PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield needs to go

Zoomlander
07-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I Watch this man play night after night..........makes me feel for him. He looks like he is up there just trying to keep his career afloat. Every at bat he looks over matched or looks like he is trying way too hard....who would ever think of seeing Gary ever batting Close to the .200 mark. he was always a guy you could count of for .300 avg, 33 Hrs, 120+ rbi's........and again who would have thought that Gary would have to make up an excuse for his bad play by saying i cant play the DH role.........I believe if sheffield is a real man he will tell Jimmy not to put him in the lineup so often........becuase it is a disgrace to his career.......i would rather see matt joyce DH......everyday then See Sheffield in there everyday......failing more then having success

scottie
07-11-2008, 11:03 PM
You've lost your mind. Joyce over Sheff. Go back to T-Ball

JackB
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Another bad signing. We are stuck with him for what another year after this year? Man am I glad Juan Gone said NO to our offer. We would still be paying him.

Zoomlander
07-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Have you been watching the Tigers this year? i dont think so if you think we should play sheff over Joyce...........Sheff has had enough time to get out of this so called slump he is in......I believe the time is up on his career.

One Nut Kruk
07-12-2008, 05:23 PM

How old are you? You defend Jones and now Sheff? He's washed up and useless. He's had more than enough time to prove he's capable of playing in this lineup and he is strictly there because of his contract and reputation.

I know you think Joyce is an "average" player but he's a young prospect who's proved to be way more effective than Sheffield at this point. Have you ever heard of prospects or do you think veteran players just get pedigrees out of the sky?

Seriously dude, you are clueless.

bballguy869
07-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Have you ever heard of prospects or do you think veteran players just get pedigrees out of the sky?

Haha, well said, Kruk.

I completely agree, Sheffield needs to go and I'd love to see Joyce take that spot. Especially when Maggs comes back and he wont have a spot in the outfield anymore.

scottie
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
How old are you? You defend Jones and now Sheff? He's washed up and useless. He's had more than enough time to prove he's capable of playing in this lineup and he is strictly there because of his contract and reputation.

I know you think Joyce is an "average" player but he's a young prospect who's proved to be way more effective than Sheffield at this point. Have you ever heard of prospects or do you think veteran players just get pedigrees out of the sky?

Seriously dude, you are clueless.

I see what you are saying about Joyce. Hell he's batting .267. I look at Sheff like the hall of fame player he is and was. i hope like hell he comes around. I've done pretty good with sports in my life, so I'd bet on someone with Sheff's credentials over Joyce's. The biggest problem with Detroit fans, besides the wings is they are the biggest, loudest homers there are. They remind me of State Fans. Joyce has strung together a good july so far, and I hope he continues, but get real If Sheff was living up to the hype Joyce wouldn't even be playing.. A TRUE PEDIGREE, and A WAY BETTER PROSPECT (I Know you have Sheff's Brewers Future Star Short Stop Card) Then Joyce, so don't lecture me on theology, philosophy or symantics. Detroit fans are the first to throw a player FROM YOUR TEAM under the buss. The guys earned is place in Baseball's future, let Leeland deciede what to do and live with it. don't hate the player, hope and pray like heven he gets better

Bondomania
07-13-2008, 12:58 AM
I do believe Joyce has more HR's than Sheff in fewer Ab's this year... people just need to see it as it is, sheff is washed up, and i wouldn't be surprised if we DFA'd him here shortly... the guy isn't hitting at all, and the fact that he is making up the excuse that he can't DH is even more pathetic. Here is news for sheff, turns out you are a glass ***** and you get injured way to often to play the field, your shoulder is shot and you cannot make throws with any sort of velocity, therefore that rules him out of playing any position pretty much on the field

Zoomlander
07-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Scottie, Scottie, Scottie

I dont see Sheff as a Hall of fame player, hes was a good player back in the day, like 3 years ago........but when he suffered that shoulder injury.......it messed him up bad..........so bad that the awesome man called Sheff is now struggling to bat above .200. I myself thought i would never see the day when that would happen to him.

you say Detroit fans are the first to throw a player FROM YOUR TEAM under the bus..........umm I beileve we have the right to through sheff under the bus becuase he has had enough time to get back to being sheff and his time is up in my opinion............when he is in or order.......he puts a big hole in it....

Sheff is Turning 40 in Nov. he is batting .217 with 200 ab's under his belt.........the more he takes playing time away from the youngsters the more he is hurting this team

(you say) The guys earned is place in Baseball's future, let Leeland deciede what to do and live with it. don't hate the player, hope and pray like heven he gets better

I say to that leyland does not have the balls to do anything to his vetrans....so we have to ***** on hear until he get the message.

One Nut Kruk
07-13-2008, 02:33 AM
I see what you are saying about Joyce. Hell he's batting .267. I look at Sheff like the hall of fame player he is and was. i hope like hell he comes around. I've done pretty good with sports in my life, so I'd bet on someone with Sheff's credentials over Joyce's. The biggest problem with Detroit fans, besides the wings is they are the biggest, loudest homers there are. They remind me of State Fans. Joyce has strung together a good july so far, and I hope he continues, but get real If Sheff was living up to the hype Joyce wouldn't even be playing.. A TRUE PEDIGREE, and A WAY BETTER PROSPECT (I Know you have Sheff's Brewers Future Star Short Stop Card) Then Joyce, so don't lecture me on theology, philosophy or symantics. Detroit fans are the first to throw a player FROM YOUR TEAM under the buss. The guys earned is place in Baseball's future, let Leeland deciede what to do and live with it. don't hate the player, hope and pray like heven he gets better

Yeah, no **** Sheffield was a way better prospect than Joyce. That's pretty irrelevant to what I was saying. I stated that Joyce is more effective at this point in time...and that's a fact. You need more than a lecture bud.

Zoomlander
07-13-2008, 02:57 AM
agreed

Sonny_buck
07-13-2008, 02:23 PM
If your players are not producing, let them sit. Unfornatly, the amount they invested in Sheff is going to be wasted. Joyce, is producing, making much less. He is going out and competing. Sheff is getting paid way more than he is worth. He just was a bad investment, that looked good when he signed the deal. It happens, management needs to move on. We will take a loss, so accept it and cut-him. Move on with the one's that are going to produce.

IndiansFan337
07-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Sheff was great last yr, aside from the injuries though.

So is he really this bad now? Or is something wrong? Does he need a break? Maybe the All-Star break will do him some good.... :shrug:

Zoomlander
07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Sheff is going to the Bahamas for the all-star break............he has gotten so bad that Tigers fan wish he just stay there.

Bondomania
07-13-2008, 11:17 PM
sheff is trying to hit hr number 500, and that is all he cares about at this point in his career... he is super pull happy, not that he wasn't always, but he is swinging for the fences every single time, and he is popping the ball up, or striking out

One Nut Kruk
07-13-2008, 11:57 PM
sheff is trying to hit hr number 500, and that is all he cares about at this point in his career... he is super pull happy, not that he wasn't always, but he is swinging for the fences every single time, and he is popping the ball up, or striking out

My thoughts exactly. He just wants #500. And in turn, we see him swinging for the fences in 0-2 and 1-2 counts and he either strikes out, hits a pop up or maybe if he really gets a hold of one, a 270 foot fly out !

jphenix2002
07-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Sheffield is NOT and will NOT live up to the hype. Period. And Renteria is even worse. At least Sheffield was worth the gamble. Everyone on the planet knew Renteria was NOT worth Jurrjens. I know Dombrowski shouldn't be fired for one bad move, but that should definately put him on the hot seat. If I've ever heard of a GM swindling himself, that trade was it. And get rid of Rodney too. He's been bad for years, with the one decent year. Too bad he can't develop a third pitch; or control for that matter. Rodney gets hammered harder than a hairband groupie.

I think cutting these three and letting young guys develop would do just as good as a trade since we won't get anything for them. What do the Tigers have to lose? Unfortunately Dombrowski (like nearly every GM) doesn't have the humility for that. They're paid millions so therefore they have to work, failures or not.

Bondomania
07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Rodney's main issue is just control... if he could control the fastball, and get ahead early in counts, he could be lights out... unfortunatly he cannot, haha..

I was alright in the original rumors of us going after Renteria, because initially it was rumored to be Nate Robertson in the deal.. and that was all fine and dandy with me... but then to find out it was Jurrjens and Hernandez in the deal.. i was devastated.. oh well, deal is done, nothing we can do about it now

I don't know what you are talking about kruk, i love those 270 foot foul balls that Sheff hits! haha, the guy is a shell of what he used to be.. unbelievable, 14 mill for a guy to hit .220 with 5 hr's, a few rbi's.. oh yea, but i forgot, he knows how to work pitch counts and take walks.. what a joke, get the guy out of here, i would rather have Adam Dunn as my DH... at least his contact to damage ratio is through the roof

jphenix2002
07-14-2008, 07:31 PM
There is no way Rodney ever gets to be lights out or decent. He's been bad for years, and it's time to let him go. His biggest problem is control, but it's not his only problem. the dude is a proven loser. Unfortunately I think the Tigers see the same mirage with him being effective. He throws hard. Wow:rolleyes:. He does have a great changeup, but teams will figure out to develop patience and sit on it. Opposing teams salivate when he gets up in the 'pen. On top of this he's hurt all the time (ironically that's when he's most effective). Maybe the A's can fix him? I don't know, but it's not going to work in Detroit.

Bondomania
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
i don't know about that... he was pretty solid the second time he came off of the DL last year. He can be lights out, i don't know what you are talking about not being lights out. When he was throwing 96-97 with that changeup, it is kinda hard to sit on a changeup... again that is also considering control and such. If he could control the fastball and get ahead, you would have to be crazy to sit on a changeup if you are down 0-2 or 1-2 or even 2-2, because he could just run that fastball right by them... however, he is down in velocity, and you can see his confidence is lacking... i don't have a problem with him being a 6th or 7th inning guy, but he isn't an 8th or 9th inning guy.

Zoomlander
07-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I say Rodney has a great second half!

jphenix2002
07-15-2008, 01:44 AM
no way he's decent the second half. But whatever you say...

And you don't have to be crazy to sit on the change when you know it's his go to out pitch. But hey, anyone can succeed given 150 chances.

smarkow
07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
no way he's decent the second half. But whatever you say...

And you don't have to be crazy to sit on the change when you know it's his go to out pitch. But hey, anyone can succeed given 150 chances.

So, if you know the change is coming, why can't guys hit Johan Santana? Everyone knows he's going to throw the change. That said, i'm certainly not comparing the two. But Santana probably throws at least 2 changeups to every batter he faces.

Bondomania
07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
it isn't just his out pitch... you can be skeptical all you want.. but you CANNOT as a hitter sit on a changeup down in counts.. it might be his out pitch, but he could just as easily throw an 0-2 fastball at 95 or 96 and then all you can do as a hitter is watch it.. Also, when Rodney is able to command his fastball, he has prooven that that changeup is unhittable. He has run into trouble in the past when his velocity was down to 91 and 92 and lower because of the shoulder, and there wasn't as great of a variation in pitch speeds... but when he pumping 95 and 96 at you with an 81 mph changeup with a lot of late movement, he is dominant

Bondomania
07-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Another time he ran into trouble was last year when he was alternating fastball-changeup everyother pitch, which at points last year he did, which, then yes, you could sit on a changeup