankee3
07-12-2008, 11:03 PM
There's definitely some good info here, but here are some things i want to add on:
1. Be as explosive as you can. Drive out with that back leg towards the plate and have the mentality that you are throwing "through" the glove, not to it.

2. Always keep moving. When you are in the windup and you go into a leglift DO NOT make a complete pause at your balance point. Instead kind of drift through it and dont stop. You really dont want any major pauses in your motion or you will lose velocity and force more stress on your arm. A major thing scouts look at is your tempo (how long your windeup takes) and the lower the amount of time it takes the better (to an extent).

3. Use your body to throw, not your arm. When you are pitching you should barely if at all feel your arm doing any work. Your body should be doing the work while your arm whips through

4. Have a long stride. Have a stride of at least 90% of your height (preferably closer to 100%). This shouldnt be too hard as long as you are explosive and keep moving throughout your delivery. If you have a short stride it can be an indication that you are not being explosive and you are not moving at a good tempo

5. ditch the knuckleball. Honestly it really isnt going to get you anywhere and is only going to be effective up until high school. It's fine now as long as you realize it wont be a pitch that will be very effective in high school and above

6. Work on the changeup. All scouts (pro, college, etc) want to see a guy with a good changeup. This is number one priority in terms of offspeed pitches. Get a feel and learn to start it at the knees and drop it out of the zone. Be able to throw it in any count (it will take time to get to this point)

Oh and good luck with all your pitching! Hope you do well

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! I want to keep the knuckle around so i can use it in highschool. I am really working on the changeup. thanks so much!!!

ThisIsTheYear
07-12-2008, 11:34 PM
The most important thing is repition. If you start changing your delivery, it will mess up your accuracy, velocity and can lead to injury. Try to repeat the same exact delivery every time.

And don't worry about any kind of breaking ball for another year or two. That will kill your arm. Just work on mastering your fastball. And try to get your legs strong and flexible. The longer your stride, the harder you will throw. Your legs and hips generate all your velocity.

hgtiger32
07-13-2008, 12:36 AM
trying to think of things that haven't been said

ummmmmmm....

do the towel drill. where you have a small dish towel in your glove. do your normal windup and stretch motion. have a partner idk 3 feet in front of u or w.e. your stride length, kneeling with his glove out..You grab hold of the towel and try to your motion and extend all the way to the glove and snap it with the towel...if you don't get this send me a message and ill explain it

another one is to stand on a 2x4 or 2x6...idk....stand on the board so that your feet are perpendicular with the board...go from the SET and throw...works on your balance

don't know if this works in baseball too...but i read a bio about Reggie Miller and he said that when he was a teen he stretched when he went to bed and when he woke up...improves flexibility

Get quick feet....do dot drills and ladder drills

Get jobbing or something similar that works on your arm motion

i have some more suggestions that ill give you soon...but if u got any Q's send me a message

boeknows
07-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Ive heard from some former pitchers that they used to stretch out their fingers by holding a softball between their fingers. It helped with their offspeed pitches. Ive just heard this stuff though and am not a pitcher so take it for what its worth.

zambo4president
07-13-2008, 04:01 AM
get a dominant pickoff move going.
always ice your arm.
run after every time you throw (it breaks up the dead blood vessels after you throw)

ThunderRoad75
07-13-2008, 04:56 AM
I know its every kids-teenager to play in the MLB i just want it soo bad!!!!! I want to be able to pitch the whole season then go into the off-season and do alot of things with F.C.A.

never loose site of your dream pitching is a art form so lern the craft and listen to those who know the tallent will take care of its self if u believe in your self follow your heart
Baseball is the greatest of all games good luck

lotti51
07-13-2008, 07:58 AM
can i be a Asst GM or what not? with the giants or do something?

Oh i need a Asst, or Co. well pm if ur interested.

THS_Yankee3
07-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh i need a Asst, or Co. well pm if ur interested.

I PM you. you havent replyed. What team?

R. Johnson#3
07-13-2008, 07:13 PM

You need to take your glove everywhere you go. Talk to it, console it and even love it. Then you'll make it.

R. Johnson#3
07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks!!! those are the excact pitches i am working on! I am using some sidearm action in there and it is going good! I hope your son goes all the way!

In all seriousness try to stay away from side-arm. When I was a year or so younger than you I was throwing side-arm. My arm would hurt for a good day or 2 after I had pitched just 2 innings. I know some of it had to do with the fact that I was still young but in my first year of throwing 3 quarters I did not get those same pains.

CardzRule
07-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I have to agree with the subarming. I got so low, it ruined my chances. When I was younger, I just did things naturally. I didn't get coaching, so I sidearmed enough to snap tendons in my wrist and elbows. That felt even worse than breaking my arm. Also ruined my baseball career.

ChiksDigJocks
07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Long toss to keep your arm strong and build arm strength. Use a cutter and change speeds, and like others have said, don't use the deuce til 16. Ice arm after every bullpen session and outing, and remember have fun.

Good luck!

bagwell368
07-13-2008, 09:24 PM

You are welcome. I would lay off the sidearm stuff. Did you know the shoulder is one of the most complex joints in the body, and is the last one to fully mature - usually at about age 27/28. Anything that tourques it - such as an artificial elbow angle can damage the should and elbow, and growth plates (mostly past those for you I think). Somewhere between 3/4 and over the top is what looks right to me for most pitchers.

Oh yeah, if you ice a lot, be prepared to stretch and warm a lot. Heavy icing routine and then hard throwing, other sports, hitting, etc. can tweak out a shoulder real fast!

Good luck!

THS_Yankee3
07-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank youll for all the help!!!!!!!!!

eyememine
07-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Fastball/changeups is the best combo in baseball

chicubs377
07-14-2008, 09:01 AM
if you don't get a consistent curve by the time you make varsity then its over...in middle school all you face is pitchers who throw fastball-curve combinations...very few pitchers don't have a breaking pitch of a kind..still use the fastball primarily and just like set a mental limit for how many curves you want to throw an inning..good luck to you....

Cronin
07-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Good luck and don't let anything discourage/intimidate you.

FriarFanatic
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
i say good luck to you man. im 17 throwin low 80s and i agree that you should hold off on the curveballs until about your soph year. thats what i did and i have never had arm problems. keep throwing changeups and work hard. best of luck to you

Cronin
07-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I actually saw Lotti51 pitch the other day, and he struck out 9 and only allowed 1 hit in 7 innings. We live around the same neighborhood and my brother catches for him on his high school team. He has a really nice fastball-changeub-slider combination and you could get some advice from somebody in a similar situation

homie564
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
well im your age so i think i can help a bit... what you should do is try to develop a very strong 2-seam fastball... idk if thats beenmentioned... no breaking balls but if you want one now the 12-6 curveball fools all kids our age idc how good they are. And for maybe about your junior year try to develop a unique pitch and perfect it, it will get you noticed by scouts.... ive worked on two but i dontplan to go pro in baseball... the forkball and knucklecurve. they are both very unique pitches with nice movement.... id say maybe around your sophmore year throw maybe 2 or 3 of your choice every game and it will help perfect it by your senior year. Throw alot of fastballsbut dont try to throw hard try and get the strikes... dont blow out your shoulder by exceeding your speed limit. a splitter is also a nice pitch if you chose not to try the forkball for later on. as mentioned earlier the circle change could be dominant but i say stick to the 3-fingered change its just as good... Good Luck to you man!

Cronin
07-14-2008, 04:06 PM
well im your age so i think i can help a bit... what you should do is try to develop a very strong 2-seam fastball... idk if thats beenmentioned... no breaking balls but if you want one now the 12-6 curveball fools all kids our age idc how good they are. And for maybe about your junior year try to develop a unique pitch and perfect it, it will get you noticed by scouts.... ive worked on two but i dontplan to go pro in baseball... the forkball and knucklecurve. they are both very unique pitches with nice movement.... id say maybe around your sophmore year throw maybe 2 or 3 of your choice every game and it will help perfGAYect it by your senior year. Throw alot of fastballsbut dont try to throw hard try and get the strikes... dont blow out your shoulder by exceeding your speed limit. a splitter is also a nice pitch if you chose not to try the forkball for later on. as mentioned earlier the circle change could be dominant but i say stick to the 3-fingered change its just as good... Good Luck to you man!

No it won't.

homie564
07-14-2008, 05:38 PM
No it won't.

yeah it will.. my 2nd cousin was scouted by im not sure which college and it was because he was noticed by scots by being the only kid in highschool to throw a screwball. and was that really necessary... dude seriously common he asked for opinions i gave him my opinion :sigh:

chicagowhitesox
07-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Good for you. What is this? YouTube? That's the place to go to make boastful claims with no evidence.

JacKnife
07-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I played ball for a large part of my life as a pitcher. At an early age just focus on FORM. Don't focus on numbers or the pitchers you're throwing.

Don't worry about throwing a breaking ball yet. Work on your form from top to bottom, throw correctly and learn to repeat your windup consistently over and over. Learning to throw from the windup and the stretch. Work on being consistent, throw the ball at the same level and angle everytime you throw, create consistency.

In terms of importance in regards to pitching.

Fastball then changeup. Changing speeds is incredibly important and if you have a feel for the changeup at an early age you're way ahead of the game. Work in being able to throw your changeup consistently for strikes and learn how to replicate your arm and release so that it's virtually identicle to your fastball.

I didn't begin throwing a breaking pitch until my senior year of HS and still seldom used it until college. Keep in mind that most HS baseball coaches don't know how to properly throw breaking pitches, therefore most HS players are taught incorrectly.

NYMets27
07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
really work on ure control thats watr had me pitching realy well i had a mid 80's heater but i knew how 2 hit the corners. If u c all the top starters in the majors yes they all have good fastballs but most of them arent throwin 98-100 they use there 93 mph to hit corners and not only get a lot of strikeouts but use there off speed pitches 2 induce grounders and easy popouts and i kno whenever u go 2 the gym try using those machines only the girls use like the hip flexors lol not only will it help pitching but it will help hitting power

OneOpportunity
07-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Also, always make sure that you throw your bullpens at full intensity. This will help IMMENSLY when it comes to both control and being able to pitch deep in the games. How are you going to throw 90 pitches in a game if you only throw a 50 pitch bullpen at 75%? The answer is, you simply wont be able to; or at least you wont be throwing effectively later in the game. Condition yourself in bullpens so when it comes gae time it will be second nature. You wont have to worry about your mechanics breaking down because you are physically exhausted. You wont have to worry about leaving pitches over the middle. You wont have to worry about any of that because you have conditioned yourself to be able to throw a lot of pitches and maintain your mechanics, velocity, and control.

Also, when you do decide to add a breaking ball to your repertoire (i would suggest when you are going into sophmore year or during your sophmore year) avoid splitters/forkballs. These two pitches can injure you very badly and should only be thrown when your body has COMPLETELY matured (which will be anywhere from 18 to over 20years old). The grip causes the tendons running from your hand to your elbows to split which lets just say is not good. The curveball will be your best bet because it is the easiest to throw (for most) correctly. A slider can be fine but can be detrimental if you do not throw it correctly (a lot of kids will come around the ball instead of on top and through the ball because they can get significant movement by coming around it butwill kill your elbow; not to mention that although coming around a slider will give it a lot of movement, the movement is not at all sharp and is easy for a batter to pick up while if you get on top of it and "cut through" the ball you will get much sharper/harder movement). Your goal for a curveball is to get it 12-6 (straight down) but if you throw from a 3/4 arm slot or lower then you will be throwing more of a 1-7 (or 2-8 if you are really low 3/4) which is fine for those arm angles.

The most important thing though that will give you the best velocity, control, and least chance for arm problems is to throw from your natural arm slot. Whether it be straight over the top (not many kids' natural arm slot is over the top but some are), 3/4 (most kids fit this category), or low 3/4 (not a whole lot of kids, but a good number. A lot of coaches at younger levels will say to throw over the top but this can be detrimental to pitchers. If you have a natural arm slot at 3/4 and you try to throw over the top because your coach tells you to, not only will you not throw as hard, but your command will be more inconsistent, and you are making yourself much more susceptible to injury. Throw from whatever angle you feel comfortable from, not where you have been coached to throw from by your little league coaches when you were younger.

LuCCi
07-15-2008, 02:28 AM
this guy is wrong don't listen to him:clap::smoking::D:cry: