PDA

View Full Version : charley rosen - Artest to Lakers? Crazy enough to work

IndyFan
07-12-2008, 08:08 AM
charley rosen was a CBA coaching buddy of phil jackson. he now writes for fox sports. he makes a couple of interesting points. boldface is mine.

The grapevine is vibrating with rumors that the Lakers are trying to pry Ron Artest loose from the Kings. According to reports, the Lakers are offering Lamar Odom, and the Kings just might be interested if L.A. also accepts Kenny Thomas and the $18M that is still owed to him.

While it's hard to imagine that the brothers Maloof would barter players with their hated rivals in Tinsel Town, the fact remains that Artest's recent second-guessing of himself for re-upping with the Kings has created a sense of desperation in Sacramento.

In any event, even the prospect of Ron-Ron playing alongside Kobe Bryant is incredibly intriguing. So much so that the Lakers coaching staff was eager to trade for Artest back in 2006, when the Pacers offered him around the league. At that time, Jimmy Buss convinced his father that Artest was too emotionally unstable even for Hollywood and Artest was eventually sent to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic.

If the current rumors prove to be true, here's what the Lakers can expect from Artest:

*When he's on his feet, Artest is an absolutely fearless lock-down defender, plus he's adept at ripping wayward handles and at poaching the passing lanes. It's no secret that his aggressive, intimidating defense against small forwards and power forwards, as well as many shooting guards, is precisely what the Lakers need to win the very last game of the season.

*An excellent 3-point shooter 38 percent last season Artest can also create off the bounce by driving either way with equal success and equal intensity. If he'd rather cross over left-to-right, he can spin, pull, and shoot heading in the opposite direction just as effectively.

*A powerful and resourceful scorer in the low post.

*A better offensive than defensive rebounder.

*A willing and semi-accurate passer who tends to make poor decisions with the ball.

L*ike Kobe, Artest has sticky fingers and wants every offensive sequence to run through him. Like Kobe, Artest will also force his share of shots but not make as many as Bryant.

In addition to his on-court skills and shortcomings, Artest's street mentality has been the one overriding reason why various teams have been reluctant to have him wear their colors. And given Phil Jackson's system of institutionalized unselfishness, the dominant talents, and ego-power of Kobe, not to mention the lure of the Hollywood nightlife, Jimmy Buss' reservations would seem to be well-founded.

However, given that Artest's competitive edge is still razor sharp and that he's never played in a championship series it's an (almost) safe bet that he will indeed be amenable to sacrificing his real (and imagined) talents and become an earnest triangulator. That is, as long as he winds up with enough shots (14 to 18) per game to maintain his interest.

Also, Artest is sufficiently street-wise to understand that he must play Robin to Kobe's Batman. The best Artest can hope for is that he eventually proves himself to be so reliable that his number will occasionally come up when defenses gang up on Kobe in clutch situations. This challenge alone will motivate Artest.

After two-plus drama-filled seasons in the Second City, and after laboring for more than six seasons in relative backwaters like Indianapolis [ouch :faint::laugh2:] and Sacramento, Artest would certainly take full advantage of the extracurricular activities that L.A. has to offer. But as he approaches his 29th birthday, it should be (almost) assumed that Artest would keep his partying both private and under control.

A deciding factor that Jimmy Buss might have overlooked, however, is Phil Jackson's ability to relate to his players. In fact, the only players who managed to resist Jackson's charisma/arguments/cajolings/pleas were Toni Kukoc, Glen Rice ... and Kobe Bryant. Kobe, of course, always parrots the company line but frequently loses his balance and falls from the sky.

But here's the real litmus test of whether or not Jackson can bring Artest into the fold: Is Artest any more emotionally unstable than Dennis Rodman?

Obviously not. Indeed, is there anybody unencumbered by rubber rooms or prison walls who is?

So, then, factoring in all the knowns and all the guesses, the Lakers bringing in Artest certainly involves their taking considerable risks. But if dethroning the Celtics is the organization's uppermost motivation, then it's a gamble well worth taking.

In truth, it's a gamble they absolutely must take.

fox sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8333122/Artest-to-Lakers?-Crazy-enough-to-work)

:)

LakerzDQ
07-12-2008, 08:21 AM
just imagine... our big 4.

Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

it can't get any better than that.

Iceman_9
07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
:pray: Please get Artest..

LAKERMANIA
07-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Although he has a terrible contract, i would love to have Kenny Thomas.. Here would be our overpaid Turiaf replacement but better.. I believe there is 2 years left on Thomas' contract, but even so he is a good post defender and he would be a good addition..

Storch
07-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Our defense will be insane if we get artest.

pg- fish
sg- kb
sf - ron
pf - pau
c - drew

Make it happen mitch. :pray: oh and i also want mikki moore =] spoil us mitch!

I swear if you pull off another steal im gona pay for surgery to fix ur voicebox.

Kobe and Ron are lock down defenders. PAu can defend many powerforwards in the league, not to mention he kept kg in his lowest fg% in the series agenst the lakers compared to all the other series. drew is our defensive anchor down low. Fisher did a great job on dwill, parker, and iverson in the playoffs series. He had sooo many steals in the playoffs! it was insane! He also has a great ability to stay infront of the faster pointguards. The lakers are going to be tough, our weakest starter is a 7 foot spaniard. wtf?! :laugh: =] Amazing defense... Im sure that the lakers would be a greater defensive threat than the celtics if we get ron ron. Also, the defensive strategy the celtics had wouldnt be effective anymore because if they clog the paint, kb ron and fish can all hit the 3 consistently. bye bye celtics.

Lucky_13
07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Although he has a terrible contract, i would love to have Kenny Thomas.. Here would be our overpaid Turiaf replacement but better.. I believe there is 2 years left on Thomas' contract, but even so he is a good post defender and he would be a good addition..

Yep. I feel the same way.

If we let Turiaf walk, his replacement would come in the form of this trade.

RaidLakeDodgers
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Sounds good ,where do I sign?:)

G-Funk
07-13-2008, 02:22 AM

Kenny Thomas would be so reguvinated

Lakersfan2483
07-13-2008, 02:38 AM
If Phil can work his magic with Ron, we can be back in the finals next year barring anything drastic happening, we have the team to compete for a title for the next 5 yrs.

Vidball
07-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Kinda like Ric Bucher is for Kobe, Rosen is PJ's tool. I have no doubt this article is based on what PJ told Rosen.

G-Funk
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Kinda like Ric Bucher is for Kobe, Rosen is PJ's tool. I have no doubt this article is based on what PJ told Rosen.

I can believe that.

Vidball
07-15-2008, 01:11 AM
^^It's true. They've even written a couple of books together. Rosen has been Phil's mouthpiece for a while.

lakersincebirth
07-15-2008, 01:36 AM
why is everyone on panic mode? we reached the finals with odom and without bynum. now that we have bynum back, i think we should all just wait and see. i'm so excited to see bynum back and our boys playing their natural positions.