PDA

View Full Version : The Heat Current Salary Situation

daleja424
07-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I have read and written a lot recently about the Heat trading Marion to the Warriors or Clippers just to clear cap space to go after a guy like Smith or Okafor... so I thought I would post this article to explain why this won't work.

ORLANDO - How taxing is it to rebuild from the NBA's cellar?

Heat President Pat Riley might soon find out.

Despite a goal of avoiding the NBA's luxury-tax threshold of $71.2 million in 2008-09 payroll, the Heat, just four days into the offseason signing period, already is at $68 million.

That figure includes the contracts of Joel Anthony, Marcus Banks, Michael Beasley, Mark Blount, Mario Chalmers, Daequan Cook, Udonis Haslem, James Jones, Stephane Lasme, Shawn Marion, Dwyane Wade and the qualifying offer in place to Dorell Wright, as well as the $1.7 million payoff to released guard Smush Parker.
That $68 million does not include the $1 million offers in place to Chris Quinn and Kasib Powell.

The figure could be reduced by as much as $3 million if Wright and Lasme are allowed to depart, but it essentially removes the possibility of utilizing either Ricky Davis or Jason Williams in sign-and-trade free-agent transactions, or having either return at more than a minimum salary.

As it is, should Alonzo Mourning return at anything above the veteran minimum, it would put the Heat hard against the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax even without utilizing its $1.9 million lower-level exception, its lone remaining salary-cap chip beyond trades.

Against that backdrop, Riley departed the Orlando Pro Summer League and headed back to work, aware that much more is needed for a revival from last season's 15-67 finish.

"We don't want to pay the tax," Riley said. "We don't want to be a tax team."

The Heat this past week not only was issued an $8.3 million tax bill for 2007-08, but also lost out on the $4 million rebate issued to non-taxpayers.

"Last year was the first time ever," Riley said of paying the tax. "We didn't like it."

Now it seems creative accounting is the preference, turning what already is on the books into something more tangible on the floor through the trade market.

"There is a possibility some money might go out," Riley said. "We're not done at all. We're talking every day. We'd like to fortify our point guard position and we'd like to get a [center]."

Yet that search for a point guard and center will not be made out of desperation, nothing like last October's trade for Ricky Davis that left the Heat without a 2009 first-round pick but with Blount's contract.

"Last year's team, and the trade for Ricky, we thought we were a good team," Riley said. "We thought we were going to be in the playoffs."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-flspheat12sbjul12,0,2998950.story

The importance of this salary figure is that even if we dropped Marion's entire contract off on another team we would still only go 7 million under the cap, and if we didn't hold onto Wright, that could be as much as 10 million. But 10 million isn't enough money to guarentee that another team won't match our offers to RFA's... so we could potentially be trading marion for nothing if we were to do this.

For this reason the Heat need to make moves to either get better NOW, or create some cap space for 2010, when Blount and Haslem come off the books too...

Deals that could work under these parameters could be:
-Mobely/Thomas/Thornton for Marion/Banks...
-Harrington/Biedrins for Marion/Banks/Cook...

...gat anything else that could work with these things in mind???

noturnormalhero
07-12-2008, 10:39 AM
i wouldnt want to give up Cook unless we do the Jwill trade for Reddick. Would want more shooters than just James Jones coming off the bench. The GS one gives us our center and a backup PF so haslem/harrington and biedrins/anthony/zo ..not too bad.

Maybe a marion/banks for delonte west,varejeo,1st round? west's contract i believe ends this year and varejeo plays solid D but is obviously a dud on the offense side but gives us a nice player coming off the bench. they'd prolly have to dump a bad contract on us to make it work since i think that trade str8 up would put them over the cap. ah..dunno. not many teams under the cap and not many situations for marion that seem amusing

fins08
07-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Marion for Aretst type deal would work, but the numebrs would have to add up.

daleja424
07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Marion for Aretst type deal would work, but the numebrs would have to add up.

Ya. I actually like Miller/Artest for Marion/Banks...

1) We get a starting center....
2) Artest can do all the things marion can + create offense
3) Neither contract extends beyond 2010

_Supreme_
07-12-2008, 11:23 AM
$68M is an awfull lot for the roster we have, and when you look at all the individual salaries they aren't even that crazy.

daleja424
07-12-2008, 11:26 AM
$68M is an awfull lot for the roster we have, and when you look at all the individual salaries they aren't even that crazy.

well Wade and marion make half of our cap (34 mil)
Haslem/Blount/Banks/Parker make up half of the remaining cap on bad contracts (almost 20 mil)
Jones/Wright are value contracts for 7 mil
and the rest of the team is minimum fillers...

_Supreme_
07-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Haslem/Blount/Banks/Parker make up half of the remaining cap on bad contracts (almost 20 mil)

We need to get rid of some garbage contracts, like the money we still owe to Smush (although he is expiring for us too after this year), someone like Alexander Johnson and either Blount or Banks.

Also I'm not sure if we need both Lasme and Powell, but I guess it depends on whether or not Haslem gets traded.

bballplayer8432
07-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Do the bobcats have cap space to do a marion for felton and a first round pick type of trade?

daleja424
07-12-2008, 11:49 AM
yes and no.

technically they do have cap space to do this if they cut ties with okafor...

but really it is not likely that they will cut ties with Okafor for nothing in return so they probably won't have cap space...

twissst89
07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Marion for Josh Smith and Speedy Claxton is my favorite. I wud include draft picks if thats wut had to get it done. I really believe that team wud at least get to the confernce finals next year. Besides that i like the trade that brings us in Al Thorton.

noturnormalhero
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Marion's big thing is the contract. The artest/miller marion/banks is somewhat ok with me but their a chance artest walks even though miller would be a major upgrade for us in the Center position. all that really does is get us a center cuz you could go back and forth comparing Marion and artest and what they would bring to the table, and it's almost even (they both are better at different things). If they are trying so hard to get rid of Artest then offer something simple. Give them Haslem/Cook and a 2nd or 1st round. If they are that desperate to let him go, they'll take some young talent and a draft pick. Depending how desperate they are of course. then to get rid of more cap,trade Marion for kaman and thorton or some ish. man i dunno. i have a headache from all these possibilities. just woke up from a nap and i'm already thinkin of all this lol. i still say there is a higher chance marion goes in the middle of the year to a team contending. and for now we're going to go with chalmers/banks/quinn and anthony/blount/zo. in the middle of a year, teams that are contending will want the likes of Marion and might even be reluctant enough to give away a good young talent. Like i'd take Brandon Wright from GS over cook.

JackSplack
07-12-2008, 01:38 PM

I'm sorry, did you just lump Haslems contract as a "bad" contract. The dude took less money to be here and has performed pretty damn well for us during his tenure. He is a "value" contract. You are aware he took less money to be here aren't you?
But then again, if i recall corretly you felt ricky davis was a value contract for us, so perhaps we have different definitions of value.

daleja424
07-12-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry, did you just lump Haslems contract as a "bad" contract. The dude took less money to be here and has performed pretty damn well for us during his tenure. He is a "value" contract. You are aware he took less money to be here aren't you?
But then again, if i recall corretly you felt ricky davis was a value contract for us, so perhaps we have different definitions of value.

Its a bad contract b/c he is now a bench player for us and is still making 7 mil a year for the next two. That is money that could/should be spent on a starting center...but its tied up on a bench PF. I didnt say I didn't like Haslem, b/c I do...but his contract IS holding us up...

and if Ricky Davis signed for the vet min it would be VERY VALUABLE. To get a career 15 ppg scorer who can play really good defense at the vet min would be an amazing value...especially for a cap strapped team

greek miami hea
07-12-2008, 04:14 PM
so many possibilities/......

Mambo Kings
07-12-2008, 04:28 PM
That figure includes the contracts of Joel Anthony, Marcus Banks, Michael Beasley, Mark Blount, Mario Chalmers, Daequan Cook, Udonis Haslem, James Jones, Stephane Lasme, Shawn Marion, Dwyane Wade and the qualifying offer in place to Dorell Wright, as well as the $1.7 million payoff to released guard Smush Parker.
That $68 million does not include the $1 million offers in place to Chris Quinn and Kasib Powell.

Is it any wonder we were last in the NBA? A team like the Celtics has on its bench proven veterans like P.J. Brown, Eddie House, James Posey, and Sam Cassell. But whom do the Heat choose to pay big money to? D-league bums. Great going, Pat. I can't wait for your contract to expire as our President.

Pran Raznor
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
-Mobely/Thomas/Thornton for Marion/Banks... Clippers are not going to get rid of Thornton, he's part of thier young core

-Harrington/Biedrins for Marion/Banks/Cook...GS is keeping Biedrins (and Ellis)

-Josh Smith and Speedy Claxton...maybe because Atlanta may not be willing to match J Smith's contract and they would want somebody that can slip in and take his spot and not be tied up in a big contract for a lengthy amount of time, also they could rid themselve's of Speedy's contract