PDA

View Full Version : Why do Many Rockets Fans doubt the Rockets

JordansBulls
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Seriously, I have lived here for about a year and a half now and many fans don't expect much from this team.

I kinda find it strange that a team with 2 superstars who are top 10-15 in the league and a DPOY candidate and great defensive backup center with a great team defense doubts their team to do anything. Many even say they won't even make the playoffs.

Hell if I could switch conferences and teams and be a Rockets fan I would believe our team could win the title every year with the talent that we would have.

richardle9
07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
cause they are not real fans , they are going to take it down this year if not i still love them, Go Rockets!!!!!

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd much rather have a team that makes the playoffs every year and is always exciting to watch than a team that wins a single championship and loses every season surrounding it (like the Heat and the Celtics). Do I doubt their ability to stay healthy and to get past the first round of the playoffs? Yes, but that doesn't mean that its completely out of the realm of possibililty or that I'm not gonna support the team I've loved since I was 7 years old.

Driven
07-11-2008, 06:41 PM
A team won't get respect until they deserve it and have proven themselves. The Rockets have neither proven themselves, no do they deserve respect at this point.

SC1211
07-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Because most fans are idiots.

pippsux
07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
A team won't get respect until they deserve it and have proven themselves. The Rockets have neither proven themselves, no do they deserve respect at this point.

You hit the nail on the head!

Alex-sama
07-11-2008, 07:27 PM
repect and faith are two different things. True they didn't proof anything yet but they showed us we can still have faith in them getting deep into the playoff (22 winning streak with most of the time missing Yao). And this is the 1st year they using Adelman's system. Be patient........

JordansBulls
07-11-2008, 07:43 PM

From other fans yes, but your own fans should.

Driven
07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
From other fans yes, but your own fans should.
They haven't made it to the 2nd round in over 10 years. I'm not speaking on behalf of myself, but fans in general.

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Respect has nothing to do with this and if you don't have respect for your own team, than I don't respect you as a fan. This is and always has been a classy organization with star players and to say "they haven't won in the playoffs in years so i no longer respect them" is flat out bull****. They've given me 2 of the 3 championships that my favorite teams have collectively won (longhorns football being the other one). Do you have any IDEA how hard it is to win a championship? Much less 2? There are 30 teams in the NBA, meaning you have a 3.33% chance to win the finals every year. Throw in dynasties like the Bulls, Lakers, and Spurs over the past decade and you know how hard that makes it? Then look at how hard and competitive the Western Conference is and how unlucky we've been with injuries. Its a miracle we've made the playoffs as many years as we have... Be thankful we're not Clippers' fans, or the Bucks, or the Grizzlies.

Alex-sama
07-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Respect has nothing to do with this and if you don't have respect for your own team, than I don't respect you as a fan. This is and always has been a classy organization with star players and to say "they haven't won in the playoffs in years so i no longer respect them" is flat out bull****. They've given me 2 of the 3 championships that my favorite teams have collectively won (longhorns football being the other one). Do you have any IDEA how hard it is to win a championship? Much less 2? There are 30 teams in the NBA, meaning you have a 3.33% chance to win the finals every year. Throw in dynasties like the Bulls, Lakers, and Spurs over the past decade and you know how hard that makes it? Then look at how hard and competitive the Western Conference is and how unlucky we've been with injuries. Its a miracle we've made the playoffs as many years as we have... Be thankful we're not Clippers' fans, or the Bucks, or the Grizzlies.

Totally agreed!!!! Those "fans" need to shutup or be "fans" of another team :mad:

connorg3
07-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Amen brother. Fact is that Basketball is entertainment. If you have all of your potential for happiness hinging on the success of your NBA team, then you need to get a life. Don't take this **** so damn seriously. I agree that i would rather have a team that was FUN to watch and was competitive then won one championship and fizzled. Also, I have much respect for this team. Many players work hard on it. It's a blue collar team that many people respect. If you think that the organization isn't working its *** off to regain fans love, then you're crazy. We have a damn good coach, and the GM has made many more smart moves then CD ever did. CD took big risks, and a couple proved good, but many sucked ***. More then anything, this organization has remained classy. Why do you think the last uniforms had pin stripes? Some people would ***** no matter what. I am not a fan of Boston teams by any stretch of the imagination, but i have to give props to Sox fans because of how long they went with being ****ty, but their fans would defend their team vehemently. You can dislike a player or group of players. You can dislike the management or ownership. But if you're a fan you gotta love your team and not be fair weathered. I love the Rox, even if we were the worst team in the league!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
07-12-2008, 12:25 AM
i love the houston rockets

champs 08-09 :]

bball1217
07-12-2008, 12:52 AM
i love the houston rockets

champs 08-09 :]

HELL YEAH

G2BOAT
07-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Amen brother. Fact is that Basketball is entertainment. If you have all of your potential for happiness hinging on the success of your NBA team, then you need to get a life. Don't take this **** so damn seriously. I agree that i would rather have a team that was FUN to watch and was competitive then won one championship and fizzled. Also, I have much respect for this team. Many players work hard on it. It's a blue collar team that many people respect. If you think that the organization isn't working its *** off to regain fans love, then you're crazy. We have a damn good coach, and the GM has made many more smart moves then CD ever did. CD took big risks, and a couple proved good, but many sucked ***. More then anything, this organization has remained classy. Why do you think the last uniforms had pin stripes? Some people would ***** no matter what. I am not a fan of Boston teams by any stretch of the imagination, but i have to give props to Sox fans because of how long they went with being ****ty, but their fans would defend their team vehemently. You can dislike a player or group of players. You can dislike the management or ownership. But if you're a fan you gotta love your team and not be fair weathered. I love the Rox, even if we were the worst team in the league!

It's not entertainment. The NBA is a sport. There is a huge difference. Entertainment is a movie, music, video games, etc. Those fans that need to get a life are diehard fans, they want to win. The diehard fans that hinge on their teams success are real fans, they don't need to get a life, they have a life and it revolves around their team in different sports. Fans that want entertainment in sports aren't real fans. You are dead wrong with your post.

Rockets&Browns
07-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Plain and simple, with T-Mac and Yao healthy, with our role players and coach! We are the best team in the NBA and when healthy, it will be proved!

JordansBulls
07-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Plain and simple, with T-Mac and Yao healthy, with our role players and coach! We are the best team in the NBA and when healthy, it will be proved!

:nod:

Couldn't agree more.

{}
07-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd much rather have a team that makes the playoffs every year and is always exciting to watch than a team that wins a single championship and loses every season surrounding it

Good point. The Celtics won a championship but at what expense? I don't see many great seasons in store for them. It was about a decade of lingering around in the cellar after the Bird years. How many years did it take the Rockets to win 50 after they traded for that fat barrel of crap known as Barkley?

Anyway, it'd still be nice for the Rockets to win it all for bragging rights among my pimple face geek friends at school. Plus, it'll definitely UP my self esteem and make me proud when I wear my Rockets jersey!

That is the mentality at work among those so called fans who doubt the Rockets. Those are the types who came out of the woodwork by the 20th game of the streak and were gone almost as fast after it ended. Their doubt is hype based. It's been years since Yao has won the overall allstar vote. ESPN doesn't hype the Rockets as a contender. Kobe and Lebron sell more jersey's than Tmac's. OH NO!

mightybosstone
07-12-2008, 12:25 PM
It's not entertainment. The NBA is a sport. There is a huge difference. Entertainment is a movie, music, video games, etc. Those fans that need to get a life are diehard fans, they want to win. The diehard fans that hinge on their teams success are real fans, they don't need to get a life, they have a life and it revolves around their team in different sports. Fans that want entertainment in sports aren't real fans. You are dead wrong with your post.

I agree with both sides of this argument. I'm a FREAKISH diehard fan of my teams. When my Titans came up a yard short in the 99 super bowl, I didn't talk to anyone for hours... I just went in my room and stared at the ceiling and my mom thought there was something wrong with me. And every year the Rockets' get kicked from the first round, a little piece of me dies. Hell, when I was younger, I used to cry when they got eliminated.

That all being said, as a franchise, you can't argue how good we are. We make the playoffs every year and we're hardly ever in the news for negative publicity. We have two star players which (generally) are loved and respected around the league and we play some of the best defense in the NBA. And this team is TRYING to get better... its not as if Alexander and Morey are standing around with their dicks in their hands. They're improving and if healthy, will prove it this season.

Bottom line, you can't always look back at last season and say "what if". You can't constantly be reminding yourself "we haven't made it past the first round in a decade", because if you do you'll became a bitter, fair weather fan. You have have to keep saying "I love this team and I know that they're trying to get better." Thats how you have to go into every season... with optimism that an NBA championship is still within your grasp.

sep11ie
07-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Its all Houston teams. I've been here for about 9 years now and I'll tell ya what, this is the most most band wagon/fair-weather town I've ever been to. Everyone here has that kick a team when they're down and ride their dicks when they are winning here.

connorg3
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM

Look, by no way am i saying that there is anything wrong with being a diehard fan. However, you can be a diehard fan and still be entertained by watching your team. Getting angry with your team simply because they didn't live up to your expectations and dropping them is the definition of a fair weather fan. That is my point. If you get no entertainment out of watching sports, then you're simply living vicariously through your sports heroes. None of us here get paid by any professional team more then likely. Does that mean you don't care about your team? Hell no. I still have a limited edition water bottle after the second championship with Hakeem on it. I put it on top of my t.v. ever since then every game that I watch. I almost got in two fights at a bar the night the Chargers lost to the Patsies and Colvin and Wilfork danced on the the midfield logo. I've been watching my teams since i was 4 years old. I love my teams, but there is such a thing as good sportsmanship and not everything being about a winning bottom line. It is simply my opinion you should not harbor hate towards a team you claim to be yours simply because they don't do what you want them to. And by nature, and opinion cannot be dead wrong, because it is just that, an opinon. In my opinion, if you are truly a diehard fan, you stick with your team through thick and thin.

According to the dictionary definition of entertainment:

something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement.

Jpripper88
07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't understand how it makes someone less of a fan to question front office moves and think that some years there is little to no chance of a championship. Being a fan doesn't mean that you are senile every year and think your team is the best in the league. Some years the Rockets are not very good, some they are great, some they are terrible. It shouldn't make someone less of a fan because they think a season will be a terrible or ok.

pippsux
07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Go Rockets!

Rhyming Rebel
07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
We Don't doubt are team we just get upset when we don't improve the way every other good team does. I love the Rockets and have always loved them. I am probably one of the most passionate fans in our city. Thats why it hurts so much when we lose. Rockets for Life.

G2BOAT
07-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Look, by no way am i saying that there is anything wrong with being a diehard fan. However, you can be a diehard fan and still be entertained by watching your team. Getting angry with your team simply because they didn't live up to your expectations and dropping them is the definition of a fair weather fan. That is my point. If you get no entertainment out of watching sports, then you're simply living vicariously through your sports heroes. None of us here get paid by any professional team more then likely. Does that mean you don't care about your team? Hell no. I still have a limited edition water bottle after the second championship with Hakeem on it. I put it on top of my t.v. ever since then every game that I watch. I almost got in two fights at a bar the night the Chargers lost to the Patsies and Colvin and Wilfork danced on the the midfield logo. I've been watching my teams since i was 4 years old. I love my teams, but there is such a thing as good sportsmanship and not everything being about a winning bottom line. It is simply my opinion you should not harbor hate towards a team you claim to be yours simply because they don't do what you want them to. And by nature, and opinion cannot be dead wrong, because it is just that, an opinon. In my opinion, if you are truly a diehard fan, you stick with your team through thick and thin.

According to the dictionary definition of entertainment:

something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement.

See the way I read it sounded like you were dissing diehard fans and it was all about being entertained, because for some reason a lot of people now a days just want to be entertained, but yea with this post I agree with everything you do say 100%. When you talk about diehards stick with their teams thick and thin and how fair weather fans don't and all that. So yea that's my fault I misinterpreted your first post.

TMAC94
07-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Go Rockets!

connorg3
07-13-2008, 09:25 AM
See the way I read it sounded like you were dissing diehard fans and it was all about being entertained, because for some reason a lot of people now a days just want to be entertained, but yea with this post I agree with everything you do say 100%. When you talk about diehards stick with their teams thick and thin and how fair weather fans don't and all that. So yea that's my fault I misinterpreted your first post.

No prob bud, my bad for not being clear enough in my first post. :)

Verbal Christ
12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
A real quick summary of professional H-Town sports teams from an old-timer. HEARTBREAK. Its so damn hard to get your freaking heart ripped out of your chest every single year. This is across the board not just for the Rockets. True Houston sports fans feel snake bit in the worst ways when it comes to our teams, from the Oilers, Astros to the last decade with the Rockets. I dont really care if fans in this city are fairweather or not quite honestly because way too many tears have been shed in past failures. We pay a pretty penny to go cheer these teams on, to support etc.. etc.. and what do we get in return? As for myself, no matter how much I talk down, or ridicule or get upset and disgusted, I'm the first one to say "we'll get em' next year". GO ROX!

Chronz
12-11-2008, 04:24 AM
lol DICKS IN HAND

JordansBulls
12-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't understand how it makes someone less of a fan to question front office moves and think that some years there is little to no chance of a championship. Being a fan doesn't mean that you are senile every year and think your team is the best in the league. Some years the Rockets are not very good, some they are great, some they are terrible. It shouldn't make someone less of a fan because they think a season will be a terrible or ok.

I think you are right on money with that comment.

mightybosstone
12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow.... this thread is OLD. Which antique shop did you find this in?