PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction

y2shoes
07-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I know i am stealing this from the Celtics thread but here goes if you dont know the rules you have to answer my question and than post a question of your own.
FACT or FICTION: JD Drew will go on the DL this year?

captaintek33
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
FACT! He is a pansy and the Sox are ridiculously careful with injuries to all of their players. My guess: sometime in the last week of July, or first week of August he will pull a vagina muscle and miss three weeks!

FACT or FICTION?
Craig Hansen will continue to develop and become a premier set up man.

BigEric
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
FICTION-Hansen will never be a premier set up man.

Fact or Fiction- The Sox will make a move (trade, signing, etc.) before the deadline.

RedSoxtober
07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Fact -- The Sox will make a minor move to shore up the bullpen but will steer clear of big names and their costs.

Fact or Fiction?
Jed Lowrie will be the Red Sox starting SS in 2009.

asomen
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Fact. By the end of the season Julio lugo will earn the name "mr. unclutch" and epstein will be forced to swallow that big contract and comes in lowrie from here on out.

Fact or fiction...Ortiz will be the same power hitting threat in the lineup the rest of the season as he was before he went down with the wrist injury.

scottyc04901
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Fact - Even though Ortiz has struggled after injuries, he will still be Senor Octobre

Fact or Fiction?
Jason Varitek will retire after this year.

sboyajian
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Fiction - Varitek will play at least 2 more seasons after this year.

Fact or Fiction?
Jacoby Ellsbury will steal 100+ bases at least once in his career.

Tragedy
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Fact - I think he'll just go insane stealing bases one year, but never again get that close.

Fact or Fiction?
Matsuzaka ends the season with 20 wins.

MVPOrtiz201
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Fiction - Matsuzaka walks too many guys, therefore can't get deep into games, and I don't trust the bullpen.

Fact or Fiction?
JD Drew will hit more than 30 homeruns this season?

matthewredskin3
07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Ficiton - Drew had a sensational June, but now it's July and I don't see him having another Month like that. He'll end the year with about 20-25, not 30.

Fact or Fiction?
Redsox will win the divison?

Ajb3126
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM
FACT-The rays r young and cant compete for much longer and the yankees have to many injury problems
Fact or Fiction?
Manny will have 100 RBIs this year?

y2shoes
07-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Fact Manny will have 100 rbi's this year cause he hits 4th and the red sox's get a lot of people on base.
Fact of Fiction: Manny the traveling secretary pusher will be a red sox in 2009?

SHONIE
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM
FACT - Manny will have EXACTLY 100 RBIs this season.

Fact or Fiction - Bucholz will throw another no hitter in his career?

y2shoes
07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Fact Bucholz will have another no hitter.
Fact or fiction varitek should be in this years All star game?

Redsox5762
07-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Fact--he is one of the games' greatest game-callers and the players voted him in (I wouldn't though)

Fact or Fiction--Lester will end up being the Sox's best pitcher this year

scottyc04901
07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Fiction - Beckett will come alive in the second half and Papelbon is shutting games down, both will be better

Fact or Fiction?
Tim Wakefield will pitch at least two more years with the Sox.

WhyDuquette
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Fiction- His back will act up again

Fact or Fiction- Masterson will be in the starting rotation next year?

scottyc04901
07-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Fiction - The Sox rotation will be Beckett, Dice-K, Buchholz, Lester, Wakefield

Fact or Fiction - The Sox will go for a three peat in 09

lil'papi
07-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Fiction- We won't win it this year but will in 09.

FoF- Towelies will defend Drew after he pulls that vagina muscle. j/k

FoF- Ortiz will hit 30 bombs

bleedsREDforevr
07-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Fact - All the pieces will have to fall into place in order to win a repeat, but could very well happen once Papi comes back and the starting rotation gets more stable.

Fact or Fiction - Curt Schilling will play one more season for the Sox

lil'papi
07-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Fiction- please be fiction :D

FoF- Beckett wins 18 games this year

Ewagner
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Fiction - he has 9 now and there are less games after the all-start break. i can see him missing some starts in the second half to. add to that all the games against the rays and yankees.

F/F - Bard will be our missing piece in the bullpen this year.

bballplayer8432
07-12-2008, 11:48 AM
? who the hell is bard? the only bard i know of is josh bard and he blew

F/F julio lugo will not be a member of the red sox for the 2009 season

matthewredskin3
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM

F/F julio lugo will not be a member of the red sox for the 2009 season

Fact - The Sox Front Office will have to take a cap hit, but HAVE to because, well he's Lugo.

FoF - ( I know this has nothing to do with Sox but) The Yankees will win Wildcard this year.

evasiveanswers
07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Fiction. The Yanks are skating on thin ice these days, and one more old guy's bound to get hurt.

FoF - Michael Bowden be traded before ever starting a a game for the BoSox

MVPOrtiz201
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Daniel Bard, he's a pitcher, and doing really well right now in AA.

FoF - Michael Bowden be traded before ever starting a a game for the BoSox

Fiction - The Red Sox think really highly of him, I believe he'll stay with us.

Fact or Fiction - Jacoby Ellsbury will end the year with an average above 300?

Ewagner
07-13-2008, 09:47 AM
fiction - he's still young and learning to adjust. his speed will allow him to go on prolonged funks.

F/F - the red sox are showcasing lowrie to other teams to trade him. i hope not

Tragedy
07-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Fiction. I think the team wants to stick with Lowrie.

Fact or Fiction?
Kevin Youkilis hits 30 HR's.

evasiveanswers
07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Fiction. He's a 25 homer type guy

Fact or fiction- Papi hits 30 HR this season

Bosh=nextKG
07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Fact. Papi will be hitting bombs all teh time when he gets back.

Fact or fiction-Jacoby wins ROY, he still can win i this year becasue he didn't play enough games in the regular season

lil'papi
07-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Fact: If he can get his avg up a little and OBP. Otherwise David Murphy!

FoF: Lugo is back next to torment us even more

Ewagner
07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
fiction - i'm going to say you forgot the word season. i think they are going to send him somewhere and eat the contract or package him like the marlins did with lowell.

F/F - varitek is our future pitching coach?

evasiveanswers
07-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Fiction. He's the future manager

Fact of fiction - Josh Beckett pitches for Boston after his current contract is expired

bosox3431
07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Fact- I see no way they let him go if he can continue to pitch the way he has

F/F- Manny is a Red Sox in 2009

PapelbonLester
07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
more like fiction/opinion...how the f do we no about the future. only fact i agree with is tek is the future manager

asomen
07-14-2008, 04:05 PM
more like fiction/opinion...how the f do we no about the future. only fact i agree with is tek is the future manager

Do you realize every single one of these questions are based on our opinions...that's the whole point of fact or fiction. It's what we believe...there is never truth behind it. That being said...

Fact...Manny will be a RedSox in '09 UNLESS we make a run at teixeria.

Fact or Fiction...Ortiz will produce at the level we all expect for the rest of the season.

Strumpy
07-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Fact or Fiction...Ortiz will produce at the level we all expect for the rest of the season.
Fiction. Papi was hitting .252 before he went down with the injury. I just can't see him getting back to the production we expect from him.

Fact or Fiction: Coco Crisp is the Red Sox player most likely to be traded.

bleedsREDforevr
07-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Fiction - Crisp provides much needed depth and he's cheap. Besides, they have plenty of prospects to trade if they need to make a move

Fact or Fiction - Pedroria will win the batting title

lil'papi
07-15-2008, 09:17 AM
FACT: He has all the tools and drive. It's Pedroia btw. :D

FoF: Youk gets traded in the off season to make room for Tex.

Lord Byron 34
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
FoF: Youk gets traded in the off season to make room for Tex.

FICTION. More likely he gets moved to LF.

Fact or Fiction: Jon Lester will have a better MLB career than Clay Buchholz.

By the way, I love this idea for a forum.

WhyDuquette
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
FICTION. More likely he gets moved to LF.

Fact or Fiction: Jon Lester will have a better MLB career than Clay Buchholz.

By the way, I love this idea for a forum.

Fiction-- Purely based on pure talent

Fact or Fiction--- Lars Anderson will be the starting 1b for at least one season for the Sawx

SocksPhan
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Fiction - Youkilis will be there for many years to come (unless they get texiera to play there) Lars will be packaged in a deal for big bat to replace manny after next season

Fact or Fiction - Jed Lowrie wins the SS job with a great month of August

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Fiction - Youkilis will be there for many years to come (unless they get texiera to play there) Lars will be packaged in a deal for big bat to replace manny after next season

Fact or Fiction - Jed Lowrie wins the SS job with a great month of August

fiction - i don't think it matters how well lowrie plays, and i think he will play very well, tito will stick with the platoon of cora and lowrie until lugo returns from the disabled list. take this into account: lowrie, granted in a small sampling, his .310 with 1 homerun and 7 runs batted in 17 games, and he was still sent back down until now. tito has traditionally stuck with the veteran guys. the only exception is when he gave in to public pressure and started ellsbury in center during the ALCS last year. the bottom line is that lowrie will play well enough to warrant the starting job, but it will not be given to him.

fact or fiction - the sox will "mortgage the future" and give up young talent in order to upgrade this year's team at the trade deadline, whether it be for a reliever, a starter, or a bat.

lil'papi
07-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Fiction: they've learned from past mistakes and we are much better off then past years..

FoF: Dice K will win 20 games during his current deal

Ewagner
07-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Fiction - even though he seems to win games. i think this is just the beginning of the injury bug for him. plus 20 game winners are hard to come by these days. there was one 20 game winner last year and that was beckett.

F/F - Buchholz ends up being our best starter down the stretch.

lurernomore
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Fiction - gotta love the way Lester is pitching
Fact or Fiction - A Rod might have some surprises at Fenway? Maybe 30,000 Madonna look-a-likes?

JPapelbon58
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Fact: I think the sox fans pull what redskins fans did to tony romo and make those jessica simpson masks. lol

F/F: If Matsuzaka's ERA holds up, Can we win Cy Young?

MinnesotaSoxfan
07-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Fiction: He does not go deep enough into games due to control issues. Would have to have an insanely good record to overcome that.

Fact or Fiction: The Red Sox package Lars Anderson Craig Hansen and Coco Crisp (maybe another) for Matt Holliday. Who will replacer Manny next year.

MVPOrtiz201
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Fiction- The FO might in the offseason, but I don't think that they will before the trade deadline (if that is what you meant)

Fact or Fiction - Paps ends the year with 50 or more saves?

WhyDuquette
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Fiction- The FO might in the offseason, but I don't think that they will before the trade deadline (if that is what you meant)

Fact or Fiction - Paps ends the year with 50 or more saves?

Fiction- The SU men arnt that good

Fact or Fiction--- Ryan Kalish will start at least for one season in the OF

The Intimidator
07-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Fiction- The SU men arnt that good

Fact or Fiction--- Ryan Kalish will start at least for one season in the OF

fiction, he will start in the outfield somewhere else though.

fact or fiction: Justin Masterson will become the 8th inning set-up man during the stretch run and during the playoffs

Ewagner
07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Fiction - It will be someone in house but i don't beleive masterson will be that guy. keep your eye on bard.

F/F - We make one move of little significance by the trading deadline

lil'papi
07-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Fact: more than likely

FoF: Bard sees the pen by August he was topping 98mph last night and they said he has hit 100mph a dozen times. (portland)

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Fact: more than likely

FoF: Bard sees the pen by August he was topping 98mph last night and they said he has hit 100mph a dozen times. (portland)

Fiction: I saw that game and his velocity is electric, but they aren't going to rush him into a pennant race. They have learned their lesson from Cla Meredith and Craig Hansen. They'll probably give him a shot in September, in some non-pressure roles.

Fact or Fiction: Michael Bowden's first appearance at Fenway comes while wearing another team's uniform.

MVPOrtiz201
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Fiction - I don't see the Red Sox making any big moves before the trade deadline, and I believe he'll be a September callup.

Fact or Fiction - Pedroia will end the year with more that 200 hits?

yaowowrocket11
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Fiction - I don't see the Red Sox making any big moves before the trade deadline, and I believe he'll be a September callup.

Fact or Fiction - Pedroia will end the year with more that 200 hits?

Fact: Pedroia has 124 in 3 and a half months. I am confident that he gets 76 in about 2 and a half.

Fact or Fiction: Masterson's addition to the pen will turn the whole bullpen around.

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Fact: Pedroia has 124 in 3 and a half months. I am confident that he gets 76 in about 2 and a half.

Fact or Fiction: Masterson's addition to the pen will turn the whole bullpen around.

Fact. I firmly believe that the Sox will throw Masterson right into the fire...meaning that they are going to try to find out if he can handle the 8th inning role. It certainly wouldn't hurt, due to the fact that everyone else who has tried to fill that role has been grossly inconsistent.

Fact or Fiction: Matsuzaka finishes the season with an ERA below 3.00 (It is currently 2.65)

lil'papi
07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Fiction : 0-11 in jammed bases situations won't hold up

FoF: Wake comes back next season

WhyDuquette
07-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Fiction-- His back will act up again

Fact or Fiction-- MDC will be a staple in our pen for years to come

RedSoxtober
07-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Fiction -- MDC will continue to have hot streaks that make teams salivate over him but ultimately will not be consistent out of the pen. Sox will package him during a strong run.

FoF: Dustin Pedroia will follow JD Drew by earning AL Player of the Month in July.

lil'papi
07-21-2008, 08:25 AM
FACT: no other explanation needed. :D

FoF: Ellsbury goes to the minors to work out the kinks

RedSoxtober
07-21-2008, 08:41 AM

I hope you appreciated the gimme. :p

goldglove212
07-21-2008, 09:03 AM

Fiction - they stuck with Pedroia last year I think they do the same with Jacoby unless it gets real bad and starts hurting the team but is Coco much better? :shrug:

Fact or fiction - Pedroia wins a gold glove this year

Lord Byron 34
07-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Who won the Gold Glove at 2B last season in the AL? Usually a guy will win it for like 5 straight years. The Gold Glove is a very poor measure of defensive ability, how else could Derek Jeter win one?

By the way, here is an interesting point brought up by a friend of mine: does anyone in NY want A-Rod to play SS? It seems like A-Rod at short and jeter at third would be a better defensive infield.

The Intimidator
07-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Fiction - they stuck with Pedroia last year I think they do the same with Jacoby unless it gets real bad and starts hurting the team but is Coco much better? :shrug:

Fact: He deserves it, and Polanco, who won it last year, is having a down year. he has committed 6 errors already, which is 6 more than he made last year (yes he had 0 errors last year). Pedroia is outplaying him, having only made 5 errors, and deserves the award, granted he continues to play well.

Fact or Fiction: Varitek is back next year

lil'papi
07-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Who won the Gold Glove at 2B last season in the AL? Usually a guy will win it for like 5 straight years. The Gold Glove is a very poor measure of defensive ability, how else could Derek Jeter win one?

By the way, here is an interesting point brought up by a friend of mine: does anyone in NY want A-Rod to play SS? It seems like A-Rod at short and jeter at third would be a better defensive infield.

This is FOF. :confused:

lil'papi
07-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Fact: He deserves it, and Polanco, who won it last year, is having a down year. he has committed 6 errors already, which is 6 more than he made last year (yes he had 0 errors last year). Pedroia is outplaying him, having only made 5 errors, and deserves the award, granted he continues to play well.

Fact or Fiction: Varitek is back next year

FACT: No way around it. I fully believe we bring in another catcher to catch more often.

FoF: Manny gets his longterm deal either in Boston or elsewhere

RedSoxtober
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
FACT: No way around it. I fully believe we bring in another catcher to catch more often.

FoF: Manny gets his longterm deal either in Boston or elsewhere

Fiction. Manny will get one option year exercised as insurance. The Sox will try to trade him after exercising the option, with a backroom promise that his deal will get renegotiated.

FoF: Jon Lester gets the first start in the playoffs for the Red Sox.

MVPOrtiz201
07-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Fiction. Manny will get one option year exercised as insurance. The Sox will try to trade him after exercising the option, with a backroom promise that his deal will get renegotiated.

FoF: Jon Lester gets the first start in the playoffs for the Red Sox.

Fiction - Lester is doing great, but Beckett is still the Ace of this staff.

Fact or Fiction - Varitek will turn it around with the bat and have a batting average of.260 or over?

kazzy4080
07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
fiction, i think he'll do better but will end up 240-250

fact or fiction when lugo comes back hes benched for lowrie

y2shoes
07-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Fiction Lugo has the position he has more experience going into the playoffs and when his defense is good it is realy good.
Fact or Fiction We trade Manny to Seattle for Ichiro lol!!!

The Intimidator
07-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Fiction, Seattle loses half of its fan base if it trades Ichiro, but I'm assuming you were joking.

Fact or Fiction: The Red Sox make signing either Pedroia or Papelbon to an affordable long-term deal a priority this offseason.

RedSoxtober
07-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Fiction, Seattle loses half of its fan base if it trades Ichiro, but I'm assuming you were joking.

Fact or Fiction: The Red Sox make signing either Pedroia or Papelbon to an affordable long-term deal a priority this offseason.

Fact. They'll approach Pedroia with a reasonable 4yr deal plus an option or two. They'll move more slowly with Papelbon, partly because of his mouth and partly because of his off field 'experience'. There are/will be concerns about his partying.

FoF: Ortiz will finish with more HR and RBI than Manny.

The Intimidator
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Fact. They'll approach Pedroia with a reasonable 4yr deal plus an option or two. They'll move more slowly with Papelbon, partly because of his mouth and partly because of his off field 'experience'. There are/will be concerns about his partying.

FoF: Ortiz will finish with more HR and RBI than Manny.

Fact. He has missed almost two full months, and has only 6 fewer HR and 19 fewer RBI than Manny. Before his injury, Papi had 13 HR and 43 RBI, and was on pace to hit 39 HR and drive in 130 runs overall. Taking into account that he was in that terrible slump for most of April, those were impressive projections. I say he drives in another 50-55 runs the rest of the season, possibly more, and will edge out Manny by an RBI or two. I think he will still end up with around 30-35 HR, and will beat Manny out by 1 or 2 HR.

Fact or Fiction: Manny Delcarmen will rediscover how to be a consistent reliever and become a lights out set-up man down the stretch.

Sportfan
08-02-2008, 03:20 PM
i couldn't find the other one, so let's make a new one.

Fact or Fiction: Bay will hit more HR than manny