PDA

View Full Version : Boy fractures skull after being hit by ball at Wrigley

CarniifeX
07-12-2008, 12:23 PM
CHICAGO (AP) - Doctors and family members say a 7-year-old boy who fractured his skull when he was struck by a foul ball at Wrigley Field was recovering and expected to live.

Dominic DiAngi of suburban Frankfort was sitting behind the Cubs dugout Thursday afternoon during a game between the Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds when a foul ball off the bat of Cubs pitcher Ted Lilly struck him in the head.

On Friday, the boy was in serious condition. Children's Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Julie Pesch says the boy regained consciousness on Friday and doctors said he was steadily improving throughout the day.

The game was the first major league game the boy had ever attended.

-foxsports.com

dcannon456
07-12-2008, 12:30 PM
HANK STEINBRENNER WUZ RITE. PICHERZ SHUDNT HIT. BOYZ SKULLZ GET BROKED.

but seriously that sucks. if i was ted lilly and the boy had passed i dont think id be able to continue my baseball career. although i still wonder why ted lilly plays baseball in the first place ;)

yboord028
07-12-2008, 12:31 PM
It is sad, But hey its the assumed risk you take when you go to baseball games.

redwhitenblue
07-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Are we going to have threads everytime someone gets injured at a baseball game?

We never used to, which is why dumb people think it happens more now than it used to

Aapox
07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
This is a pretty sad story...I'm very glad he's going to be OK, but with that said:

Don't bring someone young or elderly to a game and not be ready to protect them...especially if you're going to sit down one of the lines.

rwp86
07-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Are we going to have threads everytime someone gets injured at a baseball game?

We never used to, which is why dumb people think it happens more now than it used to

you'd be surprised how many people get slapped by a ball every year, but I don't think I have to explain how rare it is for a kid to face death after one. I was at that cubs game, i'm actually running extremely late for the one today, but the horror going on at the game when we saw this ball slam into this kid, it wasn't an everyday foul ball, you couldn't have nailed this kid with a ball more perfectly, thank god he's alright, because not many of us would have been able to stand if we were hit the same way.

Aapox
07-12-2008, 01:48 PM
You're going to today's game and you wasted your time posting about this?

WTF?!

Lol

Ragun
07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Really saddening...I hope the kid gets back to 100%

redwhitenblue
07-12-2008, 02:21 PM
you'd be surprised how many people get slapped by a ball every year, but I don't think I have to explain how rare it is for a kid to face death after one. I was at that cubs game, i'm actually running extremely late for the one today, but the horror going on at the game when we saw this ball slam into this kid, it wasn't an everyday foul ball, you couldn't have nailed this kid with a ball more perfectly, thank god he's alright, because not many of us would have been able to stand if we were hit the same way.
I saw 2-3 kids get hit in the head per week in minor league games

rriders9
07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
i feel bad for the kid and its a bad thing but it even says on the back of tickets that you face this risk at a ball game and **** happens

Tragedy
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I saw 2-3 kids get hit in the head per week in minor league games
How many of them fractured their skulls?

redwhitenblue
07-12-2008, 05:15 PM
How many of them fractured their skulls?
Dunno, I didn't follow them to the hospital

I know one I saw in person destroyed his eye socket

Not a mention in any paper-anywhere

Tragedy
07-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Dunno, I didn't follow them to the hospital

I know one I saw in person destroyed his eye socket

Not a mention in any paper-anywhere
MLB > Minors, though.

L-MiLLZ44
07-12-2008, 07:57 PM
where are the ****ing parents, u got to shield your ****ing kid!!!

Tragedy
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
where are the ****ing parents, u got to shield your ****ing kid!!!
Seriously? Those baseball are flying pretty damn fast...

L-MiLLZ44
07-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Seriously? Those baseball are flying pretty damn fast...

i was just playing, but on another note, hope for the kid to get better

jetsfan89
07-12-2008, 10:55 PM
hope for the kid to get better.

parents two things:

1. bring your glove to the game dammit

2. DEFEND YOUR KIDS dammit

sharksfan19
07-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I feel sorry for the kid.... I wish him the best of luck in the future.

OHMYLORD
07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
hope for the kid to get better.

parents two things:

1. bring your glove to the game dammit

2. DEFEND YOUR KIDS dammit

when a ball 90 mph ball jumps off the bat at an even higher speed a glove wont help if your in that first row, and how can the parents reaction time defend the kid?

jetsfan89
07-12-2008, 11:32 PM
when a ball 90 mph ball jumps off the bat at an even higher speed a glove wont help if your in that first row, and how can the parents reaction time defend the kid?

i mean the parents are supposed to make sure the kid is in a position where the risk of danger is small. and the glove thing was just for anywhere beyond the first row.

OHMYLORD
07-12-2008, 11:36 PM
i mean the parents are supposed to make sure the kid is in a position where the risk of danger is small. and the glove thing was just for anywhere beyond the first row.

I agree that he shouldn't be sitting that close to the game at that young.

Honestly if i was that young i'd take the risk though.

Another thing to note, the parents potentially could of protected the kid, but unless you know the next ball is going go right at your kid you can't really have that reactoin time. You don't expect that to happen. You know he couldve had his head turned for just 1/50th of a second. And even if he was paying attention.. unless you know for a fact its about to come right at you on the next pitch its hard to prepare for it and it makes it VERY dangerous for anyone sitting in those rows.

jetsfan89
07-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I agree that he shouldn't be sitting that close to the game at that young.

Honestly if i was that young i'd take the risk though.

Another thing to note, the parents potentially could of protected the kid, but unless you know the next ball is going go right at your kid you can't really have that reactoin time. You don't expect that to happen. You know he couldve had his head turned for just 1/50th of a second. And even if he was paying attention.. unless you know for a fact its about to come right at you on the next pitch its hard to prepare for it and it makes it VERY dangerous for anyone sitting in those rows.

its the first row dude you have to keep it in your head that this stuff is gonna happen and keep a lookout especially w/kids. the reaction time is slow but it can be helped if you know it could come.

cwilson21
07-12-2008, 11:46 PM
That's very sad to hear but what were his parents doing?

redwhitenblue
07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
its the first row dude you have to keep it in your head that this stuff is gonna happen and keep a lookout especially w/kids. the reaction time is slow but it can be helped if you know it could come.
From the video I've seen, there's no way that kid got hit directly from the check swing in the front row, he had to be quite a few back

chicagowhitesox
07-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Wrigley is unsafe! People are constantly getting hit with balls or by falling concrete! No one go.

redwhitenblue
07-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Wrigley is unsafe! People are constantly getting hit with balls or by falling concrete! No one go.
Better a baseball than a bullet.

cubsfan2206
07-13-2008, 12:08 AM
^haha, aint that the truth

Gigantes4Life
07-13-2008, 12:11 AM
:ouch: