PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets lose Najera to Nets

fly boy
07-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Eduardo Najera looks bound for New Jersey.

The free-agent forward told the Rocky Mountain News early Friday afternoon things are “looking really good’’ about him signing with the Nets and leaving the Nuggets after 3 ½ seasons. Najera’s contract is expected to be worth about $12 million over four years.

“I’m in a good position right now,’’ Najera said. “I feel really good about it.’’

Najera said he still hasn’t gotten the final offer from the Nets but hopes to by the end of Friday. Asked if he would accept it, Najera said, “Definitely.’’

Najera was in Orlando, Fla., where the Nets are playing in summer league, on Thursday and Friday to meet with Nets executives Rod Thorn and Kiki Vandeweghe and coach Lawrence Frank. Vandeweghe, New Jersey’s general manager, was Denver’s general manager from 2001-06, and traded for Najera in February 2005.

Friday is Najera’s 32nd birthday. Barring any hitches, he called it a “great’’ gift.

The Nuggets had at least initial interest in keeping Najera, and coach George Karl called him twice during the first week of free agency. However, the Nuggets are deep into the luxury tax and any contract would have cost them double.

“They could have made some moves (to clear money),’’ said Najera, who said he hasn’t heard much from the Nuggets in recent days and they never made him an offer.

Najera said last summer he offered to not opt out of the final year of his contract (paying $4.95 million) and sign a four-year deal that would have paid him a lesser salary last season.

“I offered to save them some money,’’ Najera said of last season. “But, for some reason, it didn’t work out.’’

Najera said it would be bittersweet to leave Denver.

“Definitely,’’ he said. “I spent four years of my life there. I got to know a whole lot of people. Obviously, you get attached.’’:

Najera said he and the Nets are discussing a front-loaded contract. One reason is the Nets are trying to carve out a good bit of salary-cap room in 2010 when they are expected to go after likely free agent LeBron James.

The Newark Star-Ledger first reported the Nets had agreed to terms with Najera.
:mad::mad::mad:

fly boy
07-11-2008, 03:46 PM
im so pissed right now..nuggets need to do something and they need to do it fast

bryan71023
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I wish the Nets have gotten JR Simth but we get Najera the Nets suck and watch they don't get LeBron in 2010.

IversonIsKrazy
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
damn mann. this sux:( they should do a sign-and-trade w/ kleiza 4 artest... lol.

Game_Over
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Why would they want Carter and Atkins and not Najera, I just don't get it??

IndiansFan337
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Why would the Nets go after Najera? I thought that they were rebuilding with Harris/Yi/Williams/Boone/Lopez? :confused:

3RDASYSTEM
07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Najera Brings Good Veteran Presence To Help Mold Young Bigz For Nj N Also His Hustle Could Rub Off On Nets, Dont Understand Why They Didnt Pull Trigger On Kleiza For Artest,wow

Broncs4Life
07-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Why would the Nets go after Najera? I thought that they were rebuilding with Harris/Yi/Williams/Boone/Lopez? :confused:

One reason is because of Kiki. He is a big Najera guy, and was responsible for Eddie coming to Denver. Also, Eddie is a hustle veteran. He isn't the most talented guy but he gives 100%, does the little things, makes the most of his ability and whatever other cliches you could use.If he signs this deal, Eduardo will be missed. Best of luck to Eddie!
I'm a little upset that he appears to be gone, but he wants to go where he can get the most money because his career is winding down in the next few years. I'm not upset with him for leaving, I just wish Denver could have found a way for him to stay. :mad:
Right now I have very little faith in the Denver FO, especially since they have made some bonehead moves thus far that include but aren't limited to:

Bringing back PG Anthony Carter, who at the moment appears as though he'll be their starter again next year

Letting JR twist in the wind...A team could swoop in and snatch him up. Granted the Nuggz could match, but would they? JR has more talent and athleticism than almost anyone on the team, he needs to be here long term

No major upgrades yet :mad:

They want to bring the same team back :mad:

They traded into the 2nd round to get Sonny Weems but couldn't do it to get Mario Chalmers? :eyebrow:

And now it appears that they are allowing a key member of their bench to walk away...

Nice job handling this organization :clap:

SportM21
07-11-2008, 06:11 PM
According to ESPN the nets have signed F Najera and F Jarvis Hayes

avsman05
07-11-2008, 06:37 PM
wow so this frees up some space go get a dang PG

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Frees some space to get a PG..... and Ron Artest!

DenButsu
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Key passage from the article:

Najera said last summer he offered to not opt out of the final year of his contract (paying $4.95 million) and sign a four-year deal that would have paid him a lesser salary last season.

“I offered to save them some money,’’ Najera said of last season. “But, for some reason, it didn’t work out.’’

The ONLY reason for the Nuggets not to take Eddie up on that is if they intend to bring in a serious upgrade to the roster. Maybe that is their plan, who knows. There's still a LOT of time left in the offseason. But if we don't land someone really impressive who will fill his shoes and then some, then I'm going to give letting him slip away the big:

FAIL (http://www.shipmentoffail.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/bike_car_fail.jpg)

This is really bad news until proven otherwise.

TrueFan23
07-11-2008, 09:39 PM
i like the ron artes deal but he plays SF, so unless u want him to play PF u have to give them kleiza and one of ur PF(k-mart, nene)

avsman05
07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
i like the ron artes deal but he plays SF, so unless u want him to play PF u have to give them kleiza and one of ur PF(k-mart, nene)

We would need him for perimeter D so he would probably play the 2 go with a large lineup of AI Artest Melo KMart Camby.

Crunchy12489
07-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I think Denver is planning a surprise for the fans... Or atleast I'm hoping.. I think we might land Artest.. Or Jason Williams (maybe?)

I mean, they just cleared some cap room after losing one of their hustling small forwards... Not to mention AC signed for less money

I think Denver is really going to come through here in a few weeks... I bet they are negotiating deals as we speak... They are doing it secretly...

Because I'm sure that they know with the roster we have currently, we might not get as far as the Lakers/Clippers/Jazz... We have to step up..

We as fans need to complain and want a change about this... I'm sure Karl browses the DenverPost to see what people are saying...

TheFuture6
07-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Good luck Najera, God knows we are going to miss your hustle...

Nets fan 93
07-12-2008, 01:40 AM
All about marketing :)

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Good luck Najera, God knows we are going to miss your hustle...

:smirk:

avsman05
07-12-2008, 03:00 AM
New Jersey I think will end up like Portland awesome young talent will be good but not good enough.

liliverson819
07-12-2008, 03:07 AM
there goes the last guy that actually played d every play

Crunchy12489
07-12-2008, 03:40 AM
there goes the last guy that actually played d every play

:nod:

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Am I seeing double?

TheFuture6
07-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Probably the reefer talking Den. :p

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Probably the reefer talking Den. :p

If I had ever done that (and I'm not saying I did), then it would have been a long time ago and not in recent years.

I was referring to the identical sigs - but I guess you probably knew that. :cool:

So I gather the membership is now at 2?

TheFuture6
07-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Up to three now actually.

Iodine, kingbrentg, and myself.

Plus we even started a new club. :D

Crunchy12489
07-12-2008, 09:01 AM
If I had ever done that (and I'm not saying I did), then it would have been a long time ago and not in recent years.

I was referring to the identical sigs - but I guess you probably knew that. :cool:

So I gather the membership is now at 2?

I asked him if I can use it as my sig.

We're trying to send a message.

You know, the Anti-Karl movement! :flag:

roygconner
07-12-2008, 09:04 AM
This is a good move by Denver. Najera said that he wanted near all of the MLE and that is what he got from NJ. They get rid of a player that is not as good as what some of you are making him out to be. Najera is a player that gets overpaid for what he brings to the table, I would say that he would be worth 2 to 3 million a year not 5 to 6 like he thinks he is. Finally Denver's FO does something right this offseason....:clap::clap::clap:

Crunchy12489
07-12-2008, 09:17 AM
When or if they land Jason Williams/Felton/Hinrich/GOOD BIGMAN, that will strike the start of a great Denver offseason!

mgthompson
07-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't think it is all that bad. I mean Najera was not a game changer, and by not signing him allows us to find other players. Afterall most of us complained that the Nuggets want to stay the same.

Well this is the first step that could change up the roster.

Game_Over
07-13-2008, 01:09 AM
If we use this money to re-sign JR than I am ok with it, Najera is a guy we could use but JR is a guy we can't lose..

C-Dub
07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
no doubt about smith, i like this move, it gives us more leeway

cobralou
07-13-2008, 11:16 PM
No surprise that we lose Najera due to the lack of direction from the FO.We don't do a thing to solidify our team and get caught in a luxury tax pitfall.We might not have very many options with trades or retention of existing team players,what do the nuggets have ,to offer to a marquee player or to our own.Everyone including playoff/championship teams are rebuilding and were just dumbfounded with possibly the same lineup and same predictable plays.If you don't listen to me listen to the "experts" wondering why we don't rebuild and allow other teams to strengthen.How far do you think we will get with our current line up without sacrificing an "elite "player.If we no longer have to worry about Golden State then it will be the Clippers vying for the eighth seed.I have been following the Nuggets since they were in the ABA surrounded by talent yet still not a contender this scenario is nothing new,I hope we do the right thing whatever it is !

PostYourEyes
07-15-2008, 09:41 AM

yeah, i know. :faint:

DenButsu
07-15-2008, 10:00 AM
yeah, i know. :faint:

What is the average age of all the bigs in that lineup?

What is their collective playoff experience?

Who will be a *mature* (= not VC so much) veteran presence on that team to help them with their NBA development/education/work ethic/etc.?

In all 8 seasons of his career, Najera has seen postseason action. He's a coach's dream role player - absolutely unselfish, the opposite of a stat padder, works his *** off in games and in practice, always puts the best interest of the team first, can be totally effective without the ball.

A better question than why the Nets made this move is why you're not supportive of it.

Game_Over
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
I also heard they are front loading a lot of the contracts to pay big now so they have more money for Lebron..

DenButsu
07-15-2008, 11:12 AM
I also heard they are front loading a lot of the contracts to pay big now so they have more money for Lebron..

I've heard the same.

C-Dub
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
i really dont think thats a smart idea there ll be tons of teams after him and who says hes even gonna wanna leave

avsman05
07-15-2008, 01:44 PM
i really dont think thats a smart idea there ll be tons of teams after him and who says hes even gonna wanna leave

Jay-Z and Lebron are best friends and hes said he'd love to play in NY so Brooklyn would be a likely candidate. But if they can put an actual team around lebron within the next couple years i see him staying.