PDA

View Full Version : Should I send it?

southerndodgerf
07-12-2008, 01:06 AM
I started working on a letter to McCourt a few days ago. You guys tell me what you think. Should I send it? What should I change? What do you like? Will he even read it or care?

Dear Mr. McCourt,

First, let me tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to a letter from a fan. Thus far, I have been very impressed with your willingness to listen and respond to those us who watch the game from the bleachers. I truly believe this attitude makes for a good owner and leader.

Sir, I understand that as owner you are in a precarious position. You are forced to garner information from a number of sources while the fans berate and question every decision made on that information. Your job is not an easy one. Mr. McCourt, I have been contemplating writing you for quite a while now. However, instead I took your advice from the offseason and decided to simply watch and wait. Yet, here I sit, at my computer, looking at the standings and the win/loss column still waiting for a change.

I do not claim to know everything there is to know about baseball. However, I am a devoted fan who considers himself pretty knowledgeable. I love the Dodgers. I love the organization, the history, and what that name represents. I truly believe that they are the most decorated, honored, and respected organization in baseball. I know that you too feel this way about our team.

Mr. McCourt I am from a small town in Louisiana. Due to the distance, I am one of those Dodger fans who has never had the privilege of seeing a Dodger game at Dodger Stadium. However, I make sure that every season I buy the MLB Extra Innings package, the Fox Sports package, MLB TV, and MLB Audio. I am that devoted to our Dodgers. Many years ago when each child chose “their” team, I chose the Dodgers. I will never be able to tell you what drew me to the Dodgers. I just knew that through thick and thin, they would be my team. They have. I relished in the win of 1988 as best a freshman in high school was capable of at the time. I was angered at the strike that probably cost the Dodgers another World Series.

Mr. McCourt, I remember the day that you bought the team. After having to deal with the drama that was constantly surrounding the ownership of Fox, I was thankful to finally have an owner who just wanted to watch winning baseball. I will admit to being a little upset at the departure of Dan Evans. I was, and will always be, a big supporter of his. I truly believe that he, Kim Ng, and Logan White are responsible for this great crop of young talent. I also commend you for ensuring that each of them was given an opportunity to win in Dodger blue.

Yet, here we are. Our team is not a bad team, Mr. McCourt. We are at a crossroads. We have young talented kids who appear on the verge of greatness. We have some veterans who want to end their careers with a smile and with a ring. However, we have our issues as well. Our struggles cannot be blamed on one individual. Yet, certain individuals must be held accountable for their actions (and at times their inactions). I know that I am a lone fan in Louisiana. But, I ask that you at least listen to my suggestions. I do not presume to suppose that my opinion is that much greater than anyone else, but as a fan I know this team.

The plan that would suggest to you is simple. I have no doubt that others have made the same suggestions. Yet, to ease my conscious I must relate them to you. In a few words: use the FA market to bolster our kids and not the other way around. We are finally at that place where we are building a farm that is the envy of baseball. I know that you are an advocate for our youth and I applaud you for this. However, recently FA has been misused. We need to allow our “homegrown” talent to be the predominant presence on the field. Then, we need to reach into the FA market to fill whatever issues we still have on the field. You have an opportunity this offeason. You can prove to Dodger fans that you too are sick of the mediocrity. Sign two premier free agents that will help us win something. Lock up our star youngsters for a long time. I know that you have the power to do these things and I truly believe that you want to.

Mr. McCourt, I know that you want the Dodger organization to be a premier organization. I respect that and believe it is on its way. However, when a mediocre team is on the field, outsiders are not able to put our team alongside teams such as the Redsox and the Yankees. We seem below average.

I am writing this letter to ask you to please make some changes. Put a competitive team on the field. Put knowledgeable people in the front office. And please, help put another World Series trophy in the Dodgers trophy case.

Cesar
07-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Good points, but I don't think you make your point clear enough from the get go. Get away from the "I love the Dodgers" to something more along the lines of "It's not cutting it."

If you want, if you send me a word attachment, I'll give you specific comments. I write for a living, if that's any reassurance. Right now, I don't think it's good enough to send to McCourt. Let me know what you think.

southerndodgerf
07-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Good points, but I don't think you make your point clear enough from the get go. Get away from the "I love the Dodgers" to something more along the lines of "It's not cutting it."

If you want, if you send me a word attachment, I'll give you specific comments. I write for a living, if that's any reassurance. Right now, I don't think it's good enough to send to McCourt. Let me know what you think.

I was trying for both the whole positive and negative thing. I guess it came across vague. Please send me your email in pm and I will send it over. I teach English for a living, I thought that would help...LOL.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 01:21 AM
My honest advice would be to cut out a lot of the beging. He going to read it and think its just another stupid and throw it out before you get to your point. Also, throw in there that you demand Matt Kemp, and James Loney be traded to a AL team :D.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 01:22 AM
I was trying for both the whole positive and negative thing. I guess it came across vague. Please send me your email in pm and I will send it over. I teach English for a living, I thought that would help...LOL.

Your a English teacher??? Wow, I can actully argue with a teacher and not get in trouble.

southerndodgerf
07-12-2008, 01:22 AM
After rereading, it does give mixed signals. Of course, the latter parts were written after a loss.

southerndodgerf
07-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Your a English teacher??? Wow, I can actully argue with a teacher and not get in trouble.

It should be, "You're[I] [I]an English teacher?

Jk

And yes, to a point. BTW, glad you are behaviing.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-12-2008, 01:44 AM
It should be, "You're[I] [I]an English teacher?

Jk

And yes, to a point. BTW, glad you are behaviing.

Will you be mad at me if im on PSD when I should be doing my homer work? Home work is overrated any ways! Last year in English I didnt do any home work but I got and A on my final, and my final project and wound up with a B in the class. English is better than Spanish though.

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
You touched some great points, and I hope Mccourt gets a hold of it. I know you pointed out that they need to use the FA market properly, but maybe you should put more emphesis on that fact, and give him some examples as well as telling him that we know he spends the money, but he needs to find someone who knows how to spend it.

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I mean, maybe mention that we have at least the top 5 payroll, and look at where we are at. I just got back from the game a little while ago, and it was horrid. Andruw got his *** booed off again, as I just sat there shaking my head.

BlueMouse
07-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Nice work, SDF. First off, I like the letter seeing as I agree with your take on building around the youngsters :D

Your main point needs to be early, imo. Get it into the 2nd paragraph. I like the short and sweet ***-kissing paragraph - but after that get right to it. You can digress after that. McCourt is a busy man, odds are he won't make it all the way through the letter, if it even gets into his hands at all.

Maybe even be more specific about naming players you think the Dodgers should not let go of, or GM's they should fire. Maybe even mention names of possible big FA names for the offseason: CC, Raffy, Orlando Hudson, etc..

You could also shorten it some. In all honesty, I would lose the entire paragraph about growing up in Louisiana. Not that it is unintersting, but it isn't necessary to your point. You love the Dodgers... Don't really need an explaination for that :)

Finally, and this is a must, you must give a PSD shoutout. You are a moderator on arguably the best Dodger message board in the world that is not affiliated with MLB. Give yourself some props and establish your cred.

Keep up the good work. :clap: I will punch a puppy if McCourt lets Kemp or Loney get traded

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 02:04 AM
^
I would love it if SDF gave a shout out out to PSD, cause we all know Mccourt would be searching the boards in the middle of the night while Jamie is fast asleep, and unsatisfied.

darth550
07-12-2008, 02:08 AM
If you're really gonna send it, CC everybody in the organization, Plaschke, Simers, Steiner, Lyons and try to get his home addy to mail it. It might just get to him that way. Also, call his secretary at the stadium and say you've sent it by request and and she should alert him to it.

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 02:16 AM
How would you know where to send a letter to Steve Lyons? Dodger Stadium?

BlueMouse
07-12-2008, 02:25 AM
^
I would love it if SDF gave a shout out out to PSD, cause we all know Mccourt would be searching the boards in the middle of the night while Jamie is fast asleep, and unsatisfied.

That would be awesome if there was all of a sudden a new PSD member named McBlue#1

We would probably get on his case for starting a thread before he had 100 posts, and piss him off. A little while later he would get back at us by extending Pierre's contract another 5 years, then come back in the forum and say, "take that ****ers!".

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 02:35 AM
^
LMFAO
McBlue#1...priceless!

darth550
07-12-2008, 02:36 AM
How would you know where to send a letter to Steve Lyons? Dodger Stadium?

Gotta be resourceful!

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Maybe Email him at....

PhycoBabble1@DodgersLive.com

IDK. But Seriously, I hope Frank gets it and reads it. Mccourt is a good guy, but needs some sense knocked into him.

LAdiablo
07-12-2008, 03:01 AM
possibly a tad verbose. try to say the same thing on a bumper sticker.

and i really believe he is on the right track right now. the kids are here and if ned is gone soon he will have garnered my total confidence. because he is looking at the whole thing honestly and moving on.:pray:

dodgerphreak
07-12-2008, 03:31 AM
That would be awesome if there was all of a sudden a new PSD member named McBlue#1

We would probably get on his case for starting a thread before he had 100 posts, and piss him off. A little while later he would get back at us by extending Pierre's contract another 5 years, then come back in the forum and say, "take that ****ers!".

LOL!! :up::laugh2: that would be great. Yes, I agree, let Frank know that there is a message board out there for ideas, keeping touch with the fans, etc etc.

I like the letter, but I agree with the above posts, the main point needs to be at the beginning of the letter, not the end. Other than that, it's great and I agree with all of its points.

On a short side note, since you are an english teacher, just thought it would be fitting to let you know that I failed my AP English Literature test(got a 2:smoking:). LOL

southerndodgerf
07-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Thanks for all the pointers guys, I will revise and post that on here when I am done.

/teacher mode on

Cain=Future: I have no say in when or if you do your homework. However, the ability to get an "A" rarely is dependant on actual knowledge. You are doing yourself (and your future) a disservice by slacking now. But, then again, I would go back and tell myself that at your age.

dodger_phreak: A "2" out of what? Please tell me it was like a 5 pt. scale. I am disappointed. Obviously, you know you can do better. But again, I am not you.

/teacher mode off

G2BOAT
07-12-2008, 04:26 AM
I would get rid of the third paragraph, it's a little wordy and your point isn't getting across yet. Same with some of the 4th paragraph. Other than that it's pretty good.

...and may'be at the end tell him that the parking sucks, and that the fans should park where they want like they way it was.

Statik1
07-12-2008, 05:35 AM
We should figure out a way for all the forum members to sign the letter! I know it can be done by hand but some how we can figure something out

nme
07-12-2008, 06:30 AM
SDF,

I like the letter. I feel where you are coming from. Some typos, yes, but those will obviously be corrected. Send it to everyone available. I would love to help you edit and pare it down a bit (it may be a tad verbose), but the essence of the letter rings true to how you and many of us feel. If you'd like some more help with it, PM me and I'll kick you my email and help with the actual document.

No matter what, well done (as always) SDF. Even if he writes what we have to say off, I'm glad to know that someone amongst our ranks may have the owner's ear. Thank you for putting this much effort into a franchise that I know I cherish dearly.

BlueMouse
07-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the pointers guys, I will revise and post that on here when I am done.

/teacher mode on

Cain=Future: I have no say in when or if you do your homework. However, the ability to get an "A" rarely is dependant on actual knowledge. You are doing yourself (and your future) a disservice by slacking now. But, then again, I would go back and tell myself that at your age.

dodger_phreak: A "2" out of what? Please tell me it was like a 5 pt. scale. I am disappointed. Obviously, you know you can do better. But again, I am not you.

/teacher mode off

It's been a while since I was in high school, but I believe AP tests are scored on a 1-5 scale. 3 is generally considered passing. A lot of college's will give you credits for a 3, and almost all colleges will give credits for a 4-5.

Fabian43
07-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree with previous posters about being more specific on your recommendations on FAs. Just saying to acquire two premier free agents is very vague. Maybe you could say for him to target either a premier pitcher such as Ben Sheets or CC Sabathia and then target an impact hitter (doesn't it seem like this has been our off season plan for years now?! lol). As an alternative to sending this to McCourt, because the odds of him recieving this are slim, maybe you could send this to Plaschke, Tony Jackson, or Simers and ask them to do a one time column dedicated to fan's comments or suggesetions and highlight your letter. If this made it into the LA Times or Daily News then definately McCourt would see it....along with Ned!

BlueMouse
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
^ Thoughts are going through my head about how Plaschke would butcher this up.

dodgerphreak
07-12-2008, 02:41 PM

/teacher mode on

/teacher mode off
Yes, it is a 5 point scale. 3-5 is passing while 2> isn't.

We should figure out a way for all the forum members to sign the letter! I know it can be done by hand but some how we can figure something out

All of us who can should just sign a small piece of paper, scan it in, and then send SDF the image file. It could be done. We'd have to give credit where credit is due, though, and make sure we name SDF as the writer and we all sign in agreement or something.

THINKBLUE15
07-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Just scan our signatures, and upload them. But that would be a lot of signatures, and idk if SDF wants all of our signatures. But if SDF is cool with it, that is a good idea.

bestlakersfan
07-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I agree, the more sigs, the better.

southerndodgerf
07-12-2008, 08:02 PM
SDF would love your signatures. SDF thinks it is a great idea. I just wondered what it would be like to post in the 3rd person.

theophilus166
07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Sign two premier free agents that will help us win something. Lock up our star youngsters for a long time. I know that you have the power to do these things and I truly believe that you want to.

The problem is that there aren't a huge amount of great free agents every year, because teams are locking up their star youngsters. We signed Pierre, Schmidt, and Jones mostly because there weren't any true impact free agents available. Who else was a free agent that we should have gone after? Zito? Carlos Lee for 6 years, 100 million? A lot of good free agents like Aramis Ramirez never truly the market, because they re-signed with their current team. We can't sign free agents just to sign them.

The truth is, there are only TWO premiere free agents this year. CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira. That's it. Also consider that one team that is losing a ton of payroll is the Yankees, who'd love to have Sabathia. They're losing $22 million in Giambi, 16 million in Pettitte, 11 million in Mussina, 11 million in Pavano and 15 million in Abreu (if they don't pick up his 17 million option for '09). That's 70 million or so in payroll coming off the books. If we trade for Tex, we have no choice but to trade Loney.

Sheets is FA, but has health problems. Dunn has an 18 million team option. Crawford has a 10 million team option. The next best free agents after those guys are our own, in Furcal and Lowe.

My point is that we can't just say 'sign someone' or 'trade for someone.' It doesn't work like that. There are only a few good players that are traded every year, and very few good free agents. Baseball is turning back into what it was in the old days: teams that scout and draft the best will win. You need good young talent both to win, and to trade for established players.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2008-09-free-agents.html

By the way, that's one of the best baseball sites I've seen. It has every player contract for every team listed.

Mr Blue
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Nice work, SDF. First off, I like the letter seeing as I agree with your take on building around the youngsters :D

Your main point needs to be early, imo. Get it into the 2nd paragraph. I like the short and sweet ***-kissing paragraph - but after that get right to it. You can digress after that. McCourt is a busy man, odds are he won't make it all the way through the letter, if it even gets into his hands at all.

Maybe even be more specific about naming players you think the Dodgers should not let go of, or GM's they should fire. Maybe even mention names of possible big FA names for the offseason: CC, Raffy, Orlando Hudson, etc..

You could also shorten it some. In all honesty, I would lose the entire paragraph about growing up in Louisiana. Not that it is unintersting, but it isn't necessary to your point. You love the Dodgers... Don't really need an explaination for that :)

Finally, and this is a must, you must give a PSD shoutout. You are a moderator on arguably the best Dodger message board in the world that is not affiliated with MLB. Give yourself some props and establish your cred.

Keep up the good work. :clap: I will punch a puppy if McCourt lets Kemp or Loney get traded

I personally will punch a rabid mountain lion if JK or JL are traded.:smoking: I agree with almost all off BM's points, and I have a lot of experience with executive communication. CEO's have a very short attention span and you need to sink the hook quickly. I would say something to the effect that all fans appreciate the money he has put into the team, and how disappointed he must be in the return on his investment. If you get into specifics, I would definitely mention that much of his disappointment must be with what appears to fans to be the apparently sub-par physical analysis and diagnostics on free-agents prior to agreeing to long term contracts. I would also balance that with a positive: the fans' admiration for the consistent hard work that has resulted in a best of breed farm system and his patience with watching the players mature, and for resisting the urge to win now and waste that investment in player development.

I know you put a lot of work into this Bro, and we all greatly appreciate that. :clap:

BlueLynk
07-12-2008, 10:10 PM
good letter.. also about the FAs we have to try to get FAs that do WELL in our park.. im noticing we sign FAs that dont do well in our park and thats why they stink it up and go somewhere else and tear it up.. tell him he REALLY needs to research the player and how well they played here which i assume they do but at the same time i feel they are clueless haha

don'tfireNedCo
07-13-2008, 02:27 AM
great letter.

send it.

what about a section where other fans can sign in?

don'tfireNedCo
07-13-2008, 02:29 AM

sorry for making a repeat post..