PDA

View Full Version : Are you sure Ted didn't want Brett back?

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 12:20 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678

Another twist to Favre story?
By Journal Sentinel staff
Friday, Jul 11 2008, 05:21 PM

Jay Glazer reports on foxsports.com that Brett Favre informed Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy in late March, just weeks after his retirement announcement, that he wanted to return. According to Glazer's sources, Thompson and McCarthy told Favre they would welcome him back. They planned to fly to Mississippi and make it official later that week, but then Favre phoned the team two days before the meeting and said he had changed his mind again and was staying retired.

Glazer was the one who first reported March 4 that Favre had decided to retire.

THIS NEEDED ITS OWN THREAD

hgtiger32
07-12-2008, 12:35 AM
i heard the same thing on TMJ4 News @ 10...all the nat'l media is hating on TT and MM...they know little

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 12:39 AM
i heard the same thing on TMJ4 News @ 10...all the nat'l media is hating on TT and MM...they know little

If it's true, which it likely is. :censored:!!!!!!! I can't see Jay reporting some phony story. It really changes a lot of my thinking about this whole situation.

PackAttack09
07-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Yeah Hawkeye/Twelvepack take that! Ted did want him back he just waited until Aaron Rodgers was promised the starting job. Everyone in the NFL knows there are no "take-backs" so Favre is kinda screwed... Sorry your Ted ran Brett out of town story isn't true, maybe something you pull out of your butt might end up sort of like the truth, so keep churning out that bullcrap, ok?

Rtardz
07-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I just cant wait to hear from TT and MM at a press conference. I want to hear all of this from the horses mouth.

The Boss
07-12-2008, 09:53 AM
this whole situation is so frustrating......and I am definitely sick of seeing/hearing "sources say", I dont even want to hear any more unless it is Brett/TT/or Coach on camera making a statement

RcrkllrH2
07-12-2008, 10:12 AM
this whole situation is so frustrating......and I am definitely sick of seeing/hearing "sources say", I dont even want to hear any more unless it is Brett/TT/or Coach on camera making a statement

amen!

hughest4
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah Hawkeye/Twelvepack take that! Ted did want him back he just waited until Aaron Rodgers was promised the starting job. Everyone in the NFL knows there are no "take-backs" so Favre is kinda screwed... Sorry your Ted ran Brett out of town story isn't true, maybe something you pull out of your butt might end up sort of like the truth, so keep churning out that bullcrap, ok?

I'm not really Pro-TT or against TT, but just because he said he could come back doesn't necessarily mean he wanted him back. At that point in March it was before they drafted Brohm, and also before all of the camps started(i think). There was no way that TT could say no to Favre coming back at that point because there was no reason he shouldnt. I hope this makes sense...real tired still

beast
07-12-2008, 10:59 AM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/11/why-the-packers-won-t-take-favre-back.aspx#comments

Thompson's philosophy since becoming general manager in 2005 has been to create an atmosphere of equality and brotherhood in the locker room. When he got there, coach Mike Sherman had created a situation where Favre was given latitude no other player was given. Understandably, he deserved most of it, but his absence from mini-camps and off-season workouts was setting a poor example for the rest of the team.

Both Thompson and McCarthy fought hard to change the dynamics in the locker room and began to demand more accountability from Favre and other veterans. That push and pull to create more of an equal state in the locker room created an undercurrent of tension between Thompson and Favre, who were in different stages of their careers (Thompson at the start of his, Favre at the end of his).

Soup Nazi
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
As I've said in two other threads, this report by Glazer says all that needs to be said. Favre made this mess and it is on him. He's orchestrating a media frenzy to wiggle his way out of responsibility but deep in your hearts you have to know his indecision finally caught up with him. it really is as simple as that. Even discounting the Glazer report, it is well known that before Favre retired, McCarthy begged him to reconsider, even telling him that the packers could get by with 80% of the committment Favre displayed in 2007. The organization did not force his retirement.

servais77
07-12-2008, 11:12 AM
This could be all spin from the Packer side:

Jones said Favre never mentioned any desire in March to come back. The two were putting the finishing touches on Jones’ book about Favre’s career at that time and Favre seemed convinced he was finished, Jones said. It wasn’t until Jones caught up with Favre in June that he saw the quarterback had been working out and throwing at a nearby high school, clearly preparing to get in training-camp shape.

“That (the Fox report) is news to me . . . ” Jones said. “He would have told me. There was no indication to me that anything like that had happened.”

The bottom line? The rumor is reality now. Get used to the idea of Favre in another jersey sometime soon if Green Bay doesn’t want him back.

“Yes, I think he will consider playing for someone else,” Mariucci said. “Yes. As hard as that is to imagine, yeah, I think he would consider playing for someone else if it is not Green Bay.”

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
As I've said in two other threads, this report by Glazer says all that needs to be said. Favre made this mess and it is on him. He's orchestrating a media frenzy to wiggle his way out of responsibility but deep in your hearts you have to know his indecision finally caught up with him. it really is as simple as that.

Hey, good to see you around Soup. It sure did catch up with him. How can you waver back and forth post retirement and expect to be taken seriously?

servais77
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey, good to see you around Soup. It sure did catch up with him. How can you waver back and forth post retirement and expect to be taken seriously?

Irregardless Jordan has retired multiple times...Clemens the same. Favre is in the same category. This stuff happens. If the Packers were a terrible team it wouldn't be an issue but they are a super bowl contender with him in the fold so it is.

Plus I believe Glazer's report has a hint of spin to it. As Mr. Jones is reporting now.

Soup Nazi
07-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Hey man, I got cut off from this site at work so don't have as much access as I used to. I'll be more active, I promise. I do want it known that I still love Favre to death and always will for what he gave us. In my humble opinion though, this is on him.

Soup Nazi
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Irregardless Jordan has retired multiple times...Clemens the same. Favre is in the same category. This stuff happens. If the Packers were a terrible team it wouldn't be an issue but they are a super bowl contender with him in the fold so it is.

Plus I believe Glazer's report has a hint of spin to it. As Mr. Jones is reporting now.

I don't disagree with you on that but this mess is of his own doing. I honestly don't know what I would do if I were making the decisions. I can see pros and cons on both sides. I'm going to live with whatever happens and go on supporting the Packers and still loving Favre for everything he has given us over the years.

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM
This could be all spin from the Packer side:

Jones said Favre never mentioned any desire in March to come back. The two were putting the finishing touches on Jones’ book about Favre’s career at that time and Favre seemed convinced he was finished, Jones said. It wasn’t until Jones caught up with Favre in June that he saw the quarterback had been working out and throwing at a nearby high school, clearly preparing to get in training-camp shape.

“That (the Fox report) is news to me . . . ” Jones said. “He would have told me. There was no indication to me that anything like that had happened.”

The bottom line? The rumor is reality now. Get used to the idea of Favre in another jersey sometime soon if Green Bay doesn’t want him back.

“Yes, I think he will consider playing for someone else,” Mariucci said. “Yes. As hard as that is to imagine, yeah, I think he would consider playing for someone else if it is not Green Bay.”

Somebody is lying or maybe this one time Jones was left out of the loop. I was listening to Mooch on the radio last night when he was saying this and my heart started to sink.

beast
07-12-2008, 11:26 AM

What media report, hasn't had spin to them. All of them had. Every one is assuming one side is right or wrong.

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 11:30 AM

I'm all for having him back as you know. This is really a difficult decision for TT, MM and Murphy to make. If this report is true I now can see where the executives are coming from. What a mess

The Boss
07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
As I've said in two other threads, this report by Glazer says all that needs to be said. Favre made this mess and it is on him. He's orchestrating a media frenzy to wiggle his way out of responsibility but deep in your hearts you have to know his indecision finally caught up with him. it really is as simple as that. Even discounting the Glazer report, it is well known that before Favre retired, McCarthy begged him to reconsider, even telling him that the packers could get by with 80% of the committment Favre displayed in 2007. The organization did not force his retirement.

I'll second that...

still love Favre, but seriously....

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey man, I got cut off from this site at work so don't have as much access as I used to. I'll be more active, I promise. I do want it known that I still love Favre to death and always will for what he gave us. In my humble opinion though, this is on him.

LOL Get back to work!

No need to explain the love but I do feel ya. We all love Brett, hes done sooooooooo much for the Packers. One couldn't honestly call themselves a Green Bay Packer fan and not love Brett and what he has meant to the organization.

SDteacher
07-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a "Packer" basement, the paint and everything. This summer I had a huge jersey box made for my first Favre jersey and was going to "retire" it on the night of the Minnesota game. I don't know if I'll ever hang that jersey now. I know that seems juvenile, but if what is being said is true than I'm really hurt and upset. Sorry about my last comment to those backing TT, that is if what was said is true.

uncfan44
07-12-2008, 02:14 PM
so check it, i agree with soup to an extent. He did make the bed and now he has to lay in it so the sayin goes. I just have a hard time acceptin the fact that he could play for someone else. for a guy in his 20's favre is all i have known since i was a kid. My love the the pac is largely built on him. I just can imagine him being on a different team. I dont c y TT does not just take him back. I know that would create a prob for Arod so tell favre he has to compete for the starting job. NOW b4 everyone snaps on me for that one, lol; it would make arod feel good i think. And really, dont we all know who would win the battle. #4 or the great unknown, now i am not affraid of change but lets face it brett has to give us the best chance of winning, and whos gonna b more insync with out players during drills when competeing? So y cant this b a decent solution. favre sucks up his pride and comes back to compete, which is what he loves, TT sucks up his pride and lets him back. And the GREAT majority of the fans get what they want in favre commin back.

Ryan Diesel
07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
As GM of our team, it is your responsibility and solely your responsibility to make it CLEAR to the greatest player in our franchise history wether or not you want him back. There should be no grey area. I guarantee you probably every GM or 95% of the GM's in this league would have let Favre know he was wanted back from the start, if they actually did want him back. Nobody else makes this decision, it's nobody's job except the GM's to make sure situations like this don't get out of control.

socalpkrbkr
07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
As GM of our team, it is your responsibility and solely your responsibility to make it CLEAR to the greatest player in our franchise history wether or not you want him back. There should be no grey area. I guarantee you probably every GM or 95% of the GM's in this league would have let Favre know he was wanted back from the start, if they actually did want him back. Nobody else makes this decision, it's nobody's job except the GM's to make sure situations like this don't get out of control.

I love Brett just as much as the Packers but it's still the Packers first. Only by a :censored: hair. With that being said Diesel how can TT have control over this story if it's true? He's really in a no win situation. The fans will be pissed off either way. I was talking to my old man about it last night and the thing that stuck with my from what he said was, "Brett wants to have his cake and eat it too."

Ryan Diesel
07-13-2008, 01:45 AM
If he wants to eat cake, and it makes the Packers a better team, I'm all for it.

socalpkrbkr
07-13-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.madison.com/toolbox/index.php?action=printme2&ref=wsj&storyURL=%2Fwsj%2Fhome%2Fsports%2Findex.php%3Fntid %3D295949

Some quotes are in here from Ted that I didn't hear yesterday. Maybe some of you will give a crap.