PDA

View Full Version : Can Suns get Artest?

Mallpha
07-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Acording to hoopshype.com among some other teams Suns show intrest in Artest.

So my question is do you guys think we could really get him if so how much would it cost us?

STAT32
07-12-2008, 08:40 PM
It would cost us a package of, Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw, and Raja Bell

for

Ron Artest + Filler

nashty13
07-12-2008, 10:48 PM
i really don't see us getting him. I agree with stat we'd have to give up at least two of those players (most likely diaw and LB). Itd be a good move if we can force him to take his crazy pills.

rgluch74
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Artest is good, no doubt about it, but I really don't think the Suns need to take the risk on Artest playing nicely with others. I would steer clear of this one if I were Stevie Kerr.

Mallpha
07-13-2008, 03:50 AM
I think Kings would trade Artest and Kenny Thomas for Diaw and Barbosa but im not sure if its a good or bad deal since as you said he can go nuts so easy

dodie53
07-13-2008, 04:23 AM
artest and thomas for diaw and LB.

do it!

JPHX
07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
this is dumb. the suns arent even interested. this would ruin our chances at getting some depth. so sorry dont get your hopes up by suggesting trade scenarios.

king4day
07-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Yea i don't see this happening. if we did get him though, we'd have a very good defensive team. But doing so would put us in salary cap trouble for a few more years.

jlove
07-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Personally, I'd do a deal of Barbosa and Diaw for Artest, Thomas and either Douby or Garcia ooooorrrrrr for Thomas, Salmons and Garcia

whamo
07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I think that it would be awesome to get Artest, but we'd have to be really careful to find a good balance in any trade scenario. We can't give up too much for him.

29$JerZ
07-13-2008, 11:48 PM
It would be cool to see Artest in a Suns Uniform playing with Steve and Shaq

Sacramento needs a SF replacement if they trade Artest and maybe a young PF

I doubt it but maybe a deal involving Boris Diaw could be worked out

God of War
07-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Griffin has made it clear years ago that the Suns will only consider classy guys for a classy organization.

Aarick
07-14-2008, 01:54 AM
i would trade diaw and barbosa for artest, kenny thomas and garcia. we would be losing a small forward and a guard but gaining a sf/pf a pf and a sf/sg. and thomas's contract runs out in the same year as shaqs and nashs. it would give us even more salary cap space in the long run plus it wouldnt close our window either.

our line-up would be
nash/lue (assuming he comes)/dragic
bell/garcia/strawberry/hill if needed
artest/hill/garcia/tucker
stoudamire/artest/thomas
shaq/stoudamire/lopez/marks or skinner if they stay

Beno7500
07-14-2008, 02:40 AM
there is nothing in phx to want in return for artest.

NDP1981
07-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Not going to happen

lavis
07-14-2008, 04:02 AM
Artest? Nooooo..

Kerr should make moves soon though. Fans already want a new jersey and Artest :(

Couple of weeks from now yall want a new mascot :D

Mallpha
07-14-2008, 04:13 AM
this is dumb. the suns arent even interested. this would ruin our chances at getting some depth. so sorry dont get your hopes up by suggesting trade scenarios.

they'll hope to make something happen with someone else. Among the teams I've been told to keep a serious eye on in the Artest sweepstakes: Dallas, Miami, Phoenix , San Antonio and maybe even Charlotte.

Link - http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013818.html

Im not even sure if i like idea of losing Diaw and Barbosa for some one so unstable as Artest pretty much why i started this was to see what others think about that scenario.

I belive Suns may not be able to send best package for artest to Kings but im pretty sure we can take more of what they want to get rid of than any other team.

As for what i would do if i was the GM i would rather start Diaw over Hill at SF and wouldnt bother with any trades.

ptransfer
07-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Artest is a risk, theres no way you give up both Diaw and Barbosa. However artest has only one year left on his contract so he's not that big of a gamble. Even more important, there's a good chance that the kings would settle for an 'ok' trade rather than lose him for nothing (and he will probably leave) after a junk season where they wont make playoffs.

Therefore

Steve Kerr has gotta work his magic and see if the Kings wont bite for either Diaw or Barbosa and either Tucker or Strawberry. Of the other teams in the hunt, only Miami, by offering Marion (would the kings take him anyway?) could offer a better deal without giving up draft picks (unless Dallas gives up Josh Howard, but no one is that stupid!).

FreedomReigns
07-14-2008, 06:43 AM
To answer your question, yes the Suns can get Artest. Will they get him? Who knows?

The most I would offer if I was GM would be Diaw and a future 2nd. Im sure Sacramento would balk at that proposal but whatever. That's where negotiations come into play.

Artest has alot to offer as a player both defensively and offensively. Financially, his expiring contract is very appealing for a cash strapped organization like the Suns. Losing Diaws contract of 4 plus years @ 9 Mil. sounds great to me. You can't convince me that the kind of game Artest brings to the table would not be a benifit to the Suns. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

Artest big negative is obviously his character but I notice that some of you are willing to brush aside shady character (The prospect of Darius Miles signing) during times of need. So would Diaw and future number 2 pick for Artest be a bad trade? Depends on what kind of game Diaw brings this year.

Odds are Artest would fit very well even with his character issues. I can't name any other team in the league that equals the Suns when it comes to veteran leadership. Nash, Hill, Amare and even Shaq (sometimes) are all proven and effective leaders. Shaq seems to me more like a ego boost than a leader but he has his moments. Guess my point is, Artest might be a "bad boy" but I doubt he's an idiot.

I_Hate_Lakers
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
they dont have the players to do it

STAT32
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Well consider this guys, trading Boris and Barbosa for Ron Artest may not be so bad just for the sheer fact that we ditch a highly overpaid underperformer and a very one dimensional player for an expirer next year.

What i'm saying is, we bite the bullet this year and we effectively end up with 24 million dollars expiring next year! By trading Diaw and Barbosa and Artest and Hill expiring we end up with plenty of cap space. Enough cap space to nab another star next year. Then with Shaq expiring you end up with enough money to grab another star the year after that.

I would pull the trigger on that deal just for the sheer options that it gives us....

STAT32
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Scratch that, lol. We don't really end up under the cap that much.

Stupid miscalculation getting me all excited and what not...

JordansBulls
07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure what package you would give up, but I think he could help.

Maybe trade Diaw for him or Diaw and Barbosa for Artest and Thomas perhaps.

:shrug:

PG Nash
SG Bell
SF Artest
PF Amare
C Shaq

STAT32
07-14-2008, 08:16 PM
No offense, we have a thread about this.

Kenny Thomas is a huge waste of space...

Pnoyballer88
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I think Artest can get the Suns back in the title picture. I don't think his attitude will be a problem. He's got 3 veteran players on this team that can control him(Nash, Hill, and Shaq).

A straight up deal with Artest and Kenny Thomas for Diaw and Barbosa will be enough to get it done.

JordansBulls
07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
It would cost us a package of, Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw, and Raja Bell

for

Ron Artest + Filler

That's too much.

lavis
07-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah, LOL.

That would be a huge steal for Kings. We'd have Artest for a year with all his potential problems and be stuck with Kenny Thomas for two or three years is it? At 8 mil a year? Awful.

A week from now we'll prolly have "Why not trade for Marbury?".

STAT32
07-15-2008, 01:36 AM
^^^ I didn't mean all three, I should've said at least 2 of those three.

sunsalltheway03
07-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Although the prospect of getting Artest is interesting, I doubt it happens. If anything, the Lakers would most likely get him. I don't see us getting him. But, I am not opposed to getting him as our window is closing rapidly.

Mallpha
07-15-2008, 05:20 AM
How about Diaw and trade exception from Kurt Thomas for Artest and Kenny Thomas? We get better player (Artest) but we take their bad contract so seams like a fair deal

sunsalltheway03
07-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't think the Kings will want a trade exception. If anything, I think they're going to want more players or draft picks.

whamo
07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
The Lakers will probably be able to pick him up for Chrim Mihm and Coby Karl. LOL. I will believe that the Suns are going to get something done in this off season when I see it!! I am real frustrated.

daleja424
07-15-2008, 08:09 PM
ehhh...you dont have the pieces. I would say the Laker or Heat will probably end up with him...

JPHX
07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure what package you would give up, but I think he could help.

Maybe trade Diaw for him or Diaw and Barbosa for Artest and Thomas perhaps.

:shrug:

PG Nash
SG Bell
SF Artest
PF Amare
C Shaq

ok dudes. yes we would have a lethal starting lineup. but giving away diaw and barbosa? we would have no bench. we would have to rely on one vet (hill) and a bunch of rooks (lopez, strawberry and tucker). the key thing the suns are trying to do is create a balance in the team. if we trade for artest we'll be forced to go back to the D'antoni days with a 7 man rotation cause we would have no reliable bench. why do you think the spurs beat us ALL the time....cause they have a balanced team. balance is the key guys.....balance.