PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Deadline For Tigers?

ChiCubs54
07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Quiet Deadline For Tigers?

Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press believes the Tigers might be quiet in the trade market this month. However, the team could use starting pitching and relief help.

Morosi notes that the Tigers have not inquired on Randy Wolf or Greg Maddux. What's more, Wolf has the Tigers on his no-trade list. One starter known to be on Detroit's radar: Freddy Garcia.

Morosi adds that the Tigers had discussions for John Grabow and Damaso Marte earlier this year. And keep in mind that Barry Svrluga said back in April that the Tigers "will watch Jon Rauch very closely."

Source: MLBTR

JackB
07-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Who can they get for anybody worth anything? The farm system is depleted again. I think there may be a minor signing of a FA let go in hopes of getting somebody that just needed a change of scenery.

Bondomania
07-13-2008, 01:01 AM
A.J. Burnett may be possible to acquire, but we will have to come out of the gates after the all-star break on fire. Because as of right now, we are 8 games out of first, and we have 6 games against the White Sox right after the break.. honestly, if we lose those and we are even further out, i think we have to consider selling at the deadline

Zoomlander
07-13-2008, 01:18 AM
i would take any young player for sheff and Rollercoaster

JackB
07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
I doubt we could get much of anything for Sheff. He's burned a bridge or two and he isn't hitting. Also he's spent a lot of time on the DL the last couple of years. Unless the Tigers eat most of his contract we are **** out of luck .

Nikolishin
07-13-2008, 08:45 PM
signing bonds

Tragedy
07-14-2008, 12:03 AM
They're in a tough spot. They're at .500, so they could throw their eggs in one basket and go for it all this year. Or, they could trade away some guys that just may not be re-signed (Renteria and Pudge, possibly).

Tough Deadline for the Tigrers.

jphenix2002
07-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Would Toronto buy Renteria as an upgrade over Eckstein? Hm...I could actually see that deal working if the Jays are trying to move Eckstein to the Orioles. I guess that would depend on what the O's would give back.
I think the Tigers could live with Burnett walking away at the end of the season.
And signing Bonds would be BAD. Definately a mistake, I don't care how much his agent or baseball tonight talks him up. The Tigers don't need a destructive personality in that clubhouse, and Leyland has already shown he has trouble putting his superstars in line.

Also, who else is looking for help at SS or C? The Dodgers, Orioles at ss (think they'd give up Sherrill?), but I don't know what other teams. And another question, does anybody know if the Tigers are on Burnett's no trade list? That would make my previous moot.

Still, there is wriggle room for a move to be made as long as Dombrowski thinks outside the box.

Bondomania
07-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I believe the tigers almost signed Burnett a few years back... I don't know though.. Definitly tough spot for the tigers.. i really think it will come down to the first two weeks after the ASG, we have back to back series with inferior competition with Baltimore and KC (who have had our number this year), then we head to Chicago for a 3 game series, and i think that could really determine what we do.. If we come out like gang busters, and take the first 7 games, which i think our team is capable of, and we win the Chicago series, and we find outselves suddenly 4 games back or so approaching the deadline, i could definitly see us making a move for Burnett. Maybe we could work out a three way deal :

Tigers get:
Burnett

Blue Jays get:
Renteria + prospect (from us)
Prospect or two (From Orioles)

Orioles get:
Eckstein

I think that would work out well for everyone and what they are trying to accomplish.. maybe if we threw in someone, maybe we could get Sherrill, but i wouldn't hold my breathe on it..

Zoomlander
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
The jays are gunna hold out for something better

Bondomania
07-15-2008, 01:02 PM
eh, if we were to offer up a high ceiling prospect or two, i believe we could get burnett... i wouldn't give up any elite prospect.. but i would give up a high risk high reward type guy... maybe brent clevlen and maybe alfredo figaro

Bondomania
07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
the phillies made an initial offer, and i think that the jays weren't impressed at all... plus the phillies have a man crush on Bedard...

stanpapi
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
...you don't make any trades exclusively for this year either. Farm system is depleted, so you trade Renteria to an NL contender for some good prospects and see what Santiago can do every day. We're stuck with Inge, so what can we get for Pudge to a contender in need of a the second part of a platoon? Sheff is done, at least he's still hurt, so you either buy him out or send him to FLA until the spring. I'd also be open to trades invovling Todd Jones, expecially if real prospects come with the deal. In short, you have to say, okay, we're not out, but we're not contending either. I don't believe we can win with Renteria, Jones, and Sheff. So, in some cases, let's see what the B-team can do. I mean, Joyce is the AL Player of the Week, so you go with him.

Bondomania
07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
i think it really all depends on how we come out of the gates after the all-star game... if we come out hot then i think we make a trade, if we come out slow, then i think we sell some pieces off and play for next year

IndiansFan337
07-16-2008, 01:14 AM
They don't have that many prospect available, since Porcello probably won't be available via trade.

So I assume that this team won't make any other moves.

Bondomania
07-16-2008, 08:33 AM
we have a a lot of prospects with huge ceilings... unfortunatly they are still extremely raw

REGular
07-20-2008, 03:05 PM
why would the Tigers not send Pudge to the Marlins for prospects?

The fish have a deep, and good, mlb-ready-type prospects.

Isn't Inge playing some decent time at catcher?

smarkow
07-20-2008, 03:44 PM
#1, Pudge has picked it up recently and he's still a great catcher. On the season, he's batting .295 now. You may say that he's worth the most he's going to be worth in terms of trade value, but i'm sure the Tigers feel they can still win the division. If that is the case, theres no way they are going to trade Pudge.

Inge is playing some decent catcher, but he has made it perfectly clear that he does not want to become a catcher again. My opinion, is that he should have no choice in the matter, if he wants some playing time.

DamusFucious777
07-20-2008, 10:59 PM
When the Tigers declined Pudge trade talks with the Marlins, that's an indicator we are on the verge of signing him for 2009.

Look for another season of platoon featuring Pudge and Inge.

stanpapi
07-21-2008, 09:00 AM
When the Tigers declined Pudge trade talks with the Marlins, that's an indicator we are on the verge of signing him for 2009.

Look for another season of platoon featuring Pudge and Inge.

It will be the worst $19-million ever spent.

smarkow
07-21-2008, 09:29 AM
It will be the worst $19-million ever spent.

What about Sheff?

On another note, can you imagine if Juan Gonzalez had signed his contract years ago? 7 Years, $148 million, would have just come off the books after the 2007 season. WOW

DamusFucious777
07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
The Tigers offer to Gonzalez was for 8Y/$140M -- ending with the current 2008 season.

Bondomania
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
i don't think that that is the case.. i think DD is waiting out the next two weeks to see how the team plays.. if they are out of it, then i can see the trading him. Just because we trade him doesn't mean we can't sign him in the offseason. Also, if we end up trading him, i would really like Josh Johnson, that guy is pretty good...

scottie
07-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Half of pudge's value is in how he calls the game. that is very hard to replace. His other half is in his defence behind the plate, veteran leadership, and offence. If you lose Pudge we have no above average replacements. we're stuck with the hall of famer.

Tragedy
07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
The Tigers offer to Gonzalez was for 8Y/$140M -- ending with the current 2008 season.
God, sometimes the best moves are the ones that didn't ever happen. Just ugly.

If you lose Pudge we have no above average replacements. we're stuck with the hall of famer.
Inge?

Bondomania
07-22-2008, 08:45 AM
inge offers above average defense, but very very poor offense...

JackB
07-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I remember that one tade the Tigers made lookinf for that one pitcher to take them to the playoffs.I know of few of you wer around when that deal went down. For those of you who weren't . The Tigers got Doyle Alexander and gave up a mnor league prospect name John Smoltz. Alexander wenton to post something like a 11-0 record for the Tigers . The Tigers lost in the playoffs to go to the WS. Smoltz wasn't too bad either.
I agree with somebody way back before the ASB. Lets go with what we ave. Maybe a minor change but lets not rent a player again and morgage the future. If we can get on a little rol and beat the teams ahead of us. wins a few series we are right bakc in it.We'll need to win the division unless the Rays or Red Sox totally fall apart. I think we can do it.

Bondomania
07-22-2008, 11:25 PM
jesus christ.. let the alexander thing go, it is a mistake a lot of teams make.. sometimes it works for the present, sometimes it doesn't.. i am not saying we sell off any of our top prospects.. but if we can pull something off using thames, rodney, and maybe a few expendable prospects like ramirez or clevlen or players like that, then you have to consider it..

JackB
07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Let it go? Whats the big deal man? I think I have a right to my opinion here.Are you the moderator? Don't like the post don't read it. Plain and simple.

Bondomania
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
no man, i think that came off the wrong way.. i just hear it a lot out of tigers fans.. i think that people use that as an example as to why we should never make trades involving prospects, it was one example, that is all i am saying, i didn't mean that you don't have the right to state it. It just frustrates me, because for that one time, we have made hundreds of other trades of players that haven't done anything. It is essentially a crap shoot with prospects, and i think if we want to win, we can't be affraid to take chances.. Now, at the same time i not advocating the trading of Porcello, or Iorg or a couple others. I don't remember back then, and i am not sure if Smoltz was a top prospect or not, but if he wasn't then that is just good scouting, plain and simple, and as an organization, if you miss on mid-level prospects, that's okay, because you can't find all the gems hidden within your organization, or sometimes players need that one coach to bring out their ultimate potential

but i do think that we have a few pieces that could be traded, that could look appealing to others, such as ramirez, clevlen, rainwater, o'brien..

JackB
07-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey its all good. I may have been a little hasty with my reply. I'm sorry on my endtoo. We both want.them to do well. I don't read every post written. Maybe you do.So I think I understand where you are coming from.
Trust me . I have been a Tiger fan a long long long time.I used to listen to Ernie Harwell and George Kell on 760 WJR on my radio with static so bad you could barely hear. I live in Vermont. I remember one night. Bill Freehan hit a homerun and that was the only scoring. They kept saying. Its Freehan 1 and the White Sox nothing.Even as grew older I would go out to my car in the driveway and listen to a few innings. Then of course came the internet and tv with the baseball package.My first Tiger game live was at Fenway . July 1961. I saw them loose 8-3 to the Red Sox. I have seen two WS championships. My Red Sox friends used to pick on me about the Tigers before the 2004 WS. I used to say. How many WS championships have you seen? From one Tiger fan to anther. Its all good. Go Tigers. Another big win today.But the damn W/Sox came bck to wn today also. We have some games oming up with them. We'll catch them. I have a good feeling about the rest of the season.

Bondomania
07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
hey, you know, i realize where you are coming from, i live in the detroit area when i am not at college.. and i just hear that argument a lot about the alexander and such, and it just gets frustrating you know?

i too have a good feeling about the rest of the season, i don't think we will make a huge deal, although if we could somehow steal a player then i am alright, but i don't want to sell the farm either.. but i still think we need to get a guy to replace nate or miner.. these next starts by these guys could dictate what we do..

JackB
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with you about Robertson. Not a big fan at all. He always seems to take the wind out of our sails. The team is starting to gel. Miggy is coming through with big hits. Granderson is getting on base. Polanco is hitting well again and Ordonez. Well what can I say about him? The guy is just a pure hitter.If we could just get Renteria to hit. I think he is a National leaguer. He didn't do well with the Red Sox either.But we had to take that shot. I hated to give up good young talent but thats the price you pay for a proven guy.The next couple of weeks will tell a lot.