PDA

View Full Version : Sell or keep Sam Fuld game used autog bat?

dmb
07-12-2008, 01:35 AM
So I happen to get this very same bat signed by Sam Fuld at the Wed night Smokies game, he even hit a homer off it, bat ended up getting a crack so he signed it and gave it to me.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/45/457502.jpg

I know he's not a big name player yet, but with him already playing in the major league level last season do you think it's worth holding onto or see if I can get something for it now?

CubsGirl
07-12-2008, 01:36 AM
You're going to get like... $0. You would make more money burning it and selling the ashes to a hobo.

FC_4_life
07-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Depends, how much would you want in return? Its really risky either way, because if you sell now and he becomes an MLB starter, then you could've gotten more. But if he becomes a bust, then you're mad cuz you coulda gotten more.

Since you got it in person and you saw him hit a homer with it, it has sentimental value, and I think you should keep it.

dmb
07-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Depends, how much would you want in return? Its really risky either way, because if you sell now and he becomes an MLB starter, then you could've gotten more. But if he becomes a bust, then you're mad cuz you coulda gotten more.

Since you got it in person and you saw him hit a homer with it, it has sentimental value, and I think you should keep it.
true true, but I do have a Soto, Soriano, and Zambrano signed bats so I'm good on that...just looking for your guys views on it

crane888
07-12-2008, 01:45 AM
if you want to give it away i'll take it. lol

mattz1212
07-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Sell it now and you could probably get a solid $15-$22 for it, but I'd advise you... SELL IT NOW! if you plan on selling it at all. I'd go into deep details but to keep it short I don't see much coming out of the career of Sam Fuld.

Bearscubs4life
07-12-2008, 01:54 AM
You're going to get like... $0. You would make more money burning it and selling the ashes to a hobo.

:laugh: WOW

dmb
07-12-2008, 01:55 AM
actually someone already offered me $80 for it for the fact that it was game used...maybe I should hold on to it

brewersfan729
07-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Its really risky either way, because if you sell now and he becomes an MLB starter

He won't have to worry about that. He's going to be 27 in November and has a .242/.338/.354/.692 line between AAA and AA.

Aapox
07-12-2008, 01:59 AM
I'd go into deep details but to keep it short I don't see much coming out of the career of Sam Fuld.

I agree, but I think you should keep it if it is made out of maple. The fact that it's a game used bat definitely makes it have value I'd say

CubsGirl
07-12-2008, 02:00 AM
actually someone already offered me $80 for it for the fact that it was game used...maybe I should hold on to it
You should've sold it then. I'm AMAZED you were offered that much.

Seriously, he's never going to be an ML player.

dmb
07-12-2008, 02:07 AM
You should've sold it then. I'm AMAZED you were offered that much.

Seriously, he's never going to be an ML player.

I dunno, I'm a sports journalist here in East Tennessee and I watch a lot of Smokies games (like I used to watch Cubs game back home) and from all their prospects, Doug Deeds, Tyler Colvin, and Sam Fuld are the most promising, Chad Fox is their only right handed slugger and we definitely don't need another catcher right now, but it has been stated that if Felix Pie does not produce they will be sending one of these three to AAA and then to the MLB.

Which is also why Chad Fox has been moved to the infield in order to start building up a new infield for when the Ramirez-Lee pass on and move on to the Hoffpauir, Theriot, Fontentot, and whoever gets the 3B spot.

I wouldn't go too far until you have seen them play, right now the Smokies are First in the southern league and mostly due to Fuld being at the lead off spot and often gets on base, and that is what the Cubs need in the future.

Buckwheat
07-12-2008, 02:14 AM
80 bucks is more than you'll get in 2 years when he isn't on a team.. Not impressed at all.. Too much lack of offense.. I would love to see him turn out, being a Cubs fan, but..

PunkShizzle
07-12-2008, 02:31 AM
I dunno, I'm a sports journalist here in East Tennessee and I watch a lot of Smokies games (like I used to watch Cubs game back home) and from all their prospects, Doug Deeds, Tyler Colvin, and Sam Fuld are the most promising, Chad Fox is their only right handed slugger and we definitely don't need another catcher right now, but it has been stated that if Felix Pie does not produce they will be sending one of these three to AAA and then to the MLB.

Which is also why Chad Fox has been moved to the infield in order to start building up a new infield for when the Ramirez-Lee pass on and move on to the Hoffpauir, Theriot, Fontentot, and whoever gets the 3B spot.

I wouldn't go too far until you have seen them play, right now the Smokies are First in the southern league and mostly due to Fuld being at the lead off spot and often gets on base, and that is what the Cubs need in the future.

Jake Fox you mean? Chad Fox is a pitcher. A very old one at that.

And not to be nit-picky, but I truly doubt Hoffpauir is the intended replacement at 1B. The guys already like 28. As for 3B, I'm guessing the organization is hoping for that Vitters guy to work out.

mattz1212
07-12-2008, 02:35 AM

Are you freaking serious? I would have sold it on point, I had a guy tell me I couldn't crack $100 for my Granderson, Braun, or Morneau bat. Fuld has no future, if you want to keep it for sentimental value then I don't suggest selling it, but I highly doubt it will go up in book value.

dmb
07-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Jake Fox you mean? Chad Fox is a pitcher. A very old one at that.

And not to be nit-picky, but I truly doubt Hoffpauir is the intended replacement at 1B. The guys already like 28. As for 3B, I'm guessing the organization is hoping for that Vitters guy to work out.
Derrek Lee is 33, a whole 5 years, Jim Edmonds is 38 and still plays like an everyday starter should...28 isn't old in the MLB

May as well start thinking of getting rid of Zambrano, he's starting to get very old at 27

as far as Fuld never making it to the MLB, only time can tell, he was demoted from the AAA to the AA for stuggling ABs, but sometimes the AAA is more competitive than any other class.

dmb
04-12-2011, 12:28 AM
update:

I was offered $320 and $440 for the bat. Kinda glad I didn't listen to you guys back then lol.

Jeffy25
04-12-2011, 12:40 AM
That's cool, Fuld is going to be a very productive player, but you will never get much for it, it's not like he is going to become a hall of famer.

I would keep it as a memento and frame it

I'll buy it if you don't want it lol

:wow: just realized how old this thread was lol

dmb
04-12-2011, 01:01 AM
ya it's an old thread, just wanted to prove some people wrong that the bat was worth more than 20 bucks. If you want to make an offer let me know !

Jeffy25
04-12-2011, 01:03 AM
ya it's an old thread, just wanted to prove some people wrong that the bat was worth more than 20 bucks. If you want to make an offer let me know !

lol, I was talking like 30 bucks because I thought no one wanted it lol.

bringbackfredex
04-12-2011, 01:20 AM
update:

I was offered $320 and $440 for the bat. Kinda glad I didn't listen to you guys back then lol.

Yeah either:

A. You're lying just to make yourself sound right.

or

B. The guy that wanted to buy the bat has down syndrome.

Lets see some documentation on that offer lol.

dmb
04-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Haters are going to hate.

I found out the person who wants to buy it knew him in Stanford and wants to keep it behind a glass display in his office.

KingPosey
04-12-2011, 04:22 AM
how much do you like him?

How desperate are you for money?

You arent going to get much for it, I think the value of keeping it beats the 200 bucks you could HOPE to get from it.

If someone on the Giants hit a homerun, and then gave me the bat and signed it, I would cherish it. I also think its cool that it was cracked.

yfern328
04-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Sam Fuld went to my high school. He's the man. Sadly he won't really be known for his bat although his defense might keep him in the league for a few years as a 4th or 5th OF. He already has some webgems on his pedigree. Again, he's no stud, but it's always nice to see a guy who came from the same place as you succeed--even in the slightest of ways. I was rooting for him hard the other night when he was going for the cycle.

TO to the CHI
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM

I found out the person who wants to buy it knew him in Stanford and wants to keep it behind a glass display in his office.

It's kind of sad that you held onto both the bat and your feelings of inadequacy from this thread fir all that time. If someone wants to pay you over $100 for it, you should take it immediately. Seriously. Immediately. It is worth more to you (or to the Fuld family) than it is to anyone else. Nothing against Fuld, but the offers statedvabove are either blatant lies (this is my guess) or were made by someone who has no idea of what the market is for such products. You can buy game used Cubs jerseys for less than that.

Also, it is ridiculous that you were unable to understand that a 28 year old minor leaguer is old as a minor leaguer, regardless of how much longer his career might be.

OneTuzSea
04-12-2011, 08:09 AM
If you're a Rays fan I'd keep it, sell it otherwise.

mttwlsn16
04-12-2011, 08:25 AM
id keep it, its cool to have

mttwlsn16
04-12-2011, 08:27 AM
update:

posted before i read this, for that much id absolutely sell it

Ron!n
04-12-2011, 09:55 AM
You had better sell it lol.

bringbackfredex
04-12-2011, 10:39 AM

It's not hating, it's just calling out someones ********.

And if this guy does exist and actually wants to pay you that much for a scrub's bat, then he is a complete fool. Tell him I play D3 college baseball, I'll sign one of my game used bats for him and it's just as valuable as Fuld's.

RTL
04-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Depends on if you need the money or not. I personally wouldn't sell it because I have never gotten anything as cool as that. I once got a Kirt Manwaring batting glove after BP but that was it. Never have gotten a foul ball, bat or anything else.

Fred
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
#1. SERIOUS thread bump...holy ****
#2. If you were offered $320 or $440 for it, then color yourself a fool to not take it
#3. I doubt that anyone seriously offered that much for a used bat from this scrub....a Pujols bat isn't worth that....

haggis
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Holy Thread Bump Batman!

Sell it for that price without a doubt.

TO to the CHI
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
#1. SERIOUS thread bump...holy ****
#2. If you were offered $320 or $440 for it, then color yourself a fool to not take it
#3. I doubt that anyone seriously offered that much for a used bat from this scrub....a Pujols bat isn't worth that....

I agree on everything you posted, except the part about Pujols. A Pujols game used, signed bat, would be worth well over $400.

Otherwise you are spot on.

BECKHAM>>>>ROY
04-12-2011, 01:49 PM
take the money and run. sports memorabilia is tanking just like our economy. i would value that bat at around $75. which means it would sell on ebay for $40 to $50 if your lucky!

koldjerky
04-12-2011, 02:01 PM
This is the most epic thread bump of all time.

Joemoes
04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
One time I was cleaning out an old house for work and told to trash everything and found an orioles ball. At least 20 players on it. Brooks Robinson Jim Palmer and another hof I can't make out. Cal Ripken is missing I was told if I get him on it ball will be worth about $600 prolly $300 now I wish I could make out all the names maybe I can post pictures and you Guys could help. I'm not selling cuz it's a coolconversation piece.

Ron!n
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
One time I was cleaning out an old house for work and told to trash everything and found an orioles ball. At least 20 players on it. Brooks Robinson Jim Palmer and another hof I can't make out. Cal Ripken is missing I was told if I get him on it ball will be worth about $600 prolly $300 now I wish I could make out all the names maybe I can post pictures and you Guys could help. I'm not selling cuz it's a coolconversation piece.
Yeah I'd definitely try and get Ripken to sign it. Would immensely increase its value like you said.

Jeffy25
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
This reminds me of a similar story I had.

Scott Cooper played in the early 90's, mainly with the Red Sox, and he grew up with my cousin. My cousin got me a game used baseball bat of his when he was still playing.

As a kid, I never considered selling it, obviously, and my mom and dad put it in a nice case for me, and I still have it.

Now I am building a nice little basement full of memorabilia, mainly stuff I got from my other cousin (Tom Henke) and just random stuff either personally important to me, or popular in general (like Stan Musial and Ozzie Smith type things). I never would have considered selling it, but even as an adult, regardless if Cooper had turned into a hall of famer, or flamed out into a hard to remember baseball player, the bat itself is just awesome to have. It's a great conversation anytime someone comes over. I can tell you exactly what all he did with the bat when he used it to. It's just awesome.

Personally, I think Fuld should have an awesome career, and I personally would love to have that bat, just because it would be so cool to have and case it into my man-cave.

Jeffy25
04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah I'd definitely try and get Ripken to sign it. Would immensely increase its value like you said.

and knowing Ripken, he would sign it, in a heart-beat.

Hell, I would almost trust to just mail him the bat lol.

Ripken is just that kind of guy that would sign without thought.

It wouldn't help it's value though if the bat was authentic to an era or something specifically (like all the players signed it before Rip was with them).

Awesome find!

sexicano31
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Ball Jeffy, ball

Jeffy25
04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
oh lol, yes, ball

S.P.
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Get his glove. That catch he made against Juan Pierre was one of the best I've ever seen.

mattz1212
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Can you really blame us for the stupidity of the offeror? I admit I undervalued it, but still even at the $80 you were getting a hell of an offer.

I'll kind of put this into perspective, the following auctions got listed on ebay:

Pudge Rodriguez Autoed Game Used Bat $82.00
Ian Stewart Game Used Bat Autoed $20.00 (Got no bids)
Johnny Damon Game Used Bat Autoed $63.00
Fred McGriff Game Used Bat Autoed $50.00

Big Name Players were be listed between $150-$250 and most didn't get any bids. Also yours was used in a minor league game, which lowers the value as well as the fact that is it uncertified. I say dry the sucker out, he's basically paying all-star player worth for a minor league bat of Sam Fuld.

Jetsguy
04-12-2011, 05:09 PM
A thread as awesome is this I feel I need to post.

1. Who is Sam Fuld
2. Those that said he wouldnt be anything in 2008 were right
3. No way you were offered $440, seriously no way

Other than that awesome thread:clap:

Jeffy25
04-12-2011, 05:16 PM
A thread as awesome is this I feel I need to post.

1. Who is Sam Fuld
2. Those that said he wouldnt be anything in 2008 were right
3. No way you were offered $440, seriously no way

Other than that awesome thread:clap:

do you really not know? Or are you just being funny?

homie564
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM
my godfather found a mickey mantle painting autographed.. he needs to send it out to get researc done on it. .but someone told him it may be worth $100-$10,000.. is it even possible that a mickey mantle signed anything be worth that little money? lol

Jetsguy
04-13-2011, 02:50 PM
do you really not know? Or are you just being funny?

really did not know until I looked him up:hide:

DjD3990
04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110413&content_id=17749490&notebook_id=17749266&vkey=notebook_tb&c_id=tb

Jeffy25
04-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I love Sam Fuld

hgtiger32
04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
keep it and add it to the man cave

DjD3990
04-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I would keep it. I collect sports memorabilia and I would never sell any items that I personally received.