PDA

View Full Version : One guy's speculation: Lakers Might Be Close To Getting Artest.

kobe2008mvp
07-12-2008, 01:14 AM
http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2008/07/11/joe-maloof-interviewed-interested-in-dealing-with-lakers-likes-odo/
http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2008...ers-likes-odo/

dom a “great” player while referring to Artest as a “good” player.

Here are some key quotes from Joe, from the interview…

“Well you know they’ve called. They’ve called, and I think our GM Geoff has spoken to them (the Lakers) in the past regarding Ron. There a lot of teams that really have an interest in him.”

“Odom is a great player, Artest is a good player. That’s, that’s as much as I can say right now.”

“The Buss family does a great job. But, umm, if this, if this is gonna help us improve our team, and we think this will get us closer to a title, we will do a trade with any team. It doesn’t matter.”

You can check out some the trancscripts of the interview provided by SacTownRoyalty. Sound off!:clap:

Vidball
07-12-2008, 01:29 AM
^^Yeah, I don't know that too much info was spilled there, but he definitely kept the rumor alive...summer rumors rule!

Ragun
07-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Lakers would be dominant next year with that addition.

LakerzDQ
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
I wish there will be more action.

if we do get artest, it'll be pretty cool

Leftcoast_yg
07-12-2008, 02:11 AM
i hope we can give them walton and or rad with odom so they can throw in shareef he's a good defender that we will need if ronnie is gonna sign with GS which i dont think the lakers will match, i just hope we get sasha back

goku
07-12-2008, 02:23 AM
rumors rumors i dont believe till i see

Vegasguy80
07-12-2008, 02:50 AM
I really think the Lakers would have a worse record next year if they trade Odom for Artest. Artest will not play 70 games next season no matter where he goes!

It is a stupid trade and not worth it. Especially if we get stuck with Thomas. Wasting more money and getting no where. But lately that seems like what some of you fans want...

RocketsRule
07-12-2008, 03:20 AM
I really think the Lakers would have a worse record next year if they trade Odom for Artest. Artest will not play 70 games next season no matter where he goes!

It is a stupid trade and not worth it. Especially if we get stuck with Thomas. Wasting more money and getting no where. But lately that seems like what some of you fans want...

Obviously we don't share the same views. Artest is argueably the best perimeter defender in the game, something the Laker's deseperatly need after PP picked them apart. He also is a consistent 20 ppg 6 rpg player, so it's not like you'll be losing any offense. He may be a headache at times, but I believe Kobe will keep him straight, for they both want the same thing, a championship. They will easily get a better record with this trade.

And Thomas's cotract has only two years left, so it's not like he's going to be there forever.

BH-Sports
07-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Obviously we don't share the same views. Artest is argueably the best perimeter defender in the game, something the Laker's deseperatly need after PP picked them apart. He also is a consistent 20 ppg 6 rpg player, so it's not like you'll be losing any offense. He may be a headache at times, but I believe Kobe will keep him straight, for they both want the same thing, a championship. They will easily get a better record with this trade.

And Thomas's cotract has only two years left, so it's not like he's going to be there forever.

No doubt. What we lack is toughness. Toughness in rebound and pick and roll situations. We already have 2 7 feet monsters in Gasol and Bynum. If we can trade another 7 feet guy for a 6.8 more physical and of a better shooter, it is worth the deal. Artest is getting old and he has the eyes on the prise so hell hopefully change if he does become a laker. Lakers would then have the most physical and talented team of all nba.

C- Andrew Bynum
PF- Pau Gasol
SF- Ron Artest
SG- Kobe Bryant
PG- Derek Fisher/ Jordan Farmar

UD5soul
07-12-2008, 03:37 AM
"No doubt. What we lack is toughness"

now that's the truth. During the finals, it didn't matter if it was Perkins or a young inexperienced big, or a vet like pj brown. No matter the player, if they came physical the lakers were stuck like a deer in headlights.

We all saw that expression on Paul Gasol's face one to many times. and where was odum during all this? please, Artest is a HUGE upgrade over lamar odum on ANY team

AllTheWay
07-12-2008, 03:44 AM
Artest would be the toughness and Defense we need, but hes mental

I would kill him if he took time off to promote his new raggae album =D

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Thread title changed.

SI's announcement, in case people haven't checked the link:

NBA Forum Offseason Policy of 2008
As the NBA offseason continues to go along, I just wanted to go over a few things that need to be done in order for the quality of this forum to continue to best as best as it could possibly be.

1) Lately, it seems like there have been too many threads surrounding the same topic. If you call could be more careful before making a thread and looking to see whether or not the topic has been posted already or a similar topic has been posted, that’d be greatly appreciated. At the same time, it will save you time because if the same topic has been posted already, chances are that the thread will likely be closed or deleted.

2) There have been lots of threads that do not belong in the NBA forum, so from now on all threads that do not belong in the NBA forum will be moved to the respected team forum unless if it’s a big time NBA news. For example, threads like "Who should (Team X) sign?".

3) There have been way too many bashing threads on this forum. From now on, if a bashing thread is posted or a thread turns into a bashing thread, the thread will either be closed or deleted. If the thread turns into a bashing thread, the posts will be deleted, so it’s better if you don’t waste your time bashing players or teams. If this problem persists, you may even receive an infraction for disruptive behavior.

4) There have been users posting rumors from websites that may not be as reliable to use. Websites like Bleacher Report or Hoopsworld may not be the most reliable sources to use. Websites like Bleacher Report consists of guys like us writing about their own thoughts. I just want you all to keep in mind that the most websites to use for sources happen to be leading local newspapers like Denver Post, New York Post, Miami Herald, Atlanta Journal constitution and many more. So in the NBA forum, we will only be using the reliable sources. If there’s a thread with a story with sources that may not be as reliable, we’ll be sure to move it to the respected team forum.

As far as the baiting, insults and disruptive behavior goes, the same rules apply like it did before. We will not tolerate any of that stuff. It has gotten a lot better in that sense and we’d like to keep it that way.

I thank you all for your support and for posting on PSD. Please help us raise the quality of this site to make your experience on PSD more enjoyable.

JordansBulls
07-12-2008, 08:09 AM
I don't see how this means anything. This deal may not even be close to getting done and the Kings I doubt will ever help the Lakers after the 2002 series.

Knicks845
07-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Lakers would be dominant next year with that addition.

Yeah, they would dominant, it would be fisher,kove,rtest,pau,bynum. That looks like a 1 first team all defensive Team right there lol, it would be a good add, and rtest can shoot the 3 ball and play better defensive, the only thing odom got its ball handling.

king4day
07-12-2008, 08:29 AM
With a payroll of approximately $70 million that is nearing the league's luxury tax threshold of $71.15 million, the Kings officially ended their free-agent shopping. The last potential order of business is the future of Ron Artest, the small forward who certainly could be traded before training camp.

According to a league source, the Lakers already have contacted the Kings regarding Artest and are believed to be offering forward Lamar Odom. As of Tuesday evening, the Kings had not returned the call. They are expected to insist on forward Kenny Thomas and his $18 million of remaining salary (over two seasons) being included in that potential trade. Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie declined comment on whether the Lakers had called.

"Right now, (Artest is) just a terrific player to have on your roster," Petrie said. "I don't really have any speculation one way or another (about his future). We'll see what other things – not specific to Ron – but if there's some other way we can improve the team or change the team, we'll take a look at it."

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1072665.html

This is a couple days old, but apparently the sticking point is taking back Thomas' contract.
Be that the case, I'm not sure what the Lakers could offer to match his contract without the Kings taking back even worse contracts in Vlad and Luke. Maybe a trade exception and someone with only a couple years left too but at a lower price.

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 08:31 AM
This is a couple days old, but apparently the sticking point is taking back Thomas' contract.

That's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Denver has a better chance of moving K-Mart.

Chicago has a better chance of moving Hughes...

Okay, maybe not quite that bad considering Artest is in the package, but pretty damn close...

king4day
07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
That's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Denver has a better chance of moving K-Mart.

Chicago has a better chance of moving Hughes...

Okay, maybe not quite that bad considering Artest is in the package, but pretty damn close...

Kmart can at least help some teams. I've the slightest idea what Thomas can offer any team.

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Kmart can at least help some teams. I've the slightest idea what Thomas can offer any team.

A warm spot on a bench and a 2010 expiring? I think that's about it.

That's actually a pretty hard package for the Kings to sell, I think, because any team that wants "Artest now" is gonna be in "win now" mode since he'll go unrestricted next summer, but any team that wants an oh-ten expiring is probably gonna be pretty far from "win now" mode.

Vidball
07-12-2008, 09:19 AM
^^Shouldn't be that hard in the Lakers case...even with Thomas, the Lakers would have about the same $ going out this season, and next season Thomas becomes a valuable expiring that any team looking for 2010 cap space will go after. There are gonna be some lopsided trades for expirings in '09-'10.

Lakerfrk
07-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes, Kenny Thomas's contract sucks..... BUT, Kenny Thomas could very well be a good backup at the PF position.. He brings experience, and is pretty good. I think its a GREAT trade for LA... (especially if we can throw in Luke or Vlad...)

_Sn1P3r_
07-12-2008, 11:33 AM
No doubt. What we lack is toughness. Toughness in rebound and pick and roll situations. We already have 2 7 feet monsters in Gasol and Bynum. If we can trade another 7 feet guy for a 6.8 more physical and of a better shooter, it is worth the deal. Artest is getting old and he has the eyes on the prise so hell hopefully change if he does become a laker. Lakers would then have the most physical and talented team of all nba.

C- Andrew Bynum
PF- Pau Gasol
SF- Ron Artest
SG- Kobe Bryant
PG- Derek Fisher/ Jordan Farmar

That line-up is looking pretty good.

stevefrancis
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
the lakers have to give up farmar if they want artest. they want a young pg and thats all the lakers have. the same with houston the kings wanted aaron brookes in any trade with artest.

lakers4sho
07-12-2008, 12:24 PM
the lakers have to give up farmar if they want artest. they want a young pg and thats all the lakers have. the same with houston the kings wanted aaron brookes in any trade with artest.

Kings have Beno Udrih I don't see why they'll want Farmar. And the Lakers won't have any PG except for Fisher.

marques724
07-12-2008, 12:55 PM
This trades help both teams