PDA

View Full Version : The Official Duke Recruiting Thread

Sabres39
07-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I know there is a lot of Duke fans on here, including myself, so I wanted to make a thread dedicated to Duke recruiting in all its amazingness.

Sabres39
07-11-2008, 07:50 PM
2008 Commits

Elliot Williams

Hometown: Memphis, TN
Saint George Academy (TN)
Position rank: Shooting Guard # 6
Ht: 6'4" Wt: 180

When you talk about the top kids in this class Williams' name is right there. He is a big time player. He makes great decisions with the ball, allowing him to play either guard spot. He is a fantastice shooter with plenty of range. When he wants he can attack the rim and finish. When he really learns how to play defense he will be a force on both ends. On top of everything else he is a terrific young man who has great passion for the game.

Miles Plumlee

Hometown: Arden, NC
Christ School (NC)
Position rank: Power Forward # 15
Ht: 6'10" Wt: 210

A rail thin, long perimeter 4 man. Miles must add strength to his lanky body. He has a good touch but wants to stay on the perimeter offensively. He is a capable shot blocker especially off the ball. He changes ends well. Miles is an intelligent player that puts himself in good position to make plays when he has the ball.

Plumlee is long and thin right now so weight gain is a must. He displays a good basketball IQ and is as competitive as they come. He has a slight hitch in his shot which should be worked out. He runs the floor well for a big man. Rebounding is something he needs to work on which should come as he gains strength.

Olek Czyk

Hometown: Reno, NV
Reno H.S. (NV)
Position rank: Power Forward # 27
Ht: 6'8" Wt: 235

Czyz exploded onto the scene at the Las Vegas Easter Classic and he was even more dominant at the Pangos All-American Camp -- probably due to the wide-open style of play. He has a strong frame, fairly long arms, soft hands, and extremely live legs (very explosive). He is a spectacular finisher on the break and/or in the half-court set as he elevated numerous times for powerful dunks. Czyz plays very hard and is a tenacious rebounder at both ends. His post game is raw, with a few turn-around jumpers sprinkled in amongst all the dunks. He does, however, have great feet and a pretty strong drop-step move. He has a solid touch out to the stripe and his shot has become much smoother in the last couple of months. In addition to his athletic prowess, he is a nifty passer and displayed the savvy to be considered one of the top "fours" in the west. Though he is only 6-6 he plays much bigger and can probably guard a four, but with his athleticism he may be able to check a "three" as well. Overall, Czyz is a high-major talent, and if he continues to hone his perimeter skills he could find himself being recruited by all the big-time programs.

Sabres39
07-11-2008, 07:57 PM
2009 Commits

Mason Plumlee

Hometown: Arden, NC
Christ School (NC)
Position rank: Power Forward # 6
Ht: 6'11" Wt: 200

The word you use to describe Mason Plumlee is "potential". At 6-11, he runs the floor like a deer, can make perimeter shots and can put the ball on the floor like few others his size. Plumlee is not afraid to bang, but because of his strength, he often gets overpowered in the paint. While he does not have a go-to post move, he can use both hands and has a variety of ways to score the ball. Very few players in his class are as skilled at his size, yet sometimes his production does not match his ability. In order to get to the next level as a player, Plumlee will need to continue to work on his strength and his stamina. While he is not afraid of contact by any stretch, he still needs to get better at finishing and getting the rebounds that he gets his hands on. He is a very good shooter to 15 feet, but he can still develop his 3 point shooting ability as well. Plumlee is ideally suited for a program that will allow their "big guys" to work from the perimeter as well as in the paint.

Considering

Kenny Boynton

Hometown: Pompano Beach, FL
American Heritage H.S. (FL)
Position rank: Shooting Guard # 2
Ht: 6'2" Wt: 180

Maybe the best scoring guard in the nation in the 2009 class. Boynton can really shoot the ball off the dribble and is great at using ball screens to score. Good finisher at the basket, good with pull-ups and good shooter from three-point land. He can score 20 in a college game right now. He scores in bunches and he scores in the half-court. He is strong physically and is college ready. The biggest question marks regarding his game are: 1) What position will he play 2) Can he make others better and 3) Will his shot selection improve? Even with these questions, there is no doubt that Boynton is one of the best guards in the 2009 class.

A sensastional slasher to the basket. He can really finish in transition. In the half court setting he gets to the basket. He is difficult to stop when he wants to get to a spot on the floor with the dribble. An explosive athlete. He is only going to get better as time goes on although he needs to work on his point guard skills.

Terrell Vinson

Hometown: Baltimore, MD
Montrose Christian H.S. (MD)
Position rank: Power Forward # 5
Ht: 6'7" Wt: 195

Vinson is one of the most versatile, do it all players in the Class of '09. He is a combo forward who consistently fills up a stat sheet. Terrell is a very good athlete with a variety of ways to score. He has a good nose for the ball and a willingness to compete in the paint. His motivation, court intelligence, and consistency make him a coveted recruit.

Terrell has a really nice looking stroke, solid basketball knowledge and a good build which allow him to have a great offensive arsenal. He can take it to the rim and finish on anyone. Vinson plays inside in high school but he's an ideal wing at the next level. His experience down allows him to rebound with the best of them and get out and go.

Joshtd1
07-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Lol. 6'11, 200 pounds.

dbroncs-abraves
07-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Lol. 6'11, 200 pounds.

who cares hes an absolute beast i played against him a couple of weeks ago in a tournament in north carolina he was easily the best player in the tournament as they had ryan kelly a UNC recruit and a couple other high recruits he can jump and can knock down the open jumper he was flat out a stud

Joshtd1
07-12-2008, 02:54 AM
who cares hes an absolute beast i played against him a couple of weeks ago in a tournament in north carolina he was easily the best player in the tournament as they had ryan kelly a UNC recruit and a couple other high recruits he can jump and can knock down the open jumper he was flat out a stud

Im not saying he sucks, he's just really light. Im a Duke fan, and if we could get a great player Im all for it..but he is going to need to get stronger.

Mane
07-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Boo. Duke. Boo.

Iodine
07-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Boo. Duke. Boo.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

cambovenzi
07-12-2008, 10:27 AM
good stuff, i was looking at some of it the other day.
great to add some nice big men(even tho plumlee needs to get much bigger), and really nice talent overall.

Boo. Duke. Boo.

gtfo wigs.:eyebrow:

Crunchy12489
07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
NC > Duke.

I hate you blue devils!

cambovenzi
07-12-2008, 11:02 AM
NC > Duke.

I hate you blue devils!

duke has won 7 of last 10 ACC tourneys, and ACC regular season championships.

:cry:?

this is a duke recruiting thread. dont need your failed IQ test spam.

Sabres39
07-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Kennedy Boynton
Coaches gleaned that his top three schools are Duke, Georgia Tech, and Memphis, he likens his game to Allen Iverson's and thinks the ACC is the most overrated conference. The response that left some recruiters quizzical about the questionnaire was to the question: What current college player would you like to play with? Boynton's answer: Duke sophomore Nolan Smith.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/07/08/boynton/?eref=sircrc

Iodine
07-12-2008, 07:33 PM
duke has won 7 of last 10 ACC tourneys, and ACC regular season championships.

:cry:?

this is a duke recruiting thread. dont need your failed IQ test spam.

Oh my god your so cool!!!!!!

Joshtd1
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I cant wait to see Nolan Smith this year..he will be very good imo.

cambovenzi
07-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I cant wait to see Nolan Smith this year..he will be very good imo.

me too.
he looks really quick, and can take it to the basket.

SidTheKid
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
My take on the recruiting class:

1) Elliot Williams will be a stud player
2) Czyz will be a solid role player, especially on defense
3) Plumlee will turn into a decent forward, a great one if he bulks up.

I have a strong feeling also they will land Boynton with all the remarks he's made about loving what Duke is all about.

Sabres39
07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Duke has made offers to 6 recruits from the 2010 class:

PG's Tyler Thornton and Brandon Knight

SG Andre Dawkins (commited)

SF Harrison Barnes

PF Josh Hairston

C Josh Smith

Sabres39
07-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Brandon Knight | Point Guard
Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Pine Crest H.S. (FL)
Ht: 6'3" Wt: 175

Knight is a high-energy point guard with size and athletic ability. He has great speed and quickness with the ball and can change directions on a dime. He'll also go by defenders with hesitation moves that will lead to a quick crossover allowing him to get to the rim. Knight is one of the few guards who can get the ball to wherever he wants on the floor. He can shoot the pull-up jumper and has -point range. He's also an excellent penetrator who can draw the defense and kick to a shooter or deliver a drop off pass in the lane for a dunk. Knight can score off the high ball screen, but when the help defense is in position he can read the defense and find the open man. Shows good leadership skills and can run the team and take over the game with he turns up his intensity on offense. He's also a good defensive rebounder and likes to go coast to coast. Knight must get stronger and eliminate turnovers in crunch time when sometimes he will take chances and not value the basketball, but he's a great talent.

Joshua Smith | Center
Hometown: Covington, WA
Kentwood H.S. (WA)
Ht: 6'9" Wt: 230

Smith has a huge frame and remarkable agility for a player his size. He has long arms and possesses a division one body already. Despite his youth he has an outstanding feel for the game, especially when operating in the paint area. Whether it's a soft half-hook or rebound-finish, he is very effective finishing on the inside and he has an excellent pair of hands. Though he's a bit overweight he's quite bouncy and he uses his body very well to ward off taller opponents. Whether Smith adds a couple of inches to his frame remains to be seen - as of right now he's developing into the mold of former Boston College standout, Craig Smith.

Joshua Hairston | Power Forward
Hometown: Spotsylvania, VA
Courtland H.S. (VA)
Ht: 6'8" Wt: 210

Hairston has a menacing combination of size and athletic ability. He finishes everything around the basket as he is both quick off his feet and a tremendous vertical leaper. He also scores a good number of second chance points. In the half-court set, he has a clear go-to move with his turn-around jumper. Not only is he able to get this off at virtually anytime by elevating over the top of the defense, but he can also go to it with his back to the basket or when facing up and taking one hard dribble before spinning back into it. His perimeter skill set is emerging, although still very raw. While he can slash by other big men and knock down open 15 footers, he drifts to the three-point line far too often instead of staying close to the rim where he is dominant. Ironically, his true potential may lie on the defensive end of the floor, despite the fact that he currently gives an inconsistent effort on that end of the floor. With the size to guard the post and the lateral quickness/length to keep people in front of him on the perimeter he has the ability to guard multiple positions. He is also a tremendous shot blocker, especially when coming from the weak side of the floor. Hairston needs to pay special attention to the mental aspects of the game, as he can get easily frustrated and consequently make foolish mistakes on the floor.
Josh is a skilled high post player. He is effective in the low post but sometimes succumbs to players stronger than him. He has solid range and is a good shooter out to 19 feet. He is an average rebounder for his size. Josh is an OK defender. He needs to get stronger in order to better handle proficient low post players. He is an above average athlete that can block the occasional shot. Josh aspires to become a wing forward at some point in his career (and it shows). He is better as a mis-match 4 man because he is generally quicker and more athletic than most posts. He is a little soft right now but that does not prevent him from being one of the top prospects in the 2010 class. Josh is a top 25 prospect in the 2010 class.

Andre Dawkins | Shooting Guard Hometown: Chesapeake, VA
Atlantic Shores Christian School (VA)
Ht: 6'5" Wt: 185

Dawkins has advanced guard skills for a rising junior and is a high percentage perimeter shooter. He can shoot off the dribble, or using screens. He has good elevation on his shot, and ideal shooting form. He consistently makes correct decisions, has excellent shot selection, and is a fine passer with a knack for finding open teammates. Although he is positioned now as a swingman (g/f), he will likely play the shooting guard position at the collegiate level. Dawkins also has an outstanding work ethic, and is a true team player who plays with poise and confidence on the court. He is not yet a starter on the talent-filled Boo Williams summer team, but has benefited by practicing against older, stronger players. He does need to add muscle and strength during his final two years of high school. Dawkins is comparable to former Duke shooting guard Demarcus Nelson. His primary strengths are his exceptional outside shooting, and his court awareness. His primary needs are to become a better defensive player, and to step up his intensity level on the court.

Tyler Thornton (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2905705)

Harrison Barnes (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3142748)

Sabres39
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Ryan Kelly adds Duke to his final 6 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3073045)

cambovenzi
08-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Ryan Kelly adds Duke to his final 6 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3073045)

ooh.
very interesting.
would be a huge add to the team.
one of the best F specs.
he would probably get plenty of playing time, so he should be interested.

SidTheKid
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM

Good to hear, hopefully he commits.

Sabres39
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
ooh.
very interesting.
would be a huge add to the team.
one of the best F specs.
he would probably get plenty of playing time, so he should be interested.

The only downfall are the comparisons to the Plumlee brothers, who we already have. We need a post threat, not bigs that are happy to shoot the mid-range jump shot.

SidTheKid
08-05-2008, 10:30 AM
The only downfall are the comparisons to the Plumlee brothers, who we already have. We need a post threat, not bigs that are happy to shoot the mid-range jump shot.

agreed.

sdweston757
08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Duke has made offers to 6 recruits from the 2010 class:

PG's Tyler Thornton and Brandon Knight

SG Andre Dawkins (commited)

SF Harrison Barnes

PF Josh Hairston

C Josh Smith

He is a straight animal. i have seen him play in high school games and the kid is rediculous

SidTheKid
08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
He is a straight animal. i have seen him play in high school games and the kid is rediculous

I heard that too and I'm glad they committed him early.

Sabres39
09-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Duke has reportedly offered Ryan Kelly (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3073045)a scholarship!

cambovenzi
09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
well, we're getting very good big men.
but they all seem too skinny, and not really that physical.

J4KOP99
09-10-2008, 09:13 PM
www.dukeupdate.com (idk if im allowed to give links for other websites.) is where I get all of my information.

SidTheKid
09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
www.dukeupdate.com (idk if im allowed to give links for other websites.) is where I get all of my information.

I get mine from duke.scout.com

dbroncs-abraves
09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Duke has reportedly offered Ryan Kelly (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3073045)a scholarship!

the guy is pretty good but not very strong he can hit the open 3 also but cant really post up but surprisingly has good athleticism as he completely dunked on one of my good friends when we played them it was the worst i have ever seen

Sabres39
09-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Kenny Boynton is visiting Duke on October 25th. Way to save the best for last Kenny!;)

Sabres39
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
"About the middle to end of August I narrowed my list down to Duke, Georgetown, Stanford and Villanova," Thornton said. "Duke is my favorite and then Villanova. I really like the coaches at Villanova and have a great connection with them, so they are right behind Duke right now."http://duke.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=849259&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Sabres39
09-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Tyler Thornton (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2905705) and Josh Hairston (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3279414) committed to Duke!

oshea225
09-14-2008, 02:40 PM
very nice signings, 2010 class is shaping up and looking good for us

SidTheKid
09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Tyler Thornton (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2905705) and Josh Hairston (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3279414) committed to Duke!

Very excited to hear that. That class will be loaded once it's all set and done.

Sabres39
09-14-2008, 03:47 PM
The class will be even better when we get either Josh Smith, Harrison Barnes or Brandon Knight.

Sabres39
09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
"The coaches at Duke impress me, because of how personable they are. It is a great school and right now I am trying to make it down for an unofficial visit. We are trying to work that out now, so I am not sure when it will take place.

"It doesn't really matter to me whether I make the visit during basketball season or football season. Anyway that I can get down to see the campus and get a feel for the atmosphere is fine with me. I just want to get down for a visit."http://duke.rivals.com//barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=850660&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

I would love for Harrison Barnes to commit to Duke!

SidTheKid
09-16-2008, 02:43 PM
http://duke.rivals.com//barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=850660&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

I would love for Harrison Barnes to commit to Duke!

Same here!

5thgencali
09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
That 2010 class is going to be insane if they can land barnes or smith. I mean it's already good but landing one of them or both could lead to one of their best classes to date.

I can't wait to see Hairston, I think he is going to be a beast. I mean he may even grow some more and you would have him and mason on the front line, both tall but extremely athletic. That would be tough. Throw in Olek and that would be one versitile front line.

Sabres39
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Ryan Kelly is committing to a school tonight at 6 or 6:30 on ESPNU if anyone wants to watch. Duke is one of the 6 schools in contention for his services.

SidTheKid
10-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Ryan Kelly is committing to a school tonight at 6 or 6:30 on ESPNU if anyone wants to watch. Duke is one of the 6 schools in contention for his services.

:pray:

Sabres39
10-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Ryan Kelly chose Duke!!!

SidTheKid
10-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Ryan Kelly chose Duke!!!

:jumpy:

oshea225
10-10-2008, 12:35 AM
hes an ugly looking mofo but hey, im never gonna complain about getting the #3 pf in america (scouts.com)

cambovenzi
10-10-2008, 07:19 AM
awesome.
we are getting some big guys now.
(even if they arent the best rebounders, they are still good, and tall)
alot better than playing guards at forward again

sdweston757
10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
awesome.
we are getting some big guys now.
(even if they arent the best rebounders, they are still good, and tall)
alot better than playing guards at forward again

agreed. i would love for singler to be able to play his natural position at the 3. if we can get some height and muscle underneath i think singler would really start to excel on the perimeter. :o

thegreatone08
10-16-2008, 02:11 PM
http://http://www.truthaboutduke.com/shop_dis.php?photoid=4

Sabres39
10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Kenny Boynton chose Florida over Duke...:cry:

But apparently we are going after local product John Wall now that we lost Boynton.

cambovenzi
10-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Kenny Boynton chose Florida over Duke...:cry:
boo.

But apparently we are going after local product John Wall now that we lost Boynton.

hes the #1 PG? (or #2, that ive seen):speechless:
havent seen duke on any of his lists tho:eyebrow:

Sabres39
10-31-2008, 12:38 PM
boo.

hes the #1 PG? (or #2, that ive seen):speechless:
havent seen duke on any of his lists tho:eyebrow:

“Duke has been calling my coaches and sending me letters. They are trying to get in there and I am looking at them a little,” commented Wall.http://theshiver.com/2008/10/john-wall-preparing-for-the-sats-and-visits/

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3060204