PDA

View Full Version : It's time for Blake DeWitt to be sent down

bestlakersfan
07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
He has done an absolutely amazing, and thoroughly surprising (at least to me) job filling in at third. But, the rigors and pressure of the Majors are catching up to him. He started off a bit slow, then warmed up and then was white-hot for a while, probably the best hitter on the team for a two-week period. But, he has just plain lost it since then. In June, he hit .182 with 3 RBI and so far in July he has hit .233 with 2 RBI. These numbers just donít cut it for an everyday 3B in the majors, no matter how much a feel-good story he is. No matter what he has done, he is just biting it. This is not a bad streak. He is simply overmatched and the opposing teams may have found a big weakness in his swing and/or approach at the plate.

He just needs to go down to AA or AAA for the rest of the season, get focused, readjusted, get his confidence up and work things out.

Remember, the job was LaRoche's and a FREAK accident caused him to go down and miss time. But he is back and needs consistent, CONSISTENT plating time now. Start him everyday for at least 2 months and let him play. I have said this before and I will say it again. He just needs to play everyday and he'll show what he's got. He has the best Minor League numbers out of all the guys (Loney, Kemp, Martin, Ethier, Young) who are performing well and needs that shot. I think he'll be our answer to 3B.

Oh, and please don't say that he has received that shot and has failed. Show me where he has started for at least 3 weeks straight. He hasn't, he doesn't even have 150 career, CAREER ABs. Also, he has been injured three times, but he is not fragile. Two of the injuries have been freakish accidents and he has recovered much quicker than was estimated for each of them. Plus the guy has never complained about not playing or being given playing time. Give him the job.

If it doesn't work out after 2-3 months, then we at least know he got a shot. We can then trade him and get something back. But we'll never know until we give him that shot. Stick with him. Let him play.

Thanks Mr. DeWitt, but you have to go. Welcome Mr. LaRoche, let's see what you got.

BlueZoo
07-12-2008, 02:56 PM
You will be hated and scorned...but your words are true.
Blake will be around for a long time. A good, hard nosed ballplayer like that is a rarity.
Be prepared for the onslaught. I got killed on an anti-Penny post /whine, and he's not even liked as much as DeWitt.
Is Penny still on the team?

GHGHCP
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Not hated at all, for well over a month now pitchers are overpowering him and with a little bad luck he is sporting his bad numbers as of late. Give LaRoche a shot, can't be any worse and can be helpful with his power.

gagnefan38
07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
While I acknowledge DeWitt is struggling I still like his defense at 3rd which has been steady and sometimes spectacular. I'm not sure LaRoche would be able to duplicate that play on the defensive side. Offensively the jury is still out on Andy but of course without sufficient playing time it's hard to judge. I'd give DeWitt the benefit of the doubt at least until a couple of weeks after the all-star break to break out, the rest and time away from baseball could do wonders.

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree pitchers have figured him out and he's just not ready to make the adjustments right now, send him down let him work on what their doing to him now and he'll be ready next year, or even as a Sept call up.

Shawh
07-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I like the idea. Sure he was a great Cinderella story at the beginning of the year, especially with the inside the park HR and .300+ BA, but he's dropped significantly. LaRoche hasn't really impressed me, or anyone else for that matters, but he really does have to get more ABs so we can see what he's all about. He couldn't be worse than Dewitt right now.

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I hate to say it, but I totally agree. The league has figured him out, and needs some adjustment time. And though I hate Laroche, he deserves his steady chance to show what he has got. Dewitt seems more like a second basemen anyways. He doesn't have the power potential that Laroche does, and he would be a solid
2bman. Dewitt handels himself great at third defensivley, but we need power at the corner. Laroche has the potential to bring that.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I actually want to win. And I really can't be arsed watching DP Andy for two months. But hey, DeWitt has cooled off majorly, but remember, he was hitting .350 + against lefties, now he faces only righties thanks to the platoon. Not his fault robo-manager plays by the book.

dodgerphreak
07-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I completely agree. he has been around long enough for pitchers to figure out how to pitch to him, and he's not making the adjustments to them adjusting to him. He does need to go down to AAA for the rest of the year and get it figured out, and then bring him back up when the AAA season ends and September rolls around. Laroche deserves at least a month chance.

dodgerdave
07-12-2008, 04:46 PM
LaRoche isn't any better. In fact he's worse. LaRoche is hitting .175/.283/.350

GHGHCP
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
LaRoche isn't any better. In fact he's worse. LaRoche is hitting .175/.283/.350

In 40 ABs.....

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
LaRoche needs to be traded before GMs, if they havent allready, figure out that his swing is just waay too long and it kills whatever trade value he might still have. Keep in mind if he cant beat out a guy who should be playing in AAA what does that say about him and his skills or lack of?? Sure he could hit in Vegas. That is w/out question. Who cant??? But he cant seem to do much of anything in the show. I could care less how many ABs hes had, he doesnt have IT. Send DeWitt down to Vegas, let him work at 2B where he belongs and trade LaRoche for Beltre.

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 12:43 PM
You saw the numbers ANDRUW was putting up down there...and if he could do that down there and suck *** in LA the same could be said about a rookie w years less of experience.

MrChris951
07-13-2008, 01:14 PM
One thing I have learned from these forums is that LA fans don't wanna give up our young players but also don't wanna deal with the ups and downs young players have. I think what we need to do with DeWitt is have him play everyday, stop sitting him against lefties. Just let him play, that's how he started out and played great. Now that he sits more he isn't doing as good

DodgerTitanFan
07-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Remember, the job was LaRoche's and a FREAK accident caused him to go down and miss time. No it wasn't. What an outright case of bullsh...errr....revisionist history. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MrChris951
07-13-2008, 01:17 PM
LaRoche needs to be traded before GMs, if they havent allready, figure out that his swing is just waay too long and it kills whatever trade value he might still have. Keep in mind if he cant beat out a guy who should be playing in AAA what does that say about him and his skills or lack of?? Sure he could hit in Vegas. That is w/out question. Who cant??? But he cant seem to do much of anything in the show. I could care less how many ABs hes had, he doesnt have IT. Send DeWitt down to Vegas, let him work at 2B where he belongs and trade LaRoche for Beltre.

I agree with trading LaRoche, but why bring Beltre back. I thought all Dodger fans were getting tired of over priced under achieving players

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I agree with trading LaRoche, but why bring Beltre back. I thought all Dodger fans were getting tired of over priced under achieving players

Bring him back because 1)We stil need a 3B 2) We could prob get hii cheap because of the SEA fire sale 3) His D is great 4) His bat is one of the best in the game 5)We should have never let him go to begin with.

Im not so sure about the underachieving part. Have you seen his numbers in comparison to other 3B?

MrChris951
07-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Bring him back because 1)We stil need a 3B 2) We could prob get hii cheap because of the SEA fire sale 3) His D is great 4) His bat is one of the best in the game 5)We should have never let him go to begin with.

Im not so sure about the underachieving part. Have you seen his numbers in comparison to other 3B?

For the skills he has he's been very underachieving in his career. I don't expect what he did his final year in LA, but I think he should him .300 30 hrs and 110 rbis every year at least

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 01:44 PM
For the skills he has he's been very underachieving in his career. I don't expect what he did his final year in LA, but I think he should him .300 30 hrs and 110 rbis every year at least

Well, hes not that far off from those numbers. Hes bating .260 with 16 hr and 46 rbi. Hes a nototious 2nd half player and is playing in one of the toughest pitchers parks in the game w/out any protection in the lineup. I think that he will prob finish off the season with numbers very close to what you have posted above.

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Id even go so far as to say that if you put him in BoSox lineup with Manny batting behind him he prob leads the majors in all batting catagories for 3B

MrChris951
07-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Id even go so far as to say that if you put him in BoSox lineup with Manny batting behind him he prob leads the majors in all batting catagories for 3B

Yeah but we don't have Manny on our team so he wouldn't do much for us

LAdiablo
07-13-2008, 01:55 PM
One thing I have learned from these forums is that LA fans don't wanna give up our young players but also don't wanna deal with the ups and downs young players have. I think what we need to do with DeWitt is have him play everyday, stop sitting him against lefties. Just let him play, that's how he started out and played great. Now that he sits more he isn't doing as good

bravo :clap:

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah but we don't have Manny on our team so he wouldn't do much for us

Perhaps, but we do have some players that get on base(we just dont drive them in) and could provide better protection for him than SEA. And lets not forget that he is still an elite 3B. 3B has been our biggest hole since he left and his power is much needed in our lineup. I think its a perfect match, and i truely believe Beltre is still a Dodger at heart.

gagnefan38
07-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Offensive comparison

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&section1=1&section2=1&section3=1&statSet1=null&statSet2=null&statSet3=null&statType=1&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2008&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=5&box6=XXXX134181sea5&box21=XXXX455088lan5&compare.x=21&compare.y=6

Defensive

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&section3=null&statSet3=null&sortByStat=G&statType=3&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2008&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage3=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=5&box3=XXXX134181sea5&box14=XXXX455088lan5&compare.x=38&compare.y=7

With the exception of the HR's they are pretty similar when you consider Blake has had fewer at-bats. Beltre has 11 more HR's yet only 12 more RBI. Defensively Beltre has more errors. Take it for what it's worth. I'd rather have the cheaper alternative than the expensive enigmatic guy. Just my 2 cents.

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 02:49 PM
so the guy with 130 more innings played has 3 more errors??

Perhaps we should take a CLOSER looks at those numbers.
14 more runs
20 more hits
5 more 2B
11 more HR
12 more RBI
54 more TB
13 more BB
4 more SB
.68 higher SLG

not even close

bestlakersfan
07-13-2008, 03:10 PM
You saw the numbers ANDRUW was putting up down there...and if he could do that down there and suck *** in LA the same could be said about a rookie w years less of experience.

Wow, you are just the kind of moron who deserves Colletti as a GM. If you think 8 ABs can show you something, you are a joke and have no idea about baseball.

If you are happy with a 3B who has 5 RBI, hitting under .200, with 0 HR in the past 1.5 months, then stick with DeWitt.

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Wow, you are just the kind of moron who deserves Colletti as a GM. If you think 8 ABs can show you something, you are a joke and have no idea about baseball.

If you are happy with a 3B who has 5 RBI, hitting under .200, with 0 HR in the past 1.5 months, then stick with DeWitt.

wtf are you talking about?? do you know how to read?? you are just the type of mron who would post some bull**** wthout taking the time to read through the rest of the posts.

deacons317
07-13-2008, 03:29 PM
LaRoche deserves a shot. You can't simply say he's one of the best prospects year in and year out, and never give him adequate at-bats.

NomarsOnlyHR
07-13-2008, 03:34 PM

This post actually made me laugh. Beltre's bat is one of the best in the game? He's a solid bat at best, and outside of his last season in LA, has never put up numbers that resemble anything close to outstanding. ARod, Braun, Cabrera, Wright, Aramis Ramirez and Aramis Ramirez are head and shoulders above Beltre with the bat. I'd even go so far as to say Ryan Zimmerman and Evan Longoria are better hitters as well.

bestlakersfan
07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
LaRoche deserves a shot. You can't simply say he's one of the best prospects year in and year out, and never give him adequate at-bats.

Ditto.

LA BUMS
07-13-2008, 03:54 PM
This post actually made me laugh. Beltre's bat is one of the best in the game? He's a solid bat at best, and outside of his last season in LA, has never put up numbers that resemble anything close to outstanding. ARod, Braun, Cabrera, Wright, Aramis Ramirez and Aramis Ramirez are head and shoulders above Beltre with the bat. I'd even go so far as to say Ryan Zimmerman and Evan Longoria are better hitters as well.

Braun- LF
Cabrera-1B

Beltre
6th in ABs
10th in Rs
8th in Hs
20th in 2B
7th in HR (16) the leader has (19)
15th in RBI

he seems to be near the topin every offensive catagory and doing this on a team that has numbers very comparable to what the Dodgers have. That being said, its safe to assume that he IS the entire offense for the Mariners.

Are those players better hitters?? Perhaps...but lets see here Arod perhaps the best to ever play the game, not even fair to compare. Wright is an offense surrounding him and runners who get on base. Ramirez hits in a park where if the catcher farts the ball has a great chance of going out. Zimmerman youve got to be kidding me with this one. Longoria good hitter, but doing lots of damage in a dome and his numbers are comparable to to guy whos done it year in and year outplus his glove is golden. Last time I checked none of those players are on the block or could be had, Beltre is and can be had plus hes got a bat thats up there with the leaders at his position. Last time I checked, weve got a kid who belongs in AAA and should be playing 2B at the corner.....Whos kidding who here???

dodgersfaninky
07-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree with Bums! If we can get Beltre we need to get him. But if we don't send Dewitt to AAA to learn 2nd base and start Laroche everyday. What's the worst that can happen we score less runs than we are right now.

Lineup w/Beltre
Martin
Ethier
Beltre
Loney
Kent
Garciaparra
Kemp
Jones

Lineup Without/Beltre

Garciaparra
Ethier
Martin
Loney
Kent
Kemp
Jones
Laroche

Tapptout
07-13-2008, 10:17 PM

AA actually which is even worse.

IBleedBlue15
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't think we're going to get Beltre...

gagnefan38
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
so the guy with 130 more innings played has 3 more errors??

Perhaps we should take a CLOSER looks at those numbers.
14 more runs
20 more hits
5 more 2B
11 more HR
12 more RBI
54 more TB
13 more BB
4 more SB
.68 higher SLG

not even close

The same reason you used 130 innings to justify your point is the same reason I could use 130 to justify that projecting the same amount of at-bats DeWitt is pretty close. Furthermore if you factor in salary, Beltre is overpaid and we already have a glut of overpaid vets. Also, with regards to his defense it's not the total innings but the chances that is more important to note. Then with regards to his RBI total a guy having 11 more HR's should have a heck of alot more RBI than Beltre has. We can both agree that both of our offenses are bad to mediocre so you can't use the excuse that guys have to be on base to drive them in. I'm not saying DeWitt is better but I have already seen Beltre's act and I'd rather DeWitt the chance than to be disappointed again by Adrian.

bestlakersfan
07-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Beltre is awful. If LaRoche gets the fulltime job, he will put up better numbers than Beltre does.

Some of you must be Ned's family members, because the people you are suggesting us getting are horrible. Beltre? haha...

BlueMouse
07-14-2008, 12:32 AM
:clap: bestlakersfan

I'm all for giving LaRoche a shot. Personally I'm interested in seeing if all the hype is for real. Blake gave it a good run, but we question all the time if Kershaw is being rushed or not. So is it beyond reason to wonder the same thing about DeWitt?

It's not like the Dodgers would be giving up on him, he would still be in the organization. For those who think it is outrageuos to send DeWitt back down, what is the reasoning behind that? Is it fear that LaRoche might acutally succeed?

The best thing for DeWitt is to get some more seasoning in the minors. The best thing for LaRoche is to get solid playing time in the majors. This is a no brainer.

Moon shot
07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah let's get bumtre so we can hear all the *****ing about his crappy OBP and how he ain't worth his gigantic undeserved salary. How much do you think he will resign for......someone will give him another 5 year 60-70 million....I just pray it is not us. He is what he has always been a little above average. This year, with the exception of maybe 5 or 6 more HRs, he is on his way to the same type of year he has had 9.5 of his 10.5 he has played. His "poor little me act" he pulled when he left was pathetic. 2004 was the exception not the rule. We would be just like A-Rod.......dreaming he's banging a 25 year old hottie when in reality she's just a 49 year old has been.

4everblue
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they trade for a SS and give 3B back to Nomar. I would also give LaRoche a full week of playing before making any decision.

DeWitt is definitely our next 3B, but he might still be a little bit raw.

dan1to
07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
:clap: bestlakersfan

I'm all for giving LaRoche a shot. Personally I'm interested in seeing if all the hype is for real. Blake gave it a good run, but we question all the time if Kershaw is being rushed or not. So is it beyond reason to wonder the same thing about DeWitt?

It's not like the Dodgers would be giving up on him, he would still be in the organization. For those who think it is outrageuos to send DeWitt back down, what is the reasoning behind that? Is it fear that LaRoche might acutally succeed?

The best thing for DeWitt is to get some more seasoning in the minors. The best thing for LaRoche is to get solid playing time in the majors. This is a no brainer.

This is close to what I see as well. DeWitt was stellar and is having trouble adjusting. The only reason to keep him on the MLB squad is if management thinks LaRoche cant produce. (If they thought that, Im sure he would have been gone already.)

I like DeWitt, I think he is a great kid, good defense, good bat... but I do think he can improve and become a great bat... thats why he should get a little more time to learn. (Who knows, maybe Mattingly will fix everything though, so it might be worth keeping him up?)

NY2LA
07-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I believe if we can get Beltre, it will be better for us. We can trade LaRoach, now that his stock is high, and before he gets hurt again. I dont believe he will live up to his expectations. We have a shot of winning the division now and getting into the playoffs, we should not be experimenting and go for it. Let Torre do his thing.

knoxcrew
07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I read on mlbtraderumors that Beltre has been playing with a sore wrist, so I say no thank you to that idea. Any other ideas?