PDA

View Full Version : Analytical View of Beasley's Game. Please Reply.

Kimbosliced
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Let preface this thread as a view of Beasley's game when compared to other stars in the NBA. Right now, some people are having trouble putting Beasley into position in the NBA. Below, I have thoroughly looked at Beasley's game when compared to major SFs/PFs in the game. Please feel free to comment. It is long. So, please bare with me.

Here's the thing with Beasley's game. He can easily line up at both positions-SF and PF. Honestly, the deal is defense. However, mismatches with Lebron James and Melo happen to everybody, don't use them. The guy is a hardnosed scorer. By the same token, Beasley is a prolific scorer in his own right. Lebron James, Melo, etc will have a very difficult time stopping Beasley, as Beasley has a hard time stopping them. All things being equal, anyone can exploit somone's weaknesses defensively especially when you can shoot the 3 ball like Beasley or Melo. Let's look at Beasley vs. Lebron. Beasley can power Lebron down to the basket as well as take him on a 1st step simply because of his size. He knows how to score.

Personally, I see Beasley's game both collegiately and the pros as very similar to Melo. Melo is a large SF that can line up in the PF spot. The big difference here is that Beasley is a much (and I mean much) more efficient player with his back to the basket when compared to Melo.

Melo can shoot the outside shot very very well. If you don't believe the similarities to Beasley and Melo, go to youtube and watch Melo's games with Syracuse. Then compare some of them to Beasley highlights. I mean Beasley is like a mirror image of the guy, but more efficient, collegiatley at least. He is a much better rebounder. It'll take Beasley a little while to develop his outside game, but he has all the skill at talent to do so.

Like Beasley, Melo's game is all based on his size and quickness. Go through all the SF in the league. The elite guys are bigger (more muscular) and at that sametime can exploit their size with similar quickness to the smaller guys. They just have a great "motor" if you will. Why is Melo so good? Is he faster than Barbosa or Ellis? Or even Tyrus Thomas? No. Have you seen Melo's crossover? It's not that flashy or good.

Similarly,Lebron's crossover is not that great (not like AI,Williams, Paul). Lebron is a freaking freight train. He's got sooo much incredible athletic ability. The NBA has never seen anything like it. MJ did not have near the athletic potential of Lebron (but MJ was a much better shooter, defender, and all around basketball player. This is why, when MJs atheltic ability was gone and he played for the Wizards he was still very very good. He could score just as easily and was very smooth with his movements. The vertical was not there anymore though).

Back to Melo.
Melo's half court game is a good 1st step getting the guy on his back and then he finishes. He also has a great fade away and can shoot the 3 ball. Thus, opposing defenders must guard him tightly or he will light hit up all night. When this happens, he'll blow by you. He is simply to big and fast. This is exactly why Beasley can succeed at either position.

In the end, I feel the Heat will use Beasley at both spots. Depending solely on what happens to Haslem/Marion. I feel Haslem is a true PF. If we were to trade Marion, Beasley will line up at the SF. Now, he will have a little bit of a learning curve but that is to be expected. Beasley is at his best in transition and the face up game. Conversely, Beasley could start and PF if Marion is not traded. We will see. However, the NBA needs to watch out for Beasley. He is a once in a decade talent. I mean the sky is the limit. Based on his structure, he could go up to 260 and be like an Elton Brand style PF or stay at around 240-250 and be a very, very effective SF (akin to Melo but with more scoring power-I mean that). I also would like to see the guy get in the weight room some more. Especially for his Lower Body. Imagine a Wade + Melo 2.0 type talent for the next few years? We will have a dynamic duo, unmatched offensively. Much better than AI + Melo because Wade is simply a more dynamic scorer than AI now. Simply, add some more 3 pt. shooters and decent center and we could go far.

Mambo Kings
07-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Michael Beasley is a young Derrick Coleman.

Diehardheatfan
07-12-2008, 03:41 AM
Michael Beasley is a young Derrick Coleman.

He will be better. Coleman was plagued by injuries and that heart condition. It was 2 bad. Beasley will be great

greek miami hea
07-12-2008, 04:26 AM
beasley=future nba superstar!with the help of wade and others he is gonna take dowx the rims!!!!

Mambo Kings
07-12-2008, 05:31 AM
He will be better. Coleman was plagued by injuries and that heart condition. It was 2 bad. Beasley will be great

Oh, I agree. The keyword in my post: a young Derrick Coleman.

Comparing their styles, that's who I see out on the floor.

(again, the young version, the all-star, not the VH1 True Story)

Hotone1401
07-12-2008, 06:31 AM
I think you are overrating Beasley at such a early time in his career. The kid hasn't even played an NBA game yet and you are suggesting that the kid will be able to check Lebron? Not happening. You have to take into consideration that the kid is just a rookie.

I doubt Beasely is stronger than Lebron right now. He might be in the future but who knows? Lebron is a FREAK! I do however think that Beasely has a unique aspect to his game being left handed. But he still won't be able to do much against Lebron for the first two years of his career. With time, Beasely will mature physically and gain more experience.

BALLER71
07-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Nice post.
I think he will be a power forward, I remember once I read that one of his weaknesses is that he tries to play SF and he tries to do too much.

Diehardheatfan
07-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I think you are overrating Beasley at such a early time in his career. The kid hasn't even played an NBA game yet and you are suggesting that the kid will be able to check Lebron? Not happening. You have to take into consideration that the kid is just a rookie.

I doubt Beasely is stronger than Lebron right now. He might be in the future but who knows? Lebron is a FREAK! I do however think that Beasely has a unique aspect to his game being left handed. But he still won't be able to do much against Lebron for the first two years of his career. With time, Beasely will mature physically and gain more experience.

Im just saying hes a guaranteed superstar 0 percent chance he will bust! Best player in the draft with mayo next in line

daleja424
07-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I think you over extimate Beasley's strength. Theres no way he is as strong as Bron Bron... Bealsey has to be PF IMO, b/c he is too slow to play SF...

marlinsfan24
07-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I see Beasley as a PF too. Meaning somehow we keep Marion.
This was a great post, and I agree with most of your points. I cannot wait to see a Lebron-Beasley or Beasley-Melo matchup

SwaggaIke
07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Before the summer league, I compared him to Jamison. But watching the games, he looked more and more like Melo to me. Multi dimensional scorer w/ a nice shooting touch and sometimes questionable shot selection. Hopefully Zo can get him to maximize his motor and we should have stud in Beasley.

noturnormalhero
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
People say he tries too much. Did you not see that team he played for in Kansas State? I think only one other guy got drafted and an average person cant name you anyone on the team besides them two. He had to carry that team on his own and they were dependent on him on the offensive end BIG time. Luckily for him he has an inside and outside talent and not a one dimensional low post guy like TOO many PF's are. Whether we stay with Marion or trade him and get Artest,Josh Smith or any other big name player..Beasley is a rookie and is 19 years old. He will be the 3rd best player on the team which is not a knock down, it says a lot about the talent the Heat will have on the team! He played ONE year in college, on a team that i cant even see making the NCAA tournament next year with their new roster of players and without Beasley of course. The kid has a lot to learn off and on the court but again, he is 19 with this much talent. When Kobe came in nearly everyone was like "who?". The Hornets drafted him and traded him away for DIVAC! Beasley is a young stud, a future NBA all star. You put him on the court with Wade and another high profiled player, this kid is going to shine even more and produce more. Look at the celtics with their big 3,how well that worked. Wade and Beasley and any other high profile player would do the same. Beasley benefits from having a down low game AND outside game. Chalmers passing and driving. Wade causing double teams and his ability to drive to the paint, Beasley scoring outside or down low ..that alone will cause crazy mismatches for the opponent. Now you throw in an Artest,Bosh,Josh Smith or someone of that caliber and damn. I could almost guarantee 90% of you watched like 2 games of Beasley this year,and have been just reading what OTHERS say (their opinions, not facts mind u) and have made ur conclusion on him by that. Beasley should be a PF because yes, he is slow and i cant see him guarding a Lebron or Paul Pierce type player. Brand is undersized. Haslem even is undersized. Luis Scola, Okafor..but they still produce. Beasley is only going to get better and better each year..as talented as he is now, he will get better. think about that

SwaggaIke
07-12-2008, 01:47 PM
We all watched Beasley. I don't think there is any college basketball fan in America that saw him less than 5 times this year. Beasley may not be fast, but he is quick. He'll be able to play the 3 or the 4, but his he will have problems early on defending both positions. He needs to work on his fundamentals as well. Boxing out, knowing where to be at all times and using his talent to the fullest. If he does those things, I can't see why he won't be a multiple all star in the league. Talent wise he is head over heels better than any player to come in the league since LeBron. He just needs to maximize it.

Kimbosliced
07-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Let me respond to some of the recent comments.

First, I know he cannot immediately come into the league and check Lebron. Simply put, Beasley has the ability to use his natural scoring instincts to put himself into a position to score on a talent like a Lebron James, Melo, etc. He in no way will have similar numbers to the above guys, maybe not even comparable to their rookie season simply because he will be the number 2 or 3 option on a team with an equivalent talent to a Lebron or Melo--Wade.

For those that say Beasley is too slow to play SF, he is not. In any sport, you do not need to be able to be the absolute fastest, the absolute strongest, have the highest vertical, be the tallest, the heaviest etc. There are benchmarks which you need to meet in the context of the sport. For example, you will often see high school basketball teams and maybe even some smaller collegiate teams (D3) with a 6'2 or under post player (maybe even a center). Now for a D1 school or the NBA, would you expect a 6'2 205 lb. PF to line up against the likes of Brand, KG, Okafor, etc. No! He would get eaten alive. Thus, as you increase in your level of play, the benchmarks for your particular sport increases.Now I know there are exceptions to the rule--aka Charles Barkley who is apparently 6'4, according to his book.

What I am trying to say is this: Beasley may not have the absolute speed of a Lebron James, although I would argue with anyone that steps from the Free thrown line explosiveness would be relatively equal between the two (they'd get to the rack at approximately the same time from the freethrow line) . Therefore, I do not see a great difference in overall necessary speed for the movements of a Lebron when compared to a Beasley. We can all agree in a 100 m dash, 40 yd dash, shuttle run, full court transition, Lebron is currently faster than a Beasley. You will find it hard to get someone as fast in transition as a Lebron James. However, Beasley can certainly hold his own as best as any other slower defender on Lebron could.

With all this in mind, I still believe the Heat should place Beasley in a position where he can dominate the most. This will really depend, again, on the Marion/Haslem situation.