PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Battier, DeKe and Novak

Renovator
07-12-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5882270.html

The Rockets shot just 34 percent from beyond the arc last season. Only one player, Steve Novak, shot better than Barry, and he's a defensive liability. He'll probably be traded as Morey trims his roster before the start of training camp.

At the moment, Adelman's eight-man rotation seems likely to have Yao, McGrady, Scola, Shane Battier, and Rafer Alston back in the starting lineup and Barry, Landry and Aaron Brooks as the top contributors off the bench.

Is he Mr. Right?
About the only dramatic change could be if Morey gets an offer for Battier he can't refuse. No other Rocket is close in terms of being coveted by other teams.

It gets interesting after that. Morey has gotten nowhere in negotiating a new deal with Dikembe Mutombo and seems comfortable going without a bona fide backup center.

Adelman was happy with Scola, Landry and Chuck Hayes rotating in the post last season. The Rockets believe rookie Joey Dorsey will contribute in the low post as well.

Those are all nice discussions for another day. If Barry does the things he has done for most of his career, he'll be an important addition.

Morey signed him to a two-year contract, but he's not thinking nearly that far down the road. The window is closing on the Yao-McGrady era.

So far they've failed to deliver on the optimism of that day four years ago when they first stepped on the floor together.

Maybe this is the season they both stay healthy, and maybe this is the season they finally play deep into the playoffs.

Battier turned out to be a more important addition than almost anyone thought. Scola and Landry were pleasant surprises. Maybe Barry will be the right guy at the right time.

Battier and Novak might be traded???

DeKe not signing with us?

Renovator
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Another article

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5882274.html

The Rockets will use their "biannual exception" to sign Barry, keeping their full mid-level exception to match any offer up to that amount (starting at $5.585 million for the 2008-09 season) that restricted free agent Carl Landry receives.

The Rockets also could sign Dikembe Mutombo, but will offer only a minimum. Mutombo said last month he was ready to consider playing another season.

Landry and possibly Mutombo could take much longer than Barry to sign. But after nearly five months spent pursuing Barry, the Rockets have grown accustomed to waiting.

"We were able to get our No. 1 target," Morey said. "It doesn't always work like that."

What the hell is going on with Mutumbo? Why havent we signed him already?

I can understand Landry, but what the hell is taking them this long to sign DeKe.

All the good work by signing Barry could be undone if DeKe and Landry (given that he is healthy) slips.

These two artcles are really worrying me. Battier being traded, come on?

mightybosstone
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't see them moving Battier unless they move him and some additional pieces to acquire an upgrade at the SF position, so you shouldn't be that worried.

SC1211
07-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Good God, stop making quick assumptions. The first "article" was just a blog by Richard Justice. He just said Battier "could" be traded if the right offer came along. He also said Battier wasn't on the block, and the Rockets aren't intending to trade him.

Jay22Redd
07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Good God, stop making quick assumptions. The first "article" was just a blog by Richard Justice. He just said Battier "could" be traded if the right offer came along. He also said Battier wasn't on the block, and the Rockets aren't intending to trade him.

Yea, and I saw nothing about Novak

Rhyming Rebel
07-12-2008, 11:34 PM
We should trade them both anyway. Atleast trade Shane

HouRealCoach
07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Only way I would trade Battier is if we get Artest